• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Proposal: Metagame Counters System

Radical Larry

Smash Lord
NNID
Crimson-Vulcan
3DS FC
1822-3761-9326
Okay, now since we have such a diverse cast of characters, I think we can conclude that we should all have a diverse Metagame Counter system involved. Instead of the generic one, which has Equal, Soft and Heavy Counter, here's my proposal, and take a look:

Equal - Neither character can counter each other; a ratio of 50 : 50
Soft Counter - One character has a small lead over another; a ratio of 51 : 49 to 60 : 40
Medium Counter - One character has a bigger lead over another; a ratio of 61 : 39 to 70 : 30
Hard Counter - One character has an even bigger lead over another; a ratio of 71 : 29 to 80 : 20
Heavy Counter - One character will have a trump over another; a ratio of 81 : 19 to 90 : 10
Intense Counter - One character will make it nearly impossible for the other to win under normal circumstances; a ratio of 91 : 9 to 100 : 0

What do you think? Are these counters fair and accurate judgements for the immense cast of characters? And would this work well for the metagame? Let your voice be heard below.

Pluid

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Pluiid
3DS FC
1435-4675-5379
I think this is a great idea for the future of the metagame, but it'd probably be best to break it down into just Equal, Soft and Hard counters for now until we get a feel for HOW soft and HOW heavy the counters are. You feel me?

JC Ralls

Smash Cadet
Rosalina seems to hard counter most characters who rely on projectiles to approach, namely Diddy Kong, Robin and Ness (IMO).

Last edited:

13ruce1337

Smash Rookie
It's too early to tell. We should definitely stick to just Soft, Equal, and Hard. No reason to do to this game what they did to the Pokemon type chart. The thing just gets bigger and scarier.

Regardless, the game hasn't been out long enough for the meta to break in. People are still finding out how to save frames and cancel animations.

Hitzel

Smash Ace
I don't think a 6-4 matchup is considered a soft counter.

I'd like to see Smash matchup charts made. For whatever reason, Smash players seem to like tier lists but not matchup charts =/

Remzi

formerly VaBengal
NNID
Remziz4
3DS FC
0302-1081-8167
I don't think a 6-4 matchup is considered a soft counter.

I'd like to see Smash matchup charts made. For whatever reason, Smash players seem to like tier lists but not matchup charts =/
We always have matchup charts too. It's just easier to throw out a slapdick tier list then it is to flesh out a full chart of matchups, so we haven't seen any for Sm4sh yet.

Last edited:

KenMeister

Smash Lord
NNID
KenMeister
3DS FC
3609-1224-8364
Indeed, I always feel matchup charts take more priority than tiers anyway. The Melee one is a freaking mess, since the matchup chart for that one is 3 years older than the tier list we currently have now, making a lot of tier positions look very misleading (Pikachu and Yoshi being good examples). To be fair though, I don't think a matchup can get any worse than 70:30 in this game, due to the smaller tier gaps, and the fact that chaingrabbing/infinites are pretty much gone.

MagmarFire

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MagmarFire
3DS FC
3737-9549-8452
I'm very cool with this, although it will be a long while before enough data is obtained. It should be something to shoot for, though, for sure.

Rhubarbo

Smash Champion
I think we should rewrite the match-up chart to display how well a character approaches and spaces another. This would consider two facets of any given matchup, instead of just averaging out pros and cons.

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
We have a rating system we use for match ups in Smash rated from 0 to +-4.

They do tend to cover all the categories you mentioned and envelop those meanings, while not necessarily aligning with literal numbers like 90:10 or 100:0.

Top Bottom