• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Project M Social Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Archangel

Smash Hero
NNID
combat22386
Honestly, no characters other than Fox and Falco (and Peach) did sustained, genuinely dangerous shield attacking in Melee...Shield pressure that actually makes it difficult to shield is largely a myth outside of the space animals (or Peach). Typical shield pressure is more about poking at a shield and predicting/covering the opponents OoS options. This is alive and well in PM.
Maybe so. I'll fiddle with the faddle a little bit more. So far I can recount from just from today at least 10 times where I was shield grabbed or grabbed in general in ways that seemed not legit.

Dingding123

Smash Journeyman
Really? It's the other way around for me braggins; I love D3 but think he isn't viable.

He's got grabs, ftilt, bair, fair and grabs. That's it. Everything else is between meh and subpar. His jabs are pretty good now but there are plenty of situations where you could just try to grab instead of jab and be just as (or even more, if they're blocking) productive.

The moves that feel the most lacking to me:
Dsmash - It doesn't come out that quickly and, ironically, isn't that good at hitting people on the ground. I tried dsmashing a shiek as she was lying down and it went right over her lol.
Nair - If it's always going to have such a cruddy hitbox, it should get the boozer treatment or something and have some nifty super armour.
Utilt - Probably just because I miss its ridiculous KB and damage from barlw :p
Wavedash - lol

As for his specials, his Jet Hammer has weaksauce armor and little shield stun - intentional I know, but it just seems lackluster to me. His upB really needed that super armour or something - anything - he's so easy to edgeguard without it. I've got no issues with his sideB but it'd be awesome if you could chunk waddle dees diagonally upward as well as straight like in Brawl- or whatever other mod I saw it in. Inhale is inhale.

It's not that I'm disappointed with your work so far, guys. I love this game and all of these characters. But I'd love to see some buffs later on for this guy. He's better than a one-trick pony, but not a few-trick pony.

Braggins

Smash Apprentice
Damn he prolly thinks we ruined his favorite character.

.....? It's like you wanted us to save you from yourself or something haha.

DDD was kept largely the same for a couple reasons, but 1 was that he made the transfer quite smoothly from Brawl to P:M, and second he serves as a bit of a tribute to Brawl. You can play him in a similar-to-brawlish style which should be somewhat inviting to Brawl players, or you could play him faster and more in line with a Melee style. He is what you make of him, but I am kindof confused why a brawl player who chose to main DDD of all characters, who was excited about Project:M because of him, would be disappointed that he didn't change that much in transition. =/
Because I'm a melee player who played Brawl for a while until I couldn't take it anymore... I don't want to feel like I'm playing Brawl because I pretty much can't stand it. I played DDD even though he was boring and shallow(even by Brawl standards) because I just like him for some reason(probably the pimp robe). I was pumped about him being in demo 2 because I was hoping I would get to play an interesting melee version of The King. But he is just Brawl DDD that can approach some now just because its melee. It is disappointing and surprising because getting away from Brawl is such a big part of Project M. I understand if he was meant to be a tribute to Brawl and a possible route to an easy transition for Brawl players. It is still disappointing that the character I wanted to play the most was the one chosen to serve this purpose. I didn't except him to be fast or super technical or anything because he is a big slow penguin but I expected him to have something that made him more interesting or feel more like a melee character (some significant moveset changes or a good wd or something). Is it not reasonable to be disappointed that a new character I was super excited about is pretty much exactly the same as his brawl incarnation when every other brawl newcomer was changed fairly significantly?

Gimpyfish62

Banned (62 points)
BRoomer
i think people dont know how to use the move

im all about the smart and condescending apparently

because i've played the game for months

and youve played the game for half a day?

wooooooooooooooooooooo

smash players get trolled so easily even when there isn't any trolling actually there

GPDP

Smash Ace
To those who haven't unlocked all the characters or stages:

Back up your Project M GCT. Next, go to GeckoCodes, and make a codeset with just codes that unlock those things, then download it and put that on your SD card. Boot up Brawl, and it should unlock all those things. Once that's done, put the Project M codeset back on your SD card, and you should have everything.

Archangel

Smash Hero
NNID
combat22386
Shieldstun is exactly the same as melee. Shield sizes, pushback, etc are not. Don't forget about this.
Could be the Pushback that really does it. Spaced attacks on shields just fine in melee. Now it's like anything that gets blocked is like auto smacked or shield grabbed. Even double attacks like Falcon's Nair seems like they'll just soldier the second kick and grab me anyway. It's not terrible it's just not something I'm use to and I can see my self getting annoyed by it down the road. If that ever were to be fixed it would help in the way of transferring. Oddly enough the adjustment to everyone and everything else was EXTREMELY easy.

Kink-Link5

Smash Hero
Maybe it's because my roommate plays Lucario that Wolf's blaster doesn't seem that great. The Sakura style hadoukens are just so multi-purpose.

I think I figured out why, or at least can elaborate further, Charizard has problem areas. His Ground to Air game is easily one of the best if not the best in the game, and I doubt anyone could really say otherwise. His Air to Air game is good IFF the opponent is above him. At even level or Charizard above for the most part, it is less stellar. His Ground to Ground game is decent, but definitely no where near the best or even within the top 50% of the cast. The final piece, his Air to Ground game, is really bad. Against a grounded opponent, especially one with space controlling projectiles, he has such limited options unless he is already at an advantagous position, and he has a lot of trouble getting the openings he needs to get in that position. His best Air to Ground options are Nair, which requires an absurd amount of dedication, and bair, which requires him to get past his slow jumpsquat quickly enough that the opponent won't be able to hit him on frametrap. Again, this is catalysed by projectiles, which severely limit Charizard's ability to navigate forward, especially transcendent projectiles or anything his flamethrower can't eat through.

The most hindering part of Charizard's AtG game seems to be his glide. I firmly believe it should either not send him into specialfall if canceled without an attack, the Glair should have light armor to get through the weak projectiles and jabs that hinder his offense, the Glair should not alter his flight trajectory (The "Boost" it gives, so to say), or any combination of these three. Especially the first and third would be nice, because he would greatly appreciate more manual control over his air time.

Probably going to be using Charizard exclusively.

! Can Lucario's standard B shots not be shield reflected like the rest of projectiles? I've powershielded them many times but they seem to just disappear. They can be reflected by other means, but this is a very curious issue.

Braggins

Smash Apprentice
Really? It's the other way around for me braggins; I love D3 but think he isn't viable.

He's got grabs, ftilt, bair, fair and grabs. That's it. Everything else is between meh and subpar. His jabs are pretty good now but there are plenty of situations where you could just try to grab instead of jab and be just as (or even more, if they're blocking) productive.

The moves that feel the most lacking to me:
Dsmash - It doesn't come out that quickly and, ironically, isn't that good at hitting people on the ground. I tried dsmashing a shiek as she was lying down and it went right over her lol.
Nair - If it's always going to have such a cruddy hitbox, it should get the boozer treatment or something and have some nifty super armour.
Utilt - Probably just because I miss its ridiculous KB and damage from barlw :p
Wavedash - lol

As for his specials, his Jet Hammer has weaksauce armor and little shield stun - intentional I know, but it just seems lackluster to me. His upB really needed that super armour or something - anything - he's so easy to edgeguard without it. I've got no issues with his sideB but it'd be awesome if you could chunk waddle dees diagonally upward as well as straight like in Brawl- or whatever other mod I saw it in. Inhale is inhale.

It's not that I'm disappointed with your work so far, guys. I love this game and all of these characters. But I'd love to see some buffs later on for this guy. He's better than a one-trick pony, but not a few-trick pony.
I don't know for sure that he is viable. He seemed fine when I played him and every time I hear anyone from the PMBR talk about him they always say he is really good so I was just giving him the benefit of the doubt.

Mr.Pickle

Smash Lord
FINALLY!...God Ive had to go through so much bull**** today, lol 7 attempts, 4 of which the zip file got corrupted lol wtf, 5th one the installer just quit half way through the characters, and then the 6th one got stopped cause of a power out...... but its finally over, ha ha wish I could call out tomorrow.

Gimpyfish62

Banned (62 points)
BRoomer
i think you do not comprehend the word amazing

the word amazing does not mean the same thing as the word "best"

wolf's projectile is amazing

falco's projectile is ludicrous and the best

Grim Tuesday

Smash Legend
If its not close to as amazing as Falco's laser, then I haven't been under-rating it, semantics be damned.

EDIT: My bad...

If its not close to as AMAZING as Falco's laser

then I haven't been under-rating it

semantics be DAMNED

LOL

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
NNID
UltiMario
3DS FC
1719-3180-2455
Late to the party here but imma just chime in and say RARing with Wolf for approaching and pressure is easy ****.

Certainly easier than using his Laser, to say the least. <.>

Kink-Link5

Smash Hero
Actually wait. Sh Bair would not be air to ground, it would still pretty much fall in the same category as GtG moves I think. Charizard already in the air trying to come in at a grounded opponent. That aspect, that's what's really bad for him. Not-so-Stellar GtG game doesn't help the matter, he just has quite a bit of trouble against firmly grounded opponents.

Gimpyfish62

Banned (62 points)
BRoomer
sort of a combination of both

i'd try to play him using the armor as little as possible

and then you can use it more when it matters

being good at bowser will be more about utilizing his range than using his armor

Grim Tuesday

Smash Legend
This aspect isn't much of a problem if you waveland it. It is awkward at first, especially if you are used to to quickly short hop lasering with Falco constantly like I am.
I got used to the timing pretty quickly.

I can just see myself starting a laser at mid range and getting punished for it via an aggressive push by the opponent because of the start-up speed.

Shell

Flute-Fox Only
Then maybe you should see yourself doing a retreating SH reverse laser and wavelanding back towards them.

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
NNID
UltiMario
3DS FC
1719-3180-2455
SHeLL I think your post made me want to agree with Grim even more.

Grim Tuesday

Smash Legend
Glad to see that the PMBR has brushed up on their personal relations in time for the second demo.

If you retreat a laser and waveland forward, and your opponent shffls forward... They're going to hit you... lol

It works for Falco cause the laser itself is faster, so it catches the short hop.

Braggins

Smash Apprentice
I got used to the timing pretty quickly.

I can just see myself starting a laser at mid range and getting punished for it via an aggressive push by the opponent because of the start-up speed.
Fair enough. I've been having that problem too sometimes. I'm so used to B being the "put your opponent in their shield" button from playing Falco so much. Sometimes I do it instinctively in really bad situations and get punished.

I R MarF

Smash Ace
Yeah, so I know that I am not very popular around here, but I just want to say that I do appreciate the PMBR and I can't thank them enough for what they have done despite I disagree with them on certain design decisions. And I have played demo 2 and I think it goes without saying how excellent it is.

However, upon fiddling around with most of the characters, does anyone else get that feeling like some characters may affect the playability of others? For instance, characters like Link and Marth feel boring now and outclassed by either other character(s) or dull in general. I feel that the only ones who might still be interested in them is their mains. Pikachu and maybe Luigi might also be applied to that category but I'm not sure.

Maybe the culprit is some of the characters that feel less focused? For instance, I think Snake, Charizard, and Sonic are excellent because they have a specific playstyle and they stick to it while still being appealing. However, characters like ROB and Pit who have gimmicks but can be played multiple ways making them less focused which affects other characters who aren't like that negatively. Does anyone else get this kind of feeling?

However, I like all the characters. I still think Wolf won't be as good as Fox and Falco and I think Zelda being able to air dodge from teleport is a little goofy, but aside from that and potential playability issues. Its pretty solid. Great job again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom