• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Project M Social Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Prophet_

Smash Apprentice
You can use Z in P:M, too. You can technically use anything with unrestricted button mapping code.
I hope you can get Game and Watch to L-cancel his N-air, U-air, B-air in this project. In Melee he can't L-Cancel those moves =.(

DarkDragoon

Smash Champion
NNID
LordDarkDragoon
Are there any plans to change the movesets of characters like Sonic?
>_> What needs to be changed with Sonic? We gave him the ability to cancel his Homing attack with an aerial, hes pretty set.

I hope you can get Game and Watch to L-cancel his N-air, U-air, B-air in this project. In Melee he can't L-Cancel those moves =.(
Well, the way the LCancels work right now, it would probably just make it more complicated to leave moves out.

We're trying to make the lower tiered melee characters a little more even with the rest of the cast, so, for example, Kirby is remaining largely the same as he is in Brawl+, but I'm in the process of figuring out how to make all his throws into possible suicides.

-DD

Kaye Cruiser

Waveshocker Sigma
NNID
KayeCruiser
Switch FC
0740-7501-7043
>_> What needs to be changed with Sonic? We gave him the ability to cancel his Homing attack with an aerial, hes pretty set.
...You're kidding, right? -_-

Granted I personally don't have this issue often, majority of people who want changes in Sonic are troubled and annoyed by the fact that his ground attacks just don't kill as well and fast as they should. Especially Down-Smash.

Granted Sonic fights his best in the air, or when using his aerials on the ground, his ground attacks are pretty good if you know how to use them well. His smashes can just be annoying sometimes since instead of just smashing at a high percentage and KOing the enemy, Sonic almost always has to smash, then jump off the stage after them and attack again to either keep them from being able to jump back up, or finish the kill.

I'm thinking that's how it was intended to be, and the be honest, that's really fun to do. However, I think others would appreciate a slight, slight buff to his smashes so they can kill better when need be.

...Then again, I think vBrawl and BBrawl Sonic could kill just fine, and Brawl+ Sonic kills with almost no problems at all, if not easily. That said, I'm actually not sure myself if there really is a problem with his "kill moves", or if people just aren't using good judgment when trying to use them for a kill.

Who can say, really? o_o

shanus

Smash Hero
...You're kidding, right? -_-

Granted I personally don't have this issue often, majority of people who want changes in Sonic are troubled and annoyed by the fact that his ground attacks just don't kill as well and fast as they should. Especially Down-Smash.

Granted Sonic fights his best in the air, or when using his aerials on the ground, his ground attacks are pretty good if you know how to use them well. His smashes can just be annoying sometimes since instead of just smashing at a high percentage and KOing the enemy, Sonic almost always has to smash, then jump off the stage after them and attack again to either keep them from being able to jump back up, or finish the kill.

I'm thinking that's how it was intended to be, and the be honest, that's really fun to do. However, I think others would appreciate a slight, slight buff to his smashes so they can kill better when need be.

...Then again, I think vBrawl and BBrawl Sonic could kill just fine, and Brawl+ Sonic kills with almost no problems at all, if not easily. That said, I'm actually not sure myself if there really is a problem with his "kill moves", or if people just aren't using good judgment when trying to use them for a kill.

Who can say, really? o_o
You seem to forget that he has all of his brawl+ changes to him.

Roxas215

Smash Lord
Will project M still allow you to choose your buffer or will their be a standard buffer everyone have to use? I would prefer it be like brawl+ and let us choose what we want but i understand this is being made for the hardcore people and higher buffer technically means less skills.

GPDP

Smash Ace
Will project M still allow you to choose your buffer or will their be a standard buffer everyone have to use? I would prefer it be like brawl+ and let us choose what we want but i understand this is being made for the hardcore people and higher buffer technically means less skills.
You must remember, however, that there are potential risks to going with a higher buffer. While higher buffer can make it easier to perform desired commands, it is also easier to perform unwanted commands. Buffer allows me to perform Ganon's thunderstorm easily, but it also makes me run the risk of airdodging near the ledge when what I meant to do was tech.

As such, I see no reason why we cannot have buffer.

However, we should also be able to do everything we can with buffer as without, which is currently not the case, due to the "dead frame" issue. Thankfully, they're working on it.

Kaye Cruiser

Waveshocker Sigma
NNID
KayeCruiser
Switch FC
0740-7501-7043
You seem to forget that he has all of his brawl+ changes to him.
I remembered this only after I finished eating my curry, thus I now laugh at myself. XD

Yeah, Sonic is pretty much set then. :3 Will he be much heavier than he was before by any chance? o.o

shanus

Smash Hero
I remembered this only after I finished eating my curry, thus I now laugh at myself. XD

Yeah, Sonic is pretty much set then. :3 Will he be much heavier than he was before by any chance? o.o
Sonic with high gravity is fast. very fast.

Kaye Cruiser

Waveshocker Sigma
NNID
KayeCruiser
Switch FC
0740-7501-7043
Sonic with high gravity is fast. very fast.
Really now? I actually like that then. There are actually times where I think he falls a little too slowly. But he's not going to be ridiculously heavy like Fox or Falcon is he? XD;

shapular

Smash Ace
Just wondering, why are you bringing back G&W's melee nair? Obviously this is Project M, and parachute was a great kill move, but fishbowl is like 1/3 of G&W's combo game in Brawl+. Are you bringing back melee dtilt too?

shanus

Smash Hero
Just wondering, why are you bringing back G&W's melee nair? Obviously this is Project M, and parachute was a great kill move, but fishbowl is like 1/3 of G&W's combo game in Brawl+. Are you bringing back melee dtilt too?
Don't worry about G&W combo game. His glorious dtilt, nair, etc have returned. Also special surprise for his upB!

D

Deleted member

Don't worry about G&W combo game. His glorious dtilt, nair, etc have returned. Also special surprise for his upB!
You can open up and put away his parachute, a la Peach's parasol? :)

iLink

Smash Champion
I'm just wondering, what is the general thought process for which an attack is reverted to its melee counterpart or remains like brawl? Kirby's hammer comes to mind as well as Ganon's side-b and usmash.

superyoshi888

Smash Lord
....I'd still like a version of Kirby's Melee air hammer that was fixed up to not be garbage.

Shell

Flute-Fox Only
Wind Owl is pretty much right. Right now it's more or less...

1) Match Melee physics
2) Take existing Brawl+ GSH1 moveset
3) Add in the moves that were better in Melee so long as they're not too difficult to code
4) Remove some Brawl buffs if necessary
5) Blend the strengths of both together into an incredibly enjoyable mix
6) Balance

El Raspa

Smash Apprentice
Wind Owl is pretty much right. Right now it's more or less...

1) Match Melee physics
2) Take existing Brawl+ GSH1 moveset
3) Add in the moves that were better in Melee so long as they're not too difficult to code
4) Remove some Brawl buffs if necessary
5) Blend the strengths of both together into an incredibly enjoyable mix
6) Balance
Are you going at the speed that you scheduled or slower?

I'm not asking for release dates

Shell

Flute-Fox Only
"Speed that we scheduled?" Hm? There's no schedule. It's just go through those six-ish steps for each character and then polish until such a point that we really believe it delivers a level of speed, technicality, fluidity etc. comparable to Melee.

We're a rag-tag team. I will go a week without any time available and then put in an entire day. Since we're doing a lot of coding things that haven't quite been done before it's impossible to say what obstacles we'll encounter, for that matter.

It took like 31 revisions and days of testing just to make Melee-SHL for Falco. Now imagine an air-dodge system as rich and complex as Melee's, from scratch. Shanus is doing and has done a terrific job investigating all of the different directions possible for an AD (far more are possibly than you probably thought), calibrating the movement speed over time, tweaking the lengths, the amount of momentum transferred from air to ground, fixing bugs like not sliding off ledges, getting proper invincibility frames and lag frames, and much more with a little help from the rest of us.

Nothing else is quite as complicated as that, so far, but it's just hard to really appreciate how little we know when this will be ready. That's why I told everyone to go enjoy Brawl+ and Melee in the interim. Just check back here for hype ala the old Dojo... except with more sporadic but less sucky updates.

All that I can say is that is that maybe 1/3 of the cast is starting to look solid.

GPDP

Smash Ace
I can't even imagine the trouble you guys are going through to make this project a reality. All I can say is, thank you for all your hard work. You all are going above and beyond the call of duty.

I wish I could help somehow. I used to test out character gravity settings a lot, but it looks like you guys have that covered already for the most part.

El Raspa

Smash Apprentice
Thanks a lot SHeLL, now I have an idea of all the work that you are doing and what brawl+ team did

This is something that have to make all of us think over when we demand for changes or personal desires

I love you guys on a sexual way,

Thanks a lot for share with us YOUR project :)

D

Deleted member

Omfg, this is exactly what I've wanted to see in a Smash game... HYPE! Can't wait for this!

Dan_X

Smash Lord
I too am very grateful for the work you guys are putting into this! I truly am more excited about this than I was for the release of Brawl. This to me will be an entirely new game-- what I've always wanted from Brawl. I don't think you guys can understand how thankful I am for your work. Each and every night I look tothis thread, much like checking the dojo every night, just to read up on any news. It's exciting and I'm rather stoked!

Despite my obvious excite for this project, I'm absolutely and unconditionaly fine with waiting for this release. No rushing. Take as long as you want-- as long as you need.

Thanks P:M team! Keep up the good work!

Rikana

Smash Champion
I just believe the real drawback from holding Project Melee down right now is the dead frames within the jump animations. Having those removed would be make this project go down so much more smoothly as its the main reason why I can't play on low buffer on Brawl+.

Can't wait to see that trailer you're working on Shanus. It's the weekend now! :D

humble

Smash Ace
I meant that with his new much faster movement in the air and fall speed, his aerials might see some changing, because of how ineffective they would work at high speeds (for example, fair wouldn't chain well and would probably blow, and Dair has always blown) His startup for D-B and S-B should maintain the previous momentum as well and start faster so that he can link them better with his more speedy self. I don't really mind his smashes having low kill power- I think sonic should be fast and speedy, and I hope you can translate that into P:M. I don't really use sonic as is, but I think he is a character that might benefit from some changes between vBrawl and P:M.

Playing melee earlier today, excited for this project and I look forward to all that you do. I hope you are doing everything you can to make it a better game; I remember in B+ and Balanced Brawl development, they refused to change any animations, moves, and the character in any significant way because they wanted to retain the vBrawl feel. I'm not so big a fan of vBrawl, and I think P:M is headed in the right direction.

kupo15

Smash Hero
I personally think that buffer should be a set thing...and that sonic's dsmash should act like melee links up b on the ground..but meh I guess

Dan_X

Smash Lord
Humble, you must realize that each mod has a different aim, a different goal and purpose. Brawl+ was made because they wanted to change the 'feel' that was vBrawl, not preserve it. They wanted it to be what Brawl should have been, without drastically changing the basic concepts that comprise vBrawl. This means they often didn't want to change animations because, and entire moves, because it would no longer resemble the core game it was aiming to better: vBrawl. In a nutshell, Brawl+ added as much as it possibly could before losing the vBrawl way of things. They wanted the game to be inviting to all of those who already play and like vBrawl. To these players specifically, heyd be mad that characters were changed aside from the addition of many tournament based things.

BBrawl took another approach. Their approach was let's make as few changes as possible, presserving as much as vBrawl as possible, but make a better game. Brawl-, from what I understand, is designed to make each character ridiculoussly good. As said in their OP, "if everyones super, no one is-- but it sure is fun!" They can do whatever they want in this project, there not trying to keep it entirely similar to vBrawl. Heck, DK has an item.. haha.

P:M on the other hand doesn't care about vBrawl. Their goal is to make Melee 2.0. Which I am very excited for. They are working to bring many characters to match their melee equiv. Obviously they don't intend on making a character suck just because they did in Melee. They're trying to take the best qualities of said character from Melee. As for the characters who weren't in Melee, they can be creative... They can do whatever they want to make the character more technically rewarding. New ATs anyone?

Good stuff. :D

shanus

Smash Hero
I'll definitely try and import some footage today and see how many matches i saved. it might not be enough for an epic trailer, but if not I'll make a little profile demonstrating all of one characters current changes or something.

ThatGuyYouMightKnow

Smash Champion
Humble, Sonic is fine. You can now cancel his neutral B, along with wavedashing out of spin dashes. :p

Combine that with his new amazing speed, and I think he's just fiinnneee.

RandomLax

Smash Apprentice
NNID
RelaxBro
3DS FC
3668-7762-8508
I'll definitely try and import some footage today and see how many matches i saved. it MIGHT NOT BE ENOUGH FOR AN EPIC TRAILER, but if not I'll make a little profile demonstrating ALL OF ONE CHARACTERS CURRENT CHANGES or something.
Falco please, oh for the love of god Falco!

Shanus your good looks make you more broken than (vbrawl) metaknight

V-K

Smash Ace
Shanus it doesn´t matter how epic it looks just make a basic video that shows the physics and moves.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom