• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Project M Social Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

SHOTTYGURU

Smash Apprentice
idk how link is in the patch seeing how iv heard some things have been changed. But in the demo links combo potential is crazy and the DEVS got his projectiles perfect i like playing link now a days hes shaping up to be my next fav and "link is JCz best character no matter what" lol

Shadic

Alakadoof?
NNID
Shadoof
idk how link is in the patch seeing how iv heard some things have been changed. But in the demo links combo potential is crazy and the DEVS got his projectiles perfect i like playing link now a days hes shaping up to be my next fav and "link is JCz best character no matter what" lol
Link didn't get a huge amount of changes for the patch, actually. He's got a tweaked run animation, a more Melee-esque Dair, Uair is fixed, (Animation and the hitbox duration where a bit off) and his boomerang shouldn't double-hit or go through people anymore.

And if we can ever figure out how to do it, we'll make it so his run isn't interrupted by the boomerang-catch animation.

BuraiHell

Smash Apprentice
Link didn't get a huge amount of changes for the patch, actually. He's got a tweaked run animation, a more Melee-esque Dair, Uair is fixed, (Animation and the hitbox duration where a bit off) and his boomerang shouldn't double-hit or go through people anymore.

And if we can ever figure out how to do it, we'll make it so his run isn't interrupted by the boomerang-catch animation.
Is a Melee dash attack animation on the list for possible future changes? His melee one looks like he's trying to cut you in half. Bwarl's is like he trips forward for a second. It's like his SC2 6A.. only not THAT bad. That move's animation was saddening.

It's obviously not an essential change but I figure if he gets the cool dash it'd be nice to get the dash attack.
I'm aware of the fact that the dash attack animation would probably be pretty hard to make. Just wondering if it's going to ever happen.

And couldn't he keep his rang double hit? D: or make it only happen if it hits right when the rang starts coming back?

also, I was just telling my brother a few days ago how I was going to ask you guys if you could make it so his run animation isn't interrupted by the rang. You're way ahead of me. Too good.

Shadic

Alakadoof?
NNID
Shadoof
Is a Melee dash attack animation on the list for possible future changes? His melee one looks like he's trying to cut you in half. Bwarl's is like he trips forward for a second. It's like his SC2 6A.. only not THAT bad. That move's animation was saddening.

It's obviously not an essential change but I figure if he gets the cool dash it'd be nice to get the dash attack.
I'm aware of the fact that the dash attack animation would probably be pretty hard to make. Just wondering if it's going to ever happen.
Melee dash attack would be significantly harder to re-animate than the minor tweaks that I did to his other moves. And more importantly, I'm not sure what that would do to his DACUS - That lunge is what gives him the horizontal moment, I'm pretty sure.
And couldn't he keep his rang double hit? D: or make it only happen if it hits right when the rang starts coming back?
The problem is that it looks glitchy as hell, and we don't even have justification for keeping it around, because it wasn't in Melee. (Hello Nair) Also, there's not much of a reason for it to randomly do double damage when the boomerang should be traveling its slowest.

also, I was just telling my brother a few days ago how I was going to ask you guys if you could make it so his run animation isn't interrupted by the rang. You're way ahead of me. Too good.
Trust me, you're not the only one that is annoyed by it. That stop and tethering are the only reasons I ever miss Melee Link.

...Well, I also think his Utilt animation in Melee is more stylish, but Brawl's has much better range.

BuraiHell

Smash Apprentice
Melee dash attack would be significantly harder to re-animate than the minor tweaks that I did to his other moves. And more importantly, I'm not sure what that would do to his DACUS - That lunge is what gives him the horizontal moment, I'm pretty sure.
Ya that makes sense. If you ever were to try maybe make it so it starts with a bigger step forward than in melee or something in an attempt to retain his good DACUS.
However,
It'd suck a lot to animate that and find out you can't use it because it screws with his game for the sake of aesthetic changes.

The problem is that it looks glitchy as hell, and we don't even have justification for keeping it around, because it wasn't in Melee. (Hello Nair) Also, there's not much of a reason for it to randomly do double damage when the boomerang should be traveling its slowest.
Agreed. No arguments. Everything has to look professional.

Trust me, you're not the only one that is annoyed by it. That stop and tethering are the only reasons I ever miss Melee Link.

...Well, I also think his Utilt animation in Melee is more stylish, but Brawl's has much better range.
The main time it screws with me is when I throw the rang and try to follow up with a grab. He stops running and I grab about 5 feet away from where I want to be. Punish central. It's just a nuisance to have to worry about your own attack screwing you over every time you use it. Dodging your own attack as if your life depended on it. -sigh-

I think Melee's looked faster @_@ or brawl's just looks more.. sluggish? Idk. But utility > looks unfortunately

Or maybe he just looks like he has less control over the sword in Brawl. I'm not sure.

SHOTTYGURU

Smash Apprentice

nice nice I'm liking what I hear but one question his uair seemed fine what was wrong wit it? And if you guys come up with a way to stop the boomerang interuption that would be a huge plus for link :D

:phone:

Shadic

Alakadoof?
NNID
Shadoof
Ya that makes sense. If you ever were to try maybe make it so it starts with a bigger step forward than in melee or something in an attempt to retain his good DACUS.
However, it'd suck a lot to animate that and find out you can't use it because it screws with his game for the sake of aesthetic changes.
I'd have to relook at the Melee animation more in depth, but I think giving him the Melee animation would also cut the range on the attack a bit.
I think Melee's looked faster @_@ or brawl's just looks more.. sluggish? Idk. But utility > looks unfortunately
Or maybe he just looks like he has less control over the sword in Brawl. I'm not sure.
He's a lot more spread-out during the Brawl version of the attack. In Project M though, the hitbox actually ones out one frame earlier than it did in Melee, and the move ends three frames earlier. It really is just the animation. ;) Skler himself had the same issue with the move though, so don't feel bad.

nice nice I'm liking what I hear but one question his uair seemed fine what was wrong wit it?
The move's hitbox didn't quite last as long as it did in Melee, and the animation was a bit off. He started to pull his sword back too soon.

smashbro29

Smash Champion
NNID
Smashbro29
3DS FC
2724-0750-5127
What happened to the stages? More specifically what happened to Summit? I saw by the music what replaced what but there's no summit. Why was this done?

sffadsad

Smash Apprentice
Speaking of stages, is the P:M official release going to make use of PW's complete stage roster expansion? I think it would be nice to have all the brawl stages, even the terrible ones, to play on in their original form for silly party matches.

If it's not going to be included, why not?

BuraiHell

Smash Apprentice
I'd have to relook at the Melee animation more in depth, but I think giving him the Melee animation would also cut the range on the attack a bit.He's a lot more spread-out during the Brawl version of the attack. In Project M though, the hitbox actually ones out one frame earlier than it did in Melee, and the move ends three frames earlier. It really is just the animation. ;) Skler himself had the same issue with the move though, so don't feel bad.
Alright. Maybe you could base it off of the melee one but make his stepping distance identicle to Brawl. Of course, we both know this isn't even close to a priority and I can't just make demands and tell you what you have to do lol. Not trying to do that at all.

-rereads that- I initially thought you said Brawl's comes out and ends faster and I was going to be like "wait whaaattt? o.O" That'd be one hell of an optical illusion.

Shadic

Alakadoof?
NNID
Shadoof
-rereads that- I initially thought you said Brawl's comes out and ends faster and I was going to be like "wait whaaattt? o.O" That'd be one hell of an optical illusion.
Project M's does indeed come out faster and and IASA's on an earlier frame.

Speaking of stages, is the P:M official release going to make use of PW's complete stage roster expansion? I think it would be nice to have all the brawl stages, even the terrible ones, to play on in their original form for silly party matches.

If it's not going to be included, why not?
It's a long-term plan of ours. We want everything to look professional though, so we need to figure out how to manage file sizes for all of the files that contain stage icons, etc. Not to mention having them properly named, figuring out what to do with music, etc.

Onomanic

Heaven Piercer
A lot of good Link chat. Proves how much people love this character and are more willing to play him if he's actually good :D

DACUS is pretty good as it is, when you know when to use it, along with his dash attack. Maybe it's because I was a Brawl player before Melee but I'm able to incorporate a lot of vBrawl's Link techniques. Experimentation is the first step in a progressive metagame :D

JCaesar

Smash Hero
NNID
JCaesar
I'm gonna find a way to record my brain into a computer so I can play my ROB vs my Link, and I'm gonna keep training my ROB until I win.

Link is cool and all but I'm a robot at heart.

BuraiHell

Smash Apprentice
A lot of good Link chat. Proves how much people love this character and are more willing to play him if he's actually good :D

DACUS is pretty good as it is, when you know when to use it, along with his dash attack. Maybe it's because I was a Brawl player before Melee but I'm able to incorporate a lot of vBrawl's Link techniques. Experimentation is the first step in a progressive metagame :D
Lol I was a vBrawl Link as well. My P:M Link got everything from my vBrawl and B+ Link. Very little from my Melee Link since I have little Melee experience =_=

It's like
My P:M Link is the ******* child of all my other Links. Except B-. God I suck at that game. 50 second hitlag goooo.

Project M's does indeed come out faster and and IASA's on an earlier frame.
Sick.
Just wondering, what would be the drawback of giving Bair's first kick vbrawl knockback? Just wondering. I miss fast fall Bair - Utilt/pivot grab/backwards fsmash.

I don't miss it THAT much though >_>

Eternal Yoshi

I've covered ban wars, you know
NNID
EternalYoshi
3DS FC
3394-4459-7089
Relatively speaking yes.

But this Link will be more viable and superior than all of the previous incarnations, which is instantly a plus.

The MGS HD collection has my hyped, which is amazing considering that I'm usually cyniclal....

Supreme Dirt

King of the Railway
Link's crushing MUs will be significantly less crushing this time around.

Will all my characters be destroyed by Captain Falcon again? We'll have to see.

(It's nice playing Marth and not losing to him, I might mention)

SHOTTYGURU

Smash Apprentice
Yea i dont main link at all but for him to be as good as i think he is now in PM i think he will give the high tiers a run for their money :p.

Plus on another note i actualy feel like the partial slide you get from pivot grab on vbrawl carried over to PM and im putting it to great use. its just another move that will make PM metagame become even better in the future.

Supreme Dirt

King of the Railway
All the little vBrawl things. Personally I'm a big fan of sticky techs. Makes it all that much more important to learn.

Supreme Dirt

King of the Railway
Personally I don't see a problem with that. That's why we have a timer. TOs should be planning with the assumption all games will go to time. That way you don't have issues with running out of time for tournaments (I recall somebody saying there was a problem with that in the early days of Brawl tournaments, at least in the GTA).

SHOTTYGURU

Smash Apprentice
Personally I don't see a problem with that. That's why we have a timer. TOs should be planning with the assumption all games will go to time. That way you don't have issues with running out of time for tournaments (I recall somebody saying there was a problem with that in the early days of Brawl tournaments, at least in the GTA).
Yea and then brawl was reduced to MK VS MK even in doubles MK+MK vs MK+MK.
Then time wasnt a problem any more

JCaesar

Smash Hero
NNID
JCaesar
You don't see a problem with matches going to time? Ugh, what has Brawl done to this community...

One of the biggest complaints about Project M that I hear from Melee players is that the matches take too long. Sticky techs is one of the contributing factors, and definitely on our list of things to fix. So don't get attached to it.

Shadic

Alakadoof?
NNID
Shadoof
Just wondering, what would be the drawback of giving Bair's first kick vbrawl knockback? Just wondering. I miss fast fall Bair - Utilt/pivot grab/backwards fsmash.
I'll have to look into it. It's been a while since I've messed with that move.

Link's crushing MUs will be significantly less crushing this time around.
Will all my characters be destroyed by Captain Falcon again? We'll have to see.
Considering Sheik can't chaingrab him to 80% anymore, and it's easier to hit a Flying Falcon with that Fair of his, I'd like to think the matchups are significantly saner.

Sticky techs is one of the contributing factors, and definitely on our list of things to fix. So don't get attached to it.
*ba-dum-tssss*

JCaesar

Smash Hero
NNID
JCaesar
When I saw that you quoted me and your response to it, I figured you quoted the part where I said I'd make my ROB better than my Link.

But that works too.

Shadic

Alakadoof?
NNID
Shadoof
I don't even need to comment on that - Your natural Link tendencies will continue to show themselves.

Everybody has a latent Link main within themselves, he's just always been a bad character. Project M will have more Link mains than Brawl has Metaknight players.

*Maniacal laughter*

Alopex

Smash Ace
It was a problem in Brawl always and still is. Was it more of a problem earlier? Hells yes, because people were starting to learn how effective it was and were using it in droves to win. GTA, Ottawa, or Montreal, it was a very prevalent factor that never went away and led almost all of the Montreal community to just say "**** it" and go back to Melee.

Matches going to time is a very, very, very bad thing. You don't want to win "by default", you want to FREAKIN' OWN SOMEBODY!

"I had 4% less than you when time ended!"
Epic win? No one will want to watch a match like that, and spectators fuel the community heavily. Just ask MLG when it had Melee on there.

Project M will have more Link mains than Brawl has Metaknight players.
As long as I get my Samus back...

MaxThunder

PM Support
I don't even need to comment on that - Your natural Link tendencies will continue to show themselves.

Everybody has a latent Link main within themselves, he's just always been a bad character. Project M will have more Link mains than Brawl has Metaknight players.

*Maniacal laughter*
ookay... everyone has a guy who runs around in a green tunic, waving his word and can only seem to moan inside them... that's not scary... not scary at all...

Edit: this day is way too friggin hot... I live in NORWAY!!... It's NOT supposed to be this hot!!...

IYM!

Smash Lord
Project M will have more Link mains than Brawl has Metaknight players.

*Maniacal laughter*
i hope so too

I have experience with 4 Links: Smash 64, Smash 64 (J), melee and brawl

i am dying for test this P:M Link, because i am pretty good with melee Link, even with all his limitations, but now, P:M Link have less weakness.

About Samus, i want see her in action

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom