• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Promoting Melee

Binx

Smash Master
First of all I have mod permission to open this thread, also there is to be no flaming or it will be immediately closed.

First up, Brawl is a great game, it's just not AS great as Melee is (to me, and probably to the majority of people who will read this thread). First off Melee is a fighting game, and the best place to revive it is to give it better exposure at fighting game tournaments. So bring a copy of melee and a cube and a TV if you can spare to any fighting game tournament (preferably with some sort of permission) or maybe even other game events you hear of, do your best to set up tournaments at a regular basis with some sort of prize support.

If we as a community don't want to have Melee be lost forever we need to WORK to bring it back up as a major title. The same way it became popular in the first place is the way it will get popular again. Find people who play brawl, or SF, or Arcana Hearts and teach them how to not suck at melee, get some interest going on.

Please guys help me save the best game ever.

MicEdit: What did I say about the title? Hmm?

BinxEdit: You said I could use it, when I asked for permission I said I wanted to use the same title =) it's fine though.

TheManaLord

Smash Hero
I agree completely and I think it was totally out of line for the first topic to be closed.

Beyond that. I believe that this is indeed the solution. Introducing the "better" game (this is an opinion) into the Brawl tournaments is a great idea. It allows people to see it for the first time, or experience something they once loved.

This does indeed work, I went to a brawl tournament very recently and the melee setups outnumbered the brawl about 4 to 1. It was great. Brawl was a sideshow from the start.

JrdnS

Smash Ace
i totally agree. showing up with a cube at a brawl tournament will attract many people whove never seen it being played. and they will be captivated by its magic.

btw. i was thinking promoting melee is a better title for this the first time it was closed.the defeating brawl title may have contributed to the closing of the first one.

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
I agree completely and I think it was totally out of line for the first topic to be closed.
Then please, bring it up with me, which is what Binx did. There's a reason why the old one is closed and this one isn't.

Cinder

Smash Master
This isn't a bad idea...I mean, we really need to spread the love, amirite? I've got a few people interested, so yeah, I'm rollin' with that...

Edit: Gah, so many posts while I was typing <___< *needs to stop getting distracted*

debaser

Smash Lord
pretty inspiring thread

but if you don't mind me asking, where were you at the last few oregon tournaments binx? melee was played at all of them.

Cinder

Smash Master
I almost forgot...as long as we're discussing Melee promotion...*points to sig*

I'm actually gonna get a chatroom set up at some point with sections for each region to discuss tourneys and talk about meeting up for friendlies...I'd like to have some more members, though <___<

Grunt

Smash Master
I would go the H4xors more if the giant picture in the BG didn't take a half an hour to load the page.
BTW, stuff.

Cinder

Smash Master
It's slow for you too? I think it may be the FPB server or something...I'll look into the BG and see if it's affecting anything...if that doesn't work, I may have to delete some forums (there are a few I need to get rid of anyway, so hey...two birds, one stone...

Binx

Smash Master
The last few oregon tournaments I've been either a) married and poor, b) working, or c) just poor in general.

MikeHaggarTHAKJB

Smash Master
Like I said in a similiar thread (that was closed), i've done this with smash64. That is, i've brought smash64 to melee tournaments. And usually people get interested and starts playing, the majority won't but there's gonna be people playing smash 64 who wouldn't be playing it otherwise.
So yhea, this works

Vts

Smash Champion
i almost always have my wii/melee with me no matter where i go i need to buy a cube again.

but promoting melee isn't the hard part its finding people who want to play

i host small bi-weeklies (like 4-10 people) for brawl/melee the brawl people refuse to give melee a try and when they do they don't try.

hell when there was a halo tournament i brought melee and played people in it but not for long before going back to halo.

the game just takes time, my friend love the game but hates how he thinks he can't get any better and i just tell him the game require time and he just doesn't have the urge to put in as much time as others.

Uck

Smash Journeyman
Im all for this.

Lets stop complaining about Brawl and bring back Melee.There are plenty of pros that still play and i am more than sure plenty that will come back.Theres room for both.If they dont want to come back to defend there titles so be it :p

EDIT: It appears that melee made a strong comeback in Florida with 45+ people registered for singles and 20+ for teams at Gigabites.

Yung Kwam

Smash Rookie
Here here! We can't let possibly the best, most technical fighting game that our generation has seen to just die out. Dont get me wrong I dont mind change, but only when change is for the better, and in NO way is Brawl better.

otg

Smash Master
I'll try this, lots of Melee tournaments in the NE now though. I really doubt Melee will die out as long as people just continue to support the game. Even if it's just small smashfests, the game will live on; just look at smash 64. People will still hold tournies and those who love it will go out and play. For those who don't? **** em. Their the ones missing out.

keeper

Smash Champion
There's suddenly all these Vancouver / Oregon people showing up, but no one goes in the pac-west boards, wtf?
Maybe we should revive it ourselves?

I don't think I've ever seen you, personally. I'd like to play you though, it'd be a joyous time. Maybe come to Moochero Smashfest 2 this Saturday? Heck, maybe I should make a topic in the Pac-West area, also, feel free to IM me whenever (or PM).

Iceman12

Smash Journeyman
Its up to Binx, Keeper, juce, bc and myself to revive melee in portland! Everyone should come to moochero smashfest next weekend so we can have lots of people to play melee with.

Zone

Smash Champion
How do you go about promoting such a thing when only like 3-4 of you like it in your entire town withina 2hour drive radius? I'd like for local melee stuff to happen but I'm not sure where to start.

Zone

Smash Champion
^ That's the issue we're addressing...
I understand that. But it's so much easier to try and promote melee, if I atleast had SOME sort of gathering of gamers here. The biggest thing in Panama City is First person shooters, and well frankly, most people who play First person shooters only like that particular Genre.

I mean do I post flyers, about a Melee fest and see who shows up? and have a good old time with the pple that do, and get them to get their friends and their friends, Until 30+ are interested. Then hold a tourney, and try to advertise it where people who like stuff like this game may find it. I mean, I'm a poor sucka, and that's alot of money. I'm ok with the effort, I'm just low on time and money to try something so upmoving.

person701

Smash Journeyman
Im all for this.

Lets stop complaining about Brawl and bring back Melee.There are plenty of pros that still play and i am more than sure plenty that will come back.Theres room for both.If they dont want to come back to defend there titles so be it :p

EDIT: It appears that melee made a strong comeback in Florida with 45+ people registered for singles and 20+ for teams at Gigabites.
Ya, Gigabits has monthly tournies of Melee/Brawl I belive. I'd also say, if you're going to get people interested, don't just say, "Here, give it a shot." Put it like this, "Let me see what you've got and I'll show you what you can do." Catch my drift? Also, read my sig.

Top Bottom