• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Project M Social Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
I'm not sure if you've been keeping up with tournament results or the general public's view of Sonic since 2.5 (since before then, too, but for different reasons then), but the consensus has been that he's an uncomfortably polarizing character that isn't healthy for the metagame. Wizzrobe has been making waves throughout that whole time (the APEX videos are silly, too), and Sethlon (probably the most successful 2.5 Sonic player, if I recall correctly) actually quit Sonic because he acknowledges how toxic the character is to general gameplay.

The very fact that PM isn't done is why people are so keen on making their dissatisfaction known, I imagine; they want to see something done about it.

OrlyMelee

Smash Cadet
I heard there were some complains about him in the previous build, and now is discussed having a flawed design in this build aswell.
I guess, it's only reasonable for people to have their opinions known.

trash?

witty/pretty
Premium
NNID
????
I do not recall a time where sonic wasn't basically expected to be changed by the next version.

Sanity's_Theif

Smash Ace
Also, this tournament was about two weeks after 2.5 came out
Didn't know this, my bad

But I really don't think Sonic is broken, let the metagame develop and let people learn the matchup more before making radical changes, nerf them after a while if it seems like he really needs it and there's absolutely no tactic to deal with a character, honestly I think Ike 2.1 got way too many nerfs, they should've made a few and see how it changed him, he wasn't overpowered enough to warrant all the nerfs he got

Sanity's_Theif

Smash Ace
So the more recent videos of Sonic, the long occuring string of success the character has had... mean less than the older video which happened after people were getting adjusted to the massive changes 2.5 brought? What? You're upset that people want to nerf Sonic after one tournament (which isn't really true, it's just now being vocallized en masse it seems), and yet to defend him you point to literally one set? I'm thoroughly convinced Sonic is balanced and fair for the majority of the cast, after watching one set. Thank you.

MEANWHILE, in reality, his *** is getting nerfed. I'm not going to wait 3 years with a game of "OP" Ike Lucario Sonic Wario DK Mario Ganon Pikachu xyz whoever the **** they buff next to get to the top, until everyone is just as dumb as a Space Animal. Not only is that a long ****in time to wait, but it would be a stupid game to play and you might as well strip any mention of Melee in the title because it would be a ****in abomination of a game. Like literally, what do you have to say to the lower tier mains, who are patiently waiting for Squirtle to be broken? Hmm? Tough ****, you should have been lucky enough to have played a character that was favored by the developers? Let any character choices stand because you're not allowed to second guess yourself and question whether the game balance has improved or not?

Sanity's Theif, you must be *that* guy with Sonic who throws people offstage and presses the B button, and you get a warm fuzzy feeling your heart when they die. I'm convinced you secretly tinker around with these characters that get nerfed, and you are liking every single hated aspect of them. R.I.P Super Saiyan Lucario.
I don't play Lucario or Sonic but I never thought they were broken, just because you can't deal with them doesn't mean everyone has to believe they're broken, get better and go **** yourself for pulling this attitude just because you disagree with me

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
I think the point that DMG is trying to make is that just linking a set where someone goes toe-to-toe with Sonic doesn't mean that he's a healthy presence in the metagame. There's plenty of room to discuss the good and the bad instead of just assuming he's too powerful or that nobody knows the matchup yet.

OrlyMelee

Smash Cadet
I have yet to see any recent videos involving Sonic.
Have people been able, to some extend, adapt to his playstyle by now?

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
There's not a lot to adapt to. The fact that he doesn't have to commit to much of anything in his neutral game means a lot of the time is spent trying to trick Sonic into running into your moves, rather than being proactive in any way. Some characters, like Peach and Falco, do a pretty good job of it by virtue of their long-lasting hitboxes and ability to control space. Most others really can't do anything about it and must rely on Sonic to make mistakes, which isn't good for competition or fun. :/

Hylian

Not even death can save you from me
Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
Didn't know this, my bad

But I really don't think Sonic is broken, let the metagame develop and let people learn the matchup more before making radical changes, nerf them after a while if it seems like he really needs it and there's absolutely no tactic to deal with a character, honestly I think Ike 2.1 got way too many nerfs, they should've made a few and see how it changed him, he wasn't overpowered enough to warrant all the nerfs he got

It's not about brokenness, it's about good design and fun gameplay. I feel like Ike is better in some regards than he was in 2.1, he feels more fun to me and he feels a lot more like a real character rather than just (fair fair fair fair side-bside-bside-b fair fair fair). I never thought he was one of the best characters in 2.1, I feel he's in the same place in 2.5 but more fun to play. I didn't have anything to do with the development of ike either. You are viewing things as black and white. It's not all about balance.

Sanity's_Theif

Smash Ace
I think the point that DMG is trying to make is that just linking a set where someone goes toe-to-toe with Sonic doesn't mean that he's a healthy presence in the metagame. There's plenty of room to discuss the good and the bad instead of just assuming he's too powerful or that nobody knows the matchup yet.
I don't care what point he was making, there was no need for that, I'm a civil person until someone gives me ****, Reflex you can actually disagree with someone without giving them an attitude, you see I didn't get mad at you, but DMG is just a straight up ******* for that

If you disagree with my opinion that's fine, but don't act like I'm attacking you personally with it, I'm out for now I've got way too many people pissing me off today

Sanity's_Theif

Smash Ace
It's not about brokenness, it's about good design and fun gameplay. I feel like Ike is better in some regards than he was in 2.1, he feels more fun to me and he feels a lot more like a real character rather than just (fair fair fair fair side-bside-bside-b fair fair fair). I never thought he was one of the best characters in 2.1, I feel he's in the same place in 2.5 but more fun to play. I didn't have anything to do with the development of ike either. You are viewing things as black and white. It's not all about balance.
No I understand what you're saying, he did need a bit of a redesign to take the focus off F-air so much and stuff, I just feel it was way too much what they did to him

In terms of fun, I think Sonic is fun in 2.5, Ike is less fun to me but not by too much

And thank you for being civil with me, seems not too many are willing to do that today, but I'm out for now

SpiderMad

Smash Master
I can't wait until there's a Lucario build that really looks smooth instead of... well, how he looks now.
If people wanted wonderful smoothness we'd still be playing with the global physics of 2.1, where Pit and Lucas and everyone felt even better

Juushichi

sugoi ~ sugoi ~
GnW didn't feel better, nor did ROB. :(

Pit still feels lighter than it feels like he should be (weight wise). Lucas, eh. I guess?

Tero.

Smash Champion
Why aren't there some small little updates like there were before 2.5?
Even if it's just a little bit like a recolor or something it kept me excited like back in the days waiting for brawl before we all knew what a ****ty piece of trash it really is.

Kati

Smash Lord
what small little updates? all I remember before 2.5 that would be considered little is 2.1, which is only little compared to 2.0 and 1.0...

Tero.

Smash Champion
what small little updates? all I remember before 2.5 that would be considered little is 2.1, which is only little compared to 2.0 and 1.0...
Sorry it was very unclear what I wrote. I meant news updates not actual downloadable game updates.
For example they were revealing the characters added in 2.5 or the Zard and Ivy recolors or the change in Sonics Side B mechanics. Stuff like that

Shadic

Alakadoof?
NNID
Shadoof
That happens closer to release. In the April Fool's Day aftermath, we said we still a ways away from the next major release.

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
I have yet to see any recent videos involving Sonic.
Have people been able, to some extend, adapt to his playstyle by now?
Not really. I think the opposite started to happen: people got better at being patient with Sonic. Early Sonic videos and gameplay were flooded with aggressiveness, or in the days of Side B you would see a bajillion of those. That stuff is much easier to handle than constantly waiting outside someones range and using his speed to get in safely instead of flying in from far away non stop. People also caught on to the massive shield pressure Sonic could generate by wavedashing out of spin up close. Sonic was kind of goofy and unrefined early on lol, or at least the way he was played sometimes made it look that way.

^^^
Sonic has more than his fair share of tournament wins and people long before Apex, long before Zenith, long before blah blah blah had Sonic come up in discussion, and watching the video itself doesn't even really showcase Sonic struggling that much. There were some pretty clear moments where Sonic got in her face and the rest didn't matter lol. It wasn't 6 minutes each match of B shot, Side B, and walls that Sonic couldn't deal with. Sanity, do you want to see the Wizzrobe MM's he had, one with Strong Bad? Made me want to never play DK again, the blue ball of lame killed the spirit. I can find matches of Sonic literally spinning in place, and winning the MU because the other character has no answer or has to risk way too much to land a blow, and doesn't lead into a combo or a kill. Wizzrobe literally won matches by going to the other side of the stage and waiting, in ball form most of the time. Which is fine, except for the part where the other character has to deal with it and can't.

There's not a lot to adapt to. The fact that he doesn't have to commit to much of anything in his neutral game means a lot of the time is spent trying to trick Sonic into running into your moves, rather than being proactive in any way. Some characters, like Peach and Falco, do a pretty good job of it by virtue of their long-lasting hitboxes and ability to control space. Most others really can't do anything about it and must rely on Sonic to make mistakes, which isn't good for competition or fun. :/

But But! We're not supposed to monitor "fun" levels with characters! I liked killing people with Ike's *please insert any A attack here*.

^^^
Ike makes more sense as a character now. Funner to combo and kill people with, funner for the other person since he won't die at ****in 20% from Fsmash. That sounds like a win win, but for you Ike lovers out there who can't grasp WHY he had infinite walljumps taken away or some of his power scaled back, you're never going to see things this way and are going to miss the point of Ike obtaining better design and the game becoming better for it.

I don't care what point he was making, there was no need for that, I'm a civil person until someone gives me ****, Reflex you can actually disagree with someone without giving them an attitude, you see I didn't get mad at you, but DMG is just a straight up ******* for that

If you disagree with my opinion that's fine, but don't act like I'm attacking you personally with it, I'm out for now I've got way too many people pissing me off today
Not really an attack on you. I could have called you stupid or a Zelda Baddie (TM) or something insulting. The way you talk about the nerfs though DOES sound like you are only considering things from the perspective of playing as the character, instead of against the character. Every character that's been talked about getting nerfed so far, it just happens to be coincidence that you find that character fun and awesome and don't want them nerfed. And in the past, your arguments have been more like "Don't nerf ever until everyone is great" instead of "Wait before nerfing any character to make sure we get it right".

You can have a difference in opinion, just voice it in a way that doesn't make you sound like DrinkingFood (Waaa Ike WAAAAAHHHHH). Clarify why you wouldn't want Sonic or Ike or x to be nerfed, because for a veryyy long time it's sounded like "Spacies are gods, I WANT MOAR GODS!!!?!!?!?!" lol. I've had you in a pile with DF for the last fair bit, you don't want to hear the things he has to say about his slaughtered Waifu Ike.

Why aren't there some small little updates like there were before 2.5?
Even if it's just a little bit like a recolor or something it kept me excited like back in the days waiting for brawl before we all knew what a ****ty piece of trash it really is.
HA

Brawl

SpiderMad

Smash Master
After watching Sethlon's Marth go ham on people, I was inspired to make a beginner video of how to do Short Hop Double Fair and stuff +Wavebouncing. For a long time I didn't know how to SHDF and this guy at a tournament taught me and maybe others just need to see a controller doing it in slow-mo or something. I was also testing the feel of 2.1 before I decided to make the video, then I decided to do the rest in 2.5 and test my feels for the version changes. I take back what I said, the only character that feels worse in 2.5 is Lucas, Pit seems to be slightly more slidey in 2.1 but him and the rest of the cast I can't grasp a definite answer.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J0sqGLVvFEI&feature=youtu.be I reduced the length

B.W.

Smash Champion
I have the same thoughts about Sonic in P:M that I do about Jigglypuff in Melee.

One attack and you're golden. Sonic and Jiggs are the same amount of boring to watch and, once you learn them (and also in my opinion), boring to play because they don't require you to do anything much.

Oro?!

Smash Hero
In terms of fun, I think Sonic is fun in 2.5, Ike is less fun to me but not by too much

This is not the only thing that matters. Fighting games are 2 way streets, and Sonic creates a toxic environment for the opposing player unless your character has certain characteristics to deal with the toxicity. Even when you are able to deal with spinning, you have to realize the plethora of options that Sonic still offers while being the fastest character in the game. There is really nothing impressive to be done with Sonic, since unless someone devotes a lot of time to very specific characters that might be able to fight him, Sonic players are just playing a 1 player game.

B.W.

Smash Champion
This is not the only thing that matters. Fighting games are 2 way streets, and Sonic creates a toxic environment for the opposing player unless your character has certain characteristics to deal with the toxicity. Even when you are able to deal with spinning, you have to realize the plethora of options that Sonic still offers while being the fastest character in the game. There is really nothing impressive to be done with Sonic, since unless someone devotes a lot of time to very specific characters that might be able to fight him, Sonic players are just playing a 1 player game Marvel.

Fixed that for you.

hotdogturtle

Smash Master
I have the same thoughts about Sonic in P:M that I do about Jigglypuff in Melee.

One attack and you're golden. Sonic and Jiggs are the same amount of boring to watch and, once you learn them (and also in my opinion), boring to play because they don't require you to do anything much.
Well that's a bad opinion.

B.W.

Smash Champion
It's the truth. Sonic being all dash-dance and spins is just as dumb and boring as Jiggs being all aerial weaving and B-air.

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
I pray to Chocolate Raisin Jesus that Jigglypuff isn't a fast mobile character

Kati

Smash Lord
Sorry it was very unclear what I wrote. I meant news updates not actual downloadable game updates.
For example they were revealing the characters added in 2.5 or the Zard and Ivy recolors or the change in Sonics Side B mechanics. Stuff like that
yeah those were great. Any little update is comforting.

Vashimus

Smash Master
Guy 1: Sonic is broken.

Guy 2: Dude STFU, he is not broken, you obviously don't know how to play the matchup correctly. GOD, quit being butthurt already! The same **** happened and Ike and Lucario when they were perfectly fine the way they were. Stop hoping for nerfs and step your game up, scrub.

Reflex: I agree with him. Sonic has broken traits.

Guy 2: You know you bring up an excellent point there, Reflex...

Kink-Link5

Smash Hero
But Ike /was/ fine from a balance perspective, just no where near fine from a polarizing perspective.

No version of Ike or Sonic has yet to be fine from a design perspective, though this Ike is a bit closer than in 2.1.

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
Ike is pretty fine design wise now. I mean yeah, you still have to question the janky things he can do out of Side B (a stage long mobility option that lets you jump out of it, and the character only being able to walljump if you hurdle his FACE into the side of a wall? If Melee were a sentinent being, it would be like wat), but that's about it really. He's a solid character that hopefully doesn't mindlessly take a dump on MU's anymore lol. Sorry Squirtle fans, your character might not be able to handle him still but it's ok because one day YOU will get a sword too and it will be made out of hope.

Srs though Ike is pretty decent now. What do you think is poor design about him, because I think for the most part he has some fair tradeoffs and weaknesses for being a big sword bulky guy.

Translucent

Smash Journeyman
I just want Squirtle to be a mini sheik that wears sunglasses that has a gun and sword. Is that too much to ask for?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom