• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Project M Social Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Archangel

Smash Hero
NNID
combat22386
That might be true for Melee, but remember that PM is a hacked game and as such, if the meta were to get too campy, stuff could be changed.
That is true but that just means slower characters will be dropped again for faster or projectile using characters. Not to different from what happened in melee actually. This game has some tough slow characters but aside from Bowser I don't think many of the others can do much about camping. Maybe DDD if he had super armor on his side-B or something. Still I believe project M atm has the right blend of characters to keep this game form turning into a fast pace brawl or a Fox only FD kind of game. Not to mention just when we think we got **** down they are going to dump a ****load of new characters into the mix and **** it all up again lol.

Also: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hpExZQ9yQgk

JediKnightTemplar

Smash Lord
@discussion.

The truth be told playing like a homosexual is completely legit. Does it take skill to completely avoid contact with another character to obtain victory? yes it does. Should you do it? If it's the best chance to win money then yeah you should. The reason for entering a tournament is to win by any legal means necessary.

So where lies the problem with campy, over defensive, and time out oriented strategy? The problem is in the structure of the melee community. If everyone or even a third of the top player played sheik/puff/Peach and they all camped, planked, and went for time-outs I'm pretty sure this thread wouldn't exist. Project M wouldn't exist, and the melee community would've been dead by now. The Melee community's foundation from the beginning has always been hype of some kind. Crew vs Crew, Coast vs Coast, Nation vs Nation...etc. Then handfuls of players across the country/planet took it upon themselves to make statements when they played. Not to simply play lame, campy, or "gay" but to open themselves up to potential harm in order to show their rivals and the world-wide community watching that they were truly better than whomever they were playing against. That mentality of not just getting the win but making a statement, making people remember you and want to see you play again as well as play against you is what carried the melee community this far and what still continues to carry it to this day.

So what I'm saying in a nutshell is that it's good for you to try to win however you can. However, The life or death of melee depends on how the best players succeed. Should matches like Apex GF's or Pink Shinobi vs anyone at Genesis1 become the standard style of match-ups then the community will be in trouble.
^This. There's a reason you always hear people cheering for Mango and not Armada or Hungrybox.

kaizo13

Smash Champion
so a thought about ike....

as much as I hate getting fair'd from a mile away, I still think ike's range should remain as is, as he is indeed wielding a huge blade. His Fair alone isn't a problem but combined with his current side-b makes it deadly (and borderline broken). Like Kage said, being able to combo you across the stage even with good DI is just ridiculous. Then again, I also wouldn't want to see Ike's QD trixies go (it's what makes him fun to play and Marth boring)

keep his range, but how about a 30-40% KB reduction towards the end of his blade?
obviously he also needs a bunch of startup/endlag tweaks but thats for u guys to figure out

Shadic

Alakadoof?
NNID
Shadoof
??

can you show me how this works?
Lawl, mods ignoring SWF rules. Fairly easy to Google.

As for the camping discussion, I think the game should ultimately be about fun. Even if it's balanced, the game wouldn't be enjoyable if it's all campfests.

:phone:

kaizo13

Smash Champion
i gotta say, i didn't expect this many big names playing P:M this early in development...

DrinkingFood

Smash Hero
It'll only get better from here too. There's a big update on the horizon, I can smell it. There may be no date, but I'd bet money itll be this year or january of next year. Can't wait for the next release... too bad I will be, once again, maining who everybody else mains- ZSS. I already main Falco and Ike. God damnit I just can't be original lol.

DrinkingFood

Smash Hero
Well my christmas was actually sub-par but I was assuming someone else actually had a good christmas when I said that. Last demo release was april though iirc

cannedbread

Smash Lord
pm is gonna be very matchup based i can tell. right now i use a bunch of characters

zelda (melee main lol... she gud now tho)
pit (♥ this guy omg i use him for most matchups)
marf (idk how to even play this guy i just shffl nairs and dtilt all day)
fox (obligatory space animal)
lucas (obligatory space animal 2, love mother so muuch :D)
game and watch (kinda bad but seriously covers my sh** matchups)

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
What MU's in the world is G&W covering?

I used to like toying with him in Melee but I have my concerns on what characters are giving you trouble if he's your go-to guy lool

`dazrin

Smash Champion
It'll only get better from here too. There's a big update on the horizon, I can smell it. There may be no date, but I'd bet money itll be this year or january of next year. Can't wait for the next release... too bad I will be, once again, maining who everybody else mains- ZSS. I already main Falco and Ike. God damnit I just can't be original lol.
Well, that is IF the next version of PM contains new characters, - which I definitely believe it should.

And I'm not just saying that because I'm anxious to play MK in tournament, or play against Starwaffle's Squirtle in tournament. I'm saying it because a large sum of people won't download the next version of PM if it's just physics changes.

The casual crowd won't care much, if at all, even if it contains amazing physics and mechanics coding such as light shielding, melee shield pushback, melee directional shielding, shield regeneration, being unable to grab limbs, or even the 1frame momentum delay/ momentum stacking. Fixing all those physics/ mechanics quirks people are complaining about in 2.1 (as amazing as it would be,) won't drive nearly as many players to download the next version of PM if it doesn't contain some new characters.

I mean, I'm sure we, the competitive crowd would definitely download a physics fix patch of PM in a heartbeat (I would, at least) and would be more than satisfied with that alone. But the fact of the matter is that there are a ton of casual players (lol IGN) who play this game that probably don't care about any of that, and are only waiting for new characters/ stages to become available and won't download any physics changes simply because they don't care.

I'm sure comparing the download numbers from 2.0 and 2.1 support my claim. But if the PMBR doesn't care about the casual crowd, then I'm sure they would just skip out on adding characters and release something like a 2.2 without any new characters with a bunch of physics/mechanics updates.

cannedbread

Smash Lord
What MU's in the world is G&W covering?

I used to like toying with him in Melee but I have my concerns on what characters are giving you trouble if he's your go-to guy lool
pit is my go to guy
gdubs i use as a secondary
he just hits way harder than pit in general
stops low recoveries way better than pit too thanks to his bonerific hitbox duration and vertical recovery
i might be the minority that actually likes gdubs but idgaf

ph00tbag

C(ϾᶘϿ)Ͻ
If you're looking for strings that keep the opponent in blockstun the whole time, I'd be willing to bet even the jab combo doesn't count.

Thankfully, Melee block strings don't work that way for the most part.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom