• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

PSA: GCC's back in stock!

TerryJ

Smash Journeyman
NNID
1337-1337-1337
3DS FC
1337-1337-1337
Doesn't the white ones suck tho (no idea actually)?
A couple of my friends play with the white ones, and I see them at tournaments all the time.

They're just new controllers, they work well. If these are the Japanese ones (I haven't check the link yet) then the cord will be longer too.

♡ⓛⓞⓥⓔ♡

Anti-Illuminati
The white controllers have the issue on the R-trigger where when you press the trigger down on the backside of the button it gets "stuck". For people that use R and are used to pressing the trigger buttons at the very back edge of the button this is a problem. I switched an R-trigger button from a non-white controller to my white controller to overcome the problem.

SadColor

Smash Rookie
If these are the Japanese ones (I haven't check the link yet) then the cord will be longer too.
It's a Japanese one, the cord's at least twice as long as my old GC controllers...also the box was in Japanese too.
The white controllers have the issue on the R-trigger where when you press the trigger down on the backside of the button it gets "stuck". For people that use R and are used to pressing the trigger buttons at the very back edge of the button this is a problem. I switched an R-trigger button from a non-white controller to my white controller to overcome the problem.
...Huh? Does it? I bought two, they work fine...
Though I normally press it in the middle of the shoulder buttons. I don't really know exactly what you mean by pressing it on the backside, though...

TerryJ

Smash Journeyman
NNID
1337-1337-1337
3DS FC
1337-1337-1337
Though I normally press it in the middle of the shoulder buttons. I don't really know exactly what you mean by pressing it on the backside, though...
Yeah it does, my friend has one and when you press it from the wrong area it gets stuck against the plastic. Kinda weird but you get used to it.

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
I've used white controllers for the last 4 years... no problems with them that doesn't happen with other controller colors. Main difference is the cord which is longer.

HT F8

Hostile Takeover
A lot of people prefer certain color controllers. Does anyone actually feel a difference depending on controller color? My white one has been great, and very durable. The extra long grappling-hook cable can be a pain to unwind at tournaments LOL but it's no biggie.

♡ⓛⓞⓥⓔ♡

Anti-Illuminati
It's a Japanese one, the cord's at least twice as long as my old GC controllers...also the box was in Japanese too.

The R button doesn't get stuck if you press it on the "middle". Since the buttons are shaped in half pipe fashion pressing in the middle means pressing in the middle of the curve. Some people like me are used to press the R-button at the very sharp back edge of the button for quicker access. Here's a photo comparison of the R-trigger buttons, the one on the left is from a white controller and the one on the right is from an older non-white controller.

Bones0

Smash Legend
The R button doesn't get stuck if you press it on the "middle". Since the buttons are shaped in half pipe fashion pressing in the middle means pressing in the middle of the curve. Some people like me are used to press the R-button at the very sharp back edge of the button for quicker access. Here's a photo comparison of the R-trigger buttons, the one on the left is from a white controller and the one on the right is from an older non-white controller.
They look exactly the same... I have also experienced the sticking trigger on original models. You just have to not press it into the back of the controller.

♡ⓛⓞⓥⓔ♡

Anti-Illuminati
They look exactly the same... I have also experienced the sticking trigger on original models. You just have to not press it into the back of the controller.
I've never experienced the problem on original controllers. I found it impossible to try to learn to press the trigger in a different way that I'd learned over the course of years.

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
I know you may have experience with 1 or 2 controllers, but please don't make statements about the entire population of controllers when you don't have any evidence to support your statements.

White controllers are made the exact same way and with the exact same parts as colored controllers [of the same generation].

♡ⓛⓞⓥⓔ♡

Anti-Illuminati
I know you may have experience with 1 or 2 controllers, but please don't make statements about the entire population of controllers when you don't have any evidence to support your statements.

It's a known issue with the white controller and there are other people who can confirm my statement. Every white controller I've tried out has had the same problem, although it's only an issue for people like me who have learned to press the trigger buttons a certain way. I know people who have even swapped their white controllers to a non-white ones because they haven't been willing to meddle with the controller.

But my opinion on this doesn't matter anyway, because if you need a brand new controller to play Melee with, white one is pretty much the only option you have.

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
You're making claims without having the data to back your claims up. I get this is the internet and you can say whatever you want and nobody can stop you, but try to understand. In order to actually make a claim like "white controllers have a higher chance of having a defect", one would need to take a sample of at least 30 new controllers of each color (100+ would be better), test them all for defects, record the data, and then use the sample data to try to make conclusions about the entire population (ei, every controller produced). If you are referencing a study like that, please cite your source. Otherwise, you are simply posting hearsay.

edit- My hearsay: I have 3 white controllers and 3 controllers of other colors in the room with me. The white controllers are in the best condition, even though I have used exclusively white controllers for the last 5 years.

Kadano

Magical Express
All white controllers I’ve taken apart so far have had the best stickbox type. They’ve also been greased much more generously. In other colors, stickbox type seems to be pretty much randomly distributed.

Top Bottom