• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Project M Social Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

bubbaking

Smash Hero
Baldwin, NY, USA or Alexandria, VA, USA (Pick one)
IMO, Forry is muuuch better as a dedicated spinner than Starmie because of all the additional utility he has. He resists ALL hazards coming in, not just SR, and he can lay every single type of hazard down himself. His ability gives him a free Focus Sash, so if you really need to do a certain something, he's guaranteed to pull it off as long as he's fully healthy.

Starmie is better when you need to check something that's fast, IMO. Her offensive movepool, combined with her high Speed and SpecA makes her very well suited for this task. Being able to spin is just a nice little bonus, but I'd rather haver her as a check.

Plus, don't you see how important Forry is as a sign of rocks' stupidness? There are only a few good spinners in each tier and fitting one onto a team is sometimes really difficult. I mean, sure, you can always slap Forry onto the last spot because it's that good, but the same can't really be said of any other spinner.
But Forry competes really heavily with Ferro, though. (Spinning) Rocks is one of the only reasons you'd want to run Forry over Ferro (that and he has t.spikes and Volt Switch). If Ferro could spin or SR didn't exist, Forry would probably have become obscure.
/5cents

Vashimus

Smash Master
IMO, Forry is muuuch better as a dedicated spinner than Starmie because of all the additional utility he has. He resists ALL hazards coming in, not just SR, and he can lay every single type of hazard down himself. His ability gives him a free Focus Sash, so if you really need to do a certain something, he's guaranteed to pull it off as long as he's fully healthy.

Starmie is better when you need to check something that's fast, IMO. Her offensive movepool, combined with her high Speed and SpecA makes her very well suited for this task. Being able to spin is just a nice little bonus, but I'd rather haver her as a check.
/5cents
Which is exactly why I prefer Starmie, as it can spin, AND be of use later. Forretress is a predictable Pokemon. When it's sent out, you already know what set it has and what it's going to do, and switch to a Ghost type or a big threat while he lays his hazards or spins (or fails to spin), and is forced to switch out since he can't do much else.

Starmie's different in the fact that you don't know when the Rapid Spin is coming (if it even has it). People know it's still an offensive threat, and don't know for sure what kind of set it's running. As a result, Starmie gets a lot of "surprise spins" off. After the hazards are gone, it maintains it usefulness since it's not a sitting duck, not to mention Natural Cure is an amazing ability. Its only downside is that Ferrothorn exists, but other teammates can take care of him.

But yeah, it's mostly about preference.

:phone:

bubbaking

Smash Hero
You don't necessarily know what Forry's set is. Spin/Spikes/T.spikes/SR/Volt Switch/Gyro Ball/Toxic/Explosion (yes, with 94 attack and 250 BP, I still think this move is viable for a last-ditch attack, and I've surprised quite a few with it), all of those moves are viable on Forry.

Also, just as you say Starmie retains its usefulness after spinning, well so does Forry because he can lay stuff. If he's facing another hazard layer that doesn't have Taunt, he can lay traps alongside his and then spin the opponent's stuff away and dip. If your spinblocker isn't Gengar (Team Preview helps with prediction here), then you're liable to be Toxic'd on the switch-in. Forry also can't be OHKO'd, unlike Starmie, and it's unlikely to OHKO it with any physical move anyway.

I probably am biased against Starmie because I almost ALWAYS have a Chansey or Blissey on my team, and Starmie can't do crap against them. Also can't touch my CM Jirachi.

Edit: Oh, I think Forry also gets EQ, which might be worth considering in a few cases.

Kink-Link5

Smash Hero
Well, Whimsicott also has priority Encore to lock the opponent into the set-up move, then it can just do whatever it wants from there. Only difference is Quahsire gives you more leeway since you don't have to predict like beast as much as you would with Whimsi.

You know, if Kinky had a Pokemon, it'd be Whimsicott. Screw Charizard.

I like maracacchi actually, but whimsicott is alright.

Vashimus

Smash Master
I probably am biased against Starmie because I almost ALWAYS have a Chansey or Blissey on my team, and Starmie can't do crap against them. Also can't touch my CM Jirachi.
Not necessarily. If that Starmie is Choice Specs/Scarfed, it can use Trick predicting the Blissey/Jirachi switch-in and cripple them for the rest of the match. Which is why you you have to play around it carefully.

Spiffykins

Smash Ace
Not necessarily. If that Starmie is Choice Specs/Scarfed, it can use Trick predicting the Blissey/Jirachi switch-in and cripple them for the rest of the match. Which is why you you have to play around it carefully.

specs psyshock = GG

bubbaking

Smash Hero
I wouldn't switch Jirachi into a Starmie. It could potentially hit way too hard and Jirachi doesn't resist Thunder. I'd simply leave it in on a Starmie, even if we switched into our pokes on the same turn. I don't think you want to trick 'Rachi when it could potentially OHKO you with Thunder.

Psyshock does nothing to Jirachi. Like, practically nothing.

Vashimus

Smash Master
Forget Thunder. Just spam dat Hydro Pump son.

Yeah. Psyshock fails to even come close to 2HKO'ng Blissey, unless you have a lot of entry hazards down. But Psyshock's pretty good to hit CM Keldeo, Tentacruel, Gengar, and Terrakion in a sandstorm harder, and is your strongest option against Gastrodon.

Plum

Has never eaten a plum.
Premium
Entry hazards are a great addition to the metagame, but rocks are OP. So many otherwise good pokemon are unviable just because of one stupid move. They should be a two-layer hazard, one layer being half as strong as it currently is.
I fully agree with this. I love Spikes and Toxic Spikes. I think they are fantastic additions to the game, and well balanced. They open up new strategies and change the dynamic of the game in a healthy way.
Stealth Rock however is incredibly centralizing and clearly OP from a balance standpoint. I do agree that the advent of new threats actually makes Stealth Rock a necessary evil; help us all if we had to deal with Multiscale Dragonite without Stealth Rock to break its Scale, among other new Flying type threats that didn't exist last gen. Accepting it as a necessary evil doesn't make it any better from a design standpoint. It just shows that the power level continuously ramps up to the degree that the arguable best move in the game, something that's poor in design and limits the number of playable Pokemon because of its existence, is needed because everything else is getting too strong as well.
Meh :\

DrinkingFood

Smash Hero
@cannedbread
It's a pretty old wii. Got it not long after brawl came out. In fact my wii was one of the ones that couldn't read dual layered disks like brawl, so we sent it in and got a new one when i got brawl.

JCaesar

Smash Hero
NNID
JCaesar
M2K was there and declined, obviously fearing my skill.

Does Eli think he would have won? At least he wouldn't have been lamed out by Sonic. :p
M2K was not invited actually. He is a high ranking player in both Melee and Brawl and would not have had time for (or want to put effort into) Project M.

SpiderMad

Smash Master
What's the best way to mash out of ZSS' D-smash, grabs, Diddy's side-b, and tumble in P:M? And why is mashing to get out of stuff a good thing to have?

bubbaking

Smash Hero
SpiderMad, are you trying to bring us back to the L-cancelling discussion? :smirk:

If you are, I think mashing out of tumble is a bit different because it might not always be 'better' to mash out of it. For one, you often mess up the way you're trying to drift because you're mashing left and right. Secondly, if you hit the ground in tumble, you can tech or not tech and then get-up attack, roll, etc. There's literally no reason not to L-cancel every aerial you can. As such, L-cancelling is not a very good mechanic while mashing out of tumble is fine.

This is all assuming that the very first sentence of this post is what you were getting at. :3

To mash out of everything else you mentioned, you should rotate both sticks while pressing all the buttons. Believe me, it's very possible to do it well, and I've seen people mash out of these things deathly fast. :smash:

DrinkingFood

Smash Hero
Generations Ruby for IKE-tier theme
Also this forum change came just in time to interrupt the pokemon discussion. So let's talk about something that really matters, like smash bros.

metroid1117

Smash Master
Well, IL got exposed last night at SCSYN5; results for the top 7 out of 38 are the following:

1) Sethlon ($325 + $50 OoS bonus) :sonicbrawl:
2) Strong Bad ($175) :dkbrawl:
3) Kirk ($75) :bowserbrawl:
4) Oracle ($36) :robbrawl:
5) Vro ($15) :ikebrawl:
5) Kels ($15) :foxbrawl:
7) DSF ($8) :falcobrawl:
7) metroid ($8) :charizardbrawl:

I didn't perform that well in bracket (lost to Strong Bad in WR3 and Oracle in LR5), but I took 8 stocks in our 3-stock-per-player crew battle and won 4/4 money matches, so that partially makes up for it. I have to work on playing more consistently.

EDIT: OMG CHARACTER HEADS AND COLLAPSE TAGS DON'T WORK ANYMORE. My tournament results thread is so ugly =/.

Kink-Link5

Smash Hero
I sure wish it had the ability to display location, avatars at the top of posts, custom text colours, use the revolution skin, and have transparent .png avatars work.

Don't worry guys all our problem are solved with the new smashboards :smash::smash::smash:

DrinkingFood

Smash Hero
I kinda just want spoilers to work.
If this is the same software as SRK uses (looks just like it) then spoilers are going to be that redundant **** that does the same thing as collapse tags.

Oh great and we've still got a forced censor.

metroid1117

Smash Master
I don't think 7 out of 38 using charizard counts as getting exposed, metroid.
You just really don't want people to think you're good lol
I meant that Illinois as a state got exposed; the top 2 were OoS players and three out of the top 4 were also OoS players. In terms of myself, playing Sethlon in friendlies for about an hour (and getting destroyed in every game for the first 20 min or so) was pretty fun and gave me a more accurate depiction of my skill level. Still, it's no use performing well at locals if you can't play consistently enough to perform well at a small regional; again, I have to work on that >.>.

Translucent

Smash Journeyman
Smashboards is slow for me, is it for anyone else?

On another note, Bowser got third. He's shaping up to be a tournament threat lol.

traffic.

Smash Journeyman
HEY THE FORUMS ARENT PERFECT AFTER TEN MINUTES WHY ARE I DONT EVEN

no seriously, stop. major kudos to sethlon and to the 38 entrant PM event, zang, good job boys.

Spiffykins

Smash Ace
It's slow for me too. I'm sure it'll smooth out soon enough.

Anyway, time to resume the pokemon thread hijack!

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
I AM DESTRUCTOR, NLAGAGAHGHEEHEHAHAHEGAHHHHAHAHARHAHRAHH

Smashboards wait
WAIT
Oh no
Stahp

I'm scared and my eyes hurt

BrandX

Smash Ace
I'm sure the forum will get going in no time. When we made our SkullGirls forum, it took a bit of adjusting. Just give it time XD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom