• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Project M Tournaments in Australia

Status
Not open for further replies.

dean.

NNID
dean7599
3DS FC
1435-4425-6023
I have my console(s) working again as well and bring them every tournament.
The main problem is still people playing friendlies/running off for 1hour+ during tournament tho.

Jei Jei

Smash Champion
NNID
Jei_Soul
3DS FC
1564-4103-8935
Yeah defs. Jamwa bringing your console would help greatly.

Kicking people off when they are playing friendlies is pretty easy. Everyone jumps straight off when asked which is good. But yeah getting food and not coming back for ages is still an issue.

:phone:

dean.

NNID
dean7599
3DS FC
1435-4425-6023
Oh yeah, the cross-overs between games holds things up as well, especially players who usually go late in bracket in both like Earl and Toshi. Not much we can do 'bout that though.

Jei Jei

Smash Champion
NNID
Jei_Soul
3DS FC
1564-4103-8935
That's true. I think more consoles will solve a lot though. More consoles = more friendlies and less time wasting.

I don't have a problem with people going to eat. I usually give a half hour to 45 mins if their location in the bracket allows it. That's more than enough time to go buy food and bring it back. But people are eating at the restaurant/food court etc. and taking more than an hour. That is obviously where we need to start DQing people.

I mean, we are all friends here, I really don't want to do that. But if project m starts and we need to push our way through so many tournaments then obviously we need full co-operation from everyone.
I know I say that a lot and then I end up being too lenient but now it's becoming an issue whench could be solved with more consoles and not disappearing.

So I have no idea why I'm making such a long post about this lol but yeah, basically to Attila: you are right, we need to be more strict but we also need everyone's help.

CAOTIC

Woxy
BRoomer
need to employ the cao-is-a-jerk tactic and turn off friendly matches, DQ your best friends. from my exp, people will still wub you anyway. <3

Jamwa

Smash Champion
Maybe we should devise a system, where we have allocated bracket consoles and friendly consoles, and make sure there is always a bracket game going on so as not to waste time.

I know its probably hard for the TO's (I hope this stands for tournament organiser, because if it doesn't then thats what I mean) to actually implement this but its just a thought.

Invisi

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3411-2321-4441
You guys should have a dedicated lunch hour. In Sydney, everyone goes to lunch at the same time, and nothing gets held up except by people simply not doing their matches. Of course, lunch being a pub lunch next door done by the venue makes it much easier to organise, but if you just tell everyone what time they're allowed to be out to get food, and remind them when it's time, it shouldn't be too hard to coordinate. Then you can DQ people who leave outside that hour without feeling bad about it.

DD_

Smash Journeyman
I've already said this yo Billy but yeah, I've run brackets and SNL and Shadowloo Showdown before and i'm more than happy to help run stuff for smash at monthly events (SF4 and MVC seem to be dead at CW now). I havn't been playing smash long granted, but from seeing how you guys do things there are a couple of easy fixes that could be made.

First is what invisi said. A dedicated break for 30 mins to 1 hr in between the games is a good way to avoid disputes. People are free to leave during the bracket but risk DQ.

The other idea is that with SF and stuff we have a number or letter for each TV. You'd be surprised how less ofter people sit at a setup for friendlies when the TV has an allocated letter on it. Forcing matches to be played on a setup chosen by TOs workes wonders . I did see jei and dean doing this at ACL for the brawl amateur bracket which was great :D

The idea of having friendly setups alongside tournament setups is nice, but from the FGC standpoint at least (espicailly when we are low on setups) is that we "Nazi" our way though brackets, keep geting matches on and played. That way we finish as efficiantly as possable and there is heaps of time for friendlies afterwards. Dekar did this at "Don't get hyped". I was messing around and I got DQ'd into loosers in brawl.

A little more strictness and a little more organization/co-operation with everyone (which I find to be easier with the smash community as ya'll are alot friendlier :p) and project M can EASILY become a regular thing in melbourne

/end rant

tl:dr: Project M can be done at all monthlies with some work :D

Jei Jei

Smash Champion
NNID
Jei_Soul
3DS FC
1564-4103-8935
What DD said, DD is sex.

We used to have a dedicated lunch break back in the stigma days. I remember Leisha running around taking everybody's lunch order. Was cash.
But we had so much time on our hands back then. The convent was great despite everything.

CW halves the time we used to have. I would like p:m and I think its doable but it's not going to be easy.

Splice

Smash Hero
If we could have set lunch times that'd be really good.
I have had days where I could not eat for the entire day, because I was in all doubles events top 3, then I had matches, then I had to wait for people and If I'd leave while they were playing I'd be DQ'd when they finished. Therefore I've had a lot of really terrible tournament experiences and I get sick the day after because I have had nothing to eat.

It's really bad and it's probably a lot of the reason that kills my drive for getting better at the games because I'd rather eat and stay alive and not feel unwell ALL THE TIME than play my bracket matches.

can we please have set lunch times so I can enjoy the tournaments again?

The convent wasn't great; It was just because the games, brawl and melee, were seperated tournaments and the bakery was close (but still damn slow)
I mean it was a nice venue, but it wasn't the venue itself that made tournaments run well.

Jei Jei

Smash Champion
NNID
Jei_Soul
3DS FC
1564-4103-8935
Fair. But CW tournaments start at 1pm, eat beforehand?
I'm all for working a lunch break into tournaments, so long as people come back to the venue with their food instead of eating where they buy it.
If that's an unreasonable request then we can work something out I'm sure.

Lunchbreaks yey.
I don't remember the last time I ate actual food at a tournament. It's always before or after.

Or stealing scraps of people's leftovers lol. Bum 4 lyf.

Splice

Smash Hero
I normally eat on the way to tournaments, I dont usually have time at home/Tims the morning.
Grabbing a quarter pounder to live off the whole day is unsatisfactory.

Just make lunchbreaks pls

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom