• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Project M Social Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shadic

Alakadoof?
NNID
Shadoof
Limited tourny viable characters? what??

Fox, Sheik, Jiggs, Falco, Marth, Peach, Falcon, ICs, Ganon, Samus, and Doc.

Thats limited?
11 characters out of 26.

And of those 11, 4 of those are one-half of a clone. (Fox-Falco, Ganondorf-Falcon)

And Samus, Doc, and Ganon are significantly less frequent than the top 5. (Fox, Falco, Falcon, Marth, Sheik.)

camelot

Smash Ace
11 out of 26 characters? Seems kinda limited...

Although it's better than in regular Brawl. There, there's MK, Snake, and.... who else? Lol.

NAMQ_DrunkeNFeasT

Smash Journeyman
why make all characters good first if we want to melee feel, melee isn't just game mechanics it is also about how some matchups are bad and some are equal

try to take the first steps on emulating related KB to all the melee cast

Edit

I just... want to see a low tier on Melee 2.0 (with he's original melee stat) fighting a high/top tier from melee (also melee stats)

this can make me get hyped

ETWIST51294

Smash Hero
If you think Fox and Falco play like each other you don't know anyone about Melee. Same with Falcon and Ganon. And Ganons have been placing VERY high in tournys lately. And 11 out of 26 is extremely good for a competitive game.

And it's also funny how you include Falcon in the top five and not Jiggs. JIGGS HAS BEEN RUNNING MELEE. Falcon is overrated. I play him believe me. His MUs are horrible. Peach and Jiggs are much better.

BSP

Smash Legend
Nothing wrong with making all the characters viable IMO.

And 11/26 is good compared to Vbrawl's MK and Snake and the others.

Oracle

Smash Master
The general majority of tourney characters are "viable", just hard to do well with. It's just the lower low tiers and the trash that you can't do well with.

Also: This project is sex. Why did you change falco's moves? It doesn't have to be exactly like melee. a nice difference from fox should be appreciated.

NAMQ_DrunkeNFeasT

Smash Journeyman
I want balance btw... >.>

it's just that, I want them comming with their original melee stats, then revamp/balance them so that all the cast is playable viable

BG3

Smash Journeyman
I don't know if anyone mentioned anything about lightsheilding, but it'd be sick to somehow bring that back. I think Brawl only has one variation of the sheild and that's it. Lightsheilding was awesome, but I'm not sure if it's possible to bring it back.

Shadic

Alakadoof?
NNID
Shadoof
If you think Fox and Falco play like each other you don't know anyone about Melee. Same with Falcon and Ganon.
When did I say anything about playstyle? They're clone-characters. That's fact.

And it's also funny how you include Falcon in the top five and not Jiggs. JIGGS HAS BEEN RUNNING MELEE. Falcon is overrated. I play him believe me. His MUs are horrible. Peach and Jiggs are much better.
I was actually talking about general tournament representation. I'm pretty sure Falcon has been played more frequently for a longer amount of time.

ETWIST51294

Smash Hero
Falcon is used more than Peach(don't know about Jiggs) but I have no idea why.

Saying that they are clones is implying that they play the same which is completely untrue.

hotdogturtle

Smash Master
I'm just glad that this project is being done by people who actually know about Melee, and not... the people who have been posting here for the last 2 pages.

Shadic

Alakadoof?
NNID
Shadoof
Saying that they are clones is implying that they play the same which is completely untrue.
..What? No, no it is not. Not in the least. Seriously. "Clone" is a term that's been used since Smash 64. Why are you even arguing this? It's dumb.

And mentioning the fact that they're clone characters is important. The look of the game is important in terms of variety, not just the feel. Or are you honestly saying that a game in which half the roster had the same basic skeleton and same basic animations wouldn't feel less original than a game without any such similarities?

BSP

Smash Legend
Personally, I don't really mind clones, as long as their gameplay is different.

Melo, you left out the knee and the pawnch.

BG3

Smash Journeyman
If you think Fox and Falco play like each other you don't know anyone about Melee. Same with Falcon and Ganon. And Ganons have been placing VERY high in tournys lately. And 11 out of 26 is extremely good for a competitive game.

Really? Wow, I would have guessed different, mainly because Falcon is top of high tier.

ETWIST51294

Smash Hero
Personally, I don't really mind clones, as long as their gameplay is different.
This.

They may LOOK the same but the moves have completely different properties which in high level play you can easily see.

Really? Wow, I would have guessed different, mainly because Falcon is top of high tier.
Falcon isn't considered top of high tier anymore. He's above ICs. Ganon is getting closer and closer though...

Wavedash Master

Smash Journeyman
On a scale of 1-10, how much do the current physics feel compared to Melee? (Example: Fox takes approximately the same amount of time in your project to short hop and fastfall as Fox does in Melee.)

Shell

Flute-Fox Only
Please move the melee tier list discussion and clone semantics argument to an appropriate thread.

@Tri-bow... uh, eight to nine-ish? It's hard to directly compare frame data since jump heights are subtly different and landing detection occurs slightly differently, but the end result is close.

@Anth0ny... I'm working on it.

iLink

Smash Champion
Is there going to be a public beta or is this going to be strictly an official set that won't be updated for a while? And regarding either of those, what would be a rough estimate on when that will be?

Eldiran

Smash Lord
No problem, 100% fine with me. Appreciate it :)

If it does require significant pac editting, please let me know what i'll need to alter so that I don't need to bother you with using a specific pac :)

Thanks Eldiran!
No problem! Tonight's results (in case anyone else is also trying) showed me that 08000100: 0-1 is not sufficient for any throw, and that 08000100: 0-5 instantly breaks the victim free. Also, editing the ThrowHi animation to go far forward or to very low depths is not sufficient and exhibits wonky behavior.

So, next thing is to try and see if I can sneak some code into one of Kirby's Actions somewheres and use it in the way I described.

Shadic

Alakadoof?
NNID
Shadoof
Sorry, I just wanted to correct the people spewing false **** out of they're mouths.
No, you wanted to argue and be pedantic to make yourself feel better because somebody had a different opinion.

As for general physics - Is anything going to be done regarding ledges? I wouldn't be surprised if you guys cut ledge-grab range, but I really would miss not being able to grab ledges backwards. :(

humble

Smash Ace
Quick suggestion; to make tether recovery characters not blow, here is an idea; when the tether reaches towards the ledge, if someone is on it they immediately get knocked off, and the tethering character grabs the ledge. They can still be edge-hogged if they person on the ledge times invincibility frames right, but they stand more of a chance. Oh, and their tethers shouldn't put them into free fall.

I would say keep the grabbing ledges in reverse, but shrink the ledges range overall still.

shanus

Smash Hero
Ledge range will be adjusted when I find the time to do things lol

Eldiran

Smash Lord
Well! Kirby is exceptionally uncooperative, it seems. I even tried using an Action, but no go. Premature grab breaks or normal throws are all I can get. So, now my only plausible idea is to make his upthrow a spike. Which wouldn't be a suicide, just a kill move.

shanus

Smash Hero
Hmmm, random idea, but you know how when you mess up a grab collision box, the body becomes attached the thrower?

Do you think we could employ such a strategy here?

Edit: this could work by making a hitbox connect when they hit the ground so that the opponent breaks off, but doesn't break off during the throw. It'd be nice to somehow enable the opponent to grab break at low percents during it, but I'm not quite sure how.

Uzima (Uzi)

Smash Lord
I did have a thought on the teather recoveries, since brawl stages have so few lowe spots on them like fountain of dreams in melee had, the teather characters will be below the paralel point with the stage quite often, and with the old style they would have grabed verticaly and survived, but they cant if there teather goes directly horizontal(could make ivysoar have any even worse recovery), you guys have thoughts on this problem?

superyoshi888

Smash Lord
Did no one even bother to read what I said about Kirby's hammer? I siad change it so that it is an useful version of his old hammer. As in, more stun and have it not slow down momentum so much(so that you can actually run, jump, and hammer your foes). Maybe a couple extra %. That would at least make it a decent move to build up damage. Keep his ground hammer the same though. For aerial kill moves, he can use his Bair. Maybe buff the KB on his Nair some?

By doing that, there wouldn't be a problem with his old aerial hammer. He would still have aerial kill moves, and have an attack that can build up damage some.

This is the only request(outside of Melee Ganon with Flame Choke+Thunder Stomp) for this project I really have, because Kirby's old aerial hammer could have been decent, but it wasn't. And he was supposed to keep it anyways.

And lol, watch someone read over it and only see old hammer again.

Nidtendofreak

Smash Hero
NNID
TheNiddo
3DS FC
3668-7651-8940
*has only read the first few pages*

For Ike, how about adding a much longer slide to the end of an aerial QD landing? It would give him more approach options. That, combined with the fact you can slide of the edges would give him quite an interesting method of pressuring the "returning to ledge" game of some characters as well.

Of course, I would also hope that QD isn't worthless as an actual attack like it is now. >_>

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom