• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Project M Social Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

cooler1339

Smash Apprentice
So how is it that if everyone knows auto L cancel is better the game will die if it's removed? Maybe because everyone doesn't think that way?

Or is it this thread only has 12 people viewing it and that's where you are getting your numbers from?

I think you really don't support it and you want to play brawl.

Grim Tuesday

Smash Legend
I said everyone "in this thread", not "everyone". Don't twist my words.

What are you trying to prove here? o_O

Seems like you are arguing just for the sake of arguing.

And why would I want to play Brawl? It's too slow.

cooler1339

Smash Apprentice
I still think you are wrong and brawl is a nice change of pace if you aren't fast enough to L-Cancel. I didn't twist you words because they aren't clear. Everyone who has played the game has probably been to this thread.

Grim Tuesday

Smash Legend
I still think you are wrong
ABOUT WHAT!?

and brawl is a nice change of pace if you aren't fast enough to L-Cancel.
Okay...?

I didn't twist you words because they aren't clear. Everyone who has played the game has probably been to this thread.
I meant all the people who regularly visit/post here and have suffered through this debate countless times.

Again: What are you trying to prove? Why are you arguing with me?

Starscream

Smash Ace
^You guys are hilarious. Seriously.

Hey. So, I was working on some custom animated CSS/SSS hacks for Project M for myself, and I thought I'd share with you guys. Also has a couple of other things on there of mine. Tell me what you think!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UICn3WNHBAw

If you have any suggestions for the CSS/SSS's, leave some comments on the video. Sorry I don't have audio at the moment, need to pick up some cables.

Note: No, this is not a leaked version of the build, I edited the GCT. The extra characters are not usable, the games freezes if picked. They're there for aesthetics until the final release is out.
That looks ****ing fantastic dude. I will definitely use it once you release it.

Isatis

If specified, this will repl[0x00000000]ce the
Premium
BRoomer
NNID
reverite
Drop the ALR vs. L-Canceling argument. It's been done to death many times.

.Fade

Smash Journeyman
Best matches ever...team battles, friendly fire on, 3-on-1, one team is all Snake. The Snakes have to lay down auto mines as often as possible. The last guy just has to survive.

Try it XD

leelue

Smash Lord
^^ I assume the window for reflection and the clink sound are different by a frame or three.

also
I usually get on grims case about his debates, but I honestly can't fault him at all this time. And he's been noticeably good about it lately too.

God I feel like a mother, lol... haha Sadface.

Revven

FrankerZ
Dunno if I missed something, but when I powershield a projectile, it rarely reflects, is it normal?
There's two different powershields, one for attacks and one for projectiles. The one for attacks does still indeed powershield projectiles but doesn't reflect them (haven't completely figured out a way to remove projectiles from the attack powershield). The OTHER powershield is the new one which relies on defensive collisions that the character possesses. These are actually based on the character's hurtboxes and not their shield. So smaller characters (like Lucas) have an easier time reflect powershielding than any other characters do. Keep in mind that this isn't the ideal way we want to do powershield reflects.

Hope this helps anyone confused on it, and yes there are frame differences between attack powershields and reflect powershields (which match how Melee had it iirc).

Master WGS

Smash Lord
Discussing this project on my site's forums, and this topic came up. Have you guys worked with Kirby yet, and are you willing to divulge any info on what you've changed/plan to change? A friend of mine who mained Kirby in Melee brought it up, and I thought he had some good points...

Roooster said:
See, I need to have Kirby in there to really give it a judgment. As in, see how they're ACTUALLY handling "balancing". Like, how will they deal with him? I could see a few things that could be improved (faster and longer-ranged inhales; only lose power when you deem it, not randomly; giving Up-B sword priority and damage and knockdown; making Stone a viable tactic aside from, "Is he really using that bad of a move?", et cetera), but I don't think that'd solve the problem of Kirby's poor performance against the top. But, I'm curious to see how they handle it.
Obviously you don't need to post everything you've done/plan to do, just some of the key things you think will help him against the top tiers, if you can.

Stevo

Smash Champion
hold A on the third hit.

grimfandango has a point tho.

I find that if I gentleman by pressing A on the third hit, he starts to do the quick punches really late, even if I held it for a second.

It almost feels like I have to give another input before letting go of the A button (joystick for example) or else he will do the quick punch.

Am I correct in this?

Ecks

Smash Lord
Discussing this project on my site's forums, and this topic came up. Have you guys worked with Kirby yet, and are you willing to divulge any info on what you've changed/plan to change? A friend of mine who mained Kirby in Melee brought it up, and I thought he had some good points...

Obviously you don't need to post everything you've done/plan to do, just some of the key things you think will help him against the top tiers, if you can.
There are actually a good amount of vedeos of pm kirby (<3 ninja wavedash) on youtube. the more recent ones are on jcaesar's channel I believe.

I would give you a link but my ipod is deciding against it. so just type "jcaesar007" on youtube.

Revven

FrankerZ

There are quite a few cool things I can comment on Kirby (obviously not everything like you said) but some key things we did were to make his Dthrow actually function as a techchase throw (it's NOT like Falco's Dthrow where it meteors or anything, it's similar to his Melee Dthrow but less KB so he can follow up off of it better, such as jab resets if they miss the tech or Utilt if they DI a certain way). His Up B spikes like it does in Smash 64 and he also got his 64 Nair (the sex kick) and his hammer (grounded and aerial) both are really nice KO moves.

Those are just some of the key things we did, it's not everything and obviously he's still WIP but those changes seem to be benefiting him quite well so far. I can't say much else though... we'll probably work on him some more if need be real soon.

And there are some videos of ChuDat using this Kirby on JCaesar's youtube channel (they are however several months old iirc). www.youtube.com/user/JCaesar007

curry9186

Smash Journeyman

ChuDat also won the P:M tournament that JCaesar held awhile back with Kirby, so despite still being WIP, Kirby can already keep up.

Vigilante

Smash Lord
The simple fact that he has his N64 spike improves his edgeguard. He also seems to have great short-hop combo potential. Sex kick improve his kill potential a little.

Dark Sonic

Smash Hero
From an execution standpoint, I really dislike how many subtle changes there are in Project M's mechanics and timing when compared to Melee.

Like, airdodge is triggered by light trigger input, which changes the timing on Mario's B-air -> waveland (which seems to be stricter unless I'm mistaken). You also have to let go of the shield button to WD out of shield. Furthermore Mario and Ganon cannot fullhop waveland on DL64's low platforms, which just is odd to me.

Also it kinda peeves me as to how unnecessarily schizophrenic the FitCharacter.pac commands are. Given that I don't see a comprehensive changelist for characters, it really would have been nice if FitCharacter.pac commands were more concise for several moves.
Since your post seems to have been overlooked I'll address it for you.

The bair waveland issue is because of landing detection. Landing detection in brawl is static. There is a bone attached to your character model (which DOESN'T MOVE during your animations) that determines where your character lands. This bone is also lower than the landing points that are in melee (meaning you land earlier in brawl). Melee landing detection is also dynamic (the landing point is actually moves along with character animations, since it is actually attached to your shins and not some arbitrary point "near" the feet of your character).

Not being able to fullhop waveland on DL's platforms is also a landing detection issue, as you have to get above that "landing bone" (known as TopN" in order to do it. In melee you did, in brawl you don't (same exact jump height and same exact platform height).

The light presses thing is to make the L-canceling more natural. We don't know how to separate light presses from hard presses currently.

There's no comprehensive change list because

1. This is a demo and things are still subject to change (it's unlikely there will be any major changes, but the possibility is there).

The fitcharacter.pac changes are complicated because the changes are complicated (or have been worked and reworked several times and just not cleaned up yet).
2. Leaks.

shanus

Smash Hero
You additoinally can't expect fitcharacter.pac to be brief, especially when your rebuilding characters in complex ways at time. Expecting to be brief on a character like falco, as a n example, is outright silly. When you need to compres a normal reflector (which has 4 actions) into 1 measly actionID, its natural our changes can be complicated. PM is a complicated project, so its only understandable that some edits are complicated.

Eternal Yoshi

I've covered ban wars, you know
NNID
EternalYoshi
3DS FC
3394-4459-7089
I wish there was a way to safely use another bone in TopN's index.....
like BodyN/TransN/XRotN/YRotN.

Looking at animations of Falcon, it seems that TransN is in the perfect position.

Pity it isn't for Link.

R00R

Smash Journeyman
Is project M already set up so I can put my own Video in the beginning in place of the normal brawl opening?

R00R

Smash Journeyman
You need to use Riivolution or edit your ISO to do that. So, yes, you can do that in Project M Demo.
Sounds like that might be more trouble then its worth.

What would I need to do to edit my ISO and what changes do I need to make?

moleman915

Smash Apprentice
It's impossible to replace SFX without Riivolution or ISO hacking. We aren't going to force Riivolution on people, and ISO hacking is all kinds of illegal.
What would happen if a clone engine were to ever come out? Would the character just have the sam SFX as another? Or would you guys put their own SFX in the Riivolution pack?

StriCNYN3

Smash Journeyman
Also to do the Gentlemen in Melee, you can press A -> A -> Down Z, which makes it a lot easier to perform. I don't know if that'll make a difference or if it still works in PM, though. Hope that helped someone out =)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom