• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Punch baiting

King Kong

Smash Lord
Ever tried baiting your opponent with the punch?

As in, if you are fairly certain that your opponent will use a full jump aerial to attack (Such as fox's falling U-air), use the punch so that it misses them. (Eg. The fox you are playing likes full jump falling U-air, run towards them or wait for their approach then, when you think they will jump use the punch so that the punch misses - also works on people who use their DJ to try and fake you out)

90% of the time your opponent cannot resist trying to punish the lag, and as such will try to use a falling aerial.

BUT......

The giant punch dosnt have that much lag.

So you can Up-B very quickly afterwards.

So when they attempt their aerial attack they get caught in the power hitbox of the Up-B.

Works fairly often, not always of course. Its good on opponents who spend a lot of time in the air.

Especially once they catch on. Or if they use a shuffled aerial instead.

But its fun and it mixes up your game a bit. So basically you use the punch to bait your opponent into attacking you from the air then Up-B them... pretty simple but funny.

peace out

King Kong

Smash Lord
lol thats interesting... im guessing it only works on somewhat floaty characters at least?
No it works best on fastfallers. They are the ones who use fast fallen fulljump aerials more, and once they commit to an attack they cant really pull out.

For example if Falcon is above you in the air you can bait him by pretending to miss the punch then using up B when he comes down with a D-air or Knee.

Floaties dont tend to come down with aerials as they dont fall fast enough generally.

peace out

phish-it

Smash Champion
THis works alot when you hit the opponent in the air but miss a finisher (say F-air or giant punch) more often than not, your opponent gets greedy and will try to hit you out of it. Which is where the Crack comes in handy.

Buttcrust

Smash Ace
I use the u-b to hit Falco out of his d-air all the time. Usually we don't even trade hits. Am I just that awesome (which I very well could be. :) ) or are there invincibility frames in the move?

technomancer

Smash Champion
Awesome is correct. Good Falco's time their D-air really late in the jump for better combos/less getting grabbed.

King Kong

Smash Lord
I use the u-b to hit Falco out of his d-air all the time. Usually we don't even trade hits. Am I just that awesome (which I very well could be. :) ) or are there invincibility frames in the move?
There are invincibilty frames in this move, i think its in the first 3 or 5 but I dont remember properly. Im not sure if you can use the Up-B to break Falcos pillar but it would be cool if you could.

peace out

Top Bottom