• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Project M Social Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

shanus

Smash Hero
Make the lasers purple so we get the best of both world. 50-50 red/blue.

Does Falco still have the funny animation where if you shine too soon out of jump it just falls right back to the ground (trying to do shine bAirs in air)?
he shouldnt, but i honestly forget right now, everything is kind of meshed together in my head of things to work on lol

Revven

FrankerZ
Seriously though, I agree with pretty much everything you said. If aesthetic changes should be argued over, it should be for melee sound effects(Bowser UpB) or voices(Fox) before laser color. >_>
As far as anyone is concerned, SFX will probably be optional due to these reasons below:

1) You currently need to use Riivolution in order to replace SFX, yes you could directly replace the .brsar on the ISO but that causes problems for those who also play other Brawl mods and don't want to waste 10+ minutes every time they want to play a different Brawl mod switching the ISO on their drive.

2) Some people use backups, which are not compatible with Riivolution.

3) File Patch has yet to work with SFX seeing as how 4.0 is still buggy as all sin.

SO, they will probably get to SFX but it's probably on the back burner like most small cosmetic things.

I honestly wouldn't worry about aesthetic things, if the high % SFX screams are an indication of anything, it's that there's nothing to worry about.

And yes, I know you were merely nudging and hinting at SFX but I figured before THIS explodes into another big (unnecessary) discussion I'd post that^.

Shell

Flute-Fox Only
Heh, Thunderhorse, those Falco U-tilt / F-smash animation edits actually change the locations and timings of the hitboxes a little bit... And Round-house kick >> Cartwheel. Regardless, I think you underestimate how much polished visuals can sell a product.

I will never understand the people that prefer the preggorz ganon run. And don't worry about character too much. If that were the case I'd make him Mewtwo/Zard float. Personally, I think the melee run makes him look infinitely more menacing, whereas the preggorz run just looks so comical it makes his whole character into a sort of farce.

DotheDiddyMonkeyDance

Smash Apprentice
Thunderhorse+ said:
Believe it or not, alot of Brawl animations aren't as horrible as you guys think (in fact, I much prefer many if not all of the Brawl animations to Melee animations despite the Melee gameplay being 100x better than Brawl's), and actually most of them, if they were changed significantly, give the character more personality. Falco's whirlwind slashes don't look pragmatic in real combat or look particularly hard hitting, but they're needlessly flashy, graceful, and showoff-ish, matching Falco's personality in the games. By contrast, Fox's moves seem like moves that a professional trained mercenary might perform...if he was in a video game of course, matching his more serious personality (except for the spin kick...that looks more like something Falco would do, but hey, why not give Falco the spin kick fsmash and give Fox the Melee roundhouse!?). And of course, when you think about it, Ganon can never run like Captain Falcon with all that bulky armor on. While awesome, it looks more ill-fitting than the Old Manonjog.

I guess all I'm trying to say is that while we are trying to make Melee, this is supposed to be Melee 2.0, not Melee 1.0. If it doesn't directly benefit the character's Melee game or is a purely aesthetic change that will not change how the move functions at all (I'm looking at you red lasers), it's probably a waste of time if not a regression (since most times it will involve needlessly re-cloning a character).
I 100% agree I think the characters should have different animations so that way While I know this is supposed to be like Melee I think the character differences in animations to differentiate the characters was awesome. No offense but The whole Cloning thing of making animations the same like Falco/Fox Marth roy doc and mario sort of annoyed me. Also it makes the character feel like their own not just a carbon copy.

DarkDragoon

Smash Champion
NNID
LordDarkDragoon
No offense but The whole Cloning thing of making animations the same like Falco/Fox Marth roy doc and mario sort of annoyed me. Also it makes the character feel like their own not just a carbon copy.
When you play at a casual level, then you'll find that to be very true.
-DD

GP&B

Ike 'n' Ike
NNID
MetalDude
Since when has any changes been applied to/considered for Marth that give him any of Roy's qualities?

The changes on Mario's moves give sort of a nod to Doc, but without recreating him. He's a totally new beast, but with very dynamic (and yet similar) strategies. Mario simply has the best of both worlds now.

And you do realize that for a good number of pro players to play this (secondaries and especially mains of Falco), P:M Falco has to be very close to Melee Falco, right?

Try not to overstate it. TH+ was talking largely about aesthetics and not the actual metagame of the characters. And when he meant re-cloning, he meant exactly replicating their Melee counterpart. It should also be understood that Melee clones hardly played alike in the first place.

kaizo13

Smash Champion
Heh, Thunderhorse, those Falco U-tilt / F-smash animation edits actually change the locations and timings of the hitboxes a little bit... And Round-house kick >> Cartwheel. Regardless, I think you underestimate how much polished visuals can sell a product.

I will never understand the people that prefer the preggorz ganon run. And don't worry about character too much. If that were the case I'd make him Mewtwo/Zard float. Personally, I think the melee run makes him look infinitely more menacing, whereas the preggorz run just looks so comical it makes his whole character into a sort of farce.
SHeLL4Prez!! 100% agree with this ^

and TH+, yes we DO need red laz0rz ( eventually) and yes Melee animations are superior to Brawl's. I'm gonna go ahead and assume you never really played much Melee since by the look of your last post you seem to prefer alot of Brawl aspects over Melee. (i'm not here for Brawl)

and don't give me the "this is Melee 2.0" bullcrap (heard it over 9,000 times) *scouter breaks

if we have the ability to change something that will help incorperate that Melee feel, then we should (even if it's just cosmetics) seeing some melee animations on Brawls engine is very satisfying and it does make a difference in the end.

Sneak8288

Smash Champion
SHeLL4Prez!! 100% agree with this ^

and TH+, yes we DO need red laz0rz ( eventually) and yes Melee animations are superior to Brawl's. I'm gonna go ahead and assume you never really played much Melee since by the look of your last post you seem to prefer alot of Brawl aspects over Melee. (i'm not here for Brawl)

and don't give me the "this is Melee 2.0" bullcrap (heard it over 9,000 times) *scouter breaks

if we have the ability to change something that will help incorperate that Melee feel, then we should (even if it's just cosmetics) seeing some melee animations on Brawls engine is very satisfying and it does make a difference in the end.
Coming from a old school falco main... colors really dont matter. Lol falco still feels like melee no matter what color the laser is.

Plum

Has never eaten a plum.
Premium
I still miss old Manondorf :(
I don't play gray hair Ganon anymore because it just feels so wrong to run like I'm in my twenties with that costume. Gray hair Ganon > the rest of his costumes :(

kaizo13

Smash Champion
ok but we have a better "reason" to change them back to red that your "no reason" to keep them blue......and ima say it again,.... it "helps" the feel

Sneak8288

Smash Champion
Ok, your reason to change them is to "help" the feel? In what way is it helping anything. It still works the same and imo it looks better. As long as the uses are the same the "feel" isn't really comprimised at all.

Shell

Flute-Fox Only
No more laser discussion, please. It doesn't really matter one way or the other. Eventually there may be an optional Melee SFX pack, optional textures, etc, so if the laser isn't the color you want it upon release you can have it your way. Don't worry about it.

TLMSheikant

Smash Master
Why is it that all the gliches happen when I get to watch the stream haha. I love it btw. I wanna see metaknight and YTL hybrid but I doubt they will play them. Btw falco dark shine looks bad O_o.

TLMSheikant

Smash Master
Yeah, I saw MK, doesnt look that bad to me. I still wanna see YTL hybrid. The stream was awesome ^^. Looking forward for more PM. Good job developers.

PS- I wanna play it sooo bad.

kaizo13

Smash Champion
they added the darkness themselves as a temporary fix...i think it had something to do with the hitstun of the shine but like Shanus said...darkness shine is no more ^^

DotheDiddyMonkeyDance

Smash Apprentice
Not to sound mean or anything but can you guys who are doing streaming keep hosting from Ustream. I tried the Justin.tv link from the one before and couldn't find anystreams at all that where supposedly going on. Not exactly sure what was going on with it but I have my NoScript to temporaly allow all and eventually allow all and still nothing came up. Sorry to be a bother but I dunno what exactly was and or is going on with my browser.

Rikana

Smash Champion
To compensate for melee red lasers, we're gonna make lasers invisible.

I missed the stream. D: too addicted to Monster Hunter Tri these days.

theunabletable

Smash Lord
Believe it or not, alot of Brawl animations aren't as horrible as you guys think (in fact, I much prefer many if not all of the Brawl animations to Melee animations despite the Melee gameplay being 100x better than Brawl's), and actually most of them, if they were changed significantly, give the character more personality. Falco's whirlwind slashes don't look pragmatic in real combat or look particularly hard hitting, but they're needlessly flashy, graceful, and showoff-ish, matching Falco's personality in the games. By contrast, Fox's moves seem like moves that a professional trained mercenary might perform...if he was in a video game of course, matching his more serious personality (except for the spin kick...that looks more like something Falco would do, but hey, why not give Falco the spin kick fsmash and give Fox the Melee roundhouse!?). And of course, when you think about it, Ganon can never run like Captain Falcon with all that bulky armor on. While awesome, it looks more ill-fitting than the Old Manonjog.
I agree that a lot of Brawl animations and such do look better, but not all. Ganon's run does look a little odd in Melee, but it just plain looks stupid in Brawl.

And red lasers look better than blue, imo. It doesn't matter much at all, I was just curious if they were gonna add red lasers; because imo they do look better than the blue, and they were also in Melee.

crazycrackers

Smash Journeyman
Question. I know that some characters such as Lucario (and I think ROB) need to cancel the action of charging their projectiles in the air (aura sphere and gyro) with an AD. However, with MAD in place, this would mean that these characters would just be helpless after ADing. We're planning on giving them cancels similar to sheik's aerial needle canceling right?

vectorace

Smash Cadet
question is there still a lot to work on for this project. also i dont feel like looking back 50-100 pgs so did u ever get the ground detection code to work or w/e its called. other than that amazing progress and i cant wait for it to be released.

Thani

Smash Cadet
If I may as, how were the high% KO SFXs done? Just wondering since if it was done with a simple code, then perhaps it could be released for others to use as like someone said earlier in the topic, it is completely awesome and was one of the main things I missed from Melee. *Imagines Brawl+ with these high% KO SFXs*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom