• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Project M Social Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

F-Kaa

Smash Rookie
just introduced PM to some melee mates and they didnt like it. They seemed to be very ****ing close minded about it all...

anyway, main complaints from them (apart from LD and DI) was that momentum of characters isnt the same as melee, and that IASA frames are all "apparently" different for sheik etc

oh and you were very very wrong grim, i went back to playing melee after playing PM, and i was crap! all my tech skill has gone, because of the LD, plus things such as dash dancing with fox was all different timing as well, as well as all his IASA's.
5 matches isn't enough, it really isn't. I was skeptical the first time I played, so was one of my friends, who insisted that all the characters fall faster than they do in Melee.

After 30-45 minutes with PM, I got used to it. I went from thinking about going back to Melee for good (a depressing thought), to being completely infatuated with the freshness of PM. It's different, but it's so similar to Melee, and so well-balanced, that you quickly forget about all the tiny things that make it feel distinctly "non-Melee".

I suggest giving it another go with your friends, because as awesome as Melee is, it loses its luster when it's the only thing you've played for the last decade.

Grim Tuesday

Smash Legend
Did you even read what you quoted, Hotdog? xD

The demo being a "small-scale" version of the final product is POINTLESS when you aren't trying to sell anything. There is no problem between the demo being similar to the full thing

They also have no reason to constantly add things to the demo a la Brawl+, I don't even know why you brought that up.

I'm gonna stop now because I got accused of being overly argumentative earlier. :)

Sterowent

Smash Ace
well, you're suggesting that they release something distinctly not a demo then. either that, or you're questioning the format that is a 'demo'.

D

Deleted member

Did Mario receive tweaks to his up smash and up air for more combo oriented purposes?

I noticed the electric gfx were removed from his fsmash. I'm assuming the fsmash still is one uniform hitbox with good kill power, but I can't tell for sure.

I'm liking Mario. He's definitely made of the right stuff so far. Can't wait to see him ironed out and tweaked for efficiency in balance phase.

Zelda is much more impressive than I thought she would be. I'm glad to say I was wrong. She has an actual flow of elegant gameplay about her.

Despite this, I think she'll have issues along with Snake with fast characters being able to camp them and bypass their projectiles, but that's all conjecture until the balance later.

This is amazing stuff.

Kati

Smash Lord
But a demo of a game is supposed to be a portion of the full product. And the devs said that they want to jump from the demo to the full thing when it's finished. If they add too much stuff to the demo, then they're basically giving us the full thing early, which either:
a) leaves too small of a difference between the demo and the full thing, or
b) leads to a situation like Brawl+ where they're constantly adding finished things to the demo instead of making major large-scale releases.

@ a) the difference will be large regardless of stages due to the demo having only 14 characters. The full version will not be underwhelming simply because of a full roster of polished project m characters.

@ b) letting us have content that has existed for quite some time now is different than adding new content. Again, I don't want to rush the stages they are working on, just let us use the stages that Hobo, Chuy, and other notable stage hackers put time into.

Dark Sonic

Smash Hero
Did Mario receive tweaks to his up smash and up air for more combo oriented purposes?

I noticed the electric gfx were removed from his fsmash. I'm assuming the fsmash still is one uniform hitbox with good kill power, but I can't tell for sure.

I'm liking Mario. He's definitely made of the right stuff so far. Can't wait to see him ironed out and tweaked for efficiency in balance phase.
1. Yes. Upsmash spikes grounded opponents (essentially just popping them up a little with large amounts of hitstun) while acting normally on airborne opponents. Uair was adjusted to be melee Mario's uair instead of Doc's

2. F-smash still has a sweetspot on the outside and a sourspot on the inside like melee mario. However the sweetspot uses Doc's power instead (since it's stronger) and the sourspot is stronger than melee's sourspot as well

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Beggars can't be choosers. You didn't pay for this game; you get what you get. And what you get just so happens to be the most polished Brawl modification release in history. Enjoy!

EDIT:
Erm... why purposely exclude finished things for a demo, hotdog? It's not like this is a retail game that needs to build up hype for people to buy it.
There was barely any 100% finished content that was excluded from the demo. We included all we could. Hope that addresses that!

D

Deleted member

Wow. Mario's so much of an improvement. I'd think these changes would knock him up to around Melee IC's level at the very least.

ajajayjay

Smash Journeyman
so will the mechanic's of lucas's double jump cancel be applied to the other characters who can double jump cancel as well? like yoshi?

slimpyman

Smash Journeyman
The more time i clock in on this, the more i really believe it is pretty polished. it has put a smile on my face since the midnight release lol

ajajayjay

Smash Journeyman
I know her double jump cancel is not COMPLETELY useless =). but the only thing i see Armada do is float cancelled neutral airs. i guess that djc up airs are good for comboing fastfallers

cooler1339

Smash Apprentice
So I have a question for you guys. I have sent my Wii to Nintendo on Brawls release because it couldn't read the disk and when they sent it back it was really loud and still sometimes can't read disks. I have to eject the disk 5-10 times to read and another 5-10 in gecko OS.

My problem is I used homebrew for brawl+ and im not sure if they will find out while repairing it. I took it off long ago but I don't know if it leaves any traces. Is it alright to send back? I think at most they just ship it back and refuse to work on it but it's their fault to begin with :/

Sorry if this is the wrong area to ask but all I use my Wii for now is PM :D

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
They can't sue you or anything. They'll remove any Homebrew if it's on it and then fix t for you.

Takao9411

Smash Apprentice
Is there still invisible shining in this? I can't seem to do it with Fox or Falco.

Yeah Mario is pretty dope in this game to say the least.

Anyone wanna play? Sorry if there's like a chat for this, I wouldn't know so I'm asking here.
I'll play you, if you're still looking.

goodoldganon

Smash Champion
Some general impressions since I started playing with friends. We played for a while but not for days. Only like 3-4 hours. I had practiced a bit before hand so I would say I have 5 hours of experience.

General: Some Melee purists had nitpicky problems. Falls too fast,L-cancelling isn't perfect, grabbing on backwards. Many of them still seemed to have fun but would still complain after losing. You won't make these people happy, they want to hate this game.

As a smash bros fan people loved this mod. It takes all the great of Melee, adds a dash of the good things from Brawl (not braindead edge hogging, backwards grabs on recoveries, RARing, easier DI, etc) and combines it with some of the best lessons and codes from Brawl+. The buffer code is still in and a very, very welcome addition. Very polished and very fun.

Mario:
Well liked though no one mained him in Melee, Brawl, or Brawl+. I played him a decent amount and he seemed really powerful, easy to combo with, good gimping game, and a strong kill game. One of Project M's shining, perfect characters.

Link:
A number of Link mains were big fans of him. He feels exactly like Melee Link, just actually good. The arrow gimps are epic against spacies. Another great character.

Fox:
Haters gonna hate. Anyone who played Fox in Melee should love this one. People mentioned he might fall a little faster but I was watching people do the same Melee tricks as before.

Falco:
No one really tried him. He got one match against Marth in the Mario 64 Metal stage, got rolled because Marth was wavedashing halfway across the stage and no one touched him.

Jigglypuff:
Same nonsense from Melee. For fans she will be liked, for everyone else, we just sigh and grin and bear it. :)

Marth:
A personal Melee favorite of mine and he felt great too. The powerful Brawl DI makes some of his combos easier to escape, but that's a good thing in my book.

Captain Falcon: A perfect Melee transition. I wish the up-taunt easter egg wasn't so tough to do. :(

Ganondorf:
Many agreed and seemed to think he was the best character in the demo. Both from sheer fun factor and overall presence on the battlefield. He was heavy, not terribly slow, devastating hits and combos, and it seemed much easier to Down-b gimp then ever before. I'd hardly call him overpowered, we didn't play a ton, but he did make strong initial impressions. Are his L-cancel frames the same? What I mean is he seemed to have little to no lag on L-cancels.

Game and Watch:
Played like Melee but he seemed to die way too early. Another unpopular character who got limited play time.

Sheik: More melee greatness but people liked Zelda more.

Sonic: Seemed really good but no one could consistently kill with him. Any tips?

Lucas:
Another really fun character and the new B attack adds depth to his game. SH-Nair is so good.

Snake:
Seemed really interesting but once you got inside he just kinda flopped. Fast characters seem way too strong against him. I think a lot more practice will be needed to get good with him.

Zelda:
Crowd favorite and a big surprise. Tons of cool tech tricks, the side b is crazy cool. Seems like there is a ton of depth to the character. My only complaint could be that having two characters in one is a pretty potent strength, but that's hardly a big one.

Overall keep up the good work. It's too bad that according to what I'm hearing it's gonna take a long time to see any new characters which is really sad and seems like a big waste, but I'm not the boss. If it indeeds takes forever to see more characters I'm sure many of us will fall off of Project M again.

Adding more characters keeps hype built for the game and keeps it feeling fresh and fun. Adding more characters doesn't make it like Brawl+ if the Dev team sticks to their guns. It also allows for any possible unnoticed bugs to get found or possibly game breaking things. As I said, many of us loved the demo and want more. I'm sure we'll play it for a while and then fall off the scene again till more characters come out. Keep up the good work and I really hope you guys consider releasing more characters or maybe character packs of 3-4 of them before we go into a final beta or just final release.

Mahie

Smash Lord
We've had a small P:M tournament today and it was really great. Even the guys that only play Brawl usually did enjoy it ( Once they put a little buffer on , though). Every character feels very balanced and you never have this " Wtf can I do in this situation ?" feeling you sometimes had in Melee.

There's still work to do but it's looking really good, I'm really convinced, and looking forward to the full version.

A couple of things though :

=> There is a weird glitch that happens when you try to SDI => Tech on the edge. Sometimes you'll slide along the edge downwards and die, even if you did manage to tech.

=> When you get hit in your shield and are pushed from a platform, you can't attack right away like you could in melee/64, it's still the Brawl physics version. Are you planning on modifying that?

=> Final Destination is really tricky lol. You think you can recover the Melee way and then you die because it's not the same size.

Oh and Link's awesome. He feels a lot like an enhanced 64 Link, with Utilt spacing and his awesome dash attack, perfect for techchasing and launching into combos. Great work on him.

Yamitsuki

Smash Cadet
I'm impressed by how well melee has been copied so far. With a little more work it might truly be a melee 2.0 in every aspect. I hope the mechanics of lightshielding are installed to its fullest potential. Also, wavedash timings needs some work. Wavedashing is so slow.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
=> Final Destination is really tricky lol. You think you can recover the Melee way and then you die because it's not the same size.
This is called a john, since they are exactly the same collision-wise.

Dark Sonic

Smash Hero
I was really thrown off as Marth. There has to be something wrong somewhere.
The camera.

The brawl camera focuses a lot more on the characters than the melee camera (sometimes leaving the stage out of view, or panning down to view a character, which makes it hard to judge distances correctly)

Don't worry, I've occasionally had that problem too (when both characters are off stage and below ledge height).

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
You may have been holding forward. This causes Marth to gain more horizontal distance and slightly less vertical distance.

abcool

Smash Ace
Question...although you guys never answered before. Is CC exactly like melee's? I feel like after about 30% I can't crouch cancel or atleast get the slide push effective if i do get hit.

Another one is....You said everything was ported does that inculdee throws? I feel i can't upthrow upair with fox as easily..it could be brawl's DI, but i have to kill with bairs instead of upair follow ups now..that is after i bait the second jump.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
CC isn't exactly like melee.

Throws were ported. Brawl's DI isn't your issue either. You are just being bad D:

Eddie G

Smash Hero
NNID
neohmarth216
Project M is incredible so far, and being a competitive player of both Melee and Brawl...this modification is very rich in terms of smooth gameplay and amount of sheer options and mixups available, I would say even more-so than both of the official stand-alone games when separate. For instance, I love being able to mix the properties of the RAR and a wavedash, or B reverse in one direction and Melee airdodge in another to throw the opponent off. The possibilities are plentiful, and the game itself shows a lot of competitive potential. I will back up this endeavor for sure and have this game at all of my tournaments when I start hosting. This is what the sequel should have been, and this is the kind of effort that the creator should have put forth. Great work guys!

On that note: New Project M matches! :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6imAhsvC-p8
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=86EHQq-fK4U
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TX14Yp715bk
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uVNEQe8WI_Q
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4_jA-j_uhZQ
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7t435iKgLOo
[/COLOR]

Mahie

Smash Lord
You may have been holding forward. This causes Marth to gain more horizontal distance and slightly less vertical distance.
I didn't know that and it didn't occur with the other characters, so it's probably the reason why I was dying when trying to come back perfectly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom