• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Proposed Ruleset for Smash 4 Tournaments

CanISmash

Smash Lord
Elmont LI, Queens. Philadelphia during semesters.
walk off stages are dumb.... lol why are they dumb again? cause they're different.
camera killing you is dumb? it's a moving stage boundary. all you jerks want to do is play the exact same damn stage over and over.
Oh but they're different? how? one is small, one is medium, one is large. oh and one doesn't have a platform, one has one platform, one has two platforms, one has three platforms.

there's so much that can be had if people didn't cry everytime something was a bit different. Look at wobbling. evo forced it onto everyone and now it has become accepted more or less, and the ******** has subsided

LiteralGrill

Smokin' Hot~
he has a past where he had to play vs. peach players on mute city. if you understand what that means, you understand why he knows a good stage from a bad one. this isn't some dude talking out of his ***, this is a dude from an era when melee's yoshi's island stage was not only viable, but often used.

saying "well the proof's on HIM and if he doesn't say otherwise he's WRONG and BAD" isn't exactly helping your case. the lack of evidence doesn't prove the opposite

According to the OP, Norfair would be banned. According to actual data, there doesn't seem to be a reason to ban it.

So, if he says that kind of stage needs to be banned, he HAS to have a counter. This game starts with every set to "On". Want to turn them off and say they shouldn't be played on? Burden of proof is on YOU. Now, even the other way around, OS just showed that the criteria is wrong in the OP. Sure, "gut feeling" is something worth looking at, so that's what you do. You test it and see if you were right or wrong. If HugS had said "Norfair looks like a bad stage from my experience" I would go and immediately test the stage, I respect experience. But when it was proven it's not an issue, that needs to be added into that experience.

X Japan

Smash Lord
Not for nothing HugS your a great player and all, but this whole thread is ****ing dumb and for everyone to ride this train need to think for yourself. the game hasn't come out yet and you already talking about stage banning. Reading most of this thread i see some ppl share this idea of just play the game then see what to do. those are real players in my opinion. i know most of this is mainly from Brawl stages, but this won't be Brawl. so everyone need to cowboy the f**** up and play the game for 5 months and see whats up. HugS this was a **** move on your part.

Overswarm

is laughing at you
Now, I read the whole thing, but a TL:DR version with what the data shows in the end might help.

If I got this right, FD is more polar then Norfair, yet we banned Norfair for polarization correct?

We ended up getting Jungle Japes banned for "undue amounts of timeouts" when PS1 has the highest frequency of timeouts of any of the stages.

People just make up reasons and don't look for data to support them, then when data contradicts them their conclusion is "obviously something is wrong with the data".

he has a past where he had to play vs. peach players on mute city. if you understand what that means, you understand why he knows a good stage from a bad one. this isn't some dude talking out of his ***, this is a dude from an era when melee's yoshi's island stage was not only viable, but often used.

saying "well the proof's on HIM and if he doesn't say otherwise he's WRONG and BAD" isn't exactly helping your case. the lack of evidence doesn't prove the opposite
Wait, we think Hugs is good now? When did this happen? :B

But seriously, the guy mains Samus. Peach has done so poorly in tournaments overall in the history of Melee that everyone's minds were BLOWN when Armada started doing well. Mute City was a fine stage, noobs couldn't deal.

You want to just bow down to whoever you think is good, that's your prerogative. I was told during Melee that my ideas on stages were crazy and that we should all play on FD and Battlefield only (I'm not joking); I wouldn't know any better because I "wasn't good", I was just a top 32 type guy. At FC: Diamond I got like 33rd teaming with AZ in doubles and something like 81st in Singles I think (I remember tying with Sethlon and Gimpyfish, haha). Nothing too impressive. Above average but not exactly uber.

Then I got good at Brawl. I practiced and won over and over and over again. It doesn't matter. People only care about what you have to say if you're agreeing with them.

Mormon Mammoth

Smash Cadet
Provo, Utah, but I still love Austin, Texas
Well, if they were proven to b e a serious problem which you seem to say is obvious it would happen, it wouldn't be a problem would it?
A couple friends and I actually tested the significant difference of the win ratio with and without items on and found there to be a significant difference between the two settings. My data didn't prove a significant problem per say, but it did prove them to be significantly different.

Overswarm

is laughing at you
A couple friends and I actually tested the significant difference of the win ratio with and without items on and found there to be a significant difference between the two settings. My data didn't prove a significant problem per say, but it did prove them to be significantly different.

We found that it didn't effect them over time if you used a limited item set (Jack's), but we noticed several issues with items spawning and being grabbed out of the air unintentionally due to the way Brawl's item grab works. Frustration would come up when it was a high % poking game and someone gets an item, but actual win rates didnt' change much.

That said, FFAs with all stages on random and all items on using Keist's point formula resulted in consistent victory too.

trash?

witty/pretty
Premium
NNID
????
People just make up reasons and don't look for data to support them, then when data contradicts them their conclusion is "obviously something is wrong with the data".
didn't your grand data sincerely try to tell people that bowser is s-tier in project m?

your way of getting data is awful, stop blaming everyone around you for that

HugS™

Smash Lord
Lol I understand the ridiculous nature of this post, considering the game isn't out yet. But I think it's necessary to throw out the argument against pointless experimentation. And I did it in a way that'd get people talking.

For the record, I'm not against an expanded stagelist, but I am against wasting time experimenting on stages like Japes, Peach's Castle, etc. You can see the new stages and know pretty quickly that they're not fit for competitive play for reasons that have been mentioned several times on this thread already.

I freely admit I don't have the data that Overswarm has. One question though, I briefly read over the argument regarding Norfair as a better equalizer of stock differences than Smashville. In my experience, I recall counterpick stages being used as a way to equalize skill differentials between superior and inferior players. So, the decrease in 3 or 2 stock victories may be more indicative of the stage mitigating one player's superior skill over another's. Knowing that's how counter stages are often used, in my experience, I've come to believe there's something wrong with someone trading ability for stage knowledge, and being rewarded for that decision.

All I have is experience though. I don't have a whole lot of hard data. And experience is not something that's very easy to sell to those who don't have it. Am I to list each and every experience? I'll throw one out every now and then that applies. I'll share one now:

I had a rule at "Nice Shot Hugo", where you could only counter pick a neutral if you were up against a mid-tier character. As far as Melee goes, many of the counterpick stages allowed at the time would be used strictly to hard counter lower tiered characters. If I complained about the improbability of winning as a mid-tier on these stages, I'd be told to pick a new character. It was a funny suggestion. This came at a time when character diversity wasn't viewed as a healthy, necessary thing. I declined their advice. I once even had a strategy where I'd forfeit my opponent's counter pick and move on to mine, to avoid frustration and the loss of momentum on a stage that heavily favored higher tiered characters. The top 4 at this tournament ended up being Falcon, Fox, Pikachu, and Samus.

Now the Melee stagelist reflects the same stagelist that was at my tournament. I'd have to dig into results to get the bigger picture, but at EVO, the top 8 consisted of Doc, Peach, Fox, Falco, Sheik, Jiggs, Marth, and Ice Climbers. That's damn good diversity at the largest stage of all time. Rainbow Cruise, Pokefloats, and Kongo Jungle would have mucked that all up, as these stages have in the past.

Since this will be a new game, we'll have to assess the strengths of the characters, and figure out how those apply to certain stages. However, we can easily take a hatchet to about 60-70% of the available stages without missing anything. As I've said before, we have 2 metagames of empirical data to go off of. My concern is that we'll ignore that for the sake of experimentation on the things we should already know, similar to how we experimented with items at the beginning of Brawl even though it was as obvious as ever that they had no business existing in competitive tournaments.

trash?

witty/pretty
Premium
NNID
????
I'm probably coming off as grumpy as hell in some of my posts tbh

sorry bout that, it's just that

1) we've had several different metagame developments spanning across three different games, it's not very difficult to tell the difference between a kind of weird stage that has enough stuff to work (I'm thinking of s/t like, say, PS1, delfino minus walk-offs, maybe lylat cruise though some people would argue that) and something like kongo jungle, where if a ganon plays against a campy peach he's basically doomed
2) I want a properly solidified metagame, instead of one where we spend the first few years catering to a small minority of people who really, REALLY wants to have hyrule castle 64 in the stage list, before giving up and getting a proper stage list
3) since I went out of my way to insult anyway: overswarm from what I've seen, your data has always been incredibly dubious at best. there's so many outside influences on the results that you rarely mention (taking the bowser example, nearly all of your data came from the first few months 2.5 came out and nobody knew how to play vs a good bowser player), and to me, inaccurate data like that is about as useless as no data at all.

ok carry on

Senortesta

Smash Apprentice
The no items and a determined time limit and stock limit after about maybe a month is reasonable. Stage banning will be more difficult though. For example Halberd has stuff that can kill you and while the stage is taking off the camera can kill you. Regardless of these things it is still a legal counterpick at a lot of tournaments. Castle Seige has a walkoff edge during one of the transformations yet its probably my favorite counterpick in brawl (and still legal in most tournaments).
On the flip side though, stages like flat zone where the walk off boundary is very close and a medium hit from 40% can kill is ridiculous and greatly favors more powerful hitters. Also stages like onnet where you can tech off the walls does make the game a little ridiculous.
Stages like hyrule temple and new pork city that are huge, should be banned right away. Stages that are moving I think should also be banned because it encourages camping near the end of the camera and getting grabs. Stages like yoshis island 64 in melee where the blast zone is sooo far away, should be banned, stages like yoshis island with the techable sides and blocks are unfair.
Other than that, most other stages should be tested for a few months to see if they are ok.

Senortesta

Smash Apprentice
The no items and a determined time limit and stock limit after about maybe a month is reasonable. Stage banning will be more difficult though. For example Halberd has stuff that can kill you and while the stage is taking off the camera can kill you. Regardless of these things it is still a legal counterpick at a lot of tournaments. Castle Seige has a walkoff edge during one of the transformations yet its probably my favorite counterpick in brawl (and still legal in most tournaments).
On the flip side though, stages like flat zone where the walk off boundary is very close and a medium hit from 40% can kill is ridiculous and greatly favors more powerful hitters. Also stages like onnet where you can tech off the walls does make the game a little ridiculous.
Stages like hyrule temple and new pork city that are huge, should be banned right away. Stages that are moving I think should also be banned because it encourages camping near the end of the camera and getting grabs. Stages like yoshis island 64 in melee where the blast zone is sooo far away, should be banned, stages like yoshis island with the techable sides and blocks are unfair.
Other than that, most other stages should be tested for a few months to see if they are ok.

trash?

witty/pretty
Premium
NNID
????
items couuuuld be maybe argued, but that's only because we don't fully know what items are out yet

as it stands it'll probably be out, because the most "competitive friendly" items are all just "well ok, what if we just took peach's downb and gave it to everyone", and while it wouldn't really do much of a dent in the metagame, it's not meaningful enough to consider it.

I want something like PSAS items. those were the one smartly-designed part of that game, you had to actively commit to using the items given to you if you used them

LiteralGrill

Smokin' Hot~
items couuuuld be maybe argued, but that's only because we don't fully know what items are out yet

as it stands it'll probably be out, because the most "competitive friendly" items are all just "well ok, what if we just took peach's downb and gave it to everyone", and while it wouldn't really do much of a dent in the metagame, it's not meaningful enough to consider it.

I want something like PSAS items. those were the one smartly-designed part of that game, you had to actively commit to using the items given to you if you used them

Hard to find ways to praise PSASBR but there is one. I want to make sure people get that I don't advocate for items myself, but letting people test it out and having something like ISP shouldn't be as frowned upon by people as it is sometimes, that's my beef.

Lots o' stuff.
Melee stages vs Brawl stages and how the game plays are seriously different when we look at game balance though HugS, it DID work well in Melee, but look what it did to Brawl. I do agree, some stages are going to be INSTANT ban, but even those once things are settled down should have a guide written up on them to really look into the stage.

(Example: Some people seriously held major support for Rumble Falls, when they looked into the stage themselves however, they found that it wasn't the reasons that others had told them that gave it good ban criteria, it was overcentralization at the chokepoint. Look at that, the players advocating themselves found an even better reason to ban something then they already had, something no one could dispute. Pretty cool to me.)

But why not try to attempt compromise? Let's say there is a stage like Picto Chat, one side wants it and the other hates it, but even supporters at time understand why people have issues. Why not say "okay, we'll ban Picto Chat, but could we keep a lesser offender like Jungle Japes?' and agree to something that way?

(Not saying that's a perfect example, but the idea itself isn't bad.)

Overswarm

is laughing at you
didn't your grand data sincerely try to tell people that bowser is s-tier in project m?

Uh... no. My data for Project M showed who was winning. It didn't matter what you thought, Bowser was the most successful. Period. As in it wasn't an argument, it's what happened. Whether he was actually S tier or not was up to discussion. It wasn't a tier list, it was a success tier list.

Lol I understand the ridiculous nature of this post, considering the game isn't out yet. But I think it's necessary to throw out the argument against pointless experimentation. And I did it in a way that'd get people talking.

For the record, I'm not against an expanded stagelist, but I am against wasting time experimenting on stages like Japes, Peach's Castle, etc. You can see the new stages and know pretty quickly that they're not fit for competitive play for reasons that have been mentioned several times on this thread already.
I completely and fully support throwing out posts in a way that gets people talking, even if the post itself is dumb. It's hard to get people to talk about anything.

You can learn pretty quickly what stages that NEED to be banned can be banned, but a lot of people bring stages that really don't have that problem into it. Like, ya know, Japes. Peach's Castle needed to be banned because it had a pseudo-circle camping thing going on. I remember because I got to sit down with Iggy and show him at FC. Characters like Fox could run away from characters like Marth, hop over the side, and repeat ad infinitum. Corneria needed to be banned because you could run away and laser camp with Fox and Falco and then, when at a high %, camp the fin area and wall jump tech to get a free "get out of jail free card" that started the cycle over again. On top of all of this, Young Link could crouch on the guns when he had the lead and block any of the guns shots. Most characters couldn't reliably make it down there to attack him and, if they could, couldn't reliably make it back.

I get banning stages like Hyrule Temple quickly. I don't get banning stages like Jungle Japes at all, and you've put it in your list.

I freely admit I don't have the data that Overswarm has. One question though, I briefly read over the argument regarding Norfair as a better equalizer of stock differences than Smashville. In my experience, I recall counterpick stages being used as a way to equalize skill differentials between superior and inferior players. So, the decrease in 3 or 2 stock victories may be more indicative of the stage mitigating one player's superior skill over another's. Knowing that's how counter stages are often used, in my experience, I've come to believe there's something wrong with someone trading ability for stage knowledge, and being rewarded for that decision.
This comes from an ignorant perspective. ALL stages are counterpick stages, depending on the character. I don't have all my data in front of me anymore (I don't have access to my back room thread and I don't know what imgur account I uploaded images to, and I don't have the excel files anymore), but I can tell you that your "guess" is incorrect.

We saw consistent data from what people considered counterpicks. If a character did better on the stage he not only had more wins, he won with more stocks. There's no such thing as a counter-pick that grants you 1 stock high % victories.

If what you were saying was true we'd have found that ALL starter stages had more 3 stocks and 2 stocks and all CPs had closer to 1 stock... except not only does this make no sense, but we found the opposite. The data didn't support it.

Diddy did better on FD when he got it. Wario did better on Norfair.

It's not rocket science. There's no room for "well I'd guess that...". It's numbers. Cold, hard numbers.

You think Jungle Japes should be banned? I can respect that you think it needs looking into.

But here's the question you have to ask:

If your theory on Jungle Japes is correct, what data could you collect to confirm it?

Because people said that Jungle Japes biggest problem was that it "forced timeouts", but those same people weren't willing to ban PS1 despite Japes having virtually no timeouts and PS1 having several.

Solution? Don't ban Jungle Japes because it forced timeouts because, well, it didn't.

That's how it should work. You think Japes is too strong a counterpick for character X? Let's observe character X, crunch the data, and see how well he does on OTHER stages and then how well he does on THAT stage. If we see a discrepancy in the data that indicates he's doing MUCH better on that stage we can consider it a "strong counterpick".

Too strong? Well let's compare it to other people's CPs! Looking at the data, if you want to ban Rainbow Cruise because it's "too strong" for MK then you would need to ban Smashville, Battlefield, Halberd, and Delfino. Those too sacred? You still need to ban FD due to Ice Climbers and their obscene win % on the stage.

That's how data works. People make assumptions, smarter people look into it, show the data, and then we move on.

All I have is experience though. I don't have a whole lot of hard data. And experience is not something that's very easy to sell to those who don't have it. Am I to list each and every experience? I'll throw one out every now and then that applies. I'll share one now:

I had a rule at "Nice Shot Hugo", where you could only counter pick a neutral if you were up against a mid-tier character. As far as Melee goes, many of the counterpick stages allowed at the time would be used strictly to hard counter lower tiered characters. If I complained about the improbability of winning as a mid-tier on these stages, I'd be told to pick a new character. It was a funny suggestion. This came at a time when character diversity wasn't viewed as a healthy, necessary thing. I declined their advice. I once even had a strategy where I'd forfeit my opponent's counter pick and move on to mine, to avoid frustration and the loss of momentum on a stage that heavily favored higher tiered characters. The top 4 at this tournament ended up being Falcon, Fox, Pikachu, and Samus.

Now the Melee stagelist reflects the same stagelist that was at my tournament. I'd have to dig into results to get the bigger picture, but at EVO, the top 8 consisted of Doc, Peach, Fox, Falco, Sheik, Jiggs, Marth, and Ice Climbers. That's damn good diversity at the largest stage of all time. Rainbow Cruise, Pokefloats, and Kongo Jungle would have mucked that all up, as these stages have in the past.
This is known as "cherry picking". People did it in the MK ban debates all the time.

What you're suggesting here is that a diversity of character selection is a good thing. I can agree to that wholeheartedly; overcentralization is bad.

What you're suggesting is that two tournaments eons apart somehow invalidate the rest of tournament history. Not only that, one was a local and one was a national. And you used top 4 in one and top 8 in the other. It's like cramming as many cardinal sins of data as possible.

There are rules to using Data. When I use the MLG data I use ONLY the MLG data. When using MLG data I don't talk about how Norfair hasn't ever been a problem in the midwest or how Japes has done just fine here (although I do laugh about how badly Boss got owned on the stage when he visited because he didn't know a thing about it).

You want to discuss diversity as an important factor?

You need to determine...

• character usage in the tournament (a higher number of Foxes will equate to a higher number of Foxes in the top 8, for example)
  • Skill ratio between players (I could win my local events with lots of characters and alter results and some players are just better than others; you think Taj's mewtwo being in the top 8 has anything to do with diversity?)
  • What an ideal diverse result looks like (how many characters in top 8? Do secondaries count?)
  • What a BAD result looks like (if you have 4 Foxes and 4 other characters, is this diverse? What about 2 Foxes, 2 Falcos, 2 Marths, 2 Jiggs? Is that diverse? What about top 3 being Marth and r-8th being different? Top 3 being different but 4th-8th being Peach?)
  • A large enough sample size
It takes all of that to even make an educated guess that's worthwhile.

If you can't give numbers, you're guessing.

Since this will be a new game, we'll have to assess the strengths of the characters, and figure out how those apply to certain stages. However, we can easily take a hatchet to about 60-70% of the available stages without missing anything. As I've said before, we have 2 metagames of empirical data to go off of. My concern is that we'll ignore that for the sake of experimentation on the things we should already know, similar to how we experimented with items at the beginning of Brawl even though it was as obvious as ever that they had no business existing in competitive tournaments.
We can't take a hatchet to anything. Your "empirical data" is a bunch of people using anecdotal evidence and personal preference as to why stages should be banned. Most people don't even know why most of the stages are banned to begin with!
Hell, I'd bet you'd fail the quiz on "why this stage is banned" too.
Items could have easily saved Brawl and improved tournament attendance. Do you remember the start of Brawl, with everyone complaining about how campy it was? Items would have fixed that instantly.
Remember planking? Items would have fixed that. Hell, FOOD spawning would have fixed it.
MK scrooging under the stage? Might as well use this time to get a good item.
MK too good? He probably wouldn't be such hot stuff due to his weight when other characters could use projectiles against him that have actual knockback.
Your character have a good glide toss but no projectile? Problem solved.
That would have solved all of Brawl's early problems. ALL of them, instantly.
You don't think that's worth testing? You don't even know what the items will be or how they'll work. It takes skill to use items well and you can see some ridiculous stuff with Peach's turnips in Melee.
More importantly, stages determine the tier list. You think it's an accident that characters like Olimar, Falco, ICs, Marth, and Snake are all top contenders in Brawl? It's because they're good on flat/plat stages. Look at the tier list! It's Meta Knight and then "everyone who does good on flat/plat stages".
Banning a stage because "you know" it isn't competitive would result in a garbage stage list that would serve only a select few characters. You probably think Frigate Orpheon should be banned. -_-;;
How can you support diversity in results but then go towards the stage list that produces the opposite effect?[/quote]

Overswarm

is laughing at you
I'm probably coming off as grumpy as hell in some of my posts tbh

sorry bout that, it's just that

1) we've had several different metagame developments spanning across three different games, it's not very difficult to tell the difference between a kind of weird stage that has enough stuff to work (I'm thinking of s/t like, say, PS1, delfino minus walk-offs, maybe lylat cruise though some people would argue that) and something like kongo jungle, where if a ganon plays against a campy peach he's basically doomed
2) I want a properly solidified metagame, instead of one where we spend the first few years catering to a small minority of people who really, REALLY wants to have hyrule castle 64 in the stage list, before giving up and getting a proper stage list
3) since I went out of my way to insult anyway: overswarm from what I've seen, your data has always been incredibly dubious at best. there's so many outside influences on the results that you rarely mention (taking the bowser example, nearly all of your data came from the first few months 2.5 came out and nobody knew how to play vs a good bowser player), and to me, inaccurate data like that is about as useless as no data at all.

ok carry on

"From what you've seen"? Explain to me what exactly these outside influences are and contribute to the discussion.

As for the Project M stuff, it showed Bowser was the best performing because he was. It actually happened. More importantly it was modeled after Ankoku(Aisight)'s character ranking project which showed it was not only accurate, but I was able to use the data to indicate underlying trends and predict the future of the metagame. That's how you know it's "good data".

HugS™

Smash Lord
I'm pulling cardinal sins because I'm just speaking off the top of my head. I don't have too much time to back everything up. That's what makes discussing things with you all so difficult. Not because you're right, but because you're all so incredibly difficult and demanding when asked to accept the fact that the sky looks blue.

Here are the results at NSH
1: SilentSpectre (Falcon)
2: Lovage (Fox)
3: Axe (Pikachu/Falco)
4: HugS (Samus)
5: Forward (Fox/Sheik)
5: Light (Peach)
7: Fly Amanita (Ice Climbers)
7: Scar (Captain Falcon)

So yeah, same point.

Here's one from last week:

1. Mango (whoever he wants)
2. Fly (Ice climbers)
3. Lucky (Fox)
4. Westballz (Falco, Falcon)
5. HugS (Samus)
5. Mac D (Peach)
7. Hyprid (Marth)
7. Sung (Sheik)

Here's one I picked haphazardly from the results section:

1: Silent Wolf:foxmelee:
2: C!Z:marthmelee:
3: Bladewise:peachmelee:
4: ThePrime:samusmelee:
5: Moose:falcomelee:
5: KAOSTAR:foxmelee::mewtwomelee:
7: Meta:jigglypuffmelee:
7: bwMat:ganondorfmelee:
Without being aware of the rules, I guessed they'd have a limited stagelist based on the diversity of results.
I was right.
2. Stages to Strike:

-Final Destination
-Battlefield
-Yoshi's Story
-Dream Land 64
-Fountain of Dreams

3. Legal Counter-Pick Stages:

-Pokemon Stadium

4. All other stages are BANNED and cannot be played in the tournament; however, any stage can be played as long as both players agree on it.

This very conversation we're having is a sort of microcosm of what my OP was all about, arguing and gathering data incessantly, for long periods of time, just to end up at the exact point we already knew we would end up at. Weird.

Yomi-no-Kuni

Smash Lord
Wow, just reading through the first couple of pages made me frustrated...

I don't get how people assume that having as many stages as possible allowed is mandatory? And that very first post going against Hugs idea was.... i don't know... dramatic? It read like a fiction in which humanity drives itself into extinction. That's also about as much as was true in it...

My thoughts on the topic:
- There is no way to determin wether "all stages should be allowed" or "only the most neutral stages" is THE correct way to go about things. Don't sell you opinion as fact, don't twist the truth.
- Competitive play should focus on the characters and enable as many of them to be viable as possible. If stages limit the character pool, (e.g. Melee fox) banning should be considered.
- Stage Hazards, while not always random, influence the game in a mostly "random" fashion. While you can use them for positioning and combos, most of the time it just puts one character in a more or less disadvantagous position. multiple reasons that i don't want to list.
My opinion: A large Stagepool doesn't give much aditional depth and always brings disavantages for counterpickable characters. While some may benefit from a limited stage pool, i think overall it brings the tiers closer together (judging from melee+Brawl). So why force yourself to play on wacky stages in tournament? I'm not saying ban everything that is ever questioned, but i'm saying don't play on stages that obviously change the focuspoint of the match, when you don't have to.

Chiroz

Tier Lists? Foolish...
NNID
Zykrex
Wow, just reading through the first couple of pages made me frustrated...

I don't get how people assume that having as many stages as possible allowed is mandatory? And that very first post going against Hugs idea was.... i don't know... dramatic? It read like a fiction in which humanity drives itself into extinction. That's also about as much as was true in it...

My thoughts on the topic:
- There is no way to determin wether "all stages should be allowed" or "only the most neutral stages" is THE correct way to go about things. Don't sell you opinion as fact, don't twist the truth.
- Competitive play should focus on the characters and enable as many of them to be viable as possible. If stages limit the character pool, (e.g. Melee fox) banning should be considered.
- Stage Hazards, while not always random, influence the game in a mostly "random" fashion. While you can use them for positioning and combos, most of the time it just puts one character in a more or less disadvantagous position. multiple reasons that i don't want to list.
My opinion: A large Stagepool doesn't give much aditional depth and always brings disavantages for counterpickable characters. While some may benefit from a limited stage pool, i think overall it brings the tiers closer together (judging from melee+Brawl). So why force yourself to play on wacky stages in tournament? I'm not saying ban everything that is ever questioned, but i'm saying don't play on stages that obviously change the focuspoint of the match, when you don't have to.

Your font color is incredibly hard to read.

Dr. James Rustles

Daxinator
Self explanatory is never an argument btw, if you are asked you need to defend your answers, hiding behind the OP is bad.
Just because you ask him to defend an opinion doesn't mean he is obligated to. He's just saying he shares an opinion with someone. Get a grip, Capps.

You remind me of a merry-go-round playing that same repetitive song. Round and round we go!
I don't think he meant just in here, OS has been debating stages in Brawl since the game was released, and if you go through some "historic" stage discussion threads, you'll see this happening.
I freely admit I don't have the data that Overswarm has.
I think it's safe to disregard whatever Overswarm has to say since he has a debilitating incapacity for recognizing fundamental things:

There's no such thing as fighting skill.

LiteralGrill

Smokin' Hot~
I'm pulling cardinal sins because I'm just speaking off the top of my head. I don't have too much time to back everything up. That's what makes discussing things with you all so difficult. Not because you're right, but because you're all so incredibly difficult and demanding when asked to accept the fact that the sky looks blue.

Here are the results at NSH
1: SilentSpectre (Falcon)
2: Lovage (Fox)
3: Axe (Pikachu/Falco)
4: HugS (Samus)
5: Forward (Fox/Sheik)
5: Light (Peach)
7: Fly Amanita (Ice Climbers)
7: Scar (Captain Falcon)

So yeah, same point.

Here's one from last week:

1. Mango (whoever he wants)
2. Fly (Ice climbers)
3. Lucky (Fox)
4. Westballz (Falco, Falcon)
5. HugS (Samus)
5. Mac D (Peach)
7. Hyprid (Marth)
7. Sung (Sheik)

Here's one I picked haphazardly from the results section:

1: Silent Wolf:foxmelee:
2: C!Z:marthmelee:
3: Bladewise:peachmelee:
4: ThePrime:samusmelee:
5: Moose:falcomelee:
5: KAOSTAR:foxmelee::mewtwomelee:
7: Meta:jigglypuffmelee:
7: bwMat:ganondorfmelee:
Without being aware of the rules, I guessed they'd have a limited stagelist based on the diversity of results.
I was right.
2. Stages to Strike:

-Final Destination
-Battlefield
-Yoshi's Story
-Dream Land 64
-Fountain of Dreams

3. Legal Counter-Pick Stages:

-Pokemon Stadium

4. All other stages are BANNED and cannot be played in the tournament; however, any stage can be played as long as both players agree on it.

This very conversation we're having is a sort of microcosm of what my OP was all about, arguing and gathering data incessantly, for long periods of time, just to end up at the exact point we already knew we would end up at. Weird.

God don't let this become a Melee vs Brawl thread...

BUT what if Melee was just better balanced then Brawl? Or what if having a smaller stagelist worked better for Melee but doesn't lead to the same kind of results when implemented in Brawl?

It's hard to argue Melee isn't working for Melee, but Melee ideas when applied to a game as different as Brawl just won't carry the same results. Sure the games at a base are the same, but even the style of gameplay is radically different. Just because it worked for one game cannot guarantee it will work for another.

I'm kinda trying to play devil's advocate on that one, so don't try to murder me or anything. It's just a thought worth maybe looking at.

Just because you ask him to defend an opinion doesn't mean he is obligated to. He's just saying he shares an opinion with someone. Get a grip, Capps.
He doesn't HAVE to, but not doing so would be a tad suspicious wouldn't you agree?

Omni

You can't break those cuffs.
BRoomer

Hugs, there are too many theory monsters out there that, instead of practicing and playing, are going to spend the majority of their time arguing about how the game should be run. Kids who sit at home all day and don't participate in tournament scenes drawing up Overswarm size post (lol, just noticed he was a user viewing this thread) about how Hanenbrow is legit.

So it's definitely going to happen. Because for some reason our community loves to spend more time talking about how we should run the game as opposed to how to get better in the game.

My prediction:

1.) Smash 4 is released.
2.) Open-minded TO's release rulesets that include everything under the sun (will be most TO's)
3.) Conservative TO's will release rulesets that probably still have some stages that need to be struck.
4.) People are going to pronounce "X" character as broken and start arguing about the possibility of a ban.
5.) The Smash 4 Backroom will begin to develop and become infested with hardcore theory fighters and TO's who are really bad at the game.
6.) Mew2King will have the most time on his hand and be #1 again.
7.) Brawl players will shift to Smash 4; Melee players will continue playing Melee.

Omnidamus has spoken.

LiteralGrill

Smokin' Hot~
For me, not providing any kind of answer to back up a claim kinda makes me wonder if he has one. HugS obviously has done this by now so he's good in my book. A lot of people in the thread still haven't though, so... They are stinky hats :p

Hugs, there are too many theory monsters out there that, instead of practicing and playing, are going to spend the majority of their time arguing about how the game should be run. Kids who sent at home all day and don't participate in tournament scenes drawing up Overswarm size post (lol, just noticed he was a user viewing this thread) about how Hanenbrow is legit.
Oh come not, not everyone is that way with stages, I know I'll be playing INSANE amounts as I study each stage though, I'm going to get good AND study. Scary thought, multitasking O_O

[/quote]
So it's definitely going to happen. Because for some reason our community loves to spend more time talking about how we should run the game as opposed to how to get better in the game.

My prediction:

1.) Smash 4 is released.
2.) Open-minded TO's release rulesets that include everything under the sun (will be most TO's)
3.) Conservative TO's will release rulesets that probably still have some stages that need to be struck.
4.) People are going to pronounce "X" character as broken and start arguing about the possibility of a ban.
5.) The Smash 4 Backroom will begin to develop and become infested with hardcore theory fighters and TO's who are really bad at the game.
6.) Mew2King will have the most time on his hand and be #1 again.
7.) Brawl players will shift to Smash 4; Melee players will continue playing Melee.

Omnidamus has spoken.[/quote]

The first line at times is true, but at least SOME time should be taken looking at how we "should" play shouldn't it? People may go WAY too far, but if a strong team of people gets all the info VERY fast at least on stages in the form of stage guides, we save a LOT of that time for getting better. (My plan, I'm disabled so my fingers will never be 100% able to compete, I'll sacrifice my first week of smash for the greater good ;) ) With EXTREMELY detailed info on each stage, at least every TO has a good basis to work with for information on what they make legal.

BUT YOUR PREDICTION!

Number 1 is 100% false and there is no way anyone can prove it right, you are literally insane :p

2 and 3... I think those do need a small split. There will be more liberal TOs who will keep a lot, but not EVERYTHING. Give some of us a little credit, I wouldn't have 75M legal if something like it was in Sm4sh.

Four I will 100% agree with you on, happens in like EVERY fighter.

Five is all depending on how the BRoom is ran this time. Some of it could be avoided more then likely.

6, lol but maybe true.

7... I really do wonder. I think a ton of people will switch over, but Brawl is still a smash game, there will be those who play it forever and never quit.

Mr.Showtime

Smash Ace
Thank you Oversawm for submitting data! About time we see some numbers!

I really really don't want to take 30 years and write a 40 page essay........but....*sigh*...I'll try to summarize as much as I can.

Starting with the MK Usage sheets. Both pages have both counter picks and neutral stages on them. I think Win / Loss data would prove to be more useful.

I'm kind of confused why Brinstar is much lower on the second picture. Was this from two separate tournaments? Because Brinstar was REALLY high in the first picture and low in the second one. Same thing goes for Smashville. Anyways, I'll continue.

Overswarm, if you have another character sheet such as this, it would prove to be helpful. Say, Olimar or D3. Meta Knight is a character who is good all around and its really difficult to show a true importance on this data. Although, I'm not sure what you're trying to convey the meaning by this data, I might not have read something right during your post. Pretty much, what is this trying to prove, or you are just showing interesting facts? To me it seems like Meta Knight has a huge variability of where he can be played, and the reason why some of the stages were so low, were just due to people choosing another stage instead of that particular one, especially if all were allowed in these tournaments.

This is good data right here, but I think it can go against you. A player that has 3 stocks is due to a player having skill especially represented on a neutral stage. However, in the second picture, MK has barely ever wins with 3 stocks, if at all. This could be do due to the abuse of the moving screen. Its a lot harder to live on and more room for SD as well as easily gimping players for being off of position. That is why its difficult to obtain a 3 stock in a stage such as this.

As I said before, I would like to see more characters if you have it, so I can either prove this theory further or prove me wrong. Because once again, MK is good everywhere.

As for the tournament attendance sheet, I don't know what could be "exactly" the cause of it. Could be due to the player interest in Brawl at the start because it was a new game, then people running away from it later for disliking it. At least that's what it looks like to me, but I may be biased here. I don't honestly think this has to do with the range of stages. Also note, that in December, its moving back up again.

I will also agree with Caps. People who just blatantly state, "I agree or disagree" without reason should be ignored due to their lack of reason.

Overswarm:
Smashville - 834
Norfair - 81

3 Stocks:
Smashville - 71 or 8.5%
Norfair - 4 or 4.9%

2 Stocks:

Smashville - 315 or 37.8%
Norfair - 26 or 33.3%

1 stock:

Smashville - 448 or 54.79%
Norfair - 50 or 62.96%

Timeouts removed from equation, but not from total

Is this from MK only still or just all characters? This further proves my theory of reasoning about life expectancy on controversial stages that deter from actual skill.

This data leaves a stalemate on both sides of the spectrum. It doesn't tell us win/loss ratio and exactly as you said "high occurrences doesn't mean a character does well". Although, we can make assumptions on this data. Such as D3 being a horrible pick for Norfair due to his inability to chain grab.

I want to point something out here though that you said in a previous post. You said something along the lines of tiers being different due to the choice of stage selection. I never disagreed on this statement, but I did point out that if there were to be any changes, it would probably effect the middle-tier. I was correct at that since D3 isn't shown much on Norfair (remember this is just an assumption). Ice Climbers also go along with this category as well. This is because the inability to chain grab on a stage like this.

This is pretty much close to what I imagined. Meta Knight being the most played character on Norfair (because he has the highest advantage there) as well as Smashville. The only major difference in character selection that can be seen is Ice Climbers and D3. Low-tier characters can't even play well on Norfair at all. Look at Samus, Shiek, Pokemon Trainer, and Zelda. This shows that if you wanted to competitively based on character selection, its really not that fair to choose Norfair as a stage for "so and so" character.

I'll bring a scenario by you. Player A is really good at tournaments. Has won many times with D3 in Brawl. Next tournament Player A joins has Norfair as a neutral stage. Player A joins knowing that the particular stage completely screws D3 over. Instead of playing as D3 for the tournament he goes to his secondary, Meta Knight, who is great at Norfair.

This is what's going to happen. Middle-tier might drop a few steps. Low-tier will become unplayable. And the S-Tier will be played more than any character at a tournament with stage selections available such as this. This ruins variability. This ruins "skill". If Player A decided to go D3 and ended up playing against a Meta Knight, he would try his best and lose. This is where stage becomes the benefactor of decisions and not player skill. Selecting a stage isn't considered skill.

If you say that skill is not important, then what's the importance of playing? Overswarm, you said it somewhere on this topic that skill does not matter, all that matters is winning or losing.

Overswarm:
What, exactly, do you think "Fighting Skill" is? Actually, nevermind. I don't care. Because there's no such thing as "fighting skill". There's winning and losing, period. You can win by playing well and lose by placing worse than your opponent. That's competition.

This statement right here one day is going to bite you. By saying this, you are not promoting people to play this game. Instead you are trying to make it extinct. Anything that is considered competitive is a representation of skill. You take away skill and what do you have? Answer: No Competition. You're going to lessen the roster and customability even more. Going to LITERALLY be revolved around Meta Knight. This has to be the worst thing I've heard from anyone and I wish that no one would ever use this quote again.

walk off stages are dumb.... lol why are they dumb again? cause they're different.
camera killing you is dumb? it's a moving stage boundary. all you jerks want to do is play the exact same damn stage over and over.
Oh but they're different? how? one is small, one is medium, one is large. oh and one doesn't have a platform, one has one platform, one has two platforms, one has three platforms.

there's so much that can be had if people didn't cry everytime something was a bit different. Look at wobbling. evo forced it onto everyone and now it has become accepted more or less, and the *****ing has subsided

Read this post once again. Having things different are not the issue here. Walk-off stages are banned due to infinite chain-grabbing. You allow stages such as this, everyone will just counter-pick a stage such as this and play as D3. If people are going to "win by playing" as Overswarm said, why the hell would they choose any other character?

Thank you for sharing this. Halbred is considered a CPick because the hazards are clear. The only thing that is actually bad about this stage is the fact that the laser beam randomly targets one person. That is the only reason this stage is not a neutral.

Castle Siege is also a fine stage. The walk-off only exists for a certain amount of time, meaning characters with chain-grabs might have an advantage at a small amount of time, but not overwhelming. If you get a chain-grab with D3 here and kill, that's fine with me. The only reason this is not a neutral is due to the stage transformations. Lots of glitchy things happen during that time.

Example: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hYOOo-A0GSc
Example: Watch at 1:30 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xLPJe1z5l0k

I don't understand how techable sides unfair? I'll agree a bit on the platforms that pop up on the sides, but teching the side is totally legit and takes some skill. Back to the pop ups, it is still timed. Similar to platform on Smashville moving back and forth (and has a chance to save you, although a REALLY small chance).

Items are banned based on complete randomness. Does a capsule have a bomb in it? Oh sweet a star / hammer landed next to me? This is totally unfair. For fun, sure...play like that. For competitive reasons, random should never be allowed.

Now I want to barf for writing this long and pretty sure no one will freaking read it. I don't know why I even bother...

TL;DR: Ok.

clowsui

Smash Legend
This statement right here one day is going to bite you. By saying this, you are not promoting people to play this game. Instead you are trying to make it extinct. Anything that is considered competitive is a representation of skill. You take away skill and what do you have? Answer: No Competition. You're going to lessen the roster and customability even more. Going to LITERALLY be revolved around Meta Knight. This has to be the worst thing I've heard from anyone and I wish that no one would ever use this quote again.
why do you think he advocated to ban MK instead of limiting him

also the only "skill" that a competitive scene has the capacity to measure is a person's skill to win tournaments. we call a person who has won many tournaments a skilled player.

Mr.Showtime

Smash Ace
OK...I'm not arguing against that, rather his definition of skill and competition. If you win tournaments based on picking Rainbow Cruise and Norfair only by playing stages and not the player than I disagree with you.
Other than that, your statement holds truth.

clowsui

Smash Legend
your definition of player skill is extremely limited imo

norfair has problems w it that make it degenerate for sure (and even then the gap is fairly small...)

but rainbow cruise behaves the same way every single time you play on it and there's no real sense of overcentralization considering the strength of multiple characters on there...you ban it because you prefer to keep MK in the game and he dominates on the stage. that's it.

Mr.Showtime

Smash Ace
your definition of player skill is extremely limited imo

I'm not a professional by any means, but I will not accept that petty insult. =)
Shall we also stoop as low to one sentence to argue upon, when I have over a hundred in the previous post? That's as far as you can get me, eh. I see why the BBM is as silly as everyone says. I'm allowed to make petty insults as well. =)

So...what is your definition of player skill then? Please enlighten me.

Regardless of stage, a professional could beat anyone at any stage. This is true, but they will struggle more on such stages than a neutral. Am I wrong? Be my guest, host a tournament with well known players in the smash community. Allow the use of walk-off stages and Rainbow Cruise / Norfair. People who have knowledge of either D3 or MK will counter-pick directly to one of these stages with those characters. You are limiting the roster. You are limiting the interest of a game that could possibly be one of the most competitive games in history.

clowsui

Smash Legend
I have hosted several successful tournaments with many different rulesets from 2008 onwards, and I've been a part of this community and seen its transformations from 2005 onwards. Don't make this a shouting match.

I responded to not the extended post but the post you wrote in response to me.

The "professional" in the situation that you described would be aware that the skill of "counterpicking" is one to be developed and prepared for, and he would choose the character that he feels protects him the best on Norfair or RC. In the case of Brawl, the answer is most often MK, but on both those stages Wario is also extremely viable.

Extremely limited is not even close to invective, btw. I'll write a proper response to your wall of text in a moment.

Mormon Mammoth

Smash Cadet
Provo, Utah, but I still love Austin, Texas
We found that it didn't effect them over time if you used a limited item set (Jack's), but we noticed several issues with items spawning and being grabbed out of the air unintentionally due to the way Brawl's item grab works. Frustration would come up when it was a high % poking game and someone gets an item, but actual win rates didnt' change much.

That said, FFAs with all stages on random and all items on using Keist's point formula resulted in consistent victory too.
Ah, I forgot to mention I was testing this in melee. We didn't have enough time (it was a school project) to use a wide variety of characters but each of us stuck with our mains and did a random stage of both legal(no items) and every stage(with items) It did prove the ruleset used to be significant based on our knowledge of statistics.

Mr.Showtime

Smash Ace
I have hosted several successful tournaments with many different rulesets from 2008 onwards, and I've been a part of this community and seen its transformations from 2005 onwards. Don't make this a shouting match.

I responded to not the extended post but the post you wrote in response to me.

The "professional" in the situation that you described would be aware that the skill of "counterpicking" is one to be developed and prepared for, and he would choose the character that he feels protects him the best on Norfair or RC. In the case of Brawl, the answer is most often MK, but on both those stages Wario is also extremely viable.

Extremely limited is not even close to invective, btw. I'll write a proper response to your wall of text in a moment.

That is not my goal, but that is exactly the response you wanted, is it not? You insult someone, its going to happen right back. No one is going to sit there and be bullied, especially on the internet. Its to be expected. You also seem intelligent enough, so I'd assume that you were expecting a response such as that, and gave it to ya.

That is the answer that I was looking for. The reason we have neutral stages is to deter away from stages that have an overwhelming matchup decision. Its not that my knowledge of a skilled player is slim, its that I view it from a different direction from you. This is why neutral stages are decided, is it not? To prevent from one-sided stages, such as those. So, why are you even arguing this? We both agree on the same subject.

And honestly, no, you don't need to write a response to the wall-of-text. I was giving you a hard time as you did to me.

clowsui

Smash Legend
Thank you Oversawm for submitting data! About time we see some numbers!

I really really don't want to take 30 years and write a 40 page essay........but....*sigh*...I'll try to summarize as much as I can.

Starting with the MK Usage sheets. Both pages have both counter picks and neutral stages on them. I think Win / Loss data would prove to be more useful.

I'm kind of confused why Brinstar is much lower on the second picture. Was this from two separate tournaments? Because Brinstar was REALLY high in the first picture and low in the second one. Same thing goes for Smashville. Anyways, I'll continue.
All the data included in your post (unless I note otherwise) comes from the entire MLG series. The first graph notes the proportion of matches on that stage which involved at least one MK (?) The second graph records the number of times those stages were selected and at least MK was involved.

Overswarm, if you have another character sheet such as this, it would prove to be helpful. Say, Olimar or D3. Meta Knight is a character who is good all around and its really difficult to show a true importance on this data. Although, I'm not sure what you're trying to convey the meaning by this data, I might not have read something right during your post. Pretty much, what is this trying to prove, or you are just showing interesting facts? To me it seems like Meta Knight has a huge variability of where he can be played, and the reason why some of the stages were so low, were just due to people choosing another stage instead of that particular one, especially if all were allowed in these tournaments.
If my assertions were correct, the data suggests that players at MLG tournaments believed that the best stages for MK that were legal were Brinstar, Rainbow Cruise, Halberd, Delfino Plaza and Norfair in that order.

This is good data right here, but I think it can go against you. A player that has 3 stocks is due to a player having skill especially represented on a neutral stage. However, in the second picture, MK has barely ever wins with 3 stocks, if at all. This could be do due to the abuse of the moving screen. Its a lot harder to live on and more room for SD as well as easily gimping players for being off of position. That is why its difficult to obtain a 3 stock in a stage such as this.

As I said before, I would like to see more characters if you have it, so I can either prove this theory further or prove me wrong. Because once again, MK is good everywhere.
MK being good everywhere is precisely what makes getting a representative sample difficult xD also I don't see why you chose 3 stocks as your demonstrative metric considering how small the sample size is >_>

As for the tournament attendance sheet, I don't know what could be "exactly" the cause of it. Could be due to the player interest in Brawl at the start because it was a new game, then people running away from it later for disliking it. At least that's what it looks like to me, but I may be biased here. I don't honestly think this has to do with the range of stages. Also note, that in December, its moving back up again.

I will also agree with Caps. People who just blatantly state, "I agree or disagree" without reason should be ignored due to their lack of reason.
There's nothing to relate to range of stages, he said it was an easter egg lol. If he really wanted to be a troll he could've said that by this graph it's obvious: less stages leads to less entrants Kappa

Overswarm:
Smashville - 834
Norfair - 81

3 Stocks:
Smashville - 71 or 8.5%
Norfair - 4 or 4.9%

2 Stocks:

Smashville - 315 or 37.8%
Norfair - 26 or 33.3%

1 stock:

Smashville - 448 or 54.79%
Norfair - 50 or 62.96%

Timeouts removed from equation, but not from total

Is this from MK only still or just all characters? This further proves my theory of reasoning about life expectancy on controversial stages that deter from actual skill.
I don't see how it does considering there's a <10% difference between life expentancies on Smashville and Norfair...what is your threshold?

This data leaves a stalemate on both sides of the spectrum. It doesn't tell us win/loss ratio and exactly as you said "high occurrences doesn't mean a character does well". Although, we can make assumptions on this data. Such as D3 being a horrible pick for Norfair due to his inability to chain grab.

I want to point something out here though that you said in a previous post. You said something along the lines of tiers being different due to the choice of stage selection. I never disagreed on this statement, but I did point out that if there were to be any changes, it would probably effect the middle-tier. I was correct at that since D3 isn't shown much on Norfair (remember this is just an assumption). Ice Climbers also go along with this category as well. This is because the inability to chain grab on a stage like this.
I don't know if you were around for early Brawl but when there were a lot of stages DDD was considered to be one of the best because he was strong on many of them at that point in the metagame (Green Hill Zone, Onett, Green Greens, Delfino, Port Town Aero Drive)...though IMO as the metagame progressed, even given this stage list he could conceivably land in middle tier since there are characters that can neutralize him effectively in those locations too.

This is pretty much close to what I imagined. Meta Knight being the most played character on Norfair (because he has the highest advantage there) as well as Smashville. The only major difference in character selection that can be seen is Ice Climbers and D3. Low-tier characters can't even play well on Norfair at all. Look at Samus, Shiek, Pokemon Trainer, and Zelda. This shows that if you wanted to competitively based on character selection, its really not that fair to choose Norfair as a stage for "so and so" character.
Norfair can't be the stage of highest advantage for MK; in the same data set his win rate on that stage was significantly lower than Halberd and Delfino (though OS says he doesn't have the strict data any more, I remember that being the case to corroborate his memory). Samus, Sheik, PT and Zelda had some of the lowest representation of all characters at all MLG tournaments, btw...so you can't draw that conclusion from this data haha

I'll bring a scenario by you. Player A is really good at tournaments. Has won many times with D3 in Brawl. Next tournament Player A joins has Norfair as a neutral stage. Player A joins knowing that the particular stage completely screws D3 over. Instead of playing as D3 for the tournament he goes to his secondary, Meta Knight, who is great at Norfair.

This is what's going to happen. Middle-tier might drop a few steps. Low-tier will become unplayable. And the S-Tier will be played more than any character at a tournament with stage selections available such as this. This ruins variability. This ruins "skill". If Player A decided to go D3 and ended up playing against a Meta Knight, he would try his best and lose. This is where stage becomes the benefactor of decisions and not player skill. Selecting a stage isn't considered skill.
I'm not sure what you're saying here...Player A is really good at tournaments. To continue being good at tournaments, he should pick MK so long as Norfair is a neutral stage. We're agreeing lol.

BTW the point of the data isn't to demonstrate that Norfair is neutral, just that certain subjective arguments (e.g. "the stage is too good for MK" and "this stage makes scrubs win") don't hold up in the face of the data. Other subjective arguments (e.g. "this stage is too severe in its hazards" or "this stage is too random/inconsistent") have to be evaluated individually w standards and testing of the stage relative to the standards.

If you say that skill is not important, then what's the importance of playing? Overswarm, you said it somewhere on this topic that skill does not matter, all that matters is winning or losing.

Overswarm:
What, exactly, do you think "Fighting Skill" is? Actually, nevermind. I don't care. Because there's no such thing as "fighting skill". There's winning and losing, period. You can win by playing well and lose by placing worse than your opponent. That's competition.

already addressed this

---

re: your most recent post

Extremely was a poor word choice perhaps...I didn't intend on sounding inflammatory. Apologies

This is why quite a few people have resisted the term "neutral" stage. There is no "neutral" stage. "Starter" is a much more accurate term. The most fair form of stage striking involved is full list stage striking but this isn't time efficient and also adds to the complexity of the ruleset. So we select a group of stages that, across most (ideally all) of the cast, do not generate overwhelming advantages/disadvantages for a character. Constructivists like Overswarm and myself believe that the standard for "overwhelming advantage/disadvantage" is overcentralization.

Mr.Showtime

Smash Ace
Great response.

Sorry, it was my lackluster of information on the data sheets and when these tournaments occurred. (I wish they were time stamped). Nothing in OS's posts gave me a time frame when the data was recorded, so I assumed it was recent. I guess I should have actually asked.

Top Bottom