• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Project M Social Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

MonkUnit

Project M Back Roomer
Dark_Sonic:
it's certainly not a melee clone
[5:13pm] Dark_Sonic:
looking at pretty much everyone below Peach level, you will not find a melee moveset intact
that's A LOT of characters
not to mention all of the brawl additions
[5:14pm] Dark_Sonic:
however, maintaining the top tiers is necessary, as they are our baseline (both for balance and for the melee "feel")
[5:14pm] Dark_Sonic:
understand?

Just wanted to post this. Feel free to respond to this, but keep in mind I am not saying this, Dark Sonic is.

ClinkStryphart

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ClinkStryphart
3DS FC
1891-1406-8889
Can somebody please fill me in on what ever happened to Brawl Plus? It was the only Smash variation I played for the longest time (over a year) until I discovered nobody still played it, and I moved on to minus.
In short terms the project died because the developers decided to screw with the actual game and didn't really promote what they promised. In other words B+ gold didn't meet the target audience. The Devs claimed to make the game play faster which they did not all they did was speed up the amount of % it takes to kill you basically by shortening stages. They tried to balance the characters but in the end large characters like DK and bowser got punished way too easily by faster characters. All in all though the game basically died. Even Bionic stated that B+ was dead. At least thats to my understanding.

anywho back on topic...

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
I don't understand what Project:M is doing besides trying to be a Melee replacement.
Then stop posting. There's an About page on our website and information in the first post if you want to educate yourself. Sick of biting my tongue about the sheer stupidity you've shown in this thread.

Grim Tuesday

Smash Legend
When/If it's eventually understood, Nana's AI will be modified to behave like Melee although I think Fly_Amanita was suggesting a diversion that would remove wobbling infinites but still keep ICs fairly grab-centric.
Wobbling =/= Alternating Grabs/Hand-off

Wobbling is an abuse of the game's mechanics (characters not being able to escape a grab while in hit-stun) that was removed in Brawl. I can't think of any reason to try and revert it to it's Melee mechanics, so Wobbling is effectively dead.

Alternating Grabs/Hand-Off is throwing the opponent from one Ice Climber to the other over and over.

My suggestion is to somehow prevent Nana from grabbing until after Popo's throw/grab release animation has finished. This means that you can't throw the opponent to Nana, but you can do other chain-grab stuff like D-Throw > D-Air. Nana should still be able to throw the opponent to Popo, however.

I am getting the impression that if you implemented Pichu into Project:M you guys wouldn't use the design worked on TSON, DBK (with some assistance from myself) because it would be a major change for your userbase, despite the fact that the character was terrible to begin with, and the fact that the team wanted to be creative and have a design based on the current HG/SS which will alienate Melee players who feel that Pichu is "too different".
No offense to you and the other people who worked on the project, but I'm just going to go ahead and assume none of you actually play Pichu in Melee, right?

If the clone engine is created, it might be fine to use your Pichu as a starting point, but it'd be good if someone like Unknown522 or myself was able to help with the design process.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
unknown522 is so legit bro, can't wait to hang out with that dude at pound 5

GP&B

Ike 'n' Ike
NNID
MetalDude
Wobbling =/= Alternating Grabs/Hand-off

Wobbling is an abuse of the game's mechanics (characters not being able to escape a grab while in hit-stun) that was removed in Brawl. I can't think of any reason to try and revert it to it's Melee mechanics, so Wobbling is effectively dead.

Alternating Grabs/Hand-Off is throwing the opponent from one Ice Climber to the other over and over.

My suggestion is to somehow prevent Nana from grabbing until after Popo's throw/grab release animation has finished. This means that you can't throw the opponent to Nana, but you can do other chain-grab stuff like D-Throw > D-Air. Nana should still be able to throw the opponent to Popo, however.
Bah, thanks for correcting me. Replace wobbling with hand-offs in my post and you get the idea. I think Fly was generally just suggesting the removal of infinites from ICs, but I don't want to put words in his mouth. I'm pretty sure he's helping the PMBR out with them anyways so whatever is done will be done.

GP&B

Ike 'n' Ike
NNID
MetalDude
I thought hypocritical might be the correct word. I think ironic might still fit though.

ShortFuse

Smash Lord
I'm dying to get back to Smash. My Wii has been collecting dust.
I asked to work on ProjectM last month and didn't get a response.

I see they're nearing public release and it's probably pointless to join now.

What's up, MK26? It's been a while

DiamondbodySharpshooter

Smash Journeyman
So let's see...
Brawl is the sequel to Melee. Brawl+ is one take on improving Brawl, as is Balanced Brawl, making both spiritual successors to Brawl. Brawl- is more of an alternate universe-ish thing to...er something? Would this make Project M a spiritual successor of Melee, a crossover of Melee and Brawl+, or the Laverne and Shirley of Brawl+?
Before I go on with this post, I'd like to change that last line to

the Frasier of Brawl+?
Thank you. Anyways, for those who aren't sure what Project:M is, just think of it as a spiritual successor to Melee, blending what could have been with what's already there. Also, the question still stands from the first page, but I think the answer is pretty apparent, having been a year of amazing progress.

ShortFuse

Smash Lord
holy crap shortfuse its been forever
where the hell did you go

you havent changed your sig XD
I more or less left after Brawl+ died.

I didn't realize Project:M was Shanus' new baby. I thought all attempts of balancing competitive play died with Brawl+. I learned of the objective of P:M less than a month ago. There was no real announcement or anything in the Workshop Back Room.

Xinc

Smash Lord
NNID
xincmars
3DS FC
2981-7601-8481
I more or less left after Brawl+ died.

I didn't realize Project:M was Shanus' new baby. I thought all attempts of balancing competitive play died with Brawl+. I learned of the objective of P:M less than a month ago. There was no real announcement or anything in the Workshop Back Room.
I like how you made it sound as if Shanus did it with some chick, no offense Shanus. :awesome:

kaizo13

Smash Champion
^

i would go with the word...."Meleefied"

it might just seem like a nerf when compared to the almighty Brawl Metaknight
but thats not the case.,..

.Fade

Smash Journeyman
In anything, I'd say Metaknight is buffed...even with less focus on the tornado, faster movement and more options overall make him a major contender. Thing is, unlike in Brawl, the rest of the cast can keep up with MK now.

Ulevo

Smash Master
I don't know. I think Meta Knight will be amongst the high tier cast. I honestly can't see him being ***** in anyway. Which is fine, I want him to be a fantastic character, as long as he doesn't compromise the balance amongst the high tier class that made Melee so great.

Octave

Smash Ace
how about Mantchu

half man

half chu

half wizard
150% black as hell
Do want.

So, I've got another question. What exactly is "Landing Detection" and what exactly is the problem with it?

Also, could someone explain the snag in the clone engine a little more thoroughly? What I got from it was articles, which seem to me to be temporary effects in the game rather than permanent effects (in my mind like how in MTG, you have Sorceries/Instants that are temporary and Creatures/Enchantments/etc. that are permanent) are staying out longer than the game feels they should be out for and it freezes. (or something like that, if that makes sense >>) Do articles actually interact with the character models in game or are they simply visual effects? Does the game code allow extra articles to be added?

Sorry if that paragraph makes no sense, I'm thoroughly confused lol.

Vigilante

Smash Lord
Do want.

So, I've got another question. What exactly is "Landing Detection" and what exactly is the problem with it?

Also, could someone explain the snag in the clone engine a little more thoroughly? What I got from it was articles, which seem to me to be temporary effects in the game rather than permanent effects (in my mind like how in MTG, you have Sorceries/Instants that are temporary and Creatures/Enchantments/etc. that are permanent) are staying out longer than the game feels they should be out for and it freezes. (or something like that, if that makes sense >>) Do articles actually interact with the character models in game or are they simply visual effects? Does the game code allow extra articles to be added?

Sorry if that paragraph makes no sense, I'm thoroughly confused lol.
Landing detection is different in Melee and Brawl. In Melee, you get the landing animation when your shins touch the floor. In Brawl, it's your feet. They want it meleefield so the timing becomes similar. it affects the timing of the L-Cancel, wavedashing, etc. While it will not be fixed in the demo, it is not "horrible" in the sense that you will need to adjust your timing, but it will still be viable.

I know little about the clone engine, so I'll leave it to someone else.

Octave

Smash Ace
Oh, okay. I would think there would be a sort of hurtbox for landing detection, like how certain moves have invincibility on certain body parts. There isn't a way to simply move the place where the landing detection happens on the character model?

GPDP

Smash Ace
Oh, okay. I would think there would be a sort of hurtbox for landing detection, like how certain moves have invincibility on certain body parts. There isn't a way to simply move the place where the landing detection happens on the character model?
Pretty much no, unless they move the bones, which might produce very weird results.

GP&B

Ike 'n' Ike
NNID
MetalDude
If it were that simple, it would've been done a long time ago. Sadly, it's much more complicated or at least still hidden from the team/Dant's wizardry. I want to assume that searching through the sora_melee.rel (not related to Melee, mind you) will give him the answers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom