• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ps2 controller

Seagull Joe

Smash Legend
NNID
SeagullJoe
Does anyone use it to play brawl/melee? I would like to know if anyone does because if someone bought the image below then the settings would be different. The analog stick would be actual buttons. What would this do for gameplay if someone used a Ps2/Ps1 controller? Could this be beneficial in the long run or just stupid?

From Play-Asia for like 5 bucks^

Kitamerby

Smash Hero
I knew a kid way back like 10 years ago who rewired his PS1 controller to play on the N64.

We played Smash 64 and he used it all the time. I honestly have absolutely no idea how he got it to work, but he loved it.

Kewkky

Uhh... Look at my status.
Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
I don't think it'd be allowed in tournaments for the sheer fact of having 2 easily-accessible button shortcuts that no one else has (that is, if they work).

Orion*

Smash Researcher
I don't think it'd be allowed in tournaments for the sheer fact of having 2 easily-accessible button shortcuts that no one else has (that is, if they work).
i dont really see whats so bad about it as long as they have to push the individual inputs

Flayl

Smash Hero
As long as it doesn't have macros or turbo, any controller should be allowed.

Jamage

Smash Ace
NNID
Jamage007
3DS FC
5412-9923-5145
Switch FC
1787 8077 0889
I have one and a guy at our locals used to use it as he was a PS2 gamer but liked smash. he wasnt any good though.

Gea

Smash Master
I've used one before back before Brawl came out. Couldn't lightshield without using Z, which sucked. Otherwise it's better if you can get used to it. Makes powershielding easy as hell.

Joaco

Triforce of Wisdom
NNID
JoacoRyu8
Analog responds different from Gamecube controllers or Nunchuks. It should be banned.

Flutter NiTE

Smash Lord
Not nessecarily, if the Classic Controller Pro is allowed, this should be. its the same controller.

patoons

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Patoons
i have one of those things. i bought it mainly cuz it was cheap, and in college most people had ps2s and they'd wanna play melee and i didn't feel like shelling out for an extra gc pad for the sake of multiplayer. from what i recall, the L1 button acts as Z, so i don't think that would be like an extra button.

as far as the 2 extra accessible buttons argument, the GC has an extra stick than if someone uses wiichuck.

ill try it with brawl and report

Scatz

Smash Champion
This is incorrect. You can't shortcut unless the input worked as a Classic Controller, and that would have to go into the Wiimote. Since the connector has to go into the GC port, his R1 button would map to whatever Z would be or it wouldn't even work. Everything else would function as normal.

It's basically a Classic controller Pro
Not the same for same reasons as above.

patoons

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Patoons
i totally forgot i promised to test the PS2 controller for this, a user PMd me about it so i decided to test it out, but he asked for melee, so i tested melee and brawl.

melee :
dash dancing was fine. no problems there. i was able to do light shielding. just gotta press L/R2 lightly. not as easy as gc L/R, but its possible to do it. not hard at all. R3 functions just as well as the Cstick. L1 and R1 work as grab, so its like an extra grab button. its a fine substitute for the gc pad.

brawl:
was able to dacus with snake, took some getting used to but after a few tries i was able to do it almost as well as i do with gc pad. was able to glidetoss with zss. L1 also mirrors R1 so whatever u have set to Z will be LR1.

clicking the analog sticks did nothing in either game. overall not horrible. quite comparable to gamecube controller. if you got used to it you could probably be just as good with a ps2 controller. moreso in melee it felt closer to gc controller

Top Bottom