• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Project M Social Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

saviorslegacy

My avater is not a Sheik avatar.
Your source was either referring to the Genesis 2 tournament set(which is over BTW) or was sorely mistaken.
Probably mistaken, he just got out of boot camp 2 weeks ago. We were geeking it up in the baracks last night and one of the guys said that Lucario and others were released.

Cero

Smash Lord
Hey. Can someone tell me how Sneak changes momentum in the air while pulling out a grenade as Snake? I know it's a Brawl tech. (I think it's called b-reversals or something.)

How do you do it and do I have to map b moves to c-stick?

Ecks

Smash Lord
You turn to the opposite direction right after the move starts. I'd say during the first few frames. It's a very easy AT once you now how it's done and it can be used for almost every b move in the game.

:phone:

JCaesar

Smash Hero
NNID
JCaesar
Yeah, you have to press the opposite direction on the stick in the first 3 frames after the move starts.

Cero

Smash Lord
Hmm... Can't get it to work for some reason.

Using the demo. I'm supposed to flick the stick backwards immediately after pulling out the grenade right?

EDIT: Nevermind. Semi figured it out with Falco.

smashbro29

Smash Champion
NNID
Smashbro29
3DS FC
2724-0750-5127
Think of it this way: Releasing it when everything is ready will help with the game's longevity The metagame will have room to develop with the team not releasing with a patch that tinkers with the characters and the engine every other day; if I'm not mistaken, this is one of the major factors that ultimately killed Brawl+. The rabid speculation and silliness in the thread may be bothersome, but it's also a minor nuisance compared to a small group spending months of their life doing something that they hope everyone will love, and have it wither and die because they succumbed to others' impatience.
Just a CRAZY idea here, why not release a demo and just say "screw you" when people complain and stuff? Let people talk. It's just talk. The ball is in the PMBR's court.

MechaWave

Smash Champion
Guys I have a request.

Can you guys in streams PLEASE use characters that aren't always chosen? Characters such as Fox, Falco, Snake, etc. are always chosen and I've seen them too much. I'd like to see Ivysaur, Toon Link, etc.

JCaesar

Smash Hero
NNID
JCaesar
Some characters (Ivysaur being a prime example) haven't had enough work done to be worth using. What's the point of showing a character who's probably gonna end up completely different from how they are now?

Ecks

Smash Lord
Hey guys, why'd you change Peach's side-b to the explosion thing? I liked Brawl's side-b better. :(

/Real talk

Alopex

Smash Ace
Would someone mind reminding me what sticky techs are, again?

They're responsible for PM still being slower-paced than Melee, yes?

MonkUnit

Project M Back Roomer
"Sticky Techs" are Brawl's teching. Meaning they do not retain momentum when teching.

Melee's teching made it so that if you got hit with Falcon's Knee and DI'd down and tech'd it, you'd slide after you tech'd. Brawl's Sticky Teching makes it so you immediately halt your movement rather than sliding from the tech.

Alopex

Smash Ace
Cool, thanks Monk.

On a totally different note, just from watching Neko's stream, it seems Pit's arrows are still allowing him to be ridiculously campy. And did I see them combo Zard entirely on their own by juggling him with 3 consecutive arrows?

Shadic

Alakadoof?
NNID
Shadoof
Pit is still being worked on, and I'm not even sure if Neko was using one of the current Pit builds.

OmegaMuffin

Smash Journeyman
NNID
OmegaMuffin498
Is Snake's Up-Taunt still the Tasty/Not even close combo? I was wondering, can you make that direction specific? I can't tell you how many times I've tried to troll a friend for missing the ledge and I'd get "Tasty" instead.

Octorox

Smash Apprentice
Writing Team
Hey guys, why'd you change Peach's side-b to the explosion thing? I liked Brawl's side-b better. :(

/Real talk

I agree, it seems like a wholly aesthetic decision and I think the Brawl one definitely looked more...well...peachy?

Also, I have a question. Is there any way to add a more melee like hud to Project: M? I always found the full on character portraits in battle distracting and really preferred how melee and smash 64 indicated the character by either the look of the stocks or just a little icon in time matches.

Revven

FrankerZ
Can't make the stocks character based because the stocks are player based and is not dependent on which character you pick. So making a 100% Melee HUD is out of the question in that regard.

Octorox

Smash Apprentice
Writing Team
Can't make the stocks character based because the stocks are player based and is not dependent on which character you pick. So making a 100% Melee HUD is out of the question in that regard.
ah well, it's really a minor gripe. I do feel like the Brawl HUD does take a significantly larger amount of the screen though. what if the translucent symbol behind the percentage that generally represents what game series the character is from was replaced with a silhouette of the character/the characters head? is that possible? I'm really just trying to think of any way to get rid of these character portraits and still have character recognition in the HUD...

smashbro29

Smash Champion
NNID
Smashbro29
3DS FC
2724-0750-5127
"Sticky Techs" are Brawl's teching. Meaning they do not retain momentum when teching.

Melee's teching made it so that if you got hit with Falcon's Knee and DI'd down and tech'd it, you'd slide after you tech'd. Brawl's Sticky Teching makes it so you immediately halt your movement rather than sliding from the tech.
I don't think PM will end up exactly like Melee. I think it'll become it's own thing.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
that's largely irrelevant to the issue, smashbro29. sticky techs is an issue that needs to be fixed because it's dumb, not only because it was different in Melee.

hotdogturtle

Smash Master
Is Snake's Up-Taunt still the Tasty/Not even close combo? I was wondering, can you make that direction specific? I can't tell you how many times I've tried to troll a friend for missing the ledge and I'd get "Tasty" instead.
Ha, one of my friends from college loved the "Tasty" taunt, but we were disappointed that he couldn't do it 100% of the time.

Cubelarooso

Smash Lord
Hmm… I did enjoy the fact that Peach shot hearts out of her ***, but I also enjoy the fact that Peach shoots explosions out of her ***.
Clearly, the best solution is to have both, either at the same time, randomly, or dependent on player input.

This is important guys what comes out of Peach's *** is important!

standardtoaster

Tubacabra
I agree, it seems like a wholly aesthetic decision and I think the Brawl one definitely looked more...well...peachy?

Also, I have a question. Is there any way to add a more melee like hud to Project: M? I always found the full on character portraits in battle distracting and really preferred how melee and smash 64 indicated the character by either the look of the stocks or just a little icon in time matches.
I would like to change the HUD if only slightly. The stock icons can be hard to tell at times. For example, the character portrait can make it hard for me to tell if they have 4 or 3 stocks left.

smashbro29

Smash Champion
NNID
Smashbro29
3DS FC
2724-0750-5127
I would like to change the HUD if only slightly. The stock icons can be hard to tell at times. For example, the character portrait can make it hard for me to tell if they have 4 or 3 stocks left.
Call me crazy but my ideal (and probably impossible) situation would keep the portraits and give everyone their individual stock icons.

TeiunBomb

Smash Apprentice
Just a CRAZY idea here, why not release a demo and just say "screw you" when people complain and stuff? Let people talk. It's just talk. The ball is in the PMBR's court.
I believe you are preaching to the choir, good sir. :V I'm not one of the many that has an issue with how the PMBR are handling things; in fact I'm in full support of it.

Ecks

Smash Lord
I agree with Standardtoaster, sometimes I go "wait, 2 stocks left???" because of that problem.

And lol @Cubelarooso.

metroid1117

Smash Master
Hey, I have a question about the play-testers: judging by the application process, I know that the PMBR is trying to pull in people with Melee experience and knowledge, but is there any effort going towards pulling in high-level Brawl players who main a character that wasn't in Melee? I'm just curious because you guys are aiming towards making a game as balanced as possible, but this may be difficult when pitting characters who have had a metagame developing for nearly a decade now (i.e. Fox, Falco, Falcon, Marth, etc.) against a character who was just released in 2008 (Ike, Diddy, ZSS, etc.). I'm fully aware that some characters have received radical changes compared to their vBrawl counterpart (Snake, Lucario, Charizard, Wario, and more to come), but some characters like Ike and Diddy, at least from the streams, seem to play fairly similarly to how they do in Brawl/Brawl+; it just seems to me that it would be best to invite a high-level Brawl player specializing in that character to playtest said character rather than Melee veterans who may have turned away from Brawl because of it's shallow gameplay. There is indeed a large technical barrier between Melee and Brawl, but I feel that certain players who excel at both games would be an incredible asset for the PM team if they are willing to contribute; one player that comes to mind is ADHD, who made the Melee Singles bracket in Genesis 2 with Falco and placed 3rd in Brawl Singles with Diddy at the same tournament. Has this been addressed in the PMBR at all?

Just as a disclaimer, you guys have my full support - I've been lurking this thread for the past year, and I'm extremely excited to see what the finished product will look like. Regardless of how long it takes to come, I'll be waiting to try it out!

Anth0ny

Smash Master
It truly sucks that the little stock heads can not make a return. I believe that was the very first (of MANY MANY MANY) disappointment I had with Brawl. When they opened the Dojo, they had screens with the hud. And I was all like "Hey! Where'd the little stock heads go? Why is there character art there? That's kinda unnecessary... lame. OH WELL THIS GAME IS GOING TO BE THE BEST GAME EVER WOOOOO"

=/

Cubelarooso

Smash Lord
The stock thing is particularly annoying when watching videos of imperfect quality, or when playing without my glasses.
Is it possible to make any or all of the portrait transparent? Wasn't Gamedominator06 working on something like that? I also believe he made some custom stock icons.

Personally, I'd like it if the portraits were just replaced with those tiny little heads, to both free up the view and as an allusion to when they were used as stocks.

@Shadic ↓
Among the handful of things Brawl did amazingly well, that's definitely one of them. Buut… It could have just been applied to the classic HUD :/

Shadic

Alakadoof?
NNID
Shadoof
I'm apparently one of the few people who actually prefers the in-battle Brawl HUD, if only for the fact that it's smart enough to fade when it's covering up a character.

I liked stock icons, but I don't see an issue with battle portraits either.

Sneak8288

Smash Champion
Hey, I have a question about the play-testers: judging by the application process, I know that the PMBR is trying to pull in people with Melee experience and knowledge, but is there any effort going towards pulling in high-level Brawl players who main a character that wasn't in Melee? I'm just curious because you guys are aiming towards making a game as balanced as possible, but this may be difficult when pitting characters who have had a metagame developing for nearly a decade now (i.e. Fox, Falco, Falcon, Marth, etc.) against a character who was just released in 2008 (Ike, Diddy, ZSS, etc.). I'm fully aware that some characters have received radical changes compared to their vBrawl counterpart (Snake, Lucario, Charizard, Wario, and more to come), but some characters like Ike and Diddy, at least from the streams, seem to play fairly similarly to how they do in Brawl/Brawl+; it just seems to me that it would be best to invite a high-level Brawl player specializing in that character to playtest said character rather than Melee veterans who may have turned away from Brawl because of it's shallow gameplay. There is indeed a large technical barrier between Melee and Brawl, but I feel that certain players who excel at both games would be an incredible asset for the PM team if they are willing to contribute; one player that comes to mind is ADHD, who made the Melee Singles bracket in Genesis 2 with Falco and placed 3rd in Brawl Singles with Diddy at the same tournament. Has this been addressed in the PMBR at all?

Just as a disclaimer, you guys have my full support - I've been lurking this thread for the past year, and I'm extremely excited to see what the finished product will look like. Regardless of how long it takes to come, I'll be waiting to try it out!
Hey i'm no slouch in brawl either lol. I use alot of brawl techs when i play snake

metroid1117

Smash Master
Hey i'm no slouch in brawl either lol. I use alot of brawl techs when i play snake
I didn't mean to sound like I was pointing fingers, I'm sorry if I sounded offensive >.>. The playtesters (you included) are very skilled, but it's clear that they are more comfortable with Melee veterans than Brawl newcomers. I just think that if this difference of comfort zones were alleviated, it would be better for playtesting.

Ecks

Smash Lord
Actually a lot of the P:M team were also part of Brawl plus. It's not like they randomly said "Well I haven't played Brawl for more than 30 minutes, but let's change it anyway!" I'm pretty sure they, or at least those on board since the beginning, know vBrawl quite well. Heck, JCaesar's YT channel said "Brawl plus videos" until a few months ago. TH was also a Brawl player unless I'm mistaken.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom