• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Project M Social Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Beorn4200

Smash Apprentice
Hence why characters like Link and Mario have not needed any dramatic changes to make them significantly better.
Except mario did see some really radical changes. Sweet changes.

But, if everyone else is cool with luigi staying nearly the same. It's all good.

Skieth

Smash Apprentice
I'm a pretty serious noob but ... I think mario's cape reverses input for longer than in did in melee. Also, his fireballs can bounce higher depending on how you shoot them.

I love pm

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
NNID
UltiMario
3DS FC
1719-3180-2455
I liked it when Mario had Doc's Palm and Mario's fire on Fsmash. Sooooo gooood

:phone:

PurDi

Smash Journeyman
The problem with radically changing "almost-viable" characters is that due to the fact that you actually can use them in a tournament setting and do reasonably well, there's a lot more pro interest in keeping them the same. After all, if a player like Vist or Hugs can take high spots in tourny with their main, why would they think the character needs a redesign? And that's on top of the fact that they naturally need less work than a bottom tier like Bowser or Zelda. Due to these factors, you can expect less "crazy" changes to mid tier characters than the low tiers we've thus far revealed.
I kind of disagree here.. Anyone can play a mid/low tier character and win if they put enough into it... Just take iori playing everyone/maining mewtwo and Taj being Taj... They win with poop characters. That doesn't mean you shouldn't buff them because some people can win, the real idea of balance would be 'if the same amount of time and skill is put into two different characters, one shouldn't be able to predict which will win (ignoring stages and matchups).' I feel like you would have to practice much much more with luigi than with... say Falco, to rank in the same place.

I feel like Luigi needs something better honestly, his recovery is amazing yes but maybe some simple changes like faster moving fireballs or just a faster start-up and end-lag for them (I know articles are nigh impossible to edit right now...), or higher priority tilts. Something not ridiculous, but something reasonable.

EDIT: Also sorry cmart, I didn't realize you said radically changing them... But anyways, my points still stand.

EDIT2: While I'm in the editting mood I guess I should respond to shadic.

Before Smash 4. :awesome:

As far as small changes go, I just made Falcon's classic "Show me your moves" taunt on UTaunt instead of Dtaunt, (where it was placed for some reason) and the "Yesszz" with fire is mapped on Dtaunt now.

Funny how tiny things like that can make a difference. No idea why Brawl mapped taunts so terribly.
I realize this was a little troll-ish :D and we pretty much could guess that, but thanks for responding without saying 'whenever its done.'

hotdogturtle

Smash Master
But really, how else do you expect them to answer without saying that? It's not like they can just declare a date and magically have everything finished by then. There's no way to know how long an indefinite amount of work will take.

cmart

Smash Lord
I kind of disagree here...

I feel like Luigi needs something better honestly, his recovery is amazing yes but maybe some simple changes like faster moving fireballs or just a faster start-up and end-lag for them (I know articles are nigh impossible to edit right now...), or higher priority tilts. Something not ridiculous, but something reasonable.
So... we disagree to agree then? My whole argument was about giving midtiers reasonable buffs rather than extreme ones, which you seem to agree with.

Archangel

Smash Hero
NNID
combat22386
Shut up stupid guy. Your stupid and should be drug out into the streets and beaten mercilessly...because your dumb. Everything you say is dumb. Shut up! SHUT THE **** UP.

nah in all seriousness you've got some interesting concerns but realistically some characters will be easier to play than others. Thats just how it is gonna be unless you clone everyone into the same basic person.

Take Melee sheik for example. she is SUPER easy to play. You just dthrow and tilt spam until you get fair setups. Because of her moveset things come easy for Sheik first. Fox requires more practice and more mastery over advance techniques and ultimately ends up above sheik.

My point being Just because Luigi arguably requires more practice then the more tech-skill heavy spacies doesn't mean he is bad. Alot of their set ups can be avoided already in reg-melee. Falco has lazers...so what he can laser spam against everyone pretty much but thats is why you learn to power shield. I do agree that giving luigi better fireballs would be of great help. The most plaguing thing to luigi in his current stat is his recovery. much like Kirby sucks greatly do to lack of mobility. Sometimes 1 thing being fixed could change a character greatly.

not a serious suggestion but if you made Kirby run as fast as C-falcon and made his air mobility somewhere between Wario's and Jigglypuff's I'm certain with just those changes melee Kirby would be instant greatness. :cool:

<3 Kirby.

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
NNID
UltiMario
3DS FC
1719-3180-2455
I agree with giving Kirby insane mobility (or at least better air mobility than in Melee).

Mr.Pickle

Smash Lord
Oh joy here we go again...Yet another post about Lucario being too good from someone who hasn't even played as him yet @_@
You're obviously referring to me, seeing as how I'm the only one that has talked about lucario recently. For the record I never said that he was too good, just that his super system is unnecessary and that he is fine without it. I'm displeased on how quick people are to judge on this thread, and some of you are just plain silly, not in a funny way sadly.

Spoon~

Smash Ace
You're obviously referring to me, seeing as how I'm the only one that has talked about lucario recently. For the record I never said that he was too good, just that his super system is unnecessary and that he is fine without it. I'm displeased on how quick people are to judge on this thread, and some of you are just plain silly, not in a funny way sadly.
Read a few pages back, not directed towards you at all.

PurDi

Smash Journeyman
So... we disagree to agree then? My whole argument was about giving midtiers reasonable buffs rather than extreme ones, which you seem to agree with.
I'm willing to admit that I misread your first post... I should have directed it at another post but I just wanted to get my viewpoint across to everyone and quoting people seems to get you a little more attention :glare:

Shut up stupid guy. Your stupid and should be drug out into the streets and beaten mercilessly...because your dumb. Everything you say is dumb. Shut up! SHUT THE **** UP.
You legit scared me for a second... I try to make intelligent comments at least

nah in all seriousness you've got some interesting concerns but realistically some characters will be easier to play than others. Thats just how it is gonna be unless you clone everyone into the same basic person.

Take Melee sheik for example. she is SUPER easy to play. You just dthrow and tilt spam until you get fair setups. Because of her moveset things come easy for Sheik first. Fox requires more practice and more mastery over advance techniques and ultimately ends up above sheik.

My point being Just because Luigi arguably requires more practice then the more tech-skill heavy spacies doesn't mean he is bad. Alot of their set ups can be avoided already in reg-melee. Falco has lazers...so what he can laser spam against everyone pretty much but thats is why you learn to power shield. I do agree that giving luigi better fireballs would be of great help. The most plaguing thing to luigi in his current stat is his recovery. much like Kirby sucks greatly do to lack of mobility. Sometimes 1 thing being fixed could change a character greatly.
Yea I definitely see your point. I really just want to get out of speculation mode and actually figure out where the balance lies (even though its not my job...). Honestly, I'm only going off of what I know about maining the mario bros in brawl and watching tons of melee videos of him. So I guess I just have to wait to find out... Which leads me to another question:

Whenever PM is officially released, will it just sit in its (then) current state and let the metagame evolve unless seriously major problems in characters arise? or will little problems be fixed as well?

Archangel

Smash Hero
NNID
combat22386
I'm willing to admit that I misread your first post... I should have directed it at another post but I just wanted to get my viewpoint across to everyone and quoting people seems to get you a little more attention :glare:

You legit scared me for a second... I try to make intelligent comments at least

Yea I definitely see your point. I really just want to get out of speculation mode and actually figure out where the balance lies (even though its not my job...). Honestly, I'm only going off of what I know about maining the mario bros in brawl and watching tons of melee videos of him. So I guess I just have to wait to find out... Which leads me to another question:

Whenever PM is officially released, will it just sit in its (then) current state and let the metagame evolve unless seriously major problems in characters arise? or will little problems be fixed as well?

I was just in a troll mood....as I always am. Most ppl who've hung out with me in person will tell you i'm nothing like what you'd expect but i just can't take Smashboards serious sometimes..... anyways Balancing comes last. Thats been stated for about a year now. If your going off of Maining them in Brawl then.................................................................

anyways Mario is...another subject entirely but Luigi has alot of advantages that make him able to play on par with everyone who's placed above him with 1 exception. His Recovery. I suggest you watch more vids of good weegees(rare but they exist).

Mario...that's something else.

FireBall Stars

Smash Ace
I'm pretty surprised someone didn't mute the video lolol.

If I upload anymore videos on these following them, please remember to tone down your volume, the audio quality is terribad.

We were testing someone's capture card, we thought the sound was sounding bad because of the notebook's speakers, when playing the videos in my house, such a terrible surprise. lol

one more
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Au6v8ZdNEr8

Link and DK

Shadic

Alakadoof?
NNID
Shadoof
It takes FBS a long time to kill anything. Although DK his a heavy with a great horizontal recovery, living to 250% is pretty exceptional. Keep in mind that most of that damage was done via projectiles, as well. A full hit Nair, or any of his other aerials would have been a KO long before that. Same with any of his smashes.

SHOTTYGURU

Smash Apprentice
I'm pretty surprised someone didn't mute the video lolol.

If I upload anymore videos on these following them, please remember to tone down your volume, the audio quality is terribad.

We were testing someone's capture card, we thought the sound was sounding bad because of the notebook's speakers, when playing the videos in my house, such a terrible surprise. lol

one more
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Au6v8ZdNEr8

Link and DK
the match was cool but the fact that the first three stocks weren't taken from DK until he got to 200% or more makes me really worry about link again :/

EDIT: yea less projectiles more aerials and tilts DK would have died sooner

kaizo13

Smash Champion
FireballStars wasn't really landing any finishers until really late on DKs stocks

and also, i just noticed Brawl's damage % numbers darken up alot faster than Melees so that might cause some sort of illusion that they are living longer

DK seemed to be dying at the right %'s according to Melee

Edit:
Although......there is no reason why DK should be recovering from way down there (yes, his up-b made it to the ledge)

Shadic

Alakadoof?
NNID
Shadoof
USmash kills DK no DI on PS2 around 155%, starting from the first hit.

It's not amazing, but DK is a heavy and I think PS2 has a moderately high ceiling.

It kills Mario around 127% on FD no DI, for reference.

o-Serin-o

I think 56 nights crazy
Oh joy here we go again...Yet another post about Lucario being too good from someone who hasn't even played as him yet @_@
Nice try, but come back once you actually know what you're talking about, because "He's basically safe on almost all of his moves when he's on offense" is incorrect. OHCs are limited because of the hierarchy in the move cancel order and come nowhere close to perfect shield pressure. That's not even to mention what crouch canceling does to him...
Excuse me for my lack of knowing what you guys are talking about due my lack of any possible hype.

I'll go away now til this game eventually drops.

Shadic

Alakadoof?
NNID
Shadoof
Excuse me for my lack of knowing what you guys are talking about due my lack of any possible hype.

I'll go away now til this game eventually drops.
It's not the fact that you're in the dark about Lucario's mechanics, it's the fact that you're preemptively complaining in an immature manner.

Calling him a "stupid character" right off the bat isn't going make people want to reply civilly towards you.

There's a difference between voicing concerns/asking questions, and acting like a fool. You accomplished the latter.

Anth0ny

Smash Master
Yo PM team,

not to rush you or anything

but wouldn't it be pretty cool if you got this out on December 3rd? the 10 year anniversary of Melee? =D

I'm sure this has come up in the past, but could you imagine how gaming websites would cover it? "Fan made labor of love toward Smash Bros Melee released on it's 10th anniversary". Awesome.

o-Serin-o

I think 56 nights crazy
It's not the fact that you're in the dark about Lucario's mechanics, it's the fact that you're preemptively complaining in an immature manner.

Calling him a "stupid character" right off the bat isn't going make people want to reply civilly towards you.

There's a difference between voicing concerns/asking questions, and acting like a fool. You accomplished the latter.
If I came off as such, I do apologize.

I said it was a good concept, but looks it could become something silly.

But then again, I'm still in the dark about it.

iLink

Smash Champion
Yo PM team,

not to rush you or anything

but wouldn't it be pretty cool if you got this out on December 3rd? the 10 year anniversary of Melee? =D

I'm sure this has come up in the past, but could you imagine how gaming websites would cover it? "Fan made labor of love toward Smash Bros Melee released on it's 10th anniversary". Awesome.
I like your approach

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom