• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Project M Social Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

hotdogturtle

Smash Master
Being FORCED to switch is an intrinsically flawed concept which cannot be fixed by any redesign. That's unacceptable in any game which aims to give you the greatest amount of control over your character.

Sync8699

Smash Cadet
I have a friend who was particularly perplexed about the removal of the Pokemon Trainer, but more so because the ability to switch at will with the down-B was removed (and not the removal of being forced to switch by dying or getting "tired"). I agree that it was fun to switch characters at will (like with Sheik/Zelda), but I don't think having the Pokemon Trainer instead of Squirtle/Ivy/Char is a good idea.

Instead, there should be an option to do a "Pokemon Battle" where you can choose between Pikachu, Jigglypuff, Lucario, Squirtle, Ivysaur, or Charizard and switch between them at any time during battle using a particular button combination (like holding L & R and pressing a certain direction on the C-stick). Each player could get like 3 pokemon and fight on either Stadium or Stadium 2. The stamina factor could apply to all six pokemon instead of just Squirtle/Ivy/Char and even the elemental resistance/weakness aspect could be brought back. A long shot, but it would be mega ultra super fun.

Evilagram

Smash Journeyman
Question, when Samus is brought back, will she have the super wavedash on her morph ball bombs and how will it work?

peeup

Smash Lord
Being FORCED to switch is an intrinsically flawed concept which cannot be fixed by any redesign. That's unacceptable in any game which aims to give you the greatest amount of control over your character.
If that was the only problem, that's like, literally the easiest problem in the world to fix.

Handorin

Smash Hero
Question, when Samus is brought back, will she have the super wavedash on her morph ball bombs and how will it work?
When I was in the pmbr, I tested it for shanus. He got it working the same way it does in melee. I can't say whether or not it will stay with the character now though.

Isprayaxe

Smash Apprentice
I have a friend who was particularly perplexed about the removal of the Pokemon Trainer, but more so because the ability to switch at will with the down-B was removed (and not the removal of being forced to switch by dying or getting "tired"). I agree that it was fun to switch characters at will (like with Sheik/Zelda), but I don't think having the Pokemon Trainer instead of Squirtle/Ivy/Char is a good idea.

Instead, there should be an option to do a "Pokemon Battle" where you can choose between Pikachu, Jigglypuff, Lucario, Squirtle, Ivysaur, or Charizard and switch between them at any time during battle using a particular button combination (like holding L & R and pressing a certain direction on the C-stick). Each player could get like 3 pokemon and fight on either Stadium or Stadium 2. The stamina factor could apply to all six pokemon instead of just Squirtle/Ivy/Char and even the elemental resistance/weakness aspect could be brought back. A long shot, but it would be mega ultra super fun.
This sounds freakin awesome, hopefully they put this in ssb4! :awesome:

leafbarrett

Smash Lord
IIRC, transformation time is slightly based on the actual loading of the character, and it's common to see slight differences of transformation time. Im guessing this means that the game needs that time to load the character, and sometimes not even that is enough. I thought about what it would be like if both were loaded at the same time, but I believe that would start to lag.

The Wii isn't THAT powerful, and it runs off of a disc.
Melee did it with Zelda/Sheik, did it not?

GP&B

Ike 'n' Ike
NNID
MetalDude
It's like how Brawl has that 1-frame momentum delay issue. No one gets why it's like that.

Although in this case, it's a dual-layered disc which does have a significant impact on loading times.

Sneak8288

Smash Champion
I seen Emblem Lord say something pretty interesting on facebook when people were brainstorming info on what they would like to see in the next smash. I haven't been keeping up with changes lately but what if you guys were able to code something like a percentage gain when someone starts to plank or grab the ledge too many times in a row? Not sure if someone might have suggested it already but it seemed like a pretty good idea.

Spiffykins

Smash Ace
I seen Emblem Lord say something pretty interesting on facebook when people were brainstorming info on what they would like to see in the next smash. I haven't been keeping up with changes lately but what if you guys were able to code something like a percentage gain when someone starts to plank or grab the ledge too many times in a row? Not sure if someone might have suggested it already but it seemed like a pretty good idea.
The invincibility is already 1 frame less than Melee, iirc. Percentage gain would be a bad idea, not to mention it would make absolutely no sense. The only thing I could maybe get behind is diminishing return on invincibility in 1 frame increments after, say, 10 grabs in a row. Otherwise, a ledge grab limit is good enough in most cases.

Jolteon

I'm sharpening my knife, kupo.
To me, it seems like the writer of that article took what Sakurai said out of context.

Wizzrobe

Smash Champion
Wow that's dumb, maybe Smash 4 will be worse than we thought... or at least online play will suck.

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
You all need to work on your reading comprehension.

The interviewer whined about "no items" and the like, but Sakurai only said that they (the developers) messed up. He mentioned the limitations of the system's online model (probably about the input lag and the Wii's lack of ability to patch the game post-release, maybe the matchmaking system) and the fact that you can't play in a variety of ways, and he's right.

He's not lamenting people's lack of item play--He's talking about the overcentralizing defensive mechanics and burst range options, which are (or potentially are, depending on who you ask) a problem offline, but the issue is made significantly worse by the netcode (where even with a perfect connection, you have at least six frames of input lag, and usually much more than that). He means that the only way to reliably compete online is by not approaching, and that players can't use any other strategy, such as strong offensive pressure, because any other strategy is tantamount to making sure you lose while online.

I commend him for being able to acknowledge that they messed up, and it gives me hope for the next game.

Wizzrobe

Smash Champion
You all need to work on your reading comprehension.

The interviewer whined about "no items" and the like, but Sakurai only said that they (the developers) messed up. He mentioned the limitations of the system's online model (probably about the input lag and the Wii's lack of ability to patch the game post-release, maybe the matchmaking system) and the fact that you can't play in a variety of ways, and he's right.

He's not lamenting people's lack of item play--He's talking about the overcentralizing defensive mechanics and burst range options, which are (or potentially are, depending on who you ask) a problem offline, but the issue is made significantly worse by the netcode (where even with a perfect connection, you have at least six frames of input lag, and usually much more than that). He means that the only way to reliably compete online is by not approaching, and that players can't use any other strategy, such as strong offensive pressure, because any other strategy is tantamount to making sure you lose while online.

I commend him for being able to acknowledge that they messed up, and it gives me hope for the next game.
So then why does he talk about the pro's taking the fun out of the game

Vashimus

Smash Master
That's all the interviewer's whining. And what is all this about the pros? Since when do Brawl tournament players play online?

The guy in the comment section named addMitt is spot on.

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
The sentence you mention is not in quotations, meaning it's coming from the interviewer and not Sakurai. The only thing Sakurai says about the online gameplay itself (without the stuff where he directly talks about the online netcode):

The idea of Brawl's 'carefree brawling' motto was to get rid of as many restraints as possible and allow people to choose whatever play approach they liked," he wrote. "I'd like people to take some freer approaches with their gameplay, but the sort of battle style you describe in your letter is not interesting or fun. That's why I'll probably be thinking of a way to deal with that in the next game.
Like I said, he laments the fact that people can't use a variety of playstyles. It has nothing to do with skill level--It's just that if you have even a basic understanding of the game, a person who approaches you online is going to lose. The limitations caused by the netplay, combined with the incredibly powerful and overcentralizing defensive mechanics, make it so your strategies are effectively limited to "wait for the opponent to come at you" and "lose." He's right that it's that way online, and he's right that it isn't deep or entertaining to most people, skill level be damned.

SunJester

Smash Ace
Smash bros with proper online play would be pretty cool, it'd give me an excuse to try and actually learn any advanced techniques (since the people I play with don't really bother with all that), not to mention it would broaden the Smash community.

I know someone is making something for Melee online, is there anyway that we might be able to use that for Project M online? It'd be mega hype if Project M had an actual good online mode.

Also sorry to beat a very, very dead horse, but I wish Sakurai would realize that you can still play Smash Bros at a very casual level even when its designed to be competitive. When I have some friends over who've barely played Smash at all, I turn on max pokeballs on items, or max items in general. The game becomes much more "Mario Kart" but it turns into something that gives even the worst opponent a bit of a chance. Even though this is with a competitive mod, you can have casual fun.

hotdogturtle

Smash Master

If that was the only problem, that's like, literally the easiest problem in the world to fix.
Thanks for your input. As PMBR member `daze has recent quit Smash in favor of Randomized Pokemon, the next version of Project M will be implementing a feature which allows Charizard, Ivysaur, and Squirtle to switch to a teammate, chosen randomly from any of those 3 along with Lucario, Pikachu, or Jigglypuff. You never know what you'll get next! This new feature will also take effect automatically when the Pokemon are KO'd, as they no longer have the will to fight. Enjoy!

peeup

Smash Lord
Thanks for your input. As PMBR member `daze has recent quit Smash in favor of Randomized Pokemon, the next version of Project M will be implementing a feature which allows Charizard, Ivysaur, and Squirtle to switch to a teammate, chosen randomly from any of those 3 along with Lucario, Pikachu, or Jigglypuff. You never know what you'll get next! This new feature will also take effect automatically when the Pokemon are KO'd, as they no longer have the will to fight. Enjoy!
Not sure why you quoted me there... I have no affiliation with what Sync said. Like what I said and what he said is nothing at all close to what he said. #ProjectMCommunity

leelue

Smash Lord
I can sympathize with that, but personally I would rather have a totally unique character that is like nobody else in the cast even if it is less popular in the end.
Shelda's a thing

3 different characters = you're counterpicking like 1002% of the time you pick this character. It's inherently unfair.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
yeah... basically the concept in the BR was 3 unique balanced characters or an amalgamation of 3 characters that are necessarily mediocre because of their ability to counterpick AFTER the character select screen. we went with the former and we get complaints from like, maybe one or two people every few months, and on the other hand there are several ivysaur and charizard mains that love those characters.

peeup

Smash Lord
But that's the potential that PT had. The ability to counterpick any character, but only for so much time, or only until he lost a stock, or only until some limitation was reached. Stamina was a ****ty way to balance it. Also, in Brawl, Squirtle is the best choice in like 90% of the MUs. So yes, I would have liked to see an amalgamation of necessarily mediocre characters. Because we already have 30 odd other unique balanced characters.

I just really feel like P:M could have balanced PT. And a balanced PT would be way more interesting then the three balanced Pokemon separated.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
they would have been more interesting to you. to very few others. we made the correct choice since we're aiming this at a large amount of people rather than 3. sorry you're in that group, but i'm sure you'll get over it. :p

leelue

Smash Lord
But that's the potential that PT had. The ability to counterpick any character, but only for so much time, or only until he lost a stock, or only until some limitation was reached. yes, I would have liked to see an amalgamation of necessarily mediocre characters. Because we already have 30 odd other unique balanced characters.
A) Considering that a match can take only a minute and a half, the downside might never come up. You could switch to whoever has the bombdiggitty matchup and take 2 stocks easy peasy.
B) Considering that a match could end up on a big stage, you could incentivize someone into literally running away until the limit was reached. Sonic v PT would effectively be Sonic v whoever his best matchup is. Bad.
C) If the characters were mediocre, what are the odds that even the best matchup out of all of them against a particular character is 50/50? Do you have any idea the logistical nightmare this would be? They'd all have to be bad enough to not have you autocounterpick and be unfair, but be good enough to still be able to play.
D) The potential to counterpick every match including the matches that you win in a tournament setting is extremely unhealthy. It is not space worth exploring because it is inherently broken.

metroid1117

Smash Master
But that's the potential that PT had. The ability to counterpick any character, but only for so much time, or only until he lost a stock, or only until some limitation was reached. Stamina was a ****ty way to balance it. Also, in Brawl, Squirtle is the best choice in like 90% of the MUs. So yes, I would have liked to see an amalgamation of necessarily mediocre characters. Because we already have 30 odd other unique balanced characters.

I just really feel like P:M could have balanced PT. And a balanced PT would be way more interesting then the three balanced Pokemon separated.
I personally would've been very sad if PT was kept as a conglomeration of mediocre characters. I wasn't in the PMBR at the time, but after playing Charizard casually since Demo 2.1's release and then transitioning to being a Charizard main for the past 5-6 months, I fully support their decision to flesh out the individual Pokemon. Charizard feels incredibly fun and satisfying to play, and I can't imagine getting the same satisfaction from having to switch out every time I lost a stock or having to play with a Charizard that didn't have options that are as good as his current ones. I'm not flaming you or anything, I'm just sharing my opinion as a huge Charizard fan.

Also, I agree 100% with Reflex's interpretation of Sakurai's blog post.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom