• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ptbr = **** Is Serious Business

Miles.

Smash Champion
The New Pokemon Trainer Back Room

toby hates joy.
toby hates young pts so full of hope running about dreaming of beating marths mks and snakes.
ptbr was a social hangout, thats fun and cool but its not getting us anywhere.
its business time.
its **** times.
**** is serious business.
toby is going to come up with some criteria for entrance into the ptbr
we would like to actually work on projects that will advance our meta game.
jokes are always welcome, but we want to DO WORK son.
so if you were kicked out of the PTBR no hard feelings, you most likely will be invited back, just with new expectations.

People under review for P.T.B.R.
This is based on PMs to PTBR members, vids of your gameplay, and the general content and manner of your PT board posts. Plus if you have cool hair or are just super funny. Both is a plus.

Vermiis
T-Block

Toby.

Smash Master
He's telling the truth. Joy is worthless in the face of serious pokemon business. and yes i hate you all.

Expect a criteria very soon, as well as a list of projects we'll be working on. This time you guys will actually see these projects completed, so look forward to it ;)

love, toby

clarification edit: We want the ptbr to provide steady and meaningful updates to the pokemon trainer metagame. Whilst there are a lot of great players floating around, what we're really looking for is people who are willing to get their hands dirty and work out solid solutions to current problems. We need updated guides, matchup analysis, videos, and more. At the moment the back room is too cluttered and socially oriented (<3 typh!) to achieve this.

Hopefully we'll be able to kick start pokemon trainer by getting this work horse moving again.

CoonTail

Smash Lord
Lol well all i gotta say is a direct quote from typh was "If you IC45(me) keep talking about PT, i will kick you out". Pretty weak that I get yelled at for talking about PT lol then kicked out for not adding anything of help to PT.

Catch 22 much??

Anyway I completely agree with this idea and would love to know what the criteria to make it back into the PTBR . I have found alot out and shared what I chose lol I thought Ice_Cooning meant something LOL. Anyway Mr.-Insert Serious Business here- Brown fire away on the criteria I got determination to be part of team rocket again!!!

Bomber7

Smash Hero
Interesting. setting up criteria for the ptbr. I will be watching this unfold with great interest.

Toby.

Smash Master
**General Projects**
  • Updated character matchups, to support the video thread created by magik and the various discussions underway at the moment. This will primarily focus on the matchups we either have a lot of trouble with or ones that we should do really well in. The aim is to bolster out strengths and overcome our weaknesses.
  • Videos showing all the characters we can gimp with watergun, tether or otherwise, and the best way(s) to go about it with each of our pokemon.

**Squirtle**
  • Decide on a unified way of describing squirtles shell shift mechanics. Despite discussion on the terminology a while back, people still use conflicted terms. A video simply demonstrating each of the shift mechanics and the poper term will probably be the best solution.
  • Full edge release write up, with best options vs each character.
  • A guide on playing to avoid the grab. As our opponents realise that almost every character can air release chain grab us, often with at least one guaranteed followup, this will become more and more important.
  • Material on how to land the moves that count: hydrograbs, upsmashes, jab locks, etc.

**Ivysaur**
  • A guide / video on recovering like a pro. The best options(s) for any given situation. It's amazing we haven't done something like this yet.
  • A guide on stage control: how to minimize the gimps and keep ivysaur in the best possible position to do something meaningful. This includes outlining the importance of positioning moves such as dthrow: how to land the grab, and how to read and punish our opponent after the throw.

**Charizard**
I'm tired and need to eat breakfast. Will update later.

If anyone has anything they'd like the br to work on, feel free to say so.

Miles.

Smash Champion
Zard Tricks.

Playing Zard as lagless as possible.

Baits and Punishes.

Dragon Dancing.

Edge Tricks. Glide tricks.

COMBOS.

Blah blah blah.

How to edgeguard each character, as in the optimal way to edge guard each character.

Landing Fair.

Jab reset combos.

Breaking combos with rocksmash.

Using UP B effectively.

Flame Cancel combos.

Grab follow ups.

SPacing and safe options.

Movement.

landing kill moves in new ways.
Dash dance application.

zeta

Smash Journeyman
have fun guys i think i'll go main snake now =[

but seriously i never used the br for socializing. I only ever tried to post things that i found useful and or new.

i work full time and go to college as much as i'd like to i won't be able to do projects. It was nice seeing all the neat stuff we talk about in there. I guess my pt metagame ends here seeing how theres to much garbage in the main forum to sift through.

no hard feelings intended but feelings hurt none the less

=*[

Toby.

Smash Master
Zeta!

If you take a look at the current members, everyone got kicked out and miles is bringing people back in now.

We know that you were never a problem, and that you've done a lot of work for PT in the past.

Don't assume that we'd forgotten about that and were just going to leave you out!

Btw we never got to play at EVO. Laaaaame.

Sulfur

Smash Apprentice
Wait, something useful?
I thought that the character board was just a space for you guys to troll and call out new guys.
Hopefully you guys do follow up with this list. It would be really useful.

Zigsta

Disney Film Director
NNID
Zigsta
3DS FC
1547-5526-6811
I'd love for the BR to discuss Charizard's jab lock more. If I'm not mistaken, it was brought up in the Charizard tactical discussion thread, and we had come to the conclusion that it was "weird." Toby had mentioned it using his second hit at one point, but I couldn't get Charizard's second jab to make a ROB I played the other day stay locked. I read on another character board--I think it was the Wolf boards--that Charizard's jab lock leads to a Rock Smash, and yet I've never seen this in a video. A video of a successful Charizard jab lock would be great.

Toby.

Smash Master
I worked on it a lot about 2 months ago. Basically you can only make charizard's jab lock the opponent if you jab at the exact moment they hit the ground. Otherwise it automatically puts them in the standing position.

I'm assuming that wolf boards were talking about rock smash because I forgot to log off smashboards whilst at an aussie wolf players house. He was secretly reading the ptbr posts for about a month, lol.

I'll do a bit of a writeup when I've got time.

Long story short: if we land the jab we can do a combo that totals about 80% damage. The jab is hard to land, but the setups for the jab lock allow for other free moves instead, which are worth a mention. But it's past my bed time ;)

Zigsta

Disney Film Director
NNID
Zigsta
3DS FC
1547-5526-6811
Haha, that explains why the Wolf boards discussed it. That would be a huge help--thanks, Toby.

CoonTail

Smash Lord
Hey Ive been looking into this more and more after this new concept of actually putting work into our PT's came up and I honestly cant wait for this new BR. I look at most of the other boards and they are way far ahead of us and much more serious about learning their character and getting their matchups done. So if it takes Toby to complete revolutionize the PT boards then Im all about it because honestly we got nothing on the other boards besides immense talent at scaring out new comers and flaming people.

Toby.

Smash Master
Hey Ive been looking into this more and more after this new concept of actually putting work into our PT's came up and I honestly cant wait for this new BR. I look at most of the other boards and they are way far ahead of us and much more serious about learning their character and getting their matchups done. So if it takes Toby to complete revolutionize the PT boards then Im all about it because honestly we got nothing on the other boards besides immense talent at scaring out new comers and flaming people.
Don't forget Miles!
Miles is the one that got this going. He's in charge of the BR after all. I'm just a random guy who started complaining ;)

luke_atyeo

Smash Hero
ahh good old toby, finally getting the respect he deserves, anyways what I would like to see is an improved matchup thread, now every board has a matchup thread that has pro's and cons and stuff but tbh thats all complete ****.

what you need is a detailed analysis of every little trick you can do (for instance letting people know things like squirtles jab is 1 frame, but clashes with snakes jab and ftilt which are slower than 1 frame therefore you can attack with jab to cancel out snakes stuff and then punish him)

as well as what moves beat what, what you should and shouldnt do, etc etc, even more so with PT for all 3 pokemans as well as things like pkmn order, when to switch blah blah blah.

now even if you guys, or other boards do do this, its still not enough, there should be a vid for every matchup SHOWING stuff, txt often doesnt get the point across.

alot of hard work I know, but ash never gave up!

Bomber7

Smash Hero
Yeah but ash never had skill to begin with. Ontop of that we have skill, which he lacks. Also we are for the most part too lazy, however that is probably why Mr. Brown is doing this because we are probably the only incomplete board on the whole site as far as match up discussion goes.

Steeler

Smash Hero
NNID
Steeler
you have to take into consideration that we are doing 3x the work that every single other board is doing lol

Bomber7

Smash Hero
well duh. It takes 3x's the effort to even get the motivation then it takes 3x's more just to type it all up and 3x's more just to even bother to click the post button. So yeah, PT boards mean some serious business.

Toby.

Smash Master
^ I agree. I'm hammering out a little outline of the pieces of housekeeping that will need to be done over the next month...guides that have to be re written, things that need to be tidied up and made clearer. Hopefully the board will be a lot more accessible and informative soon.

Bomber7

Smash Hero
>> I'll start by finishing the Choosing Your starter thread because it died like a week ago.

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
I did your frame data.

Not like PTBR would get any less productive, I've shaped a lot of toby's growth for like the past 500 years, so it would only bring the PRONESS to you, EARLY. No back throw and pk firbullet seed included.

T-block

B2B TST
oh snap...i go out of town for a week and the PT boards explode

i'm glad these boards still have this sort of motivation..i just hope i get invited back ;)

let's wreck ****

Top Bottom