• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Project M Social Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

Most importantly, his design was awful and anti-fun. A Metaknight designed by the Project M team will be significantly better done. ;)
I've been wondering...

What would happen if you create a wildly successful character that competes well (a good character) but is the most ****ing tantalizingly annoying thing in smash bros?

basically,

What would happen if you unintentionally unleashed more Jigglypuffs?

Do you have countermeasures for this at all?

D

Deleted member

She is arguably the most anti fun character in Melee. People hate that *****

Also I never said she wasn't good.

I said: what would the PM team do if they made good characters that are annoying as ****?

Supreme Dirt

King of the Railway
lmao, personally I love fighting Jiggz.

Then again I main Young Link. :D

I think people just hate on her because her tech skill barrier is so much lower than basically every other character.

I mean if I had to pick the character I find most annoying and anti-fun to fight in Melee it'd probably be either Fox or Marth, imo. Then again low-tier main and all that.

*EDIT* Somehow forgot to mention Sheik. **** SHEIK. In her own tier altogether.

D

Deleted member

That is not at all why I hate Jigglypuff.

I hate her because I'm playing Melee. Not Brawl.

I want high risk, high reward characters who combo, get combo'd and edgeguard, and get ***** by edgeguards like most other characters.

Jiggly does not fit into that mold the same way the other characters do in Melee.

Same reason I hate playing vs Samus.

Just let me combo you and do cool things.

hotdogturtle

Smash Master
I want high risk, high reward characters who combo, get combo'd and edgeguard while able to edgeguard other characters.

Jiggly does not fit into that mold the same way the other characters do in Melee.
Yes she does. Play better Jigglypuffs.

D

Deleted member

I forgot Jiggly was well known for getting comboed, being edgeguarded, and being super risky.

Supreme Dirt

King of the Railway
lmao, what basically amounts to a FFers only mentality is silly.

And OH NO, DIFFICULT TO COMBO.

... get better?

D

Deleted member

You're kidding right?

My favorite character in the whole ****ing game to combo is Peach

Guess again

Supreme Dirt

King of the Railway
Characters are allowed to have good recoveries, you know.

Jiggz is fine and totally Melee-like.

Y'know why?

Because she's in Melee.

I mean seriously... Making every recovery of every character really really poor is pretty dumb.

GuruKid

Smash Ace
Campy, annoying, "play-it-safe" characters are very common for fighting games. It's one of those various playstyles and character molds that exists for further diversity, and in my opinion is legitimate because it serves well as a test of adaptation.

Stevo

Smash Champion
although it may not be justified, I would say that Jigglypuff is actually the most hated character overall in melee.

I'm not going to join in the pointless debate about whether she fits in with the feel of melee, but I think it is pretty obvious lots of melee players dislike Jigglypuff. (though, this trend is diminishing)

it doesn't matter though, as she will be in P:M as is

I R MarF

Smash Ace
There are a lot of interesting points here. I agree that defensive characters help diversify a game, but drpepper does bring up some interesting points, and Jiggs, in general sticks, out a lot from the cast.

She is definitely lower risk, especially her offstage game and recovery. She also has a nautral talent for exploiting an opponent's weakness and punishing them severely, and her learning curve is much shorter... only losing to Shiek in initial character simplicity though Shieks don't peak as quickly.

Her higher airspeed and lightweight DOES make it harder to use conventional combos on her at higher percents, but to work off gurukid's point a bit, players need to adapt and deal with that ****. As long as you play careful you have a good chance of beating Jiggs.

However, not to contradict myself, players simply cannot accuse Jigg-haters of MU ignorance when the fact still remains that, fundamentally and statisically speaking, Jiggs IS a less risky character. She isn't game breaking, but Jiggs should really be the only one of her kind. Its really all of the other characters that make Melee gameplay fast and fun, and if there were more characters like Jiggs itd feel campy like Brawl.

Shadic

Alakadoof?
NNID
Shadoof
Well this is an interesting stage. It's very... square. And it gets rid of the unescapable hole of death from the old version.
It's actually our old version of the stage that we reverted to because the other one was bad. Whatever we end up using is TBA.

robosteven

Smash Lord
NNID
robosteven
How many major changes has Captain Falcon underwent since the demo? I mean, besides the things that would affect ALL of the characters such as landing detection. Anybody know?

Shadic

Alakadoof?
NNID
Shadoof
How many major changes has Captain Falcon underwent since the demo? I mean, besides the things that would affect ALL of the characters such as landing detection. Anybody know?
A few random polishes to make a bit more like Melee, nothing else.

His "Show me your moves" taunt was moved to UpTaunt, where it's supposed to be. :alakadoof:

Octorox

Smash Apprentice
Writing Team
A few random polishes to make a bit more like Melee, nothing else.

His "Show me your moves" taunt was moved to UpTaunt, where it's supposed to be. :alakadoof:
Yeah, I hope all Melee vets have their melee taunts on Uptaunt. Also I want to Fox's 64 Taunt to come back!

Shadic

Alakadoof?
NNID
Shadoof
I actually had a proposed list of Taunt Remappings so that they'd make more sense in context. Haven't gotten around to it though, and I'm not sure how popular the idea would be. The idea would be that ones that involved crouching would generally be 'Down' on the Dpad, ones that have the character stand up straighter or do something above their heads would be on UpTaunt.

Because really, Brawl's makes absolutely no sense.

[collapse=Proposed Taunt Remappings:]

Yoshi:
Utaunt moved to STaunt
STaunt moved to DTaunt
DTaunt moved to UTaunt

Donkey Kong:
UTaunt moved to DTaunt
DTaunt moved to UTaunt

Sheik:
UTaunt moved to DTaunt
DTaunt moved to UTaunt

Kirby:
UTaunt moved to DTaunt
DTaunt moved to UTaunt

Pikachu:
UTaunt moved to DTaunt
STaunt moved to UTaunt
DTaunt moved to STaunt

Ike:
UTaunt moved to STaunt
STaunt moved to UTaunt
[/collapse]

Xebenkeck

Smash Lord
Haven't been here for a while, stuff is still looking great guyz. Just wondering how meleeized is the engine, like have most physics, controls, etc. been converted to melee. Obviously things like tethers aren't but overall would you say the engine is really close to melee. Secondly what is the main focus now, character tweaks /changes/balance or are you still working mainly on things like shields, tethers what have you.

RuKeN

Smash Journeyman
the P:M team, will use alloys, gigabowser, warioman, and final bosses for make new characters?

i think, how to a good idea, making a one slot with "lost characters"(Roy, pichu, YLink, Doc and mewtwo)

and other with "special characters", this slot contains a chars needle for smash (waluigi, tails, megaman ...) only the team can say why will be this chars, or making polls

but only, if this possible, because is possible edit alloys for make a new chars and put in vs mode, but i don't know if you can make the same with bosses :S

other question, Will we see a giant chars (giga bowser and giant dk, and possible ganon) how to select chars in vs roster?

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
the P:M team, will use alloys, gigabowser, warioman, and final bosses for make new characters?

i think, how to a good idea, making a one slot with "lost characters"(Roy, pichu, YLink, Doc and mewtwo)
we have thought of that before. it is not possible. sorry. the current main issue is actually making a new character slot unique from everyone else, and Dantarion's efforts haven't fully made one yet.

Ecks

Smash Lord
I wouldn't hold my breath for new characters. Specially now that no one's working on the clone engine anymore.

Also, JCz rocking an avy of the best wii game till (possibly) skyward sword.

Edit: Sorta ninja'd by SB.

Edit 2: What does Squirtle's down b do when grounded? I always see people using it in the air for recovery and nothing more.

hotdogturtle

Smash Master
I think whichever taunt has the best sound effect or voice clip for taunt canceling should be put on up-taunt, because (depending on your custom controls) it's usually easier to spam taunt cancels with your taunt/footstool button than with the control pad. That especially goes for fast characters like Sonic and CF.

Edit: lol, that discussion was on the last page; this probably looks out of place now. My point still stands though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom