• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Putting Meta Knight to the test.

yelocakeffect

Smash Rookie

Hello everyone, I’m a noob gamer who wants to be more knowledgeable about SSBB and certain match up types. To be perfectly honest, the current metagame doesn’t interest me very much and I want to branch off into different territory. :bee:

That said, besides this point, I keep hearing that Meta Knight is godly and wanted to put his superior properties to the test. To do this, I want to ask professional players who know this game in and out about the possible threats I face fighting him. In this case they are mostly condition specific.

What I mean by this, is instead of judging the overall percent of Meta Knight winning a match as a whole (via the current good and bad match-up tradition), I want to try something a little different. I want to dissect Meta Knights ability in “circumstantial” event to test his mettle.

Below is a list of circumstances; each is created to test Meta Knights uber ability to dominate. This is an attempt to clarify certain measures of his actual latent potential and room for growth in a possible new metagame. Please enjoy. ^_^

Let’s begin…

1. Is the cracker launcher item a good counter to Meta Knights air camping ability? If it is or is not, please explain why.
2. Are spring items a good counter to Meta Knights air camping ability? If it is or is not, again, please explain why.
3. Does Meta Knights transcendent priority in his special attacks negate gooey bombs, Bob-bombs, smart-bombs or land mines? If does or does not, please explain why.
4. If Captain Falcon is wielding a beam sword, and Meta Knight is not, who has the advantage in this current match-up and why?
5. If Sheik is wielding a beam sword, and Meta Knight is not, who has the advantage in this current match-up and why?
6. If both Star Wolf and Meta Knight where both at 150% damage and the option of tossing hotheads were fairly ideal (say 3-4 where available), which character would have the advantage and why?
7. If both Star Fox and Meta Knight where both at 150% damage and the option of tossing hotheads were fairly ideal (say 3-4 where available), which character would have the advantage and why?
8. On the Mario Bros level (where the turtles and crabs creep out of the tunnels), in a battle, Meta Knight vs. Star Wolf, which character has the advantage and why?
9. On the Mario Bros level (where the turtles and crabs creep out of the tunnels), in a battle, Meta Knight vs. Falco, which character has the advantage and why?
10. On the Mario Bros level (where the turtles and crabs creep out of the tunnels), in a battle, Meta Knight vs. Star Fox, which character has the advantage and why?
11. Meta Knight throws a hothead item at Princess Zelda, but she reflects it with neutral b, picks up another hothead next to her and tosses that one it as well. Meta Knight uses his air camping and mobility to avoid the situation as much as possible. Princess Zelda uses Din’s Fire to shake things up a bit. She also has a spring (trampoline) item to use for jumping. In the following scenario, please explain who has the advantage, and why.
12. A party ball container has just opened in the middle of Final Destination. The two opposing players are Meta Knight and Marth whom both are on opposing ends of the level. Several Homerun bats fall from the sky available to either character to abuse at will. Keep in mind that both characters can rush in for the items, or chose to ignore them and use a different strategy all together. In the following scenario, please explain who has the advantage, and why.
13. Diddy Kong and Meta Knight are battling in a 3 stock match up. The arena is Bridge of Eden, and items are turned on to the highest setting. Both players are highly skilled and have no shame in camping or spamming. In the following scenario, please explain who has the advantage, and why.
14. Does Meta Knight have any disadvantage on any stages that are banned from tournament (competitive) play? If so, name them, if not, please explain why in detail for every banned level for competitive play.
15. Are there any stages in SSBB that allow other characters to punish Meta Knight for his helpless animation in all 4 of his special moves? If so, which special move is punishable, and what level(s) allow it.
16. Why does Diddy Kong perform so well battling against Meta Knight in competitive play? If there are certain attributes that he alone possesses what are they? Also, can they be duplicated outside of competitive play by other characters?
17. Why does Solid Snake perform so well battling against Meta Knight in competitive play? If there are certain attributes that he alone possesses what are they? Also, can they be duplicated outside of competitive play by other characters?
18. When battling against Meta Knight in competitive play, which 3 characters are the most useless? Are the reasons they are useless all similar or different? Are there any specific additional details that might help explain this further?
19. Are the any techniques, items or stages outside of the Metagame that Meta Knight is susceptible to or weak against, that no other characters in the cast are? If any of these exist please list and explain them.
20. Using factual data and information, is Meta Knight a more difficult opponent to defeat with items turned on or off (to include all settings of high medium and low)? Please explain in detail.

Please answer all of the following questions, keeping in mind that no one person is expected to answer them all. I am expecting multiple experts to dissect and answer the questions they are best qualified for until all of them have thorough and concise responses. Thank you.

Notice: Metagaming is a broad term usually used to define any strategy, action or method used in a game which transcends a prescribed ruleset, uses external factors to affect the game, or goes beyond the supposed limits or environment set by the game.
In simple terms, using out-of-game information, or resources, to affect one's in-game decisions.

Megaflareon

Smash Rookie
Items aren't used when determining Metagame. In order to maintain the skill factor, they need to eliminate as much luck based phenomenon as possible. Also, Meta Knight is fast, and can outrun most people to items. Those who can beat him to items generally aren't problems in the first place. Meta Knight is godly at camping due to his jumps, glides, and priority so most items generally aren't threats to him.

However, I'm not very knowledgeable in Brawl, so I can't answer your questions in detail, so hopefully someone who knows more about it than I do can go more into detail on the matters.

Terios the Hedgehog

Smash Hero
....what the **** is this crap? ):<

I'm just messing with you bro. The thing is we don't use items in competitive play. You have to use a characters natural ability to counter MK.

SuSa

Banned via Administration
14,16, 17, and 18 are probably the only legit questions for competitive play. Sorry to break it to you....

1-12 all contain items
13 contains a banned stage + items
19 is sorta legit.... but at the same time isn't
20 has the same item problem

Nestec

Smash Ace
Not gonna lie, his questions remind me of some kinda topic-analysis worksheet from school.

Lord Chair

Smash Master
14,16, 17, and 18 are probably the only legit questions for competitive play. Sorry to break it to you....

1-12 all contain items
13 contains a banned stage + items
19 is sorta legit.... but at the same time isn't
20 has the same item problem
How can you possibly take this seriously in the first place. Lock this obvious troll thread and get it over with, don't go and reply in all seriousness :/

SuSa

Banned via Administration
Until this is proven to be a troll, I sort of have to take this seriously. It could just be a scrub.... those exist to.

Also I don't have locking powers in this forum. Report it to a higher up if you really think it should be closed.

Eternal Yoshi

I've covered ban wars, you know
NNID
EternalYoshi
3DS FC
3394-4459-7089
Fun Fact: Did you know that MK's transcendent priority means he can avoid damage when swatting away items?

I managed to destroy a Bob-omb without any damage with him.

j0s3ph

Smash Apprentice
12. A party ball container has just opened in the middle of Final Destination. The two opposing players are Meta Knight and Marth whom both are on opposing ends of the level. Several Homerun bats fall from the sky available to either character to abuse at will. Keep in mind that both characters can rush in for the items, or chose to ignore them and use a different strategy all together. In the following scenario, please explain who has the advantage, and why.
Marth's running speed is 11.74 MPH. Meta Knight's running speed is 12.7 MPH. Therefore, we can conclude that:
M=11.74 MK=12.7
M/MK=K
11.74/12.7=0.92
K=0.92

We then must multiply K by Captain Falcon's awesomeness:
K*A
0.92*9001

Which we will plug into the Pokemon catch rate formula:
2^8-1
=32.47

Therefore, there is a 32.47% chance that Marth has the advantage in this situation. It's just simple math, really.

Nestec

Smash Ace
Captain Falcon's awesomeness cannot be measured in numbers, you blob.

KSUkid

Smash Apprentice
Until this is proven to be a troll, I sort of have to take this seriously. It could just be a scrub.... those exist to.

Also I don't have locking powers in this forum. Report it to a higher up if you really think it should be closed.
You would be correct in thinking it isn't a troll thread. He was referred from Gfaqs because we were sick of arguing with him. :/

Just give him the answers he wants and we'll all be happy.

Suntan Luigi

Smash Lord
Brawl has been out for more than a year, and the Brawl community has been split on the issue of Metaknight for just about the same amount of time. If I were you, I'd go and peruse the MK banning threads to see what kinds of ideas you can find.

yelocakeffect

Smash Rookie
Brawl has been out for more than a year, and the Brawl community has been split on the issue of Metaknight for just about the same amount of time. If I were you, I'd go and peruse the MK banning threads to see what kinds of ideas you can find.
Thanks, I'll be sure to do that. I'll just move the topic, but I did want to avoid bias in the answers. :)

Rapid_Assassin

Smash Master
Metaknight is one of the best characters for using items in the game. He runs faster than most of the cast, so he can get to a desirable item or away from an undesirable item faster than most characters can. All characters can use b moves when holding an item. Metaknight's b moves are some of the best in the game, especially for the purpose of spamming to look for an opening to use the item. For many characters, Z drop and/or throwing an item and using an aerial to recatch it and hit the opponent are also very good options in an items match, and since MK has one of the best overall aerial games in this game, he's one of the best for this purpose too. So putting items on will not nerf MK, but most likely make him stronger.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
What Emmy said.

With items, MK becomes the best character by far.

Top Bottom