• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Proper Usage of Down-Smash?

Shibby

Smash Journeyman
University of Minnesota (Green Bay Wisconsin in Su
Other than PK-Freeze this is probably my least used move and it is ashame! It is almost that Lucas has so many useful moves, I forget to use this one. Can someone give me a list of when to use the Down-Smash so I can start incorporating it more into my game?

Ex. Use it when your opponent rolls to you, whether it puts them in front or behind you.

Thanks!

Shibby :)

NESSBOUNDER

Smash Master
Well it's a better KO move than his Fsmash very slightly. Since you won't be using it much, it will often be stronger than your Fsmash due to lack of DR.

Other than that, I use it quite a lot. It's great against rollers and out of shields, and against bigger opponents you can sometimes actually get more than a single hit in at the start of a stock.

Earthbound360

Smash Hero
NNID
Mikman360
For people that you can predict, it is very good because of the duration.

They cannot spotdodge it.
If they roll around you, use one in the opposite direction and it will hit them.
It can be used for edgeguarding as it has awesome vertical range past the edge.If they have a predictable approach, this can stop them.

SOmetimes, i just like to throw it out there. Its amazing how often people just run into it underestimating the duration. It feels a bit safer than the fsmash in some situations for some strange reason. Idk, I just really like his dsmash.

Yes, at first, it feels like it's just a replacement fsmash, but use it over time and just throw it out there and it's uses feel like they come naturally.

Levitas

the moon
Places like brinstar are funny to use it on because almost always the Dsmash is hitting destructable terrain, making it last like 4 times as long as normal.

Use the dsmash anytime someone's gonna roll at you, be it from the edge, from a tech, whatever. Dsmash can also be good if you're standing right on the edge facing outwards edgeguarding, although a lot of characters will sweetspot the edge through it.

Opponents that don't know to get off the edge right away get wrecked by a simple dsmash used at the edge almost immediately after they grab the edge. The last hit hits right after their invincibility wears off, but all they have to do is get off the edge right after they grab it.

Tyr_03

Smash Champion
Down smash is incredibly useful as a kill move because it sends opponents at such low trajectories. This will kill people at surprisingly low percentages. It's easiest to hit roll spammers with this because it has such a huge range. It hits a good range behind Lucas which can really catch people off guard.

Notice that there are three sparks each getting bigger than the last. They also get progressively weaker. If you space it just right you can sometime hit with the third spark when people aren't expecting it.

PKboy89

Smash Journeyman
down smash has to be one of Lucas' best move. The disjointed hitbox on it is simply amazing. Not only that, if you are on a platform, and someone tries approaching you from the bottom or side, you are a brick wall. Your downsmash will always hit them unless they approach from above. Obviously your opponent will catch on but when I need a breather, jumping on a platform will keep your opponent in fear. Also, if your opponent is guy that never stays still, they usually walk straight into a down smash...

The downsmash has to be one of the best defensive moves in the game. The last shock actually hits behind you as well. I use it all the time, it disappoints me how many Lucas players don't use effectively.

x9whitey9x

Smash Journeyman
In one on one, the basics have been mentioned.
In FFAs, vs friends or whatnot, using it in a crowd is a blast, because it slows down when you hit someone between hits.

Earthbound360

Smash Hero
NNID
Mikman360
Yesh
But the fact that it only hits on one side makes it a bit tricky to use. It's not in any way bad, just different than some of the other "elite" dsmashes out there (Wolf, MK)

BacklashMarth

Smash Lord
If someone likes to dodge, keep using it. This works really well since the lag is compensated for by the range behind you. It usually looks like this, enemy approaches, lucas down smashes, opponent dodges, they try to attack lucas, lucas dodges and down smashes again, lather, rinse, repeat. Of course, the cycle ends when the enemy runs into the attack. Also, throw it out there whenever you feel like it. It hits pretty often since its easy to run into.

PKboy89

Smash Journeyman
Yesh
But the fact that it only hits on one side makes it a bit tricky to use. It's not in any way bad, just different than some of the other "elite" dsmashes out there (Wolf, MK)

Its not like Wolf or Metaknight's, but the last blast actually hits behind you...its not as strong as the first two blasts, but I have caught many people off guard when they roll behind me and get hit with the final blast

Top Bottom