• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Puzzle League/Panel De Pon General (Former SSB4 Lip Support Thread)

TCRhade

Smash Champion
NNID
TabuuForte
Hohohoo, indeed. Dual Sticks out! I dunno if she'd use it that similarly in her attacks (I bet they'll be more like plant-based).

On the other hand, I was feeling lately on thinking about quitting straight if Lip's Stick would be shown. But I guess maybe not.

Yeah, I completely understand what you mean there, fella. I felt the same about K. Rool and quitting if evidence against his playability was shown, but meh. I still gave Brawl a chance even without Lip and will still do so with this one as well. :)

Groose

Smash Champion
I'm a fan of Puzzle League. I own perhaps three games in the series, and I always have thought that they're as good as Tetris.

That said, I've never even heard of Lip outside of Smash.

This is regrettable. I can't support a character I've never really even seen, but I think it would be a pleasent surprise if she were to get in.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
Well the thing to remember about Lip and the other fairies is that they're almost exclusive to Japanese games. This includes Panel de Pon, the pseudo-sequel on Nintendo Puzzle Collection, and little cameos here and there like a bonus skin in Panel de Pon DS (Planet Puzzle League), Super Smash Bros. series, and Captain Rainbow.

TCRhade

Smash Champion
NNID
TabuuForte
And Lip has only been the main character once, I know her game spawned a whole series, but she's technically only mained in one game.

Sinn

Smash Lord
And Lip has only been the main character once, I know her game spawned a whole series, but she's technically only mained in one game.
Yeah, but it's kinda like how Marth was the original Fire Emblem protagonist. Because of that, I think he's got some extra clout when it comes to inclusion and representation (though I realize at this point Marth has starred in more than one game).

Now that I think about it, it's specifically Lip's weapon, theme and garbage block that are in Smash already, not any other Panel de Pon character. Someone over there sure seems to like her.

Misto-Roboto

BRoomer
BRoomer
NNID
MistoRoboto
3DS FC
3780-9079-0504
Switch FC
3912-9000-6921
She is the catalyst for the second one. Her daughter stars in the second Panel de Pon game that debuted on Nintendo Puzzle Collection. Furil was more or less Lip but designed ever so slightly different.

tirkaro

Smash Champion
We're far too overdue for Lip in these games.
C'mon, she reps an unrepresented franchise, if not genre, has insane potential for a 100% unique moveset that nobody else could deliver, and fills the quota for some much-needed female representation. What is there not to love?
It's about time they stop teasing us with these cute little nods and go all the way with making her fully playable, the NoA staff can get smacked for all I care.

TCRhade

Smash Champion
NNID
TabuuForte
We're far too overdue for Lip in these games.
C'mon, she reps an unrepresented franchise, if not genre, has insane potential for a 100% unique moveset that nobody else could deliver, and fills the quota for some much-needed female representation. What is there not to love?
It's about time they stop teasing us with these cute little nods and go all the way with making her fully playable, the NoA staff can get smacked for all I care.

This is the best post I've seen in this thread so far. Lip would be proud.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Used Google translate to understand the moveset in the picture.

From top to bottom:
パネル - Panel
リップステッキ - Lip's Stick
ワタボウ- Translated as"Stick to Cotton". Dunno what it means.
おじゃまパネル - Ojama Panel
パネルでポン - Panel de Pon

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
Hehehe, that's from Dr.Warui from Pixiv. He also made movesets for Little Mac and Takamaru. A BIG fan of Captain Rainbow, BTW.

Anyway, I think I can crack already what he's meaning here:

- Stick To Cotton = Stick and Cotton? I guess he refers to Watabou because of the latter word.

- Panel = Panel Throw (the same deal we usually think as a projectile for Lip)

- Lip's Stick = obvious?

- Ojama Panel = I THINK must be the Garbage Block. (Due being Down B).

And Panel De Pon must be final Smash.

You know, it suprises me that every of us knowing or supporting Lip seems to have mostly the same idea how Lip would play like in Smash. For being a character from a puzzle game.

So why not still playable? What gives?

EDIT: Might throw this out too from one of his batches:

(Source)

Kapus

Smash Ace
NNID
Kaplus4
3DS FC
3626-0411-0921
That is super cute. Always nice to see some fanart like that hanging around.

That aside, "Panel De Pon" is a very...vague final smash. I wonder what he had in mind.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
Panel de Pon is probably referring to the Final Smash essencially function like a Panel de Pon game, where you can swap and drop blocks similar to the Puzzle League games.

Just a guest though, it's pretty vague otherwise.

SchAlternate

Smash Master
NNID
SchAlternate
Switch FC
SW-4691-2422-5427
Ehhh... not quite. We don't necessarily need the character, since either way the quality of the game is not going to be hampered. The inclusion still would be rather nice.
We can say that about a lot of characters, really. But still, it'd be great if she made it in.

jaytalks

Smash Champion
NNID
jaytalks
Lip would be my choice for a retro add over choices like Mach Rider and Takamaru. She would also be the one who would able to get the best out of Pit like redesign in Smash 4.

Moveset: (I think the shapes depicted in the blocks should be seen, but not the squares themselves)
Neutral: Heart Attack
Using her Lip's stick, Lip hits her opponent with a close range heart. It doesn't have knockback, but stuns the opponent.
Side Special: Diamond Crusher
Lip holds her Lip's stick above her shoulder, allowing her to charge the move. She unleashes a barrage of diamonds at her opponent, with more diamonds depending on how much the move was chrage
Up Special: Star Burst
She spins her Lip's Stick around her (from top to bottom, rather horizontally), giving her a recover boost.
Down Special: Triangle Trap.
She hits a triangle below her, leaving behind a trap. The trap hurts anyone who steps on it.

Final Smash: The Puzzle League
Blocks fall down at increasing speeds. When they hit the ground, they use the corresponding effect her specials (with knockback).

APC99

Smash Master
NNID
APC-99
3DS FC
3840-8265-8211
Supporting Lip! I think it would be cool if every attack inflicted the Lip's Stick onto the opponent and her Final Smash depended on such damage.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
True, maybe it would just depend on if the opponent had a flower on their head or something, which would inflict MAXIMUM damage.
Yeah maybe Lip can be fighter whose attacks are really weak, but are complemented by the effects of the Lip Stick.
She probably would have low knockback in every attack.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
With a character like Lip, there isn't anything absolutely definitive. Which is actually a benefit in a sense, with more liberties there is an easier time thinking of something compelling.

Tepig2000

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2938-8785-9936
I really like the idea of Lip as a playable character. It would be really cool to play Panel De Pon in her Final Smash. I'm a supporter! :)

Tepig2000

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2938-8785-9936
I really like the idea of Lip as a playable character. It would be really cool to play Panel De Pon in her Final Smash. I'm a supporter! :)

Oops, I accidentally posted the same message two times. Sorry.

jaytalks

Smash Champion
NNID
jaytalks
This is something I've been considering, especially since she is up for rate their chances next.

Is Lip even a retro character? For me, a retro character is more about the franchise being retro than the platform the character has been released on. Ness isn't retro because he was added in Melee and his franchise received N64 development and a GBA iteration. The Panel de Pon franchise has been alive and kicking. The larger Puzzle League franchise has kept receiving iterations, including a western exclusive, while Panel de Pon has been a part of puzzle collections on the GC and GBA. With the GC game featuring an enhanced remake that seems to be a sequel. And then there's Panel de Pon DS.

So what does everyone think? And does her status as not a retro character (if you think that's the case) hurt of help her chances?

Hong

The Strongest
She still feels like one...

I mean, she has only had one real adventure, hasn't she? I haven't played all the later releases, but she feels more like she is there in name and image, but not spirit. Well, I guess that is all just my opinion. For all technicalities, she is still around, though no one ever thinks about her modern appearances when they think about her character.

Anyway, I am not sure why I have not posted in this topic. I absolutely love this series... possibly my favourite SNES game. I still try to play it at least once every day. I even tried playing the game through a wrist injury (it was very slow and painful, ha ha) Seren is my favourite of the fairies, and I would love if she appeared and began to laugh while summoning blocks as an assist trophy. Also include her stage theme, please.

I don't see a future with Lip as a playable character, and she isn't my favourite fairy, but I would be absolutely DELIGHTED.

Edit - I also just want to throw out there that I have personally expressed my distaste for the treatment of this series to both Nintendo of America and Japan. The way they butchered out all the charm from the game during localization is absolutely disgusting. :[ Not only that, but PnPDS is so SLOW and the sound effects are awful. I gave them another textual tongue lashing for that as well.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
She still feels like one...

I mean, she has only had one real adventure, hasn't she? I haven't played all the later releases, but she feels more like she is there in name and image, but not spirit. Well, I guess that is all just my opinion. For all technicalities, she is still around, though no one ever thinks about her modern appearances when they think about her character.

Anyway, I am not sure why I have not posted in this topic. I absolutely love this series... possibly my favourite SNES game. I still try to play it at least once every day. I even tried playing the game through a wrist injury (it was very slow and painful, ha ha) Seren is my favourite of the fairies, and I would love if she appeared and began to laugh while summoning blocks as an assist trophy. Also include her stage theme, please.

I don't see a future with Lip as a playable character, and she isn't my favourite fairy, but I would be absolutely DELIGHTED.

Edit - I also just want to throw out there that I have personally expressed my distaste for the treatment of this series to both Nintendo of America and Japan. The way they butchered out all the charm from the game during localization is absolutely disgusting. :[ Not only that, but PnPDS is so SLOW and the sound effects are awful. I gave them another textual tongue lashing for that as well.

Woahoah, we have a true fan here people.

I personally don't think she really is, but I can't deny she also might fall there. Maybe she walks inbetween, or is in her own category?

I still think that Nintendo and I.S managed to destroy a good puzzle game series with localization issues, which now lead to this "identity crisis" that is plaguing the series. I think the it would be best if the series were given a reboot (at least in a way of going back to the start and try again with the original cast. Perhaps throw in Yoshi and pals for good marging and better marketing.)

Since Dojo seems to not update us so far about existing items from last games, it might be more bearable to keep on waiting if she might be suprisingly in.

Kapus

Smash Ace
NNID
Kaplus4
3DS FC
3626-0411-0921
Very nice, Hong! Always glad to see another dedicated fan.

Elias is my personal favorite of the fairy group, but having Selene appear as an assist trophy would be quite comical, with her vain laughter. I'm also a huge fan of her stage theme (one of my favorites in the original game) and would love for it to make an appearance. Sala's version on the GCN was also really cool. Perhaps a mashup of the SNES theme and the GCN theme?

Hong

The Strongest
I am surprised Nintendo hasn't given it a proper envisioning on the 3DS.

Panel de Pon is the PERFECT kind of game for the mobile generation of gamers, especially Japan. A simple-to-understand puzzle game that is only as hard as you want it to be. Cute, colourful, satisfying. Gamers are more diverse than ever; I think it would be best to represent the classic aesthetic to try and appeal to the audience that has been bringing in Nintendo the most money as of late.

As strange as it might sound, I would have Monolith Soft handle the presentation side of things. They have the right staff for it, and it really shows with the work they did for Animal Crossing: New Leaf. It is disgustingly cute and charming, but also really cool and intriguing. I was really upset with how Puzzle League DS was so slow (even on the hardest difficulty), the aesthetics were lifeless and the satisfying popping sound was gone. Ideally it should be slow by default, but I would have liked if experts would have the option of more intense play.

At the very least I would like if they could try another small release. Get a small staff, get a wider range of opinion and the right people leading the project. A few single player modes, release it for $5-10 or something. See how it goes. If they are more confident, they could go for a full release with story mode, multiplayer and all kinds of nice goodies. The only way it could go bad is if they don't market it properly. I have been able to get just about anyone young and old to play the original and enjoy it.

Kapus

Smash Ace
NNID
Kaplus4
3DS FC
3626-0411-0921
Planet Puzzle League is rather baffling, yes. I could understand the previous Puzzle League releases that replaced Lip and her friends with Pokemon characters and the like, as they didn't think the cutesy theme would sell very well (and pokemon was super popular and marketable), but why remove the theme and characters entirely? It leaves the game feeling really bland and bare-bones. I know Lip's stage is unlockable in the JP version of the game, but that's just not enough...

Regardless, I would be super happy with a Panel De Pon reboot on the 3DS. Heck, even if it was just a remake of the original game with the same story and everything, I'd still be excited.

Tetra's Tracker

Smash Journeyman
Planet Puzzle League is rather baffling, yes. I could understand the previous Puzzle League releases that replaced Lip and her friends with Pokemon characters and the like, as they didn't think the cutesy theme would sell very well (and pokemon was super popular and marketable), but why remove the theme and characters entirely? It leaves the game feeling really bland and bare-bones. I know Lip's stage is unlockable in the JP version of the game, but that's just not enough...

Regardless, I would be super happy with a Panel De Pon reboot on the 3DS. Heck, even if it was just a remake of the original game with the same story and everything, I'd still be excited.
I think removed theme and characters from Planet Puzzle League because it was marketed at the more casual 'adult' audience, they were aiming at a completely different demographic to the one they were aiming for with Tetris Attack and the Pokemon editions. Puzzle games seem to be aimed at the more casual audience these days, puzzlers with characters seem to be dying out.

Tetra's Tracker

Smash Journeyman
That does sound plausible...and extremely disappointing.
Puzzle League is a big Nintendo series, probably their premier puzzle series (hence why I think Lip should be in the game), but the future of the series is worrying. If somehow we got a new entry in the series with Lip and co again then that would be incredible. As a Yoshi fan a 'Tetris Attack 2' would be fantastic too, even another Pokemon Puzzle League would be great. However I can see the future of the series going in the direction of Planet Puzzle League with their being no real theme or characters, just bland and neutral. Casual games that people who aren't really into video games can just pick up and play to kill a few minutes is a growing trend, a big number of those games are puzzle games. It makes sense for Nintendo to market Puzzle League at those sort of people with a game like Planet Puzzle League than at a Nintendo fan with a game like Panel de Pon or Tetris Attack.

Sorry to be pessimistic.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
It's kind of funny because Panel de Pon could of easily been the direct competitor of the Puyo Puyo series by virtue of sharing similar concepts. Both are puzzle games that have a focus on original characters and colorful graphics.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
It's kind of funny because Panel de Pon could of easily been the direct competitor of the Puyo Puyo series by virtue of sharing similar concepts. Both are puzzle games that have a focus on original characters and colorful graphics.

On some flipside, Puyo Puyo is pretty much as inaccessible and only core-gamer cult series outerstates despite enjoying a huge amount of success in Japan. I guess a reverse win for SEGA in means of competing with a puzzle franchises with Nintendo.

TetraTrackers: Sounds pretty saddening there. I guess I'd be as neutral if that happened: at least the series keep on going (who knows how) but character-wise it'd be dead to me.

Kapus

Smash Ace
NNID
Kaplus4
3DS FC
3626-0411-0921
Found this earlier. Someone made mock up Smash art for Lip. I thought it was interesting, with the added details to the dress and boots. Her bow is also longer!

DRM4R10

Smash Apprentice
Found this earlier. Someone made mock up Smash art for Lip. I thought it was interesting, with the added details to the dress and boots. Her bow is also longer!

That art looks really good, but I think it makes Lip look like a teen rather than a kid. You know like this:

But she has her daughter furil, so they could make her as an adult? I dunno lol.

Well anyways, I want Lip in SSB4 because Puzzle league is my favourite puzzle game along with Dr. Mario (HERP DERP HENCE THE USERNAME DERP).
I wish both can get it, but I'd still be pretty happy if one of them are in. I can think of a moveset for lip and hopefully will post it in the future.
:)

DRM4R10

Smash Apprentice
I don't like Lip looking that short, perhaps make her more teen, she looks better with long legs.
I didn't specifically meant height, her face also looks like an adolescent's. But her legs look too long in that one. Look at her game sprites: http://www.spriters-resource.com/resources/sheets/18/19504.png With the exception of the sprite that looks like the official artwork, Lip's legs are normally short. I dunno but I think she looks better with shorter legs as I'm used to her like that. Her arms are also really long compared to PDP lip.

but whatever, I'm not gonna cry if we get Lip like the one in the pic above.

Top Bottom