• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Project M Social Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Impp

Smash Ace
I'm guessing because part of him or his hurt box or whatever is also behind Captain Falcon's hurt or hit box which negates the fact that dedede's hurtbox is inside captain falcon's grab box.

I don't know much... just taking a stab at it.

leelue

Smash Lord
Magus's posts really are too good. Wtf.

Also, I agree that true spikes are a flaw, but I also agree that we will NOT win that debate. Also, its only 2 common moves, one odd scenario on a manly character, and one move that is justified (ganon down b). So really, its not worth complaining about when SO much of this game is like... heaven.
When I can agree with, say, 96% of the decisions made, I can concede a few points to the majority.

Is there anything else that I don't like... thinking... Marthas forward b is odd... and... hmm... I don't think landing detection is 100 percent necessary since it opens up weaknesses and strengths we haven't seen before (and the game is still superb without it fixed).

So yeah. I think the bottom line is that project M can sire my children.

iLink

Smash Champion
Ulevo if you could link me that too I would appreciate it.

Also I like when I'm scrolling through this topic and I see magus' name because it usually follows an informative post :p

GP&B

Ike 'n' Ike
NNID
MetalDude
I don't think landing detection is 100 percent necessary since it opens up weaknesses and strengths we haven't seen before (and the game is still superb without it fixed).
As a Link and Mario main, dynamic LD is a godsend to them, especially Link. It's incredibly annoying how much earlier Link will land when I'm trying to land Bair, Nair, or Fair on anybody. Falcon and Ganondorf make a lot of use out of using Uair at nearly the last possible frame for them to put the hitbox out, extending combos.

Also, Magus' post explains why I couldn't grab characters that were falling through me in Brawl+ and now P:M even though I could in Melee. +1 for reverse grab hitboxes, kthnx.

goodoldganon

Smash Champion
Why does Marth still have his superior Brawl counter then his Melee one? Neither is a 'great' move by any stretch, but it hardly seems like Marth is one itching for buffs.

Also, computer Marth and Zelda are just lulz. I don't know why, but it's Project: M's Level 9 Luigi.

Oh, and any reason unrestricted camera was removed? Seems like a silly code to remove, I'm sure it was just forgotten and I'd love to have it back in.

GreatFalco

Smash Apprentice
From few pages before...
Previously there was a glitch for many months with the C4 when we removed its transferrability that made it so in teams if you stuck it on someone that C4 wasn't actually stuck onto that person. When you would down B it would explode a different player rather than the one you stuck. This also affected free for alls as well, so to remedy this we looked towards a different solution. Turns out there was something else that could be nopped instead to get rid of the transferrability that didn't cause the teams bug.

However, a couple weeks after porting everything from Snake's previous pac onto the new one with this fix in it someone discovered what you're experiencing. And basically what's happening is that instead of the C4 dropping down to the floor because you missed, it just disappears. This only happens when you're trying to stick a person while they are in the air and you are in the air. Otherwise, it never seems to happen when Snake is grounded and the opponent is on the ground. It's not that big of a glitch because really all that would happen is the C4 would fall to the ground and be stuck there instead, now it just disappears as though you really did miss.

Not sure if we'll be able to fix that (I don't find it to be that big of a problem, especially when you consider the OTHER glitch we had for months), you'll have to deal with it. It only happens when you miss though so be more precise when you're trying to stick someone in the air.
I see, thanks for the explanation.
As you say, it isn't that big of a problem. Even can add some more depth, as one will have to pay attention to the sfx to ensure that sticking the C4 was succesfull.

Also, Zelda's new magic gfx are awesome =)

leelue

Smash Lord
I understand that landing detection in melee makes some characters better (if not all). I'm also observing that the new faults that characters have aren't bad for the game in general, minus a few techniques that are generally referred to as "added competitive depth", like falco lasering near the ground. These things made better players better than poor ones, and I am in full agreement that the better player should have more advantages if he or she has chosen to learn how to be proficient. I really am.

Sure, falcon cannot up air some of the cast while standing and Link's back airs don't hit quite as low.
Etc.
I understand all of the applications, I just do not see these things as necessarily "bad" since what they take away in terms of established techniques, they open a space for us to find the next best thing. If the replacement is not as effective, then you have to run an extra variable in your mind along the lines of "is this maneuver worth it?", and choosing the best option is the mark of a good player. If the replacement doesn't exist, then you have to make due without it and try to find a new, perhaps inventive way to make use of the situation. Once again, the mark of a good player.

Perhaps there are also now some aerials that perform better that could utilize the lessening of time spent off the ground? Who knows at this point.

Should a character really be able to stomp through a platform? At least a sword or a key kind of makes sense (yes the entire game makes no sense, I know my argument is flawed in that respect. We still have some guidelines that tell us what "natural" should look like, and I still remember thinking that attacking through platforms felt weird the first few times.)

As a minor aside, let us not forget that knowledge of what is missing will be known by both the aggressor and the person trying to avoid being hit. Maybe ducking will be even more tech, heh.

What the core of what I am saying is that the game will be outstanding without getting it fixed. The biggest problem that I see (that I recognize as a problem, as opposed to being a difference or something that would require players to adjust) is making the conversion to M from Melee easier and more comfortable for the sticklers, the slow learners, the easily discouraged, and purists. That is all, really.

hotdogturtle

Smash Master
The game is outstanding even with messed up landing detection. But it will be even more outstanding once they fix it.

Oh, and any reason unrestricted camera was removed? Seems like a silly code to remove, I'm sure it was just forgotten and I'd love to have it back in.
One of the devs in the chat for the livestream yesterday confirmed that it would be in the "patch" that's coming out for the demo soon.

OverLade

Smash Hero
Landing detection makes the window for spacing vertically spacing aerials on shield a lot smaller, making it a lot harder for characters like Falcon and Sheik to shield pressure effectively.

Things like the on shield L cancel at 1:00

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BAxCzGxJZ_o&feature=related

Anyway the game is still playable without it obviously, but this is just a little thing that is made a lot easier with it.

Ecks

Smash Lord
It's easier, and standing animation on Fox is perfectly fine xD
Haha, I was so impressed when I waveshined like four times and usmashed lol. Who knows, maybe I have improved too *boots up melee*

And I think fox's brawl standing animation is dumb.(even tho its a fighting stance lol)

MK26

Smash Master
http://www.mediafire.com/?zj2oddmz0yy for ZSS fix!
It's the second page I was talking about maestro and we;'re not using the SEC because it's a demo... and we don't have the need for it (not done with stages)
WAIT ONE GODDAMN MINUTE. i wanna ****ing capslock rage right now because ive ****ing written and tested SSS codes WITHOUT THE STAGE ROSTER EXPANSION CODE BUT WITH MORE THAN 10 STAGES ON THE SECOND PAGE. what the **** are you talking about we're not using the SREC, you dont need it if you're not using all 41 stage slots in the current SSS. Which i know for a fact you arent because i goddamn wrote it, and even if i hadn't i couldve searched it in the GCT and anyone with any expertise with the SSS code (which is like 4 people, none of whom are you) couldve seen that easily. So don't gimme this BULL**** about 'it's a demo', they're ****ing stages, if you havent changed them there's no reason not to put them on the second page even if you dont want them on the first with the 'competitive' stages...and on that note, what the **** is up with castle siege? why is it not on the first page? it's ****ing semi-neutral for crying out loud. ****.

[/rant]
[/deep breath]
[/reconsider submitting]
[/submit anyways]

Oh. And Mansion+ too. What's up with that?

C_Ferris32

Smash Journeyman
If dynamic LD were brought back in either the upcoming patch or the final version, I can safely say that I would not even have the smallest gripe about P:M.

My hat's off to the developers.

ValTroX

Smash Ace
A little question, why are you keeping the castlevania stage out? It seems like a VERY good choice for doubles. I guess i'll be using Mansion+, cause normal mansion sucks.
Also, o.O @ Super rage from Maestro.

MonkUnit

Project M Back Roomer
Castlevania platforms need to be reworked so they are used more often by players. The stage size may also be shrunk later on. All in all, the stage is not ready for the public to have.

Supreme Dirt

King of the Railway
I personally have already removed the custom SSS, and put my own in. Just saying. So make that 5 people who understand how it works.

Anyways, finally got to play against a human opponent yesterday. Basically, our general impressions were as follows:

Mario is awesome. Douhneill stopped going for the spike after he realized the Doc upwards kill was better. He did have complaints that Mario has trouble gimping, but this is coming from a Brawl Mario, and gimping is the only way Brawl Mario gets his kills.

Zelda/Sheik were meh. Some minor johns about Zelda DThrow being CGable and doing like 10%, and the jump out of Din's is awesome. I'm not sure if he realizes that I was land canceling Nayru's. I was winning about 90% of matches with Zelda, finally a viable Zelda.

Link is epic, but not for either of us. He can finally kill with moves that aren't DAir!

Ganondorf... Ganondorf is awesome. A character who truly strikes fear into the hearts of his enemies. DAir -> Aerudo FTW

Snake was OK, nothing particularly amazing. He just seems to fit, like he was in Melee all along.

Speaking of being in Melee all along, Sonic and Lucas. Firstly, Lucas dittos are the best thing ever. EVER. We ended up playing a good hour and a half solid of Lucas dittos. Lucas is easily my favourite character in the demo. Sonic comes very close. I think I might not be maining Ganondorf this time around, spring gimps are too fun. Also, surfing moonwalks. I finally learned how to Moonwalk. I was half-circling upwards, apparently you do it downwards. Oh.

Fox and Falco and Falcon are still Fox and Falco and Falcon. Same with Jiggs. Though I never played her much in Melee, I seem to recall being able to SHFair, then double jump before hitting the ground. So I'd guess landing detection, or I'm just wrong.

CORY

wut
BRoomer
played again for about ten hours yesterday. once again, p:m ganon is so amazingly fun! i think i played as ganon for around 9 of the 10 hours yesterday ;x

the only complaint is due to landing detection, since it's hard for him to hit short characters (i.e. jiggs, lucas) especially crouching, but otherwise he seems to have upgraded well! also, lucas is very annoying to deal with on approach >< effing shffled nair/fair...

Locke3

Smash Rookie
@leelue I just wanted to say that I agree with pretty much everything you say. ever. (giving you the support you deserve!)
I know I, for one, am having a blast (SMASH PUN) with P:M.
Ganondorf is SO much fun to play. dark choke -> wizards foot is too good. I think I love everything about him (which actually surprised me. I picked him up for an all ganon match, and fell in love).
Lucas, however, is my boy. Boosted upsmash all day, erry day. still a little annoyed by his side-b. The endlag is annoying, but I understand why its there. What I'm not too keen on is how often it gets canceled by the time I land instead of actually firing off. And to all the lucas haters out there, he is GOOD. He takes a little bit of getting used to, but now I'm comboing like a champ.
My friend plays snake, and I have to say that he is one awesome character. First of all, the Guile texture I have on him probably helps that, but besides that, the grenades are beautiful. There are grenades ALWAYS exploding. He'll grenade, walk up to someone, and shield the blast, and I always laugh. :3 C4 sticks are amazingly beautiful things, as are the fthrow to mine.
I'm even more excited now for the full game XD You guys are the most awesomest people ever.

libertyernie

Smash Ace
You know, you could have put more than 10 icons on the second screen by putting some of the icons you didn't put on the first screen on the second screen instead. Brawl's 1st screen had 31 icons; the P:M demo's only has 23.
I'm OK with the amount of stages in the demo - I just wanted to say that you (P:M developers) can make it bigger if you want.

EDIT: Quick question. Does the Fourside in the P:M demo have Melee collisions and boundaries, like Yoshi's Story, FD, etc.?

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
wow MK26 rage harder. lmao
yeah we could include more stages, but we don't want people to get attached to stages that might change in the future. we have a reason for everything we do, maestro. :p

Dantarion

Smash Champion
BTW.
Guy who posted about adding costume slots.
DEFINETLY POSSIBLE!

The problem is actually making a way to select them.
I think I can do it though. The only problem is what to do if the file is missing.

Master WGS

Smash Lord
I noticed Marth's Counter is the much stronger Brawl one...

I'm assuming this is on purpose - May I ask why? I mean, I know it's not something INCREDIBLE or BROKEN OMG, but it makes his already beast edge-guard game even more insane... Wasn't it good enough to begin with?

Again, I don't want to sound like I'm hating on this project (Can not emphasize how much I love it) - I just wanna see why you do some of the things I find a tad questionable. :p

Revven

FrankerZ
I noticed Marth's Counter is the much stronger Brawl one...

I'm assuming this is on purpose - May I ask why? I mean, I know it's not something INCREDIBLE or BROKEN OMG, but it makes his already beast edge-guard game even more insane... Wasn't it good enough to begin with?

Again, I don't want to sound like I'm hating on this project (Can not emphasize how much I love it) - I just wanna see why you do some of the things I find a tad questionable. :p
It's not stronger than the Brawl one, it's actually the same. It's completely unchanged from Brawl.

Master WGS

Smash Lord
because the melee one is stronger than the brawl one
I thought Melee had the set distance one? This one gets stronger at higher percentages...

I mean, I've never been able to knockout my brother's Fox by countering his fire recovery...

@Falco - That's what I mean. It's the Brawl one instead of the Melee one. Was there a reason you guys opted for that one instead?

Link40

Smash Cadet
BTW.
Guy who posted about adding costume slots.
DEFINETLY POSSIBLE!

The problem is actually making a way to select them.
I think I can do it though. The only problem is what to do if the file is missing.
Are you serious ? If you manage to do it, you would be god !

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom