• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Prop 8 overturned

Luigitoilet

shattering perfection
BRoomer
Just out of curiosity, what did this part:

Have to do with the rest of that post? And you don't have to go around bashing me or people that think similarly to me, you could have just given a reason to why you think that way instead of writing slander for the majority of your post.
Most of the thread has been giving you reasons. Stop acting as if you're the persecuted one here, when you're the one who hates a minority group.

Livvers

Used to have a porpoise
BRoomer
I have not read something this ******** in a very long time.

You know, the only thing I'm going to bother responding to was where someone said,"Derr if your parents were gay you wouldn't be here!"

This argument, along with all similar ones(if your mom got an abortion you wouldn't be here! If your parents used a condom you wouldn't be here!), is the most ludicrous and pointless argument ever. Yes, I wouldn't be here. And guess what? I wouldn't care because I wouldn't exist. From this standpoint, I am personally denying someone a life every time I ovulate and don't choose to have a child. By not getting preggers at this point in my life, someone who could exist won't exist due to my choices. Oh man the horror!

UberMario

Smash Master
There is a difference between a living person "ceasing" to exist (abortion, hypothetical removal from the world, etc.) and "someone" not existing as a living person in the first place (i.e. when a person decides not to have children and does not become pregnant).

ICHIGOBLEACH

Smash Apprentice
uber mario is the sign in your avatar meant for people working fast to help gay rights?

UberMario

Smash Master
uber mario is the sign in your avatar meant for people working fast to help gay rights?
lol no. I had this as a profile pic for a while, then switched it to my avatar about a week-or-two ago. (Most of the avatars I use are supposed to be funny) I'm probably going to change it again this week anyway.

#HBC | Acrostic

♖♘♗♔♕♗♘♖
UberMario if you're planning to still contribute to this conversation, then I am interested in the articles that you posted a couple of pages back that denied the existence of a "gay gene." I am not interested in the url links, but how you feel that they systematically prove that such a gene does not exist. Also I am interested in your response to ZolgaOwns criticism of biased sources used in the articles you chose to present.

UberMario

Smash Master
UberMario if you're planning to still contribute to this conversation, then I am interested in the articles that you posted a couple of pages back that denied the existence of a "gay gene." I am not interested in the url links, but how you feel that they systematically prove that such a gene does not exist. Also I am interested in your response to ZolgaOwns criticism of biased sources used in the articles you chose to present.
A few things, those links [which were previously posted by someone else] in the post I wrote were being argued against by myself, not argued for them, and also, I didn't say they DON'T exist for certain, but what I was saying was that I do not believe it's entirely genetic or even 50% genetic. I feel it's more about how a child is raised than how a person's DNA is set up.

[If I did indeed say that there is absolutely no chance of it being related to genes, please quote it and I will not deny it, but if I did write it, I meant that I do not feel that gay genes are the dominant factor. (i.e. not even a third of it IF they do exist)]

From the first article, if you noticed, they genetically-engineered the flies to use a gene of the opposite sex, they weren't bred to do so.

In the second article it says that when one male sibling is gay:

There's roughly a 50% chance that an identical twin is gay.
There's roughly a 22% chance that a fraternal twin is gay.
There's roughly a 11% chance that unrelated siblings are gay.

Also, each group was only examined using LESS than 60 people in the interview per group, meaning only 30 families and thus a high chance for variability, you only get decent consistency in people-related subjects if there are at least 100 examples or preferably over a 1000. Using these percentages and the amount of families interviewed:

(keep in mind that ALL of the pairs of brothers interviewed [purposely because that was the point of the subject] had AT LEAST one gay member, none of the groups are totally straight)

30 of the 56 identical twins were both gay. (a mere 28 pairs interviewed)
12 of the 54 unidentical twins were both gay. (just 27)
6 of the 57 unrelated brothers were both gay. (Wait a minute, how did they end up with an odd number if they were talking about pairs? >_>)

6 vs 30 might look like a huge difference, but do these percentages apply when the number of examples is increased tenfold? The numbers they used were too low for consistency to be the only significant factor, as randomness was also pretty significant.

There is also one virtually overlooked function here (though it is hinted at):

Family Matters: If someone has a gay sibling of a virtually identical age, the likelihood of that person having similar, "peer pressuresque" feelings might make them strive to be gay aswell. Though many twins try to be different (either slightly or entirely), there are just as many that love being near identical, even if that means changing their standpoints. Unrelated brothers or ones that are of different ages are more likely to make independent decisions.

Also, notice some of the following:

"The study examined 56 identical twins, 54 fraternal twins and 57 adoptive brothers recruited through advertisements in gay-interest publications. "

That means that the people had to apply to be interviewed (because obviously the people aren't going to barge right in), what if one brother is ashamed of the other's sexual orientation? They probably won't sign up, meaning more twins that are both equally gay are likely to tip the percentages since they won't have that feeling.

"Dr. Bailey estimated that the degree of the genetic contribution to homosexuality could range from 30 percent to more than 70 percent"

Notice it's not 100%, in fact the numbers are so varied that at a 40% margin of error in their OWN views of their experiments (even higher since it's pretty much unsolved and thus can be anywhere from 0% to 100% for that matter) is nowhere near conclusive for anything.

"This is something that really sort of clinches it."

This kind of sounds unsure, like even he doesn't believe his own words.

Jim Morrison

Smash Authority
There's roughly a 11% chance that unrelated siblings are gay.

wtf does this even mean

EDIT: oh

Notice it's not 100%, in fact the numbers are so varied that at a 40% margin of error in their OWN views of their experiments (even higher since it's pretty much unsolved and thus can be anywhere from 0% to 100% for that matter) is nowhere near conclusive for anything.

So basically, it means nothing.

Xsyven

And how!
BRoomer
I think gay people are gross, so I don't think they should get married. I don't care if that makes people unhappy, I don't want to see gay people happy. They're so weird.

Every gay guy I've met tries to hit on me, and it's so gross. As soon as they legalize gay marriage, polygamy and incest will be next. And everyone will think it's okay. They'll just say "They did the same thing with gay marriage, and interracial marriage!" This isn't a good point. Gay marriage and interracial marriage are wrong.

Teran

Through Fire, Justice is Served
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
Xsy does make a semi valid point actually.

Although only smi obviously because I wouldn't hit on him, he has facial hair.

Wiscus

(◕ω◕✿)
3DS FC
3840-5663-0679
As soon as they legalize gay marriage, polygamy and incest will be next.
Whats wrong with incest man, thats hot.

Incest is best, put your sister to the test: if you can't keep it in your pants, keep it in the family.

Livvers

Used to have a porpoise
BRoomer
There is a difference between a living person "ceasing" to exist (abortion, hypothetical removal from the world, etc.) and "someone" not existing as a living person in the first place (i.e. when a person decides not to have children and does not become pregnant).
And what about the original argument I believe you made? The one about "If your mom was gay, you wouldn't exist"? Other than being pointless because clearly that person's mom wasn't gay and thus is a moot point, if she was, then he would never care because he wouldn't exist.

I like that you grabbed the most easily arguable point from the group, and not the one point you originally made. Regardless, a person still wouldn't care because at that stage in development, becuase your thought processes are not that evolved.

Apologies if you didn't make the argument, but I'm not going through this thread again and I'm pretty certain you made it.

I find it hard to argue gay rights with someone who thinks it's icky to stick it in the pooper, and thus it shouldn't be allowed. Same feelings for oral and masturbation. There are a lot of fetishes I am totally not into(not calling being gay a fetish here, btw), but am totally fine with people practicing. And am fine with those people who practice them getting married. But I suppose that's because I accept people for their differences and have maturity toward sexuality that you lack and refuse to improve upon.

Your whole argument honestly gives off the vibe of very little real-world experience, and it is hard to debate with someone like that.

I applaud moving forward with same sex marriage and people being more accepting of the "lifestyle". Homosexuality has existed for millennia and in many cultures was encouraged. I'm glad marriage has evolved. It means I can actually marry someone I love and not be sold off.

Pluvia

Hates Semicolons<br>;
I think he thinks that being gay means you have sex with the same sex, when it actually means you're sexually attracted to the same sex.

Nik21

Smash Cadet
i kind of find it ironic that prop 8 got overturned like just a few days after Elton John *****ed at Arizona boycotters because "he doesn't have any rights in California as a gay man whatsoever," yet he still goes to there anyway.
Anyway, its great that it got overturned and hopefully other states will follow California's way

Teran

Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
Yeah but even thinking of it in that way and sharing hsi views is a bit silly.

Lolninja'd

Ballistics

Smash Champion
I think gay people are gross, so I don't think they should get married. I don't care if that makes people unhappy, I don't want to see gay people happy. They're so weird.

Every gay guy I've met tries to hit on me, and it's so gross. As soon as they legalize gay marriage, polygamy and incest will be next. And everyone will think it's okay. They'll just say "They did the same thing with gay marriage, and interracial marriage!" This isn't a good point. Gay marriage and interracial marriage are wrong.
You are ignorant. You do not deserve to breathe the same air as other carbon life forms do. I hope you die young and as unhappy as you wish other humans to be.

Pluvia

Hates Semicolons<br>;
You are ignorant. You do not deserve to breathe the same air as other carbon life forms do. I hope you die young and as unhappy as you wish other humans to be.
We should have a "No gay people are allowed to make ironic comments" rule here because it's unfair on the people that don't know which members are gay.

GoldShadow

Marsilea quadrifolia
BRoomer
We should have a "No gay people are allowed to make ironic comments" rule here because it's unfair on the people that don't know which members are gay.
I believe we should put a little rainbow next to the username of all gay members of this site. This will be beneficial in that everybody will be able to tell if a member who made a certain post is gay or not.

We should also give them numbers to help keep track of them. You know, for, uh, organizational purposes. Yeah.

That is not even cool to joke about
He was parodying the typical homophobic response.

Pluvia

Hates Semicolons<br>;
I believe we should put a little rainbow next to the username of all gay members of this site. This will be beneficial in that everybody will be able to tell if a member who made a certain post is gay or not.

We should also give them numbers to help keep track of them. You know, for, uh, organizational purposes. Yeah.
Per fect.

Fletch

Smash Master
Are people that are against that honestly just that uncomfortable around gay people? Serious question, I'm really curious if it has to do something with that or more with religion.

Quick sidenote that Xsyven's post reminded me about... I was finally hit on by a gay guy out at a bar for the first time, and it's actually really flattering. Now I know what girls feel like when I pester them. On one hand its flattering that someone is attracted to you, but its super weird that he's almost just trying to get in your pants haha. But if anyone is seriously disturbed by a gay person hitting on them, its not like you have to do anything or even entertain the thought, seriously just grow up and ignore it.

DTP

L o s t - in reality~

lmao
Whats wrong with incest man, thats hot.

Incest is best, put your sister to the test: if you can't keep it in your pants, keep it in the family.
omg xD

hahahaha I'd be down for this.

Gays should be numbered and tagged! :mad:

D

Deleted member

Removed by Moderator

Last edited by a moderator:

Livvers

Used to have a porpoise
BRoomer

I think we should make sure they contribute to society and set them up in work camps. Keep 'em busy and beneficial, you know?

Teran

Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
And if those lazy homos decide they can't work no more, we burn them as fuel.

We can siphon off their fats to make soap. In fact human fat makes very high quality soap.

But it might have gay germs in it. D:

Also for people that believe bigots should die, you're just as stupid as they are.

#HBC | Acrostic

♖♘♗♔♕♗♘♖
ITT: We pretend to be ignorant stereotypes of the people we fundamentally don't agree with on the issue of homosexual marriage because they aren't open minded enough to consider same-sex marriage and we're too close-minded to take them seriously at this point in the discussion.

Teran

Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
I'll have you know that I enjoy a bit of roleplay every now and then.

Moddin' aint easy stop trying to kill my meagre bit of fun.

#HBC | Acrostic

♖♘♗♔♕♗♘♖
I apologize. I couldn't help myself after reading so many hypocritical posts from both sides of this discussion. It is quite disheartening. I expected more talk on legalities and possibly judicial precedence if this gets challenged in the Supreme Court. Perhaps I was setting my hopes too high. Oh well.

Pluvia

Hates Semicolons<br>;
I think everyone's doing it to highlight it ridiculousness of the people who oppose it by showing how nonsensical some of their views are.

Teran

Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
The thing is though, I wouldn't care if gay marriage were banned anyway, since ultimately, I don't need a document telling me I'm in a binding monogamous relationship.

But inb4 people say that's not the point and it's the fact that gays were prohibited from doing it and that shows inequality yaddayadda.

#HBC | Acrostic

♖♘♗♔♕♗♘♖
I think everyone's doing it to highlight it ridiculousness of the people who oppose it by showing how nonsensical some of their views are.
While intentionally ignoring opinions that aren't slandered or extremely prejudiced in this thread and systematically aiming for stupid comments in order to collectively denigrate and mock as a group. Don't worry, I know how the internet works.

Top Bottom