• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Promotion to Great Lord - Marth Strategy Notes

Pugwest

Smash Apprentice
Really good post, should be sticky and i'll contribute what I can.

Bair is still a good move for ko'ing people off edge.

Victor Coelho

Smash Cadet
Switch FC
1138-9017-8903
First of all i'd like to thank Emblem Lord (and Eternal Flame for such rich comments on this character) on all the information shared here. I recently started to play Lucina and have been strugling to user her properly. I play link too and i really think he's an easier character to use. But i fell in love for Lucina when i played FE: Awakening so i decided to go on with the marriage here lol

Anyway, what are your thougts on ledge setups to kill people trying to return with Dair? The guys at "Smash and Grab" mentioned a few setups to kill with Dair or running off ledge and instantly Bair. I managed to score early kills with those ledge setups (Dtilt or jab, oponnents get pushed off stage and tries to jump, you SH and Dair on the ledge, its beautiful) but its pretty hard to space it properly.

Also, would it be possible for me to fight some of you guys? Looking for strong Marth/Lucina players to "sharingan" them lol

thanks for the attention! And sorry for the english, brazilian here =D

EternalFlame

Smash Ace
NNID
Eterna1Flame
3DS FC
1993-8719-0815
First of all i'd like to thank Emblem Lord (and Eternal Flame for such rich comments on this character) on all the information shared here. I recently started to play Lucina and have been strugling to user her properly. I play link too and i really think he's an easier character to use. But i fell in love for Lucina when i played FE: Awakening so i decided to go on with the marriage here lol

Anyway, what are your thougts on ledge setups to kill people trying to return with Dair? The guys at "Smash and Grab" mentioned a few setups to kill with Dair or running off ledge and instantly Bair. I managed to score early kills with those ledge setups (Dtilt or jab, oponnents get pushed off stage and tries to jump, you SH and Dair on the ledge, its beautiful) but its pretty hard to space it properly.

Also, would it be possible for me to fight some of you guys? Looking for strong Marth/Lucina players to "sharingan" them lol

thanks for the attention! And sorry for the english, brazilian here =D
Actually, your english was pretty spot on xD minus like one or two things that sorta sounded out of place, but it got what you meant down well enough (and its being very nitpicky at best).

Ledge setups to spikes tend to be a rather hard read really. I personally am still learning to do that efficiently, with the closest thing to it is my setup from Air DB to spike. Essentially, you'd hit your opponent above and slightly infront of you, then double jump and spike them (though even that is still quite escapable, just like the other setups to spike). Otherwise, what they've told you I'd say is about the same thing we'd tell you xD Stage spiking with BAir/FAir will likely be much more efficient to be honest, but that is a very biased opinion on my part xD

I'd be more than happy to fight ya dude. Though currently I am restricted to the 3DS version until I purchase the WiiU version later this Christmas. So if that doesn't bother you, then go right ahead xD

Last edited:

Victor Coelho

Smash Cadet
Switch FC
1138-9017-8903
Actually, your english was pretty spot on xD minus like one or two things that sorta sounded out of place, but it got what you meant down well enough (and its being very nitpicky at best).

Ledge setups to spikes tend to be a rather hard read really. I personally am still learning to do that efficiently, with the closest thing to it is my setup from Air DB to spike. Essentially, you'd hit your opponent above and slightly infront of you, then double jump and spike them (though even that is still quite escapable, just like the other setups to spike). Otherwise, what they've told you I'd say is about the same thing we'd tell you xD Stage spiking with BAir/FAir will likely be much more efficient to be honest, but that is a very biased opinion on my part xD

I'd be more than happy to fight ya dude. Though currently I am restricted to the 3DS version until I purchase the WiiU version later this Christmas. So if that doesn't bother you, then go right ahead xD
Hey there! Glad to know my english can still comunicate lol :)

Wow that setup with DB, double jump and Dair looks pure awesomeness in form of spiking. But yeah i guess this is for later when i trully dominate the chatacter, first things first right?

Thanks so much bud! I'll send you a PM with my FC and wiiu ID for Christmas battles hahaha, cheers!

EternalFlame

Smash Ace
NNID
Eterna1Flame
3DS FC
1993-8719-0815
Hey there! Glad to know my english can still comunicate lol :)

Wow that setup with DB, double jump and Dair looks pure awesomeness in form of spiking. But yeah i guess this is for later when i trully dominate the chatacter, first things first right?

Thanks so much bud! I'll send you a PM with my FC and wiiu ID for Christmas battles hahaha, cheers!
I'll be uploading an example of it soon enough on my channel xD But again, it is quite escapable, and I've at best only landed it on CPUs. So its to be taken with a grain of salt, as you're more likely to kill with other things than a DAir spike xD

Haha, glad to be of service dude xD Once I'm done with this exam week, then we'll be all set to go

Victor Coelho

Smash Cadet
Switch FC
1138-9017-8903
I'll be uploading an example of it soon enough on my channel xD But again, it is quite escapable, and I've at best only landed it on CPUs. So its to be taken with a grain of salt, as you're more likely to kill with other things than a DAir spike xD

Haha, glad to be of service dude xD Once I'm done with this exam week, then we'll be all set to go
Yeah the DB setup looks pretty hard. I managed to land the "dtilt, jump off and Dair ledge" more than a couple of times in for glory matches but its still hard and risky :/

Talking about for glory, how do you freaking deal with sonic and little mac? Damn this is hard :(

Good luck on the exams buddy

EternalFlame

Smash Ace
NNID
Eterna1Flame
3DS FC
1993-8719-0815
Yeah, though I will have to note that dtilt setup to spike myself, but most of the opponents I fight opt to snap to the ledge rather than quickly jump back and attack. So needless to say, I don't get much opportunities to spike, unless its a stage spike xD

Little mac is a bit easier to deal with than Sonic I'd say. I believe it was either Shaya or Emblem Lord that suggested it to me, but your main objective against Little mac is to get him to the edge as quickly as you can, and keep gimping him till he's forced to Side B or Up B recover. All you have to do at that point is counter them and that will be the end of them. So you'll be relying on throws to get them to the ledge, then you go for edge guarding tactics to keep pushing them off till you get your chance.

Sonic on the other hand outspeeds you; and that is a big problem for Marth and Lucina to deal with. Actually, any character that can match or outspeed Marth can really make your match a lot harder to deal with. You can contest some of Sonic's attacks with your DB, but usually you want to force them to use their spin dash attack. Usually it is their best option, but when you consider that shield stun can be canceled via jumping, wait till they go through and try the jump follow up, then quickly jump after them and BAir them. Otherwise, you will have to be a bit more defensive against them, I found. Of course, remember your spacing and keep them at a sword's length away unless you can't help it (which is fine in Lucina's case xD). I 've only fought one very decent Sonic, so there is still much more for me to learn in terms of the MU. Perhaps Emblem Lord or Shaya can shed more light on the matter.

Also, much appreciated dude ^^

EnGarde

Smash Ace
3DS FC
4914-3671-9440
Hi! Just curious: what’s the best way to put Marth on the ledge for edgeguarding? For example, let’s say I launched my opponent, but it wasn’t quite enough to KO. They’re recovering from the blast zone, and I am currently standing on the stage. How do I efficiently get on the ledge in this scenario, in order to be in position to intercept their recovery?

When is it better to maintain position on the stage rather than moving onto the ledge?

From both the stage and the ledge, what are the best options to use for edgeguarding?

Thanks! :)

Victor Coelho

Smash Cadet
Switch FC
1138-9017-8903
Hi! Just curious: what’s the best way to put Marth on the ledge for edgeguarding? For example, let’s say I launched my opponent, but it wasn’t quite enough to KO. They’re recovering from the blast zone, and I am currently standing on the stage. How do I efficiently get on the ledge in this scenario, in order to be in position to intercept their recovery?

When is it better to maintain position on the stage rather than moving onto the ledge?

From both the stage and the ledge, what are the best options to use for edgeguarding?

Thanks! :)
Hey there! Im a noob lucina player but after reading Emblem Lord notations i could get a decent notion of her edgeguarding in the situation you described. You gotta stay in a place where your opponent get up attack wont hit you and will create a punish opportunity and somewhere you'll be able to follow your opponents action. If they simple get up go for the dtilt trap, if they jump you can either go for nair or fair or just wait for an airdodge and go for a throw setup or a strong punish.

hope i could be of any help =D

EnGarde

Smash Ace
3DS FC
4914-3671-9440
Hey there! Im a noob lucina player but after reading Emblem Lord notations i could get a decent notion of her edgeguarding in the situation you described. You gotta stay in a place where your opponent get up attack wont hit you and will create a punish opportunity and somewhere you'll be able to follow your opponents action. If they simple get up go for the dtilt trap, if they jump you can either go for nair or fair or just wait for an airdodge and go for a throw setup or a strong punish.

hope i could be of any help =D
Hey, thanks for replying! I definitely try dtilt trapping, thanks for that. :)

However, I'm still having issue getting to the ledge, a tool I think it's important for me to learn (helpful for low recoveries, and stage spiking), but can't seem to do properly. It seems like my char gets stuck to the edge on top (instead of jumping off properly), and when he does jump off, he doesn't snap to the ledge, so I waste time having to jump back up and am no longer in position. :-/ I'm just curious if there's a trick to it that I'm not doing properly.

Victor Coelho

Smash Cadet
Switch FC
1138-9017-8903
Hey, thanks for replying! I definitely try dtilt trapping, thanks for that. :)

However, I'm still having issue getting to the ledge, a tool I think it's important for me to learn (helpful for low recoveries, and stage spiking), but can't seem to do properly. It seems like my char gets stuck to the edge on top (instead of jumping off properly), and when he does jump off, he doesn't snap to the ledge, so I waste time having to jump back up and am no longer in position. :-/ I'm just curious if there's a trick to it that I'm not doing properly.
Hey there!

I think its just a matter of practicing. I always position myself a little bit under the ledge and further "inside" the stage. Than i just perform upB and she grabs the ledge. When im being sniped on my get up i usually let go of the ledge and get on the stage with a fair.

EnGarde

Smash Ace
3DS FC
4914-3671-9440
Hey there!

I think its just a matter of practicing. I always position myself a little bit under the ledge and further "inside" the stage. Than i just perform upB and she grabs the ledge. When im being sniped on my get up i usually let go of the ledge and get on the stage with a fair.
Hmm, I mean getting to the ledge from standing on the stage to edgeguard, not while recovering. That's what I'd like tips with, lol. :p

Victor Coelho

Smash Cadet
Switch FC
1138-9017-8903
Hmm, I mean getting to the ledge from standing on the stage to edgeguard, not while recovering. That's what I'd like tips with, lol. :p
Aaawww so sorry bud, i got you completely wrong lol
Errr, about that i guess i never used hahahaha
I'll let the pros help u out now :D

EternalFlame

Smash Ace
NNID
Eterna1Flame
3DS FC
1993-8719-0815
Emblem Lord would be more suited to address this, but from my own experience, I'll try to give the best advice I can. Normally you do have to SH and go off the ledge and grab it while FF (its something ya gotta practice, there's no avoiding it), but there are other ways to do this too (not as efficiently mind you).

You can SH closer to the ledge, use the Air DB once to stall in the air once you're definitely off stage, then move towards the ledge. This does take away some of the need to space the jump, but you're giving your opponent more time to get back. Similarly, you can run off stage, double jump and cancel your vertical momentum with your DB once, then you should just grab the ledge if you're close enough.

You could also opt to just chase your opponents on their way back to the ledge by running off stage then Bair/Fair them. Its always risky to go offstage, but this at least doesn't require you to sweet spot the ledge, you already get to intercepting your opponent, and you can double jump to up B back to safety. This option I tend to use more than going for the ledge and waiting (since invincibility will only last for so long, and they can potentially stage spike you for waiting there).

As far as I know, there aren't any shortcut techs to grab the ledge. You have to do it manually via SH FF or go for the second option I listed. Hope this helps

Funblade

Smash Rookie
Can anyone help me out with my grab follow ups and edgeguarding? I'm pretty bad and I need someone to point out what I'm doing wrong.

I was thinking that I could add a willing person and they'd let me grab them, and then I'd try to do air-traps on them over and over again. I'm pretty weak at this (and edge-guarding), so I'd be really glad if someone could help me practice and point out what I'm doing wrong.

I'll be free in about a week from now, but I can get a few practice sessions at late times if one of you is up to help.

Thanks in advance.
Here is my 3DS code: 0791-1725-0156

Last edited:

EternalFlame

Smash Ace
NNID
Eterna1Flame
3DS FC
1993-8719-0815
Can anyone help me out with my grab follow ups and edgeguarding? I'm pretty bad and I need someone to point out what I'm doing wrong.

I was thinking that I could add a willing person and they'd let me grab them, and then I'd try to do air-traps on them over and over again. I'm pretty weak at this (and edge-guarding), so I'd be really glad if someone could help me practice and point out what I'm doing wrong.

I'll be free in about a week from now, but I can get a few practice sessions at late times if one of you is up to help.

Thanks in advance.
Here is my 3DS code: 0791-1725-0156
I'll be more than happy to help dude xD My 3DS code is there under my avatar to the left. If you wish, you can also add me on Skype for faster text conversation. My username should be on my profile as well. Hopefully we can sorta get you up to speed on going for the grab followups and edgeguarding

Funblade

Smash Rookie
I'll be more than happy to help dude xD My 3DS code is there under my avatar to the left. If you wish, you can also add me on Skype for faster text conversation. My username should be on my profile as well. Hopefully we can sorta get you up to speed on going for the grab followups and edgeguarding
Thanks. I'm busy for most of this week, but I'm free almost all the time next week. The most I can get this week is a game or two.

EternalFlame

Smash Ace
NNID
Eterna1Flame
3DS FC
1993-8719-0815
Thanks. I'm busy for most of this week, but I'm free almost all the time next week. The most I can get this week is a game or two.
Exam period and other life stuff is always around dude. I'll be around when you're done xD just send a message my way whenever you're ready to go

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
So as far as my personal development goes I'm still torn between going for ledge traps or air traps. Ledge traps are harder now due to changes in ledge mechanics and frame data changes favor air/land trap situations for the initiator. Still I like ledge traps because a single mistake on my opponents part can seal the stock.

As far as neutral goes my main tools have now become SH Bair, FH Bair, d-tilt out of walking, Pivot grab and FH fair. Jab imo is not worth the reward alot of the time. Damage is bleh and has to be spaced or its unsafe. It's a great poke and our fastest button, but I only feel good about using it when my opponent is already at mid range. Never as a reaction button to stuff approaches.

D-tilt has become my go to button in most situations since I feel its his only non committing action aside from retreating bair.

For air traps I usually go for Dancing Blade juggle resets. Force an airdodge then DB and relaunch. Even doing that twice will basically refresh all your other moves and staling DB helps it combo better. In every situation where I want to forward smash I have been d-tilting or jabbing unless I know its a kill. Just a better practice to enforce good habits and overall safer play.

Locuan

D&D Obsessed
BRoomer
Ledge traps are harder now due to changes in ledge mechanics and frame data changes favor air/land trap situations for the initiator. Still I like ledge traps because a single mistake on my opponents part can seal the stock.
In terms of ledge manipulation I have been testing out non-sweet spotting the ledge with a low dolphin slash when my opponent is recovering. They will grab the ledge and really soon after that I will push them out since I will grab it. The follow-up aerial from that has been more or less straightforward assuming my opponent did not expect that.
For air traps I usually go for Dancing Blade juggle resets. Force an airdodge then DB and relaunch.
Could you go a bit more into detail with hypothetical examples against opponents? I'm having a bit of a hard time understanding the concept of air traps. It would help greatly if you go into a bit more detail.

EternalFlame

Smash Ace
NNID
Eterna1Flame
3DS FC
1993-8719-0815
In terms of ledge manipulation I have been testing out non-sweet spotting the ledge with a low dolphin slash when my opponent is recovering. They will grab the ledge and really soon after that I will push them out since I will grab it. The follow-up aerial from that has been more or less straightforward assuming my opponent did not expect that.

Could you go a bit more into detail with hypothetical examples against opponents? I'm having a bit of a hard time understanding the concept of air traps. It would help greatly if you go into a bit more detail.
in regards to the latter, I think I can help.

When (typically) down thrown into the air, if your opponent should air dodge immediately, they will fall vertically down. By baiting the dodge with an air attack, you can follow up with a DB and follow your opponent, as long as you remain vertical with your opponent as well. You could also just land then do the ground one at early percents (and heavier opponents), as your opponents will be helpless on the way down.

Then following along Emblem Lord's strategy, when you are completing the DB, you use the Up B version to launch them back up into the air again, then rinse and repeat the process of baiting the air dodge or simply reacting to your opponent's next choice. You restrict your opponent's options by forcing them into the air repeatedly, and you rely on outreaching them and keeping them as helpless as possible.

Hope that's what Emblem Lord meant by his statement and hopefully that helps clear some stuff up for ya Locuan xD

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
Basically that. Force an airdodge into the ground so they get that 22 frames of landing recovery, then you get a grab or Dancing Blade relaunch. Rinse, repeat. Transition to ledge traps after a few reps to seal the stock.

Locuan

D&D Obsessed
BRoomer
Thanks everyone. By the way, why are you unsatisfied with Jab 1? I have been using it as a reaction button to get opponents out of my face. And it has been working ok. From your earlier post, do you mean that there are better options than jab 1 or is it that using jab 1 can lead to a potential disadvantageous situation?

EnGarde

Smash Ace
3DS FC
4914-3671-9440
As far as I know, there aren't any shortcut techs to grab the ledge. You have to do it manually via SH FF or go for the second option I listed. Hope this helps
Hi! To follow up on this, someone from the ZSS skype group shared with me what the trick was, so I thought I'd share it with you as well. :)

In the first few frames of using up+b just barely off-stage, you'll auto-snap to the ledge. When done properly, the animation for up+b won't appear, and it'll look like to just walked off-stage and snapped to the ledge. I'm still practicing for consistency myself, but I've been able to recreate it.

Hope this helps!

EternalFlame

Smash Ace
NNID
Eterna1Flame
3DS FC
1993-8719-0815
Hi! To follow up on this, someone from the ZSS skype group shared with me what the trick was, so I thought I'd share it with you as well. :)

In the first few frames of using up+b just barely off-stage, you'll auto-snap to the ledge. When done properly, the animation for up+b won't appear, and it'll look like to just walked off-stage and snapped to the ledge. I'm still practicing for consistency myself, but I've been able to recreate it.

Hope this helps!
Ah so there was a trick to it xD Alrighty then, Imma give this a shot. Thanks for the info dude

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
So my friend and I tested alot of stuff last night and I stumbled onto a movement option as well as a better way to turn around grab. Or rather the TRUE way to turn around grab. Its the same as a B reversal. You run and grab THEN turn around. I..never realized it until our training session. Now I'm WAY more confident in my ability to maintain my ground control vs Sonic,CF and Fox. Also gives Marth a strong response to run in and shield as an approach. If you do it frame perfectly Marth won't move at all and you will get the extended grab range. Very nice for shutting down obvious ground approaches.

I also found a nice way to get F-smashes out of a full run. When you turn around in a run just a frame or two after the skid animation starts you smash in the direction Marth is turning. When done correctly you will see the turn animation for a split instant and Marth will cut loose with unleash Dragon Slayer. So it would look like this

:GCR::GCL:a split second wait then:GCCL:

Marth will f-smash to the left. Do the inverse if you want him to f-smash to the right. Nice little option to add for trap/platform situations.

I also tested what is safe and what isn't so I know what my safe offense looks like. He plays CF so if its safe vs CF it's basically safe vs everyone. Full jump Fairs and Bairs are gold. It puts you in the air, but Marth has options so it's ok. Very safe. Can't punish. They can guess, but its just a guess. D-tilt on block is money as we already know. So is jab which is nice. Tipper SHFF Nair is actualy solid on block. Since you are landing, Marth doesn't suffer from the extra hit lag, meanwhile his opponent takes the full push back, shieldstun and shield destruction of the tipper making it pretty darn safe on block. Don't ever whiff this though. Way too easy to punish on reaction with a fast runner.

For whiffing/walling purposes again d-tilt is solid and full hop fairs. That's pretty much it. Retreating SH Bairs is ok as well.

Tipper SH Bairs and Fairs were safe but only when perfectly spaced and I retreated them perfectly as well. I was able to Dolphin Slash right through his dash attack and dash grab attempts after he shield dropped. Sonic and Little Mac MIGHT be able to do something vs Fair but Bair felt good. Felt like I had more time to react.

Sooooooooooo hype about turn around grab though now that I can do it the way I want consistently.

Locuan

D&D Obsessed
BRoomer
So input wise the turn around grab is different than pivot grab. This brings up the question, do you get any additional benefits from the turn around grab? By that I mean, additional grab range, or more momentum carried over etc.?

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
It's has huge horizontal reach. Almost double that of a standing grab.

Regular grab reach is 7.7. Turn around is 13.7.

Last edited:

EternalFlame

Smash Ace
NNID
Eterna1Flame
3DS FC
1993-8719-0815
Think you can get a video up demonstraiting the turn around grab for us? I feel like I'm not sure what it looks like, so I'm unsure if I'm even doing it correctly or not. It may be cus I'm practicing on the 3DS version, but I can't seem to replicate throwing the grab before doing it like a reverse b (and I can do reverse b's just fine, even if running in the opposite direction).

For those F Smashes out of a run, I usually just let go of the circle pad and let it return to neutral and quickly enter the Smash attack command. Works about the same as if you were to do it with a c stick xD Though I thought turning FSmashes out of runs was a common knowledge by now o.o Or am I misunderstanding your explaination here?

Also, good finds on the safe options against fast characters. I'll have to give implementing them a try for sure (since I usually SH FAir assault all day long xD).

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
Its not new so much as i realized the proper way to perform it for optimal results.

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
I got down reverse fsmash out of a dash just yesterday actually, knew it pretty well but for whatever reason I was being inconsistent, until I realised that I just need to reset the stick to neutral quickly first then C-Stick.

Standing pivot/turn grab OoS is also good.

kj22

Smash Lord
NNID
openupyourworld
I got down reverse fsmash out of a dash just yesterday actually, knew it pretty well but for whatever reason I was being inconsistent, until I realised that I just need to reset the stick to neutral quickly first then C-Stick.

Standing pivot/turn grab OoS is also good.
OoS? As in shield drop or actually OoS?
So my friend and I tested alot of stuff last night and I stumbled onto a movement option as well as a better way to turn around grab. Or rather the TRUE way to turn around grab. Its the same as a B reversal. You run and grab THEN turn around. I..never realized it until our training session. Now I'm WAY more confident in my ability to maintain my ground control vs Sonic,CF and Fox. Also gives Marth a strong response to run in and shield as an approach. If you do it frame perfectly Marth won't move at all and you will get the extended grab range. Very nice for shutting down obvious ground approaches.
Any vids of this?

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
Nah, but honestly its not hard. Should take 5 minutes of practice do consistently.

LoreLes

Smash Apprentice
NNID
LoreLes

I also found a nice way to get F-smashes out of a full run. When you turn around in a run just a frame or two after the skid animation starts you smash in the direction Marth is turning. When done correctly you will see the turn animation for a split instant and Marth will cut loose with unleash Dragon Slayer. So it would look like this

:GCR::GCL:a split second wait then:GCCL:

Marth will f-smash to the left. Do the inverse if you want him to f-smash to the right. Nice little option to add for trap/platform situations.

I also tested what is safe and what isn't so I know what my safe offense looks like. He plays CF so if its safe vs CF it's basically safe vs everyone. Full jump Fairs and Bairs are gold. It puts you in the air, but Marth has options so it's ok. Very safe. Can't punish. They can guess, but its just a guess. D-tilt on block is money as we already know. So is jab which is nice. Tipper SHFF Nair is actualy solid on block. Since you are landing, Marth doesn't suffer from the extra hit lag, meanwhile his opponent takes the full push back, shieldstun and shield destruction of the tipper making it pretty darn safe on block. Don't ever whiff this though. Way too easy to punish on reaction with a fast runner.

For whiffing/walling purposes again d-tilt is solid and full hop fairs. That's pretty much it. Retreating SH Bairs is ok as well.

Tipper SH Bairs and Fairs were safe but only when perfectly spaced and I retreated them perfectly as well. I was able to Dolphin Slash right through his dash attack and dash grab attempts after he shield dropped. Sonic and Little Mac MIGHT be able to do something vs Fair but Bair felt good. Felt like I had more time to react.

Sooooooooooo hype about turn around grab though now that I can do it the way I want consistently.
I actually have been using this running fsmash tactic quite recently and I tested it at my tournament a few days ago. I was seeing some very great results against reads on rolls or people approaching from the air (tippers included, VERY included).

I was using this in my set against Shaya but it was mirrors so we were playing really defense against each other so I'm not sure if he noticed it lol.

Last edited:

NotAnAdmin

Smash Journeyman
Pocket Marth player, can you all help me out?
Does Marth have any grab follow-ups?
How safe is SH up-air as an approach? Should I use SH dair at all on stage?
How do you guys go about trying to land a sweet spot dair consistently?

EternalFlame

Smash Ace
NNID
Eterna1Flame
3DS FC
1993-8719-0815
Pocket Marth player, can you all help me out?
Does Marth have any grab follow-ups?
How safe is SH up-air as an approach? Should I use SH dair at all on stage?
How do you guys go about trying to land a sweet spot dair consistently?
To answer those as quickly as possible for ya:

Yes, we can help xD

DThrow links to UAir/BAir

SH UAirs are ok, but you're more safe going for SH FAirs/NAirs. But if you can consistently get the SH UAirs, they open up to a good number of followups too.

Aiming for the sweet spot is a bit difficult, and you'll just have to practice it to get better at it xD You want them directly below you to get the sweet spot.

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
Sh uair will get you mauled vs anyone that knows hows to block.

Do not do this. Do not SH Dair either. It is not ever worth it vs a competent player.

Top Bottom