• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Project M Social Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

Diddy's recovery is alright- its not bad or good. He has options with his double jump, AGT, side-b, and his up-b. Just develop some skill on your recovery efforts

Link's recovery should be fine with a jump, AGT, bomb recovery, up-b, and tether. What more could you ask for...

Samus needs absolutely no work on her recovery. She takes absolutely forever to kill due to her heaviness and her recovery potential.

Dan_X

Smash Lord
No. Diddy will NOT auto sweetspot the ledge. And yes, he still bounces off of the ledge/stage. It's really not that much of a problem, trust me. Play him in Brawl+ more, as his recover will be very similar. You should aim your up+B above the ledge, towards the stage. On many stages Diddy can rid up the underside of the ledge with his up+b, such as smashville.

Additionally, the fact that he can use his jump, then side+b, then up+B, or side+b then jump, then up+b gives him a good deal of recovery options. Oftentimes he won't even need to use his up+b to recover.

Point is, his recovery doesn't need to be good. It is by no means terrible as is either. If you want terrible, look at Ivy.

DotheDiddyMonkeyDance

Smash Apprentice
No. Diddy will NOT auto sweetspot the ledge. And yes, he still bounces off of the ledge/stage. It's really not that much of a problem, trust me. Play him in Brawl+ more, as his recover will be very similar. You should aim your up+B above the ledge, towards the stage. On many stages Diddy can rid up the underside of the ledge with his up+b, such as smashville.

Additionally, the fact that he can use his jump, then side+b, then up+B, or side+b then jump, then up+b gives him a good deal of recovery options. Oftentimes he won't even need to use his up+b to recover.

Point is, his recovery doesn't need to be good. It is by no means terrible as is either. If you want terrible, look at Ivy.
I see your and Drpeppers points and I didn't think about those. thanks for clearing that up.

I also would like to see some more streams if any are going on. Btw I was watching earlier and not sure what happend but I couldn't log into live stream to chat about the stream matches that were going on.

MuBa

Smash Lord
Stuff like this is really irking me. No offense, but I think high level players should decide whether somethings broken or not. And I'm not just talking to you, I'm talking to everyone that doesn't place in Melee tournies that says it's broken/not broken. It seriously CAN'T be worse than Falco's lazors. Just sayin'.
Sorry to burst your bubbles dude but I haven't played P:M at all whatsoever and neither am I going to read every single page or post to see if people have played Diddy with Nanerz or not.

And Orca has pretty much explained what I meant on the last post. I can't tell whether people are theory crafting or have actually played as Diddy in P:M.

Sneak8288

Smash Champion
Out of curiousity, what exactly is still unfinished? Just think it would be interesting to know. =/
That list would be way too long and to the other argument goin on TRUST ME... Diddy will be the last of your problems in this game. Spacies will dismantel Diddy if he can still get wave shined considering you cn pick up bananas with your wavedash, plus if you shine it still reflects. I highly doubt diddy and his nanaz will be a problem at all. On top of that i can see AGT getting a serious nerf in later builds anyway

ETWIST51294

Smash Hero
Sorry to burst your bubbles dude but I haven't played P:M at all whatsoever and neither am I going to read every single page or post to see if people have played Diddy with Nanerz or not.

And Orca has pretty much explained what I meant on the last post. I can't tell whether people are theory crafting or have actually played as Diddy in P:M.
Yeah, I completely read your post wrong. My bad. :laugh:

Sneak8288

Smash Champion
I wish my matches coulda been streamed :(. So much tech skill lol P:M feels so legit. I saved some matches tho to jcaesars wii (i think it was his) hopefully it can get used for the trailer. Shine bair out of shield just felt so much like doing it in melee.

crazycrackers

Smash Journeyman
any more streams for tonight or are they done? I had to go shopping so I missed out on majority of it. I know some of the characters they showed where Yoshi ,Samus, C.Falcon, Metaknight, Fox, Falco just wondering to what else was played that I might of missed.
Almost the entire cast was played, not all at an amazing level or anything but still.

JCaesar

Smash Hero
NNID
JCaesar
I wish my matches coulda been streamed :(. So much tech skill lol P:M feels so legit. I saved some matches tho to jcaesars wii (i think it was his) hopefully it can get used for the trailer. Shine bair out of shield just felt so much like doing it in melee.
^^^ This guy has some sick tech skill. It was a thing of beauty to watch him play.

We would've streamed tonight but we couldn't get any internet. Blame Chibo :p But at least we got some great material for a future combo video/trailer.

Soooo many new people tried P:M tonight though and they all LOVED it! Seriously, no one who plays P:M has a single bad thing to say about it other than obvious unfinished stuff that will come later. HypeM!

Bandit

Smash Lord
^^I play Diddy in P:M, and he isn't really broken at all. Much of what people are saying in this thread is merely speculation.

His AGT, is good, sure, but it hasn't instantly pushed him into the realm of over powered. The thing is, there's no denyig that aside from his recovery being somewhat poor, he is extremely good, and has gotten EVEN BETTER in P:M. The reason that we're talking about Diddy isn't so much that he is broken (though some people seem to assume that), it's because the tripping mechanic as it currently exists isn't rich enough for Melee's gameplay. If Diddy is close to a tripped opponent, it is quite close to a guaranteed follow-up, and it's not exactly difficult to land the nanner in the first place.

Basically, the point of this discussion is to mull over the ways that the tripping mechanic can be updated in such way that it promotes more of a tech-chase like experience. We all know that tech chasing is a skillfull scenario as one has to carefully consider his enemy's movement, and that's the aim here.

With all that said, that's why I find it frustrating that people are going wayyy overboard with the nerf ideas to a rather ridiculous degree. For example, removing the tripping from his nannerz flat out is not only a major nerf, but it would utterly kill an extremely unique element comprising one of my favorite characters in the game.

I'm versed enough with Diddy in P:M to recognize that we need not remove tripping from his nannerz but address the tripping mechanics itself. Some people apparently don't recognize that.
I just wanted to say that I have played as & against Diddy in P:M, and Guy, a Diddy main who placed top 5 at DSO in Brawl+, is in my crew.

I see Diddy on a weekly basis at least in P:M.

-----

Sneak, your tech skill is woooooooooooooow.

OFY

Sonic main since 08'
Had a lot of fun with P:M tonight.

I was the green falcon, had some sick matches with that falco/fox guy :)

.Marik

is a social misfit
Almost the entire cast was played, not all at an amazing level or anything but still.
I main Yoshi and secondary Shiek and Samus, what can I say?

Still had a ton of fun playing almost everybody. What did you guys think of the stream and my commentary?

Hopefully we'll be able to stream again. And by "we" I really mean "me."

:yoshi:

crazycrackers

Smash Journeyman
I main Yoshi and secondary Shiek and Samus, what can I say?

Still had a ton of fun playing almost everybody. What did you guys think of the stream and my commentary?

Hopefully we'll be able to stream again. And by "we" I really mean "me."

:yoshi:
Oh I know. And also thanks a lot for the stream. Everyone seemed to enjoy it, and its great that you guys took requests. Looking forward to more in the future (as well as getting this game myself when its available lol).

.Marik

is a social misfit
Oh I know. And also thanks a lot for the stream. Everyone seemed to enjoy it, and its great that you guys took requests. Looking forward to more in the future (as well as getting this game myself when its available lol).
No problem. It was a lot of fun for me as well. Project M has astonishing potential.

Just a question(Im theory crafting here) How is mk in this game? It seems with his moveset one airdodge and your done for.
I played him a few times.

Meta Knight's jump distance was considerably decreased, and Tornado has weak priority and doesn't rise.

His basic aerial mobility is still decent, though.

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
NNID
UltiMario
3DS FC
1719-3180-2455
He was nerfed drastically. A bunch of his moves were tweaked up, his jumps are barely anything, etc. He's still usable though.
Thats saying a bit much.

The only drastically nerfed part of MK is his recovery and to an extent his Nado. The high gravity, hitstun, etc of P:M helps him out quite a bit against other characters. He's still a solid character. Just not Brawl solid, haha.

Sterowent

Smash Ace
i think MK is supposed to reflect the mobility of the game he's in. really, he's a great character. it's just the settings he's given that either make or break him.

in melee, i can see MK being a really fun character, and a balanced one. it's the limitations of the game that make him too good, too campy, etc.

snake, on the other hand...

Cyan_Blau

Smash Apprentice
But I agree if people say that MK doesn't has to have a gravity like a metal character, even while performing his tornado.

I think it's needed to just adjust the momentum of his tornado and maybe his 2nd jump a bit (also Pit's one), because of the higher down gravity it would be useful.

And I have to say that the normal speed of Melee (I actually have 1.2) isn't that much fast as any people may guess.

(But it's also important that MK still belongs to one of the fastest characters. So hopefully the momentum change wouldn't be an influence on this.)

Sneak8288

Smash Champion
I wish I could show off my techskill. Sneak, what exactly can Falco still do?
He can pretty much do everything he can in melee except fire stall. I saved matches showing off alot such as shine bair outta shield, multi shining, basic dair to waveshine combos, shine wavelanding platforms, shine bair from missed techs. You guys should seriously upload a vid to counteract the moron who posted the random friendly of u guys not trying.

Oh yea.. small but memorable things were in like double laser from the ledge as well as foxes dthrow spike and falcons moonwalk looks sooooo much better in person. And DKs new bair is sexy.

Sterowent

Smash Ace
i think MK as a FFer works wonders, especially for his style of mobility. his aerial momentum, like all dreamland characters, is ****. but his ground mobility, like kirby's and i guess DDD's, is superior to his aerial by a noticeable amount. without the extra weight, he'll probably still need recovery nerfs, so why not optimize him by giving him FFer status, something that really adds to his mobility style? i'd like to see those jumps gain just a smidge more height. but sideB is still king of his recovery.

keep aerial tornado lame. worse hitbox, same trans priority, make it floatier! otherwise, he won't have to worry about juggles as much. that move in the air simply shouldn't be available unless unexpectedly, man.

that said, GROUNDED tornado ought to simply have that lag at the end and just transcended priority. weak vs projectiles, weak to attacks from above, punishable if opponent doesn't get hit and can reach him in time. puts opponent in the air if it's a success, good for juggles.

man, the future's lookin so bright...i gotta wear shades.

MELEEKNIGHT

Plum

Has never eaten a plum.
Premium
i think MK is supposed to reflect the mobility of the game he's in. really, he's a great character. it's just the settings he's given that either make or break him.

in melee, i can see MK being a really fun character, and a balanced one. it's the limitations of the game that make him too good, too campy, etc.

snake, on the other hand...
Snake is so scary in PM.
He gets ***** with combos across the screen, yeah, but he plays so well in PM.
I'm barely half the Snake player as somebody like Ally, and I'm still seeing myself walk over players that I've shown PM.
It's scary that his tilts are even better than they were in Brawl because of wavedashing. His tilts were already monster spacing tools... and now they are even better.
Also, his aerials are **** powerful... The combos that being able to l-cancel Dair, Nair, and Uair open up are sick.
His recovery is better with directional airdodges too. Airdodge out of his Up B to sweetspot the ledge, and the cipher keeps flying up giving him a little protection from above. The gravity hurts, but it hurts everyone. Snake is still going to be a character that just doesn't want to die.
His Dthrow is better because of DC grabs, and he has some nice combos off of Uthrow.
Grenades are still super **** for defense and camping, his DACUS is still great, and in general he takes well to Melee.

A potential issue with Snake though is that he really does feel like a Brawl character in Melee's world. I think he does well in Melee because he's such a good character in general, but I wouldn't be surprised to see his whole character be revamped to play like a Melee character. The best way to play him is to basically use him like you would in Brawl but with combos splashed in your game. Camp, space, live forever, do some techchasing, profit.

GuruKid

Smash Ace
The overall reception of P:M at DSO yesterday was overwhelmingly postive. Quite a few Melee player came to try out the game, and fell in love with it almost immediately.

Sneak's Falco is soooooo legit.

shanus

Smash Hero
i still think falco needs a lot of work, his fluidity still doesn't match melee yet and I can't put my finger on why

fox feels just as fluid, but falco still feels a little clunky. Sneak, any insights?

Chrisu

Smash Cadet
hey guys...awesome project!

just wanted to ask...is there gonna be a pal version?
because if not im really thinking of getting an NTSC brawl version ^^

well anyways im looking forward to this ;)

JCaesar

Smash Hero
NNID
JCaesar
Shanus you gotta see Sneak's Falco, it's so sexy!

He was nerfed drastically. A bunch of his moves were tweaked up, his jumps are barely anything, etc. He's still usable though.
Theorycraft is nice, but I can say that in practice, having played against an active vBrawl MK (as some of you may have witnessed in the livestream a week ago), he can still perform much like his Brawl/Brawl+ incarnation ATM. He can still dair camp, he can still gimp, and he still has an amazing recovery (mostly due to side-B). Keep in mind though that he hasn't received much attention at all at this point, and his playstyle may end up getting anywhere from a slight tweak to a complete overhaul.

He can pretty much do everything he can in melee except fire stall. I saved matches showing off alot such as shine bair outta shield, multi shining, basic dair to waveshine combos, shine wavelanding platforms, shine bair from missed techs. You guys should seriously upload a vid to counteract the moron who posted the random friendly of u guys not trying.

Oh yea.. small but memorable things were in like double laser from the ledge as well as foxes dthrow spike and falcons moonwalk looks sooooo much better in person. And DKs new bair is sexy.
I have your saved matches already recorded and they will soon be uploaded privately for the backroom to take a look at. I'm going to recommend that your matches with Ophelia be made public though, because they were that sexy. Thank you so much for being beast!

Sterowent

Smash Ace
Hey! JCAESAR

when's that stream comin up! i know you don't owe me anything

But YOU OWE ME A STREAM SUCKA

about snake: see, that's what i mean, the last part. where MK relies heavily on physics and mobility to do what he can in the game, snake has other limiting factors, factors that are outside of moving around the board. so long as he can do it at all, he'd have no problems playing the same way he normally would between games. it's the character's connections with their options and how they aide in an overall style of play that determines how they will play. snake just has options good enough to not need to move like other characters, and that's where things must change, i believe.

Shell

Flute-Fox Only
Marik... you need to use MK's new Bair and D-tilt. They're mad good now and I didn't see you using them at all. Trying SHFFLing Dair to D-tilt and then go from there. MK is different, but still really good as far as I can tell.

D-tilt has a lot of DI dependent follow-ups, many of which combo and some of which kill.

CT Chia

Smash Obsessed
Very interesting game. I need a lot more time with it to get used to some things. I can hardly play ROB though, he feels so awkward in it. Something about Sheik also seems weird. Samus on the other hand feels really really nice - especially when they have better missiles. Can't you just make the missiles come out on an earlier frame instead of waiting for a better ground detecting code? That, and bombs should also come out a tad faster. Bombs are awesome that they explode now, but something doesn't feel right about the ball form.

JCaesar

Smash Hero
NNID
JCaesar
Chibo just fyi, changing the timing of the missiles wouldn't really help. It might make the timing feel more like Melee, but they would still fly over everyone's head. We need landing detection so missiles can come out lower to the ground.

Hey! JCAESAR

when's that stream comin up! i know you don't owe me anything

But YOU OWE ME A STREAM SUCKA
Well I couldn't this weekend because I was at a tourney, and next Saturday I'm probably going to King's Dominion (yeahuhzz!). We might be able to do one Friday night or something, but don't hold your breath.

It sounds like Canada and NY will be streaming fairly regularly, and we may make some of Sneak's matches public, so you should be able to get your P:M fix, don't worry ^_^

Sterowent

Smash Ace
cool, cool. hah, i don't wanna be pushy. i just really like watching people play this game right now.
since, you know, i don't have it...oi.

shanus

Smash Hero
Once we review the dso matches we eill make several public, dont worry

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom