• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Project M Social Thread Gold

Bleck

Smash Master
judging art by social context without any understanding of the mechanical parts of the artform is a great way to have worthless opinions

Lizalfos

Smash Master
the big picture is that nobody is interested in you unless you have either a lot of money or a lot of drugs
I thought all the people I wanted to be my friends were cool but the above recently turned out to be true.
Anyone know how to critique music? I know some concepts such as melody, pitch and rhythm but when I think about something I listened to, all that comes to mind is just sounds good/bad.
Try to pinpoint how it makes you feel. The just try to say a bunch a factual things (like what instruments are used, the tempo, structure). It is very subjective so you can't be wrong. Critiquing the lyrics is easier.
you need to more than just music theory to critique music lmao

music is art which basically means you need to know modern music trends as well as all sorts of societal context in order to fully understand/critique music
Death of the author says not necessarily. I think it is ok to recontextualize art. Most of art is contextualization of something in life anyway.
judging art by social context without any understanding of the mechanical parts of the artform is a great way to have worthless opinions
I think you are very wrong. Art isn't made only for other artists. I think that if you focus on the social context that you can have a solid understanding of a work. In visual art, it isn't necessary to understand how warhol made each picture of the soup can. Lots of good music comes out of breaking music conventions too.

Art is super pretentious anyway. People like Pollock are iconic in the art world, but it is nigh impossible what is different from a Pollock and a high schooler copying his technique, as the whole point is that he didn't give a ****, and the actual art is that he is making fun of the pretentious art world dictated by rich people with money.

Literally any art is valid if you like it. "Great" art just is just very popular with the general population or critics.

I thought I'd hate pokemon go, but just catching pokemon is just the right amount of effort combined with random rewards to make me enjoy it. Plus, I need to reach level 5 so I can start fighting gyms.

Last edited:

Bleck

Smash Master
what happened to critics aren't important or whatever crap you said a few pages back, bleck?
critics don't matter because they criticize almost entirely by social context; the manner in which they choose to appreciate art renders their opinions meaningless

MechWarriorNY

Smash Master
3DS FC
5387-4245-6828
Critics also don't matter because they don't really do anything important in practice other than giving others a hard time just because they can. Intent/justifications/reasons rarely matter in any context, especially that one, so look at what people say and do to figure them out.

PMS | LEVEL 100 MAGIKARP

Hologram Summer Again
Ew. Just ew. That's literally disgusting. This is why we need a better designed competitive smash game.. Oh wait
but that's why this set itself is beautiful

because it manages to display everything wrong with brawl in a setting where top players are still taking it seriously despite this cognitive dissonance that it's very clearly not a competitive game

complete with m2k saying "brawl sucks" at the end and d1 telling the stream "don't listen to m2k" lmaoooooo

and yet, we can still see that brawl, either by design or by the sheer will of the players, was turned into a game of tense mindgames and situations where the only logical decision is to wait for the other player to move in an indefinite standoff

like clearly that's not ideal for "a smash game" but it's the ideal competitive vision of brawl itself, which creates this sort of beauty of seeing the game mechanics pushed to their logical conclusion, even if the result is so absurd that the players can't help but laugh

this is what competitive gaming is all about lmao

Last edited:

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
You should have seen some of Zero's later sets vs IC players in Brawl. Would make that set look mild on Play 2 Win.

Surprised no one linked M2K vs Meep or some of the sets he used Scrooging (before we put that rule in, top kek).

OR RICH BROWN VS WILL (Watch past 1:30 to see what I mean) (DKWill is his tag now IIRC)
I got to watch the entire thing Live when it happened, Infamous

Last edited:

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
Brawl gets a bad rep, community probably could have improved Brawl but nobody wanted to be called a scrub for experimenting with ruleset changes. Bring up the idea of character bans, new stages, different stock counts, and it's like you're promoting Senior Citizen abuse or some horrible offensive thing.

If Brawl ever came back big, I'd imagine MK + IC's would be removed, or 1-2 stock count. There's no way to compete with Shiny Smash 4, if you stick to the old rules that tried to nerf MK in 5 different ways without banning him.

Last edited:

Bleck

Smash Master
brawl is like melee, in that the metagame would be a lot less stale and horrible if all stages (or at least more than usual) were allowed in competitive play

Lizalfos

Smash Master
brawl is garbage but hey so is every other fighting game*

*nidhogg is the exception
I really like nidhogg but it can also be really cheesy sometimes. Not all interactions are intuitive, and certain options are just worse than others. At least I can still use cartwheels for swag.
You should have seen some of Zero's later sets vs IC players in Brawl. Would make that set look mild on Play 2 Win.

Surprised no one linked M2K vs Meep or some of the sets he used Scrooging (before we put that rule in, top kek).

OR RICH BROWN VS WILL (Watch past 1:30 to see what I mean) (DKWill is his tag now IIRC)
I got to watch the entire thing Live when it happened, Infamous
DK.
Playing to win.
AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH
brawl is like melee, in that the metagame would be a lot less stale and horrible if all stages (or at least more than usual) were allowed in competitive play
Except in Melee PS1 is the jankiest stage, and it benefits fox. I wouldn't be surprised if all banned stages were best for fox, just due to sheer recovery and shine gimping.

Bleck

Smash Master
all stages are the best for fox, because he is broken - and every melee player misses the irony in making a joke out of how brawl's metagame suffered for not having banned metaknight early enough

I really like nidhogg but it can also be really cheesy sometimes. Not all interactions are intuitive, and certain options are just worse than others.
that's more or less what fencing is like

Last edited:

Lizalfos

Smash Master
all stages are the best for fox, because he is broken - and every melee player misses the irony in making a joke out of how brawl's metagame suffered for not having banned metaknight early enough

that's more or less what fencing is like
If you remove fox then Falco, Sheik, and Marth will still dominate. Samus might become more viable, but Falco still poses clear problems.
I was referring to rolling into your opponent and one of you getting arbitrarily stabbed/disarmed based on whose sword is lower. It would be fine, but lower stances don't reflect the higher range and it destroyed the game feel for me when I learned about it.
and why is he broken? because he benefits from all stages, don't question the logic
That wasn't my point. My point is that additional stages don't game the game less stale. The meta surrounding the characters is what defines how "dynamic" the game is. Most fighting games have different backgrounds for stages. Basically, Bleck needs to play smash 4 in Japan.

Bleck

Smash Master
If you remove fox then Falco, Sheik, and Marth will still dominate. Samus might become more viable, but Falco still poses clear problems.
"fox is broken" is more of a metaphor at this point for "stuff that makes the metagame revolve around it is unhealthy, regardless of how quickly you have to push buttons to make it work"

**** you Bleck. You're dead to me.
I played it at a tourney recently and oh my god metaknight is such bull****

I do miss wolf though he was fun

Grey Belnades

The Imperial Aztec
NNID
OldManGrey
3DS FC
0748-2157-4277
shaving is master race
i prefer men who shave
I wanna shave but I kinda want to go into EVO with facial hair like my hero Roman "the REAL Super Samoan" Reigns.

I played it at a tourney recently and oh my god metaknight is such bull****

I do miss wolf though he was fun
At least you didn't get knocked out of bracket as G&W by M2K at Genesis 2...

I tell myself it was good times but deep down, it was bad times.

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
Odds is one of the few Smashers I'd ever consider paying for a plane ticket (or funding their trip to play Smash in any real notable way). Frankly if NASA still had the Moon program, I'd send him to the Moon. On the condition that his atronaut suit be modified to look like a huge Bowser suit.

Last edited:

Lizalfos

Smash Master
Hulu and it's absurd amount of ads. I don't think that they even go away with premium. I need to make a point out of never using that site, so that they may hopefully one day lose out to better streaming like Amazon and Netflix. I'm a bit upset with Crunchyroll too, because their player is prone to freezing.

Also, why are there a million versions of the Eva rebuilds? How do I get them in a format different from blu-ray? Edit to clarify: I don't own any players for crazy proprietary disk formats. Kinda bothered that Sony tried pulling a Betamax a second time and succeeded. Googling it, I find a lot of other companies were in on it, but it is hardly easy to license their technology clearly, otherwise Blu-ray players would be everywhere and normal HDMI DVD players would die out.
Also, Apple can go to hell for Lightning chargers being needlessly expensive. Apple: all our stuff is nice but only if you use it with ONLY our stuff. Buy a phone so we can pressure you into buying a desktop, laptop, watch, TV box, cloud services, and I hope your whole family is using them too! Also coworkers! Have fun trying to use anything other than iTunes, Apple Mail, or Calendar; otherwise the today tray will sit there uselessly every time you want to check your notifications for the apps you actually use!

I'm not even sure if I agree with the whole FBI thing anymore, which for a bit I considered points in their favor.
Everything!

(Except eyebrows, don't touch those).

the main character of my favorite shonen is my husbando tho

Last edited:
Top Bottom