• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Project M Social Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
question

what button is used for Lucas' charge up thing.

because I would suggest this layout

B neutral- pk freeze
B forward-Psi magnet
B down-charge up thing

I know most shield type moves are down b, but he puts the magnet in front of him, and moves like mario's cape make sense, and having the charge up move as a neutral or forward b makes a lot less sense to me.

If this is already the case then ignore this post.
why is setting pk freeze to neutral b intuitive at all? keep in mind that pk freeze is pk fire with different graphics & element.

Iamthemovie

Smash Journeyman
Is the wavedashing done through a code or by messing with the pac? If by code, could you possibly release that? I'm just itching to play PM but since you're not done with it, I'd like to try B+ with it for the lulz.

Shell

Flute-Fox Only
The Melee Air Dodge system is a combination of a large, multi-part .gct code and .pac edits to character friction, animations, landing lags, and more to get it all to work together. Releasing just the .gct code wouldn't really do justice to the system.

Pragmatic

Smash Journeyman
I've been lurking this thread particularly for quite a while.

I support Project Melee, love the concepts that are being implemented.

How is Luigi and Yoshi coming along? Just curious.

JCaesar

Smash Hero
NNID
JCaesar
man you guys are crazy

it took me forever to get wavedashing, shot hopping and l cancelling down consistently. having noone to play with sucks >_>

i probably miss 1 in 100 l cancels now, but still, it took me months to get used to all the timing. i guess im just slow *sigh*
I feel you man. I discovered Smashboards in late 03, and decided to take Melee seriously and learn all the ATs and such. But I was the only one at my college who had ever heard of the stuff. So I had to teach myself everything, and on top of that, my tech skill is naturally garbs anyway, so it took me a looong time to get everything down. I had multiple apprentices later on who all started from scratch, and they all picked up the tech skill stuff faster than I did. I'd like to think it's because I'm a good teacher :D

Swordplay

Smash Lord
Will I be able to wall grapple as I did in melee? Or due to the need to grapple ledges with brawl characters, is that being left out?
[nvm looks like its going to be left out :( ]

A follow up. You say you don't want this to be a 1:1 but from what I've seen this is the most Melee like game there will be that will be widely accepted. So is the constraint you used to determine whether a melee aspect will be added or not determined by the constraints of brawl engine, character mechanics and balance or are there other things I am missing?

I ask this because I have seen a lot of things in Project M I didn't expect to see thus far.

Grim Tuesday

Smash Legend
Outta curiosity, how long did it take some of you to Get the Advanced techniques down when u were introduced to them?
Well, I'm sort of an interesting case xD.

I found out about competitive play in like... 04 or something, but only took some of the elements from it and applied it to my game. I dash-danced, played with no items, played only with legal stages, I teched and I incorporated rudimentary de-synching into my Ice Climbers game. I didn't learn how to L-Cancel, SHFFL, Wave-dash, or anything else that I thought seemed "too complicated" however.

After Brawl was released and I finished it. I got bored of it and went back to Melee, decided to actually get proper good at it. I learnt how to wave-dash in a day, and incorporating it into my playstyle was a gradual process of about a month (I wasn't playing every day mind you). I didn't learn L-Cancelling until after my first tourney, I picked it up pretty much instantly.

Someone explain why I'm being warned for this?
Because it is semi-racist, disgusting spam?

Grim Tuesday

Smash Legend
It was a truthful description of what I saw, If you were around to see that guys avatar you probably would've said the same thing...it was like...wtf.
I know what a blue waffle is.

Just wondering... I know next to nothing about Brawl Ice Climbers, but what was it that made their chain-grabs so good? Was it the throws? Buffering? Nana's AI? What?

Just wondering because the reason I use Melee Ice Climbers and not Brawl Ice Climbers is because I am more fond of grab combos rather than actual chain-grabs.

G

genkaku

It took me couple sittings to wavedash, a couple weeks of playing a couple matches with my brother every other day or so to implement it.
L canceling was really tricky. I react to the audio, so it wan't nearly as intuitive. I had to screw with the handicap and practice dairs on a ganon before I got it. That was about a month ago and I've been able to do it without thinking for about a week.

popo12

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Nucleotyde
3DS FC
1977-0411-3918
I think I already asked this once, but it got buried (which was mostly my fault), but will it be more difficult to short hop in PM than vBrawl? I've noticed that I can short hop without thinking about it in vBrawl and B-, and I can get it in 64 with very little effort (about half the time if I'm not careful), and I can only short hop with Fox in Melee. Is it something with the controller (even though I've never noticed a big change in vBrawl when I go between CC and GCN), or is it something in the engine? If it's just a Melee thing, are you going to implement it in PM?

Hope that wasn't a stupid question.

Shadic

Alakadoof?
NNID
Shadoof
Short hops are done by letting go of the jump button before your jump animation is finished. Jump animations should be at Melee levels across the cast now.

Gardevior

Smash Lord
I think I already asked this once, but it got buried (which was mostly my fault), but will it be more difficult to short hop in PM than vBrawl? I've noticed that I can short hop without thinking about it in vBrawl and B-, and I can get it in 64 with very little effort (about half the time if I'm not careful), and I can only short hop with Fox in Melee. Is it something with the controller (even though I've never noticed a big change in vBrawl when I go between CC and GCN), or is it something in the engine? If it's just a Melee thing, are you going to implement it in PM?

You can ONLY short hop with fox? Because Fox is a very difficult character to short hop with - one of the hardest.

Laijin

Smash Hero

Dude just tap X or Y.
Its not difficult. Practice it

popo12

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Nucleotyde
3DS FC
1977-0411-3918
I know how to do it, but the timing just feels so weird to me. I know it's not supposed to be hard, but for some reason I just can't pull it off consistently. I think I could do it with Fox; it's been awhile, so I could have remembered that wrong. Is it bad that I can wavedash more consistently than I can short hop?

Short hops are done by letting go of the jump button before your jump animation is finished. Jump animations should be at Melee levels across the cast now.
Okay, that's good to know. I thought it would actually be related to the physics; I hadn't thought of it being in the animations. I was hoping it would be the same as Brawl (which is kind of selfish now that I think about it), but I can always practice.

The King Of Hearts

Smash Journeyman
I feel you man. I discovered Smashboards in late 03, and decided to take Melee seriously and learn all the ATs and such. But I was the only one at my college who had ever heard of the stuff. So I had to teach myself everything, and on top of that, my tech skill is naturally garbs anyway, so it took me a looong time to get everything down. I had multiple apprentices later on who all started from scratch, and they all picked up the tech skill stuff faster than I did. I'd like to think it's because I'm a good teacher :D
Dude same story with me, Clearwater was no where near competitive play. I had to learn all the ATs on one big gnarly webpage. All back in 03 or so... went to local lan centers and got a smash tournaments local here and after cutting edge died nothing else started since.. my friends couldn't (and still) cant grasp the Advance techniques but my apprentices did and much faster then me.

JCaesar will you have any new lucario videos up? :D

And with fox... SH wasn't to bad. just flick the X button.

Grim Tuesday

Smash Legend
Just wondering... I know next to nothing about Brawl Ice Climbers, but what was it that made their chain-grabs so inescapable and easy to do? Was it the throws? Buffering? Nana's AI? What?

Just wondering because the reason I use Melee Ice Climbers and not Brawl Ice Climbers is because I am more fond of grab combos rather than actual chain-grabs, and I'm interested in which the current version of PM is using (I'm aware that Melee throws can't be ported yet).
Quoting so it doesn't get buried.

jahkzheng

Smash Lord
I was just playing some brawl and I was noticing something I've been taking for granted that's not in Melee - smash animations. Brawl introduced a windup animation for every character's smash whereas Melee had a stale looking smash that made the character seems frozen in place. As you can probably surmise, I think this animation was a cool addition to brawl.

Question is.... with all the changes to specials and smashes being made for some characters - some that don't seem to be taken from anything in brawl - will these special animations be existant? Falco, for instance, I assume has an animation that matches Fox's for his new fsmash. But when our beloved clone engine additions come to be, will they be given this aesthetic treatment? If you guys have the power to make these custom animations - as superfluous as they may seem - will you go the extra mile and give your mod just that extra bit of polish? I hope so. :)

iLink

Smash Champion
Quoting so it doesn't get buried.
Well since no one is answering...

Basically its a combination of buffer and how easy it is to just throw the opponent into the other IC's grab. That and you have stuff like footstool resets which aren't much harder to do.

jahkzheng

Smash Lord
We have and will.
Awsome Shadic, nice to hear.
(Lol, *words*)

Also, something else comes to mind - SFX. I noticed Lucas now has a silent side B. Was this how you planned to keep him or is there a plan to have him yell "PK Freeze" or whatever when he uses his modified move.

As far as the clone engine characters go... I hope original Melee sound effects are used. For example, Fully Charged Flare Blade - as totally and utterly situational as it is - needs Roy's "roar" xD. However, if that move is buffed perhaps like I've mentioned in the past, then it wouldn't be AS situational, lol. But I'm sure you guys have some excellent ideas/plans for that.

Edit:
Of course you guys want to use Melee SFX for the additional characters. You've said as much. Silly question... (but then again, it was more of a statement) :p

Grim Tuesday

Smash Legend
Well since no one is answering...

Basically its a combination of buffer and how easy it is to just throw the opponent into the other IC's grab. That and you have stuff like footstool resets which aren't much harder to do.
Thanks, X iLink X.
So... Will Nana's AI be altered so you can't control her throw direction like in Melee? Or will it be the same as in Brawl?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom