• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Project M Social Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

McNinja

Smash Ace
There is one slight problem with this. In Melee, one could control the density of the shield by altering the pressure with which they pressed the shield button. The only reliable way to do a 'perfect lightshield' was to press the Z button. In other words, only analog buttons (L&R buttons on GCN controllers) can truly replicate Melee's lightshielding mechanic. However, if one really wanted to change the way lightshields work in the way you're suggesting, it would be worthwhile to note that Classic Controllers have ZL and ZR buttons, so if those can be differentiated, then one of those could easily be used for lightshields.
Hmm this is an interesting idea... I approve.

:phone:

B.W.

Smash Champion
It's been suggested, but fact of the matter is, it would be a good move if Shield and Light Shield could be made two different options.

The reason I mention the Shield + Special = Light Shield thing is because it'd simply just be easier to get used to than having to press a different button for a different kind of shield since with the current build we're all pretty much used to using L or R or whatever button people use to shield being the only button needed to Shield with.

Also it could possibly (I don't really know) be easier to code Shield + Special = Light Shield instead of making an entirely new mechanic to be used with just a single button.

Mattnumbers

Smash Master
They should just have a set max size of light shield and a set max size of normal shield (max size as in when it's first put up without taking any hits or decaying). Having the imperfect light shield sizes really doesn't matter and can't be replicated on non-GC controllers.

B.W.

Smash Champion
They should just have a set max size of light shield and a set max size of normal shield (max size as in when it's first put up without taking any hits or decaying). Having the imperfect light shield sizes really doesn't matter and can't be replicated on non-GC controllers.
This is what I'm proposing for for the L/R+B input.

ph00tbag

C(ϾᶘϿ)Ͻ
Was this in brawl, or is it a result of loading PM.

It's a Brawl mechanic. Brawl literally had a mechanic that randomly forced you to underperform.

And people still think it was a well-designed game.

SpiderMad

Smash Master
Seriously though, why was it there? For the exact reason tripping was, so people treat the game with less precise movement?

I didn't feel anything wrong with my game though, like in P:M I can groove down with CF but in Melee not so much: people say this mechanic was screwing him up though but maybe It'll make ME worse now that it's gone.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TxaNbelxI_8

ph00tbag

C(ϾᶘϿ)Ͻ
Seriously though, why was it there?
It created an input noise floor that's higher, muffling the impact of better muscle memory.

Essentially, it directly reduced the reward of being better practiced than one's opponent in execution performance.

rifall

Smash Cadet
It created an input noise floor that's higher, muffling the impact of better muscle memory.

Essentially, it directly reduced the reward of being better practiced than one's opponent in execution performance.
So now I'll finally get properly rewarded for being better practiced than my friends, most of which aren't much better with a 10 year old with a controller.

SpiderMad

Smash Master
So now I'll finally get properly rewarded for being better practiced than my friends, most of which aren't much better with a 10 year old with a controller.
Soon we'll be able to revert SHs back to Melee, where it checked a frame early. Then they won't be even able to SH with a third of the cast again and we can laugh in their noob faces while we develop carpal tunnel!!

ELI-mination

Smash Champion
I took a set off him once, but he was Wolf and I was Ike. :awesome:

:smash::smash::smash:
Bubbaking if you're ever wondering why people don't like you, this would be why.

Nintendude took a set off me in tournament, yes.

I remember dropping like 3 out of 100's of friendlies to Bubbaking though....
He's clearly HIGH LEVEL son

Nevermind those SD's, in theory he's incredibly talented!

Time to make a Bubbaking speculation thread

leelue

Smash Lord
Kink be real
Most shield attempts are way away from being 1 frame away from you getting hit. A huge percentage.
If you get into perfect shielding territory, it is very easy to imagine that you just missed it, rather than start johnning. For some people.
Especially gets on my nerves because people will find Anything to john about. I'm glad the br kept this under wraps or else people would be in john city, population everyone.

Eli, don't forget theorizing off of limited experience or incomplete info, an affinity for bringing up cases where he happened to be right or close to right, constant word games, an inability to say he's wrong without adding a disclaimer, and playing Zard on purpose.

bubbaking

Smash Hero
Baldwin, NY, USA or Alexandria, VA, USA (Pick one)
Bubbaking if you're ever wondering why people don't like you, this would be why.

Nintendude took a set off me in tournament, yes.

I remember dropping like 3 out of 100's of friendlies to Bubbaking though....
He's clearly HIGH LEVEL son

Nevermind those SD's, in theory he's incredibly talented!

Time to make a Bubbaking speculation thread
Dude, no need to get so salty over it. Yes, that was a friendly set, but IIRC, we were just talking about your future matches with metroid, which will also be friendlies. I've already mentioned several times that you're a leagues better player than I am. The fact that I've only taken one set off you ever means that there are a bunch more that I haven't taken. It's like no one's allowed to ever lose to players worse than them..... :glare:

Ftr, the first time you faced my Zard, you lost to that too. :smirk:

SpiderMad

Smash Master
I'm fine with no light shields since I love light press air dodge to no end and it could get weird with light shields being in but still amazing to use, when I set-up Melee on Dolphin for NetPlay, I made Full click of L/R be the Light press of L/R, so it'd be like wifi P:M: seemed pretty good but my computer can't handle it to play good without the 45fps code which makes the game too choppy

ELI-mination

Smash Champion
How many people could care less if light shielding wasnt around
I wouldn't care if light shielding wasn't around either

But I guess the two of us are just assumed to agree on everything anyway so this post is pointless

Also bubblequeen you don't seem to get it, so I will drop it.

bubbaking

Smash Hero
Baldwin, NY, USA or Alexandria, VA, USA (Pick one)
I didn't feel anything wrong with my game though, like in P:M I can groove down with CF but in Melee not so much: people say this mechanic was screwing him up though but maybe It'll make ME worse now that it's gone.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TxaNbelxI_8
You also make combo videos out of Wifi matches. :p

How many people could care less if light shielding wasnt around
Actually, lightshielding is a pretty major thing. The increased shield KB can be very helpful in a great number of cases, and I obviously don't have to get into how beneficial the larger shield size and slower decay are. Lightshields are actually one of the more reliable ways to escape tight shield pressure, such as what you would witness from the spacees. I used the lightshield frequently in Melee. One example of its use: After taking a stock from a spacee with Samus, sometimes I head over to the ledge, and if the invincible opponent approaches me immediately, I lightshield. Any attack they hit me with sends me directly onto the ledge, so I'm safe, and I can possibly even counterattack. Lightshields also totally mess with the opponent's spacing during pressure, and I obviously don't have to get into how beneficial lightshields are for Yoshi towards escaping shield pressure.

Eli, don't forget theorizing off of limited experience or incomplete info, an affinity for bringing up cases where he happened to be right or close to right, constant word games, an inability to say he's wrong without adding a disclaimer, and playing Zard on purpose.
I bring up cases where I'm right to prove that it's not just theory that I'm saying. :facepalm: Constant word games? I pride myself on being blunt and to the point, unlike you and Kink making subtle sarcastic jabs all over the place. I admit I'm wrong all the time and I explain why I thought the way I did. What the heck is wrong with playing a character as fun as Zard? :c

TeiunBomb

Smash Apprentice
I just wanted to give major props to the PMBR for what they've done thus, especially regarding Demo v2.5. I think this is the first time that I've been hype to try out every new character, and this is coming from someone that was originally pretty apathetic to Diddy Kong. The new stage selection screen also looks absolutely sick, and removing controller input lag. (I figured that some of my more precise movements were being registered late, but I thought that it was just my mind playing tricks on me. Nice to know that I can't john about that even if I wanted to now.)

Also, if I had to make a slight suggestion about Diddy, I would say that it would be awesome if his rocket barrel victory animation were modified so that afterward, instead of the chimp dance that he does, that he would perform his victory pose from the original Donkey Kong Country. Just a thought, is all.

N.A.G.A.C.E

Smash Champion
How about giving diddy his guitar victory from dkc 2

Edit also I can't use the link from smash mods to view the new update vid, can anyone help me out here like maybe post a link to it or something?

Comeback Kid

Smash Champion
Also, if I had to make a slight suggestion about Diddy, I would say that it would be awesome if his rocket barrel victory animation were modified so that afterward, instead of the chimp dance that he does, that he would perform his victory pose from the original Donkey Kong Country. Just a thought, is all.
Prob be helpful if you posted the animation your talking about.

ELI-mination

Smash Champion
Launching into a tirade about the functionality and usage of light shielding isn't really relevant (for me at least). I already know all that stuff. The question was whether or not people would care. Not what it does and what are it's benefits.

And I personally wouldn't care. My vote is in. Other people will mention they do care. Their vote is in.

Not like "hey let's make a bullet list of the pros and cons" about something that's always been in melee.

C.SDK

Smash Ace
I can never find the post that goes into detail with what's announced in the thread title. XD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom