• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Project M Social Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Revven

FrankerZ
While I'd take the Dreamgreens stage over the inferior aesthetics of Dreamland 64 any day of the week, I understand not wanting to redo all that work. But I thought the wind was working on that stage? Just port it over Green Greens?
I was talking about the Dreamland 64 stage that Froznhobo made for us that we had in Project M for months until now. We are not going to use Dream Greens because when Melee players see a legit Dreamland 64 it gives us more hype. JCaesar was just telling me the other day that anytime he's brought Project M somewhere where there are Melee players the first thing that gets them excited are some of the stages we have in the game, purely because we were able to recreate them so perfectly or extremely close to how they were in Melee.

Dream Greens doesn't really get them as hyped as Dreamland 64 does, is what I'm saying. It's nostalgia, if they see a new stage like Dream Greens it doesn't resonate with them really well. It's a good stage yeah, I'll agree, but it doesn't have any nostalgia value that Dreamland 64 does (looks do play a part in this case). You're free to replace it but realize again that at tourneys, Dreamland 64 will need to be there.

Starscream

Smash Ace
While I'd take the Dreamgreens stage over the inferior aesthetics of Dreamland 64 any day of the week, I understand not wanting to redo all that work. But I thought the wind was working on that stage? Just port it over Green Greens?
Didn't Mewtwo2000 release a Dream Greens as well that used the assets from Green Greens with the stage layout and size of DL64 and working wind? I'd love to see that included in P:M.

FireBall Stars

Smash Ace
Well, if Dream Greens ends working exactly like Dream Land, it would be basically matter of choice would it?

But if changing into Dream Greens would affect gameplay in any way over Dream Land, then there's no choice as to use Dream Land 64 for tourneys.

I mean, if M22K makes Dream Greens into functioning exactly like the 64 counterpart, it wouldn't matter which one is in a tournament, right?

Fly_Amanita

Master of Caribou
I was talking about the Dreamland 64 stage that Froznhobo made for us that we had in Project M for months until now. We are not going to use Dream Greens because when Melee players see a legit Dreamland 64 it gives us more hype. JCaesar was just telling me the other day that anytime he's brought Project M somewhere where there are Melee players the first thing that gets them excited are some of the stages we have in the game, purely because we were able to recreate them so perfectly or extremely close to how they were in Melee.

Dream Greens doesn't really get them as hyped as Dreamland 64 does, is what I'm saying. It's nostalgia, if they see a new stage like Dream Greens it doesn't resonate with them really well. It's a good stage yeah, I'll agree, but it doesn't have any nostalgia value that Dreamland 64 does (looks do play a part in this case). You're free to replace it but realize again that at tourneys, Dreamland 64 will need to be there.
As a Melee player, I was disappointed to see the regression to DL64. I've been playing on the stage for almost a decade and I liked the fresh aesthetics of the new version. I'm content with no wind, minor differences in platform sizes and positions, and other minor changes; PM is a different game, after all!

I can understand a desire to change things like the ledges on FD for purposes relating to the quality of the gameplay, but switching to an older and uglier version of a stage when a perfectly fine and modern version of the stage is available for public relations purposes is not something that I can respect. While appealing to the target audience is fine, doing so at the expense of quality is not.

I'm also dubious of the idea that this change will even be good for PR purposes. I'd wager that the vast majority of Melee players who have any real interest in this project want and expect a game, that while in terms of physics and gameplay is similar to Melee, is still a notably different game and a thoroughly fleshed-out sequel to SSBM. I'm not going to deny that in most respects, PM is looking to be such a game; I likely wouldn't have any interest in the project if it weren't. Still, I feel that some of the recent changes are needlessly backwards-looking.

shanus

Smash Hero
As a Melee player, I was disappointed to see the regression to DL64. I've been playing on the stage for almost a decade and I liked the fresh aesthetics of the new version. I'm content with no wind, minor differences in platform sizes and positions, and other minor changes; PM is a different game, after all!

I can understand a desire to change things like the ledges on FD for purposes relating to the quality of the gameplay, but switching to an older and uglier version of a stage when a perfectly fine and modern version of the stage is available for public relations purposes is not something that I can respect. While appealing to the target audience is fine, doing so at the expense of quality is not.

I'm also dubious of the idea that this change will even be good for PR purposes. I'd wager that the vast majority of Melee players who have any real interest in this project want and expect a game, that while in terms of physics and gameplay is similar to Melee, is still a notably different game and a thoroughly fleshed-out sequel to SSBM. I'm not going to deny that in most respects, PM is looking to be such a game; I likely wouldn't have any interest in the project if it weren't. Still, I feel that some of the recent changes are needlessly backwards-looking.
I prefer Dream Greens too, your not the only one :)

G

genkaku

lol, I said all of that stuff about dreamland vs. dread greens a while ago and you guys just told me to shut up.
glad it made it in eventually.

Sneak8288

Smash Champion
Every melee player i've personally showed the FD and DL64 love it and actually want to play project m now instead of the opposition there was before with some

I R MarF

Smash Ace
Every melee player i've personally showed the FD and DL64 love it and actually want to play project m now instead of the opposition there was before with some
Yeah, the comments on P:M videos featuring DL64 and Melee FD were extremely positive; Falco400 is definitely right about the nostalgic value these stages have to offer.

XkaruX

Smash Apprentice
The original Dreamland 64 is the best, a lot of people love this stage since ssb, including myself, so please keep the original.

However, Melee FD looks really awkward.. It just doesn't fit Brawl's FD background and Characters. Maybe if it had Melee's bg... but Idk. if it's coming in the demo, i hope it doesn't look like it does now in the videos.

MonkUnit

Project M Back Roomer
The original Dreamland 64 is the best, a lot of people love this stage since ssb, including myself, so please keep the original.

However, Melee FD looks really awkward.. It just doesn't fit Brawl's FD background and Characters. Maybe if it had Melee's bg... but Idk. if it's coming in the demo, i hope it doesn't look like it does now in the videos.
Don't worry, the BG from that video isn't staying. We are editing the BG already. :p

@atlus8: what the heck.

Fly_Amanita

Master of Caribou
I can believe that people do indeed mostly prefer DL64. That doesn't change that I think it looks out of place because of its pixelated appearance and that its inclusion over the new DL is a poor decision.

kaizo13

Smash Champion
i prefer the old DL64......and the melee FD isn't done so u can't say it doesn't look good >> (even now it looks great) and why would they keep Brawl FD's terrible background? it's obviously being worked on

hotdogturtle

Smash Master
Yeah, if only Dantarion could create a code that could load different versions of stages depending on what buttons you pressed...

Theftz22

Smash Lord
I propose color options for multiple parts of the char. For instance I could choose blue falco with yellow lasers, or red marth with green sword.

NAMQ_DrunkeNFeasT

Smash Journeyman
Valtrox! tanto tiempo mano XD que es la que ay XD?

loco no sabia que se habia escurrido la asignacion esta jeje, sabes a que me refiero lo se :p

anyways now on english, whats up with P:M right now people?

@Valtrox: dude I never see you on the msn anymore :O what happened :O?

Ecks

Smash Lord
Out of curiosity, will Kirby get Offense Up from Lucas? That'd be fun to see.

ClinkStryphart

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ClinkStryphart
3DS FC
1891-1406-8889
Imo someone should still make a Melee BF texture. Imo it looks way better than Brawl's version.
This maybe it does look alot cooler its just you face the same problem as FD (Brawl) sort of. Too many character with so called diagonal returns with ^B like charizard for example usually get caught underneath the stage. I mean I sorta like it because it because it would make returning be more trickier but the thing is I really don't like stage because of that though. I mean its the one reason to why Brawls FD got fixed in B+ and other versions in the first place.

Demon-oni

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Thanatos-Demon
3DS FC
0147-1152-7184
How in the **** do you power up his fsmash? It already kills at like 80-95, should they make it traverse the entire stage length or something.

iLink

Smash Champion
Well for those of you that just can't stand looking at the old DL64 stage, you don't have to if I read this correctly,

Well, and I’m posting another stage, related to DL64. We could see this one as an alternate version of DL64, cause the gameplay is the same, and even collisions fit if you enable them (they’re included in the stage file as the second miscdata[2]. The name of this stage is Dream Greens.
Although after watching the video, it might not be the case because I saw apples spawn from the tree.

iLink

Smash Champion
Also that video reminds me.

Why was the raptor boost sound removed? Why was bowser's fair slash gfx removed?

TeiunBomb

Smash Apprentice
Well for those of you that just can't stand looking at the old DL64 stage, you don't have to if I read this correctly [...] Although after watching the video, it might not be the case because I saw apples spawn from the tree.
The download comes with two versions: one with apples, and one without them. So yeah, you can choose either or.

Ulevo

Smash Master
I think the issue with Dream Greens is that when people see it on first glance, they don't know what to think. They'd likely have a similar reaction to "oh, that's cool, I guess." You NEED to tell them that it has the exact same layout and blastzones and functions as Dreamland 64 for them to really get it, I think.

Also, why replace Brawl's background? It has the purple going on right now, and it looks brilliant. I'll admit that Final Destination was better in Melee in a lot of respects, but flying through galaxies isn't one of them.

TeiunBomb

Smash Apprentice
Also, why replace Brawl's background? It has the purple going on right now, and it looks brilliant.
I'm hoping that when the stage is finally available for download, that it'll have two .pacs: one being the Melee background, and the other being Brawl. While most may prefer Melee, I think it would be nice to choose either or. But then, that's just me.

Revven

FrankerZ
http://www.youtube.com/user/cubaisdeath#p/u/5/MSn_-mNkma8

have you reduced the amount of super armour that bowser has now? I understand that he is in testing phase
Bowser is going through changes every now & again by jiang to make Bowser more in line than he was some odd months ago. Some of his armors from the time jiang talked about him in this thread are completely gone or were reduced to a good couple of frames (usually anywhere from 3-8 frames an armor will last) or even smaller tweaks like fixing some things that were off (koopa klaw armor GFX not being on the same frame as when the armor actually starts).

Also that video reminds me.

Why was the raptor boost sound removed? Why was bowser's fair slash gfx removed?
Raptor Boost SFX gives the opponent extreme awareness ahead of time what's going to come (aside from looking at the screen, similar to how Lucas used to shout "PK FREEZE" when firing PK Freeze). Bowser Fair GFX... I think jiang just wanted the Fair to sound beastly so in order to do that he had to remove the GFX in order for the SFX for it to make sense. I could be wrong but I think that's the case... I don't know.

People are being SO particular lately... >_>;

wildvine47

Smash Ace
I have a really fast request for you guys.

Could you post the code you used to make it so the characters scream when hit with a strong attack, like in Melee? I just wanted to make it so that regular Brawl characters did this. I tried to PSA it myself, but I'm a noob at that, so I couldn't figure anything out.
Anyone? I'm really not asking for much.

leelue

Smash Lord
@Falco400
If people are asking for such minor details, it probably means that any major concerns are pretty much gone.

I was watching the videos from the last few days, and i have to say something.

Project M is the best thing I've ever seen.
And I've seen a naked woman before.
In person.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Yes. We don't know whether we'll be able to charge up his smashes via the Kirby hat (apparently they can't communicate with each-other) so the next best thing would be you could charge it for a bit and then hit B again to do an Offense Up Upsmash or something.
Will you guys use the Brawl + CPU AI or make a whole new one?
Not possible atm.
This maybe it does look alot cooler its just you face the same problem as FD (Brawl) sort of. Too many character with so called diagonal returns with ^B like charizard for example usually get caught underneath the stage. I mean I sorta like it because it because it would make returning be more trickier but the thing is I really don't like stage because of that though. I mean its the one reason to why Brawls FD got fixed in B+ and other versions in the first place.
His post said "Melee texture" not collisions. Lol.
Also, why replace Brawl's background? It has the purple going on right now, and it looks brilliant. I'll admit that Final Destination was better in Melee in a lot of respects, but flying through galaxies isn't one of them.
Final Destination is not finalized.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom