• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Project M Social Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

MK26

Smash Master
http://www.mediafire.com/?zj2oddmz0yy for ZSS fix!
awwwwww yeah

almost done the neogaf post. ill post my first draft here for... proofreading, if you will.
yo anthony i wrote up a new section
the rest of you help me out
im not 100% sure if it's accurate and stuff

...Collectively, how stupid can we possibly be that we'd all do this without any potential gain coming out of it?

[collapse="new stuff"]For those who lament the necessity of re-introducing glitches into this game in order to stimulate competition: Let me give you a history lesson. In 1991, a game called Street Fighter II came out. It followed many of the conventions of its predecessor, but it unintentionally changed the concept of a 'fighting game' forever. One fateful day while debugging the game on its car-breaking bonus stage, its head developer made a startling discovery: one of his coders had accidentally allowed some characters' moves to finish before their opponent's hit stun wore off. Thus, the character could attack a second time and his opponent would have no hope of escape. Though it was not intended, the developer decided to leave the attacks' interruptability in the released version of the game; he dismissed it as too difficult to reliably use but kept it in as a hidden trick nonetheless. Being members of a fighting community, people discovered the developer's trick and began to implement it into their gameplay. And thus, the combo was born.

Fast-forward to 2000. Combos are an integral part of every fighting game since SFII. The follow-up to the monumental Nintendo 64 success that was Super Smash Bros. is being developed for the Nintendo GameCube. One new inclusion is a directional air dodge, providing a short movement in any direction in the air combined with temporary invincibility, at the cost of being unable to attack or dodge again until touching the ground. During pre-release playtesting, a developer realizes that, if air dodging at an angle downward right before landing, one can slide a small amount toward the angled direction. The head developer decides not to remove this feature from the game, and it makes it into the released version of the game.

Once again, the members of a fighting community reveal what the developers have hidden. Potentially the first discovery of this technique was the result of a failed attempt to catch a thrown item - another feature of this sequel, impossible in the original, was the ability to catch an item in mid-air, but it was mapped to the same button as the air dodge. Thus, if mistimed, an attempted catch would turn into an air dodge. One such mistimed catch low to the ground resulted in the same discovery as that of Melee's developer, but nobody could predict the effect it could have on the game. A jump, quickly canceled by an angled air dodge, became an effective spacing maneouvre - the triangle jump. A jump, instantly canceled by a downward air dodge, became unarguably the most important technique present in the game. Providing a near-limitless number of applications, from spacing to comboing to simply general maneuvering, the ability to move and perform a variety of grounded attacks generally only available while standing still forms the basis of just about every facet of competitive Melee. A huge number of combos are made possible by the wavedash. It changes every single aspect of the game, bar none. I think it's safe to say that Melee would not have the following it does, ten years after it was first released, were it not for a developer that accidentally implemented a mechanic and another who noticed it but didn't try to take it out. That sounds kinda familiar, to be honest.

For those who don't plan on reading the website and will bash anything without bothering to learn about it: the demo has 14 characters. Rest assured that the full game will have 40+ characters, every stage from Brawl (including a bunch that have been edited to be more competitive), most of the ones that were removed from Melee, and even a few returnees from Smash 64. There is a difference between an unfinished demo containing a small selection of near-finished characters as opposed to a full, polished game...[/collapse]

EDIT: help me cut some stuff, that third paragraph is kinda big
EDITEDIT: imma rewrite this, it kinda sucks

Starscream

Smash Ace
^Great post. Makes me feel like a hypocrite though. I cannot stand button combos in Halo 2, get that fighting game **** outta mah shooter.

MASTERLINKX

enjoy my good friend shulk! :)
NNID
MASTERLINKX
Monday February 7th.

My body is too excited, I don't know if it's ready.

I haven't played a game for over 45 days, it's about damn time I did.

ZenJestr

Smash Lord
NNID
ZenJestr
3DS FC
4897-6268-7794
cuz it's probably too expensive in Chile...or he's stripped for cash and has better/more important uses of his money (although this excuse can be used by everyone....but I dunno...I feel it has more weight in some places than others)

NeoZ

Smash Ace
cuz it's probably too expensive in Chile...or he's stripped for cash and has better/more important uses of his money (although this excuse can be used by everyone....but I dunno...I feel it has more weight in some places than others)
It's not too expensive, it's around the same price as in the US, but I don't think anyone would go and buy a console for a demo of a game they like.

B-Rod Z

Smash Rookie
Quick question. Earlier someone said the Wario's side b goes into special fall when he uses it in the air but not when he uses it on the ground and falls off the stage. Will Captain Falcon's raptor boost do the same thing. Sorry if someone has already asked but I haven't seen anything and it was frustrating when that happened in Melee.

Oh and of course DEMO HYPE!

Rikana

Smash Champion
Quick question. Earlier someone said the Wario's side b goes into special fall when he uses it in the air but not when he uses it on the ground and falls off the stage. Will Captain Falcon's raptor boost do the same thing. Sorry if someone has already asked but I haven't seen anything and it was frustrating when that happened in Melee.

Oh and of course DEMO HYPE!
You go into special fall when he uses it in air and when he falls off the stage. You can, however, use his sideB as a recovery option to grab on the ledge unlike Melee.

hotdogturtle

Smash Master
It's not too expensive, it's around the same price as in the US, but I don't think anyone would go and buy a console for a demo of a game they like.
Well, he'd need a Wii when the full version comes out anyway. And PM is worth it :3

Juushichi

sugoi ~ sugoi ~
But Squirtles aerials are actually really good. :| His fair and bair alone are stupid good. He's got the potential to be one of the best characters in the game as a standalone, IMO.

NeoZ

Smash Ace
Well, he'd need a Wii when the full version comes out anyway. And PM is worth it :3
I never bought a Wii either, yet I did buy a GCN for melee, although it was in 2006, but I don't think I'll buy one, even for PM.

I'm just gonna play at a friends house or borrow a Wii from someone, a lot of the people I know don't even use it, or use it just to play gamecube games.

Archangel

Smash Hero
NNID
combat22386
I never bought a Wii either, yet I did buy a GCN for melee, although it was in 2006, but I don't think I'll buy one, even for PM.

I'm just gonna play at a friends house or borrow a Wii from someone, a lot of the people I know don't even use it, or use it just to play gamecube games.
Thats because Wii failed and didn't capitalize on it's potential... I think Brawl represents the Nintendo Wii as a whole....take that however you want to.

Alphatron

Smash Champion
Thats because Wii failed and didn't capitalize on it's potential... I think Brawl represents the Nintendo Wii as a whole....take that however you want to.
The Nintendo Wii is a video game system that holds several core Nintendo games, party games, 3rd party stuff, and a large number of games that go under the radar such as No More Heroes 1 and 2, etc.

Brawl is a game that was diliberately watered down in gameplay mechanics from its predeccesor because its creator believed the player base needed to be united. No...brawl doesn't represent the "failure" of the wii at all. But to each his own thoughts.

Edit: Looking forward to the demo. This is how I express my hype at 2 Am in the morning. The hell am I doing awake?

GP&B

Ike 'n' Ike
NNID
MetalDude
Actually, the Wii sold much more than the Gamecube. I tend to use that statistic to point out other things
like how Other M is absolute **** and its sales are worse than Prime 1, which was an awesome game.

Melomaniacal

Smash Champion
Out of pure curiosity, because I know almost nothing about the programming process for Brawl, what exactly is the difficulty in finding out how to fix landing detection?

Is it purely a matter of finding the correct line of coding to edit?

MK26

Smash Master
http://www.mediafire.com/?zj2oddmz0yy for ZSS fix!
yo anthony i wrote up a new section
the rest of you help me out
im not 100% sure if it's accurate and stuff

...Collectively, how stupid can we possibly be that we'd all do this without any potential gain coming out of it?

[collapse="new stuff"]For those who lament the necessity of re-introducing glitches into this game in order to stimulate competition: Let me give you a history lesson. In 1991, a game called Street Fighter II came out. It followed many of the conventions of its predecessor, but it unintentionally changed the concept of a 'fighting game' forever. One fateful day while debugging the game on its car-breaking bonus stage, its head developer made a startling discovery: one of his coders had accidentally allowed some characters' moves to finish before their opponent's hit stun wore off. Thus, the character could attack a second time and his opponent would have no hope of escape. Though it was not intended, the developer decided to leave the attacks' interruptability in the released version of the game; he dismissed it as too difficult to reliably use but kept it in as a hidden trick nonetheless. Being members of a fighting community, people discovered the developer's trick and began to implement it into their gameplay. And thus, the combo was born.

Fast-forward to 2000. Combos are an integral part of every fighting game since SFII. The follow-up to the monumental Nintendo 64 success that was Super Smash Bros. is being developed for the Nintendo GameCube. One new inclusion is a directional air dodge, providing a short movement in any direction in the air combined with temporary invincibility, at the cost of being unable to attack or dodge again until touching the ground. During pre-release playtesting, a developer realizes that, if air dodging at an angle downward right before landing, one can slide a small amount toward the angled direction. The head developer decides not to remove this feature from the game, and it makes it into the released version of the game.

Once again, the members of a fighting community reveal what the developers have hidden. Potentially the first discovery of this technique was the result of a failed attempt to catch a thrown item - another feature of this sequel, impossible in the original, was the ability to catch an item in mid-air, but it was mapped to the same button as the air dodge. Thus, if mistimed, an attempted catch would turn into an air dodge. One such mistimed catch low to the ground resulted in the same discovery as that of Melee's developer, but nobody could predict the effect it could have on the game. A jump, quickly canceled by an angled air dodge, became an effective spacing maneouvre - the triangle jump. A jump, instantly canceled by a downward air dodge, became unarguably the most important technique present in the game. Providing a near-limitless number of applications, from spacing to comboing to simply general maneuvering, the ability to move and perform a variety of grounded attacks generally only available while standing still forms the basis of just about every facet of competitive Melee. A huge number of combos are made possible by the wavedash. It changes every single aspect of the game, bar none. I think it's safe to say that Melee would not have the following it does, ten years after it was first released, were it not for a developer that accidentally implemented a mechanic and another who noticed it but didn't try to take it out. That sounds kinda familiar, to be honest.

For those who don't plan on reading the website and will bash anything without bothering to learn about it: the demo has 14 characters. Rest assured that the full game will have 40+ characters, every stage from Brawl (including a bunch that have been edited to be more competitive), most of the ones that were removed from Melee, and even a few returnees from Smash 64. There is a difference between an unfinished demo containing a small selection of near-finished characters as opposed to a full, polished game...[/collapse]

EDIT: help me cut some stuff, that third paragraph is kinda big
EDITEDIT: imma rewrite this, it kinda sucks
[collapse="re-up'd"]
For those who lament the necessity of re-introducing glitches into this game in order to stimulate competition: Let me give you a history lesson. A game called Street Fighter II, the successor to the original Street Fighter, was released in 1991. It followed many of the conventions of its predecessor, but its main claim to fame is that it unintentionally changed the concept of a ‘fighting game’ forever. One fateful day, while debugging the game on its car-breaking bonus stage, its head developer made a startling discovery: one of his coders had accidentally allowed some characters' moves to finish before their opponent's hit stun wore off. Thus, the character could attack a second time and his opponent would have no chance to escape. Though it was not intended, the developer decided to leave such attacks' interruptability in the released version of the game; he dismissed it as too difficult to reliably use but kept it in as a hidden trick nonetheless. Being members of a fighting community, people discovered the developer's trick and began to implement it into their gameplay. Thus, the combo was born.

Fast-forward to 2000. Combos are an integral part of every fighting game since SFII. The follow-up to the monumental Nintendo 64 success that was Super Smash Bros. is being developed for the GameCube. One new inclusion in Melee is the ability to perform a directional air dodge – when in the air, every character can gain temporary invincibility and a short momentum boost in any direction, at the cost of being unable to attack or dodge again until touching the ground. During pre-release playtesting, a developer realizes that, when air dodging at an angle onto the ground, one slides a small amount toward the angled direction. The head developer decides not to remove this feature from the game, and it makes it into the released version.

Once again, the members of a fighting community reveal what the developers have hidden. The first discovery of this technique may have been the result of a failed attempt to catch a thrown item – another new feature of the sequel, mapped to the same button as that of air dodging, was the ability to catch an item in mid-air. If mistimed, an attempted catch would turn into an air dodge. One such mistimed catch low to the ground resulted in a player discovering what the developer had previously noticed, but what neither of them could have predicted was the effect it would have on the game. A jump, quickly cancelled by an angled air dodge, became an effective spacing manoeuvre - the triangle jump. A jump, instantly cancelled by an angled air dodge, maximizing slide distance and minimizing time loss, became unarguably the most important technique present in the game. It provided a near-limitless number of applications, from spacing to comboing to simply general manoeuvring. Notably, it allowed players to simultaneously move and perform a variety of grounded attacks generally only available while standing still, which even to this day forms the basis of nearly every facet of competitive Melee. A huge number of combos are made possible by what came to be known as the wavedash. It changes every single aspect of the game, bar none. I think it's safe to say that Melee would not have the following it does, ten years after it was first released, were it not for a developer that accidentally implemented a mechanic and another who noticed it but didn't decide to take it out. That sounds kinda familiar, to be honest.
[/collapse]

Check it out

Plum

Has never eaten a plum.
Premium
Enjoy your PM guys.

****ing PAL.
There are ways for you to play it ya know.
We just can't talk about them on Smashboards. I can't speak about the laws outside of the US, but at least here if you own a physical copy of the game then those means that we can't talk about are legal.

Eternal Yoshi

I've covered ban wars, you know
NNID
EternalYoshi
3DS FC
3394-4459-7089
The Nintendo Wii is a video game system that holds several core Nintendo games, party games, 3rd party stuff, and a large number of games that go under the radar such as No More Heroes 1 and 2, etc.

Brawl is a game that was diliberately watered down in gameplay mechanics from its predeccesor because its creator believed the player base needed to be united. No...brawl doesn't represent the "failure" of the wii at all. But to each his own thoughts.

Edit: Looking forward to the demo. This is how I express my hype at 2 Am in the morning. The hell am I doing awake?
I isn't was a failure but I also feel that Brawl is a mostly accurate portrayal and that potential was very wasted and that the game was a more accurate portrayal of their new "vision".

I'm also awake and it's 1:22.
I'm going to sleep in a few.

Quick Question: Are get up rolls faster in PM or slower in PM?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom