• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Purple Pikmin uses--deadly

Esca

Smash Champion
Okay guys, from starting the game playing Olimar, i hated the Purple Pikmin, but now i've come to realize that they may be the best Pikmin.

purplePikmin are very good for grabbing at high percentages.
If someone has around 130%, and you have a purple Pikmin, try your hardest to grab him, and then upward throwing him, it k0's most characters.

Fair's are good with Purple Pikmin if you plan on using them for a good knockback or Edgeguard.

Another tech to use with the Purples is to latch with a white Pikmin, and then have a purple pikmin after the white pikmin, its very distracting and has about 20% guaranteed damage. fsmash is good off the edge with them, but learn to call them back as soon as you use it.

I hope this purple guide does benefit some, but i'm sorry if it doesn't, and you wasted about 3 minutes reading this.

ne_Ziggy

Smash Cadet
It's entirely situational though, the grabs I mean. Most people tend to prefer bairs with the blue pikmin around 100%-ish. At very low percentages, whites seem to be best because you can cause 4% damage per hit while grabbing them instead of two, then a d-throw into fair or dair combos.

Agree with everything else, but I tend to throw purples when they're trying to approach.

Esca

Smash Champion
It's entirely situational though, the grabs I mean. Most people tend to prefer bairs with the blue pikmin around 100%-ish. At very low percentages, whites seem to be best because you can cause 4% damage per hit while grabbing them instead of two, then a d-throw into fair or dair combos.

Agree with everything else, but I tend to throw purples when they're trying to approach.
I agree with that, but when i'm approached, i just shield grab. I assume its just different play styles

TrueRedemption

Smash Journeyman
I agree with that, but when i'm approached, i just shield grab. I assume its just different play styles
So when someone actually spaces correctly and you can't shield grab because they are out of range, or behind you, then what? =P

Purple grabs are difficult, the reduced range makes things difficult, however their UThrow KO potential is mentioned in the Advanced Olimar Discussion thread. Purples are best used for Aerials as you mentioned, or Latch tossed, where they can act as extended range FSmashes of sorts. Current understanding of the best use of all 5 types of pikmin can also be found in the thread mentioned above. Learn what each type is most useful for, always know your current lineup, and apply the best choice between what type of move you need in a situation and the next pikmin's strengths, simple as that.

-True

Preciselymb

Smash Rookie
What about DSmash? Same range as with normal pikmin, and GREAT knockback + fine damage. I usually try to Dsmash with them at high percents, throw them at lower if characters are trying to kill me, and grab/fair at medium percents just to raise damage.

EDIT: I do have a question, though. What do you do with white pikmin? I always throw them, even when they already have high percents. In fact, when they have high percents, instead I throw them off the edge and pluck a new one. They can be really annoying.

TrueRedemption

Smash Journeyman
DSmash isn't bad, however I've found the move to be quite situational, not quick enough to use for assured spacing, not enough range to really space your opponents with, tremendous potential if you can land it inside your opponent for a double hit, however it is not the easiest move to land inside your opponent like that. There are uses for it of course, and in the correct situations it can be lead into certainly, though I haven't found any great situations or openings for it even. Because of its situational use, and considerable time commitment, I don't feel its a great option for Purple pikmin. However your right you should also consider the DSmash option at any time it presents itself except for when you'd be connecting with a White pikmin.

As for white your correct, throwing is 95% of the time the correct option from a neutral standing. Mid combo don't hesitate throwing out a White in another attack, but be aware of its reduced stun knock back damage and priority. In rare cases it'll work out in your favor, as the thread on white pikmin attempted too strongly to prove, and Dangr correctly broke down the situation mostly to put the OP's point into perspective. So just to be repetitive, throw white pikmin at your opponent, though don't forget to be creative about it, perhaps if you get a grab with a white pikmin next FThrow and then immediately SideB, or maybe you throw another pikmin first just before a white so the varying of speed and multiple projectiles causes a mistake that leads to a better chance of actually getting a pikmin latched from a neutral situation.

-True

Rapid_Assassin

Smash Master
I like using purples for aerials, and occasionally throw them at the enemy. the reduced range of purple fsmash and grab is kind of annoying, but I'll eventually get the hang of spacing that perfectly too...

Esca

Smash Champion
All of your points are valid, and these attacks do work, and the are options, but if your in one of the situations in what position you don't know what to do, and your only a semi-experienced olimar, then those are great options.

-esca

Zyg

Smash Rookie
Well my bigest problem with purples is that if i don't know they are coming it messes my combo up ( short reach with grab / throw )
So my question is ! How do you guys keep track of your pikmin order ? When i'm fighting and comboing i just lose track :/

Any tips on how i could improve this ? Or it just comes with training ?

ne_Ziggy

Smash Cadet
It comes through a little practice that's all. Best way to see your line is when you're moving, so learn how to check whenever you are so you don't get confused when you're standing still. Also, learn the whistle orders, I'm pretty sure you can find that in the Advanced Olimar Discussion...

CY

Smash Ace
upon reading this thread, my olimar is now a much stronger, solid character. thank you for your pure knowledge of this character, escajehubus. :)

Top Bottom