• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Project M Social Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

iLink

Smash Champion
Oh just to clarify, those aren't my CSP at all. All credit goes to SJS. I'm just putting them together in a single file for people to use.

@ Dazrin: I was saying I was asking about which squirtle portrait to use while I'm asking about the others, not specifically how he is coming along as a character. Thanks though lol.

Metà

Smash Master
The original post you made does a fine point of illustrating that l-canceling isn't broken, and how a metagame developed around it. But that's not really the point of contention. The problem with l-canceling is that it creates an arbitrary point of failure for one player with no trade-off, which places all the cost for approaching on the aggressor. M2K has no cost associated with light-shielding to stop Lucky from l-canceling. If l-canceling cost some unit that had more general utility, then preventing Lucky from l-canceling would have given Lucky more options. As it is, mixing Lucky up costs M2K nothing.

From a player's perspective, yeah, you just have to deal with it, but from a game design perspective, this is really sloppy.
actually, light shielding DOES cost something. it incurs significantly more shield stun that regular shielding, so if the aggressor succeeds in his l-cancel, the defender could be in a ba see situation. light shielding is a defensive mix-up, but it was designed to have a trade-off

:phone:

Kink-Link5

Smash Hero
Here is just a suggestion for the people working on project M to consider.

I would like there to be a reason not to L-cancel.
Because L-Cancel timing is different depending on hit, shield, angled shield, or whiff and requires conscious effort to input just as much as teching does. Having automatically shortened aerial landing lag would be effectively the same as Auto-Teching by holding R at any time.

MaxThunder

PM Support
Kinda off-topic but to anyone that uses my CSP, which would you prefer from the 2 examples given?

All my preferred choices are on the right but since I share it I figured I'd let others decide too.
I like the one on the right for everyone except falcon (other one looks cooler) and ganon (other one better represents him in smash)...

Because L-Cancel timing is different depending on hit, shield, angled shield, or whiff and requires conscious effort to input just as much as teching does. Having automatically shortened aerial landing lag would be effectively the same as Auto-Teching by holding R at any time.
you don't actually have to time it, though... you can just spam the input of your choice until you hit the ground... easiest to do with z... L-CANCEL WITH Z FOR TOP TIER!!!

also you are misinterpreting what the guy said... he likes l-cancel... just thinks it would be nice for some characters to have situations where it's good to not do it...

Kink-Link5

Smash Hero
All the left hand ones look good except Ganon and Squirtle, both of which are just as bad as the right version. The purple fire whatever stuff on Ganon's hands looks more like painted furballs than dark energy, while both of the Squirtles just look rather boring.

Both Pits look good but the right-hand one looks better.

GHNeko

Sega Stockholm Syndrome.
NNID
GHNeko
Nothing. It's just that l-cancel discussions are pretty much no go since they always devolve into "yes we should have it" and "no we shouldnt have it."

ph00tbag

C(ϾᶘϿ)Ͻ
actually, light shielding DOES cost something. it incurs significantly more shield stun that regular shielding, so if the aggressor succeeds in his l-cancel, the defender could be in a ba see situation. light shielding is a defensive mix-up, but it was designed to have a trade-off

It also creates more pushback, which negates the shieldstun with travel time. This is how pushblocking works in every fighting game that has it, and it's always intended to benefit the person doing the pushblock, even if they're stunned for longer.

Slashy

Smash Lord
My problem with L-Canceling is that there isn't any punishment designed for failed L-Canceled attempts. A failed L-Cancel attempt is the same as not L-Canceling. If there was an added punishment for pressing shield during the fail window, then the technique would probably have more depth.

GP&B

Ike 'n' Ike
NNID
MetalDude
Was just going to mention the larger pushback from light shielding. The real tradeoff is that you're out of range for shield grabs (for non-tether grabs/non-DDD) and OoS options.

GaretHax

Smash Journeyman
Edit: bad topic apparently >_< Gonnon on right, just because the left one looks kinda silly. If he werent crouching and looked more, well intimidating... Most on the right are pretty sweet honestly though squirtle looks pretty akward as well (the right one that is).

OmegaMuffin

Smash Journeyman
NNID
OmegaMuffin498
Kinda off-topic but to anyone that uses my CSP, which would you prefer from the 2 examples given?

All my preferred choices are on the right but since I share it I figured I'd let others decide too.
Right, Right, Right, Right, Right, Left

Also I uploaded three matches. Would anyone mind watching them and giving criticisms on both sides? These matches weren't the best lol

Darkji

Smash Cadet

I prefer the left one for Falcon, Ganon and Peach. Otherwise I like the right CSPs better.

MaxThunder

PM Support
My problem with L-Canceling is that there isn't any punishment designed for failed L-Canceled attempts. A failed L-Cancel attempt is the same as not L-Canceling. If there was an added punishment for pressing shield during the fail window, then the technique would probably have more depth.
there isn't really a fail window... you don't even have to time it... just spamming it until you hi the ground will do it...

l-cancel with z so good=)...

Life

Smash Hero
Yeah, the punishment for a missed l-cancel (if you're too late) is shielding instead of doing your stuff.

And I told myself I wouldn't say any more on the subject. Siiiiigh. Y'all know what I think and I think that's good enough anyway.

So about Pit...

Vkrm

Smash Lord
So like, got pm. Is there a good place for matchmaking? I wanna get games with players in my area to cut down on lag and AiB seems dead.

metroid1117

Smash Master
So like, got pm. Is there a good place for matchmaking? I wanna get games with players in my area to cut down on lag and AiB seems dead.

Using Google, look for an xat chat called "dabessdi;" it's a good place to find matches.

With regards to Pit, I haven't played one offline before. However, I can imagine that it's extremely annoying to play against Pit.

cannedbread

Smash Lord
why is there a problem with l-canceling? i mean, technically, it's like, the first technical barrier that seperates the casuals from the competitive players. it was, like, technically, the first technical thing i ever learned, in terms of melee tech. after all, this is supposed to be modeled after, technically, one of the most technical competitive fighting games ever, technically speaking.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom