• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Project M v3.5 Blog on Tethers Released by PM Dev Team

Blank Mauser

Smash Champion
I doubt things like Link's Up-B will need to be changed.

To people worrying about your characters being nerfed, remember this means you'll be able to edgeguard better characters too where as you couldn't before. This has way more implications on the meta than just straight power shifting.

Pure Royalty

Smash Cadet
so some characters wont be able to spam release ledge then z to grab again, yet mewtwo still can? really wondering if/ what will be nerfed about mewtwo (he really is too good)

Vigilante

Smash Lord
You should not be too worried. The goal here is not to make characters bad but to improve the general experience.

Plus, we're not touching every recovery option in the game, only those that require a change..

Oracle_Summon

Smash Hero
This is starting to feel like League of Legends with how the game and characters receive nerfs and buffs.

Anuran

Smash Apprentice
Honestly what is annoying me more than the imminent changes is reading through these comments and seeing welp I don't play any tether characters so its not my problem... you sound like the Germans during the holocaust...
Look, I get my opinion is scewed (ivy/samus main) but you guys are treating this like its a far off country that you dont live in so its not your problem. Tether users don't dominate this game. Good Falco, T-ink and Roy mains are winning tourneys. Micromanaging the game like this isn't going to be exclusive to this issue. Pandering to a group of complainers is going to lead to an ever changing game and that Is your problem.

I am in favor of auto-reeling tethers and sticking to the 3 per air time. I think it's a little broken being able to press a button to auto ledge hog falcon and ganon. I fear for Ivysaur with her only option being ^B for vertical recovery. 80 frames of lag will send her to bottom mid tier.

Itsnotmyfault

Smash Journeyman
This ledge hop lag will be so easy to punish. Like "braindead". Any character that has an up b recovery is going to get punished hard when they need to use it.

Problem2

Smash Champion
NNID
Problem0
Honestly what is annoying me more than the imminent changes is reading through these comments and seeing welp I don't play any tether characters so its not my problem... you sound like the Germans during the holocaust...
Look, I get my opinion is scewed (ivy/samus main) but you guys are treating this like its a far off country that you dont live in so its not your problem. Tether users don't dominate this game. Good Falco, T-ink and Roy mains are winning tourneys. Micromanaging the game like this isn't going to be exclusive to this issue. Pandering to a group of complainers is going to lead to an ever changing game and that Is your problem.

I am in favor of auto-reeling tethers and sticking to the 3 per air time. I think it's a little broken being able to press a button to auto ledge hog falcon and ganon. I fear for Ivysaur with her only option being ^B for vertical recovery. 80 frames of lag will send her to bottom mid tier.
Tons of character straight up die when put in the same situation where your opponent will be able to guaranteed punish you. If you're recovery relatively close to the stage, intercept them with attacks. Use your double jump to mix things up. If you're far away and now you're complaining that you can't come back... well yeah, a lot of characters just die here too so...

I understand you hate the mentality of "It's not my problem", but your prized possession has been everyone else's problem for 8 months now, and we want it fixed.

Fenrir VII

Smash Master
I'm having trouble seeing what the nerf to the # of tethers while offstage is actually fixing, aside from removing some little tether cancel tricks which, to my knowledge, are not OP, and the little insta-zair ledge regrab timing changer..

The pullup lag I get... the special tether chars now (in particular) are nearly impossible to edgeguard, and the current pullup timing doesn't allow for any kind of reliable punish... However that + the # nerf seems a bit too much, as other people have been saying.

This is one side of the story, and we don't know specifics on the rest of the game's recoveries... I just don't want this to turn into "throw off stage > edgehog > pullup > hit/throw off stage again > dead"

Last edited:

Daftatt

"float like a puffball, sting like a knee"
NNID
Daftatt
I'd just like to point out quickly, that 80 frames is more than FOUR of Fox's short hops.

Well at least I have a secondary that already has a terrible recovery.
fox can short hop more than once every .3 seconds?? Huh?

Bodhied

Smash Rookie
People acting like Lucas is doomed LMAO his neutral is still godlike so who gives a **** if his recovery isn't going to be as op to match. I fear for olimar though :, (

Pickledpotatoes

Smash Journeyman
People acting like Lucas is doomed LMAO his neutral is still godlike so who gives a **** if his recovery isn't going to be as op to match. I fear for olimar though :, (
I don't know where but I believe somebody in the PMDT said they thought about giving olimar a flying pikmin recovery, which could actually prove to be interesting and balanced because of the fact that more pikmin = worse recovery (if it's the same as in Smash 4)

Top Bottom