• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Project M Social Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

MonkUnit

Project M Back Roomer
A recording of our stream from tonight can be found here. We used a more diverse choice of characters this time because we take requests several times. There are matches featuring luigi, snake, lucas, pit, and others. Hope you guys enjoy it. :)

DVDV28

Smash Apprentice
I don't understand this view on hacking. DOTA and CS were both hacked games and they've had widespread competitive reception (esp. DOTA)

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
MLG is a joke. Buys Smashboards, puts stupid rules in place to prevent the site from expanding, then leaves so the site can't be updated easily at all and makes Bio's job a hell.

In other news, 9 moar days?

jalued

Smash Lord
I don't understand this view on hacking. DOTA and CS were both hacked games and they've had widespread competitive reception (esp. DOTA)
Yes, but if i remember correctly both these games eventually had backing from the original developers.

Not to mention it was before all this SOPA/ACTA bull****

edit: any chance of a new announcement soon?

oksas

oak-sauce
leelue: yep. it's me. i am Ristar. the one and only. i'm glad someone recognizes him :D

it's so frustrating that there has to be this much controversy over PM. i don't see a problem with community-run tournaments anyway; i like the sound of that more. i, for one, will be bringing PM demo 2 to the next AZ tourney, and hopefully could get Taj/Wobbles/Axe/etc to play some games.

kaizo13

Smash Champion
what happened to the PNPPL writeups?

Edit: I noticed fox has melee stance now. awesome

what about Falcon's melee run? :(
wolf, lucario, ganon, and Link all got cool new run animations, why not return falcon's glory?
(that's if he already doesn't have it. it's hard to tell on streams)

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
custom textures will be optional, outside of team colors for Lucario, Pokemon, and Sonic.

Grim Tuesday

Smash Legend
I'm worried about Dedede.

Looks to me like he is just going to be PM's Ganondorf, which seems a little meh compared to how much you are buffing other characters.

He has a strong punish game, some cute gimmicks, but what is his extra "oomph" that makes him a contender?

I R MarF

Smash Ace
I'm worried about Dedede.

Looks to me like he is just going to be PM's Ganondorf, which seems a little meh compared to how much you are buffing other characters.

He has a strong punish game, some cute gimmicks, but what is his extra "oomph" that makes him a contender?
The longest non tether grab and disjointed range in the entire game?

I R MarF

Smash Ace
Not convinced. I'll have to wait and see.
DDD will be fine, he has a ton of disjointed range, a lot of jumps, a projectile, some strong attacks, and great edge guarding with a pretty decent vertical recovery for gimps. Which is way more that can be said in comparison to the other characters in his weight class like DK, Ganon, and Bowser. His only glaring issue is his size and shield but that is something those aforementioned characters already suffer from.

The character I am actually most concerned about is Wolf... not because I think he won't compete well (a shine makes him better than most chars), but I feel like he has extremely high expectations which won't be met by making him the "juggling master". And atm... juggling is one of the most common niches the newcomers are being thrown into along with Pit, Charizard, and Sonic. But with that note aside, juggling is bad because it is primarily attrition... and that is not a spacie playstyle.

Fox and Falco have a playstyle which is extremely dynamic. They have a potent air game, ground game, and air>ground transition. Wolf catering to a certain playstyle is causing him to lose a lot of that dynamic play. The lack of a sex kick for ground combos and the fact his nair looks to have too low of hitstun to be followed up with anything else but a shine will hurt his approach and force him to combo upwards. His fair may be decent for ground combos at low percent, but as far as I can tell, all it does is force him to go upwards. Also, fair being this great upwards kill move seems really uninspiried when it was already given to Charizard and Fox is already known for his ability to kill upwards in the air so it seems uninspired in comparison to the spacies.

Speaking of uninspired, check out this quote from the project: m website:

The most notable property that makes Wolf so unique from the other space animals is his ability to launch foes into the air and juggle them more effectively. He has several attacks that can be used on the ground as launchers, such as his dash attack, down tilt, up tilt, and reflector. He can also use short-hopped forward air and down air as effective launchers as well.
This information implies that neither of the spacies have a dash attack, down tilt, up tilt, or reflector that hits the opponent upward. What the??? and even if these moves have recieved the "JUGGLING FRIENDLY :bee:" stamp of approval, Fox's uptilt and Falco's downtilt are still more threatening because they are kill moves. I do like him keeping the dair meteor, since that makes him more unique since he is the only spacie that can perform grounded meteors, but I don't really see what is so unique and great about Wolf other than the fact he is far less dynamic than the other spacies.

Wolf should be viciously tearing his opponents apart, not suspending them in air for a minute in a half and doing what Fox already does to his opponents in 3 seconds.

Vigilante

Smash Lord
leelue: yep. it's me. i am Ristar. the one and only. i'm glad someone recognizes him :D

it's so frustrating that there has to be this much controversy over PM. i don't see a problem with community-run tournaments anyway; i like the sound of that more. i, for one, will be bringing PM demo 2 to the next AZ tourney, and hopefully could get Taj/Wobbles/Axe/etc to play some games.
Please do. This is the best way for our influence to spread. You would be doing us all a favour. Same with the rest of you, carry the game 'round. :p

Revven

FrankerZ
You don't have to play Wolf to realize that he can't shield pressure like Fox or Falco and that he lacks ground combos or air ground transitions since all of his attacks cater to going up
I love your speculation and opinion on things you've only seen and not yet played. I love it so much I just eat it for breakfast. *CHOMP*

Mmm... good.

In all seriousness,

Keep in mind that, while we have access to the game and know the ins and outs of the character doesn't mean we're putting them to their full potential when playing! What you see isn't all the character is and I wished you'd quit acting like you know everything about the character based off what's been written and the very small amount of video footage.

It's partly your job to develop the metagame, not ours.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
You don't have to play Wolf to realize that he can't shield pressure like Fox or Falco and that he lacks ground combos or air ground transitions since all of his attacks cater to going up
okay there master of competitive project m

Comeback Kid

Smash Champion
So the same guy who thinks too many things are overpowered by design wants to start rebalancing whole characters upwards without playing for one day? No comment. :embarrass:

Edit: I don't think being more like Fox or Falco is what Wolf needs. We need unique characters that work even if the spacie flavor is there.

Vigilante

Smash Lord
We can balance characters just fine. Like making Jigg's rest a jump-cancellable shine with a larger hitbox, obviously. (Joke)

jalued

Smash Lord
Theory Smash- the official game of the P:M thread.

:phone:
The only thing possibly limiting wolf's ability to compete to the other spacies level is that his most prominant smash is the dsmash, and since sticky teching is still an issue, it means that it may not kill as often.

But thats miniscule because it'll probably be used to edgeguard, and therefore cannot be teched anyway.

Just to ask, I know it won't be included in demo2, but has there been any breakthroughs with ledge teching? I always loved being able to do that in melee, made the edgeguarding more dynamic.

Archangel

Smash Hero
NNID
combat22386
Puff was and still is considered broken by some. However she's not won 1st place in awhile. We should expand the hitbox on her Rest. (Obvious Joke)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom