• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A thread ASK QUESTIONS HERE.

Aurasmash14

Smash Lord
* has been brainwashed*

In the name of teh Flame!!!11one! " *bows head*

so like, Falco can Dacus tech straight out of laser spam now. does this sound bad or what?

Kitamerby

Smash Hero
* has been brainwashed*

In the name of teh Flame!!!11one! " *bows head*

so like, Falco can Dacus tech straight out of laser spam now. does this sound bad or what?
He could do it before. The only difference now is he can go farther if he's practiced enough.

Milln

Smash Champion
From an older Lucario that plays slightly differently than all the new Lucario players and that doesn't care about Brawl's new metagame because he plays Brawl+, BlazBlue, and Stardust:

Final Destination: Big, yet small. Flat-sorta. Great wall-cling spot. Easy to ExtremeHog

Battlefield: It's alright at most. Platforms can be utilted or usmashed through and are easy to short hop pressure. Can ledgedrop and walljump to recover with back air, but no one will ever do this.

Frigate Orpheon: The stage flip gimps lots of recoveries, but never Lucario's. I've had many impossible recoveries on this stage, but that might because i'm Milln and I know how to use ExtremeSpeed.

Smashville: A great neutral. The platform gives him needed reprieve from assault or recovering. Small, but not too small so he can provide the spacing for his lengthy attacks.

Rainbow Cruise: Great, bendable recovery and great aerials. Of course it's a good stage for him.

Japes and Norfair: For the exact same reason. ExtremeSpeed to any ledge from anywhere.

Those are the ones that leap to mind.

Zekeishere

Smash Ace
So hello everyone. I'm a G&W main, but I cannot stand Diddy.

So today, I realized, I greatly enjoy playing with lucario. So I played my friend, a diddy player, and I played a lot better against him with Lucario. Not because he doesn't know how to fight against lucario, because he does, but yeah..

Annnnnnnnnyways, I just have a couple of questions and stuff.

What's the match up ratio?

Any fun tricks against them?

I mostly stay with in reaction range, ON the ground, (I have like no air game) XD

Any general advice?

Link to the Diddy MU thread?

phi1ny3

Not the Mama
The ratio to us is 50:50 by popular vote. That's generally better than a lot of characters though lol, if you want to put it that way.

Lucario's got a few banana tricks, but generally it's better to just throw them up/away/play keep away with them. AS if you time it juuust right goes through Diddy's banana and he's forced to eat it while glidetossing. He has some okay regular glidetoss action, and has a JC toss to compensate for a lack of forward glidetoss.

Ground's okay, but you're not going to pick up bananas too well unless you get them in the air after PS. Plus some of lucario's aerials are really, really good for edgeguarding Diddy.

Don't die?

It's old, but I'm currently working on exports, but the Diddy rediscussion is in this thread:
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=221578&page=199

Beware, there was an iteration where people got stuck on the same subject (SDI) lol.

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
Well my question does have some relation to the Pit v Lucario matchup. Could I get the names of some good Lucario players with some good matchup experience? I wish to have the experienced Lucario's point-of-view of the matchup so I can get this matchup for my matchup document and all done. Also, more than 1 Lucario would help me out more.
You can contact me on AIM or in PM here. Thanks in advance.

phi1ny3

Not the Mama
I've only played an okay ledgecamping pit. I have yet to play Sagemoon, who's in my area. One thing I've learned is that fair > arrows, it makes Lucario's ability to recover in the MU a looooot higher, since it's a faster option than ADing through them.

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
Well, long story short, I need the Pit-experienced at least decent or good Lucario players to contact me as said before. If they got AIM where they can freely contact me (for MSN, well, PM me for that first), I'll be sending em a document showing matchups, and I kinda have a format on how to do this. At least 1 or 2 good Lucario players (with the Pit experience of course) would be appreciated for this.

Again, PM me if you don't have AIM or, if you have MSN, PM me for that. I'll give the specific Lucario players with Pit experience the stuff, and I'll will appreciate their help for helping me reach my goal; to get all Pit matchups done, and don't worry. You'll definitely get your credit for contributing. Thanks again.

Zucco

Smash Master
How Ironic. Im heading to NE this weekend and Koolaid is gonna be at the tourney. I have no idea how to fight pit so im gonna theory craft so hard before I go in!

phi1ny3

Not the Mama
Just know that their uair outranges dair, but we have mobility advantage.

Take advantage also that all of his aerials have land lag pretty much.

Zucco

Smash Master
alright. I just read the export which did give me an idea of what to do and how things work. I beat Fatal the last time I was there, so I know I can do this if I play my best. Maybe ill get lucky and he'll trip into something stupid. gotta love when that happens.

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
Well I guess I can help out a bit and mention that you should watch out for Pit's own quick string of attacks (almost all of his attacks, cept F-tilt and F-air come out quickly, especially U-tilt at frame 2, though that hitbox is very small), and his edgeguarding/gimping ability. Yes, you can use F-air to destroy incoming arrows with your priority, but still be careful of Pit's good gimping, and you already know that Up-B is highly vulnerable to edgehogs.
And use Aura Sphere sparingly, especially when at 100%+, because if he reflects it during that time, when your Aura makes you stronger, you're pretty much done for. Note that Mirror Shield's reflecting allows the projectile being sent back to travel at a faster speed than the angel ring reflector does.

phi1ny3

Not the Mama
UpB vulnerable? Of course it is, if we aim it in, we die lol.

That's why good Lucarios have learned to only aim for the ledge if they're sure they'll make it. Lucario's tools for getting back are also really, really good, as long as he doesn't use them horribly.

I see it as pretty even as far as I've seen from playing against some Pits.

phi1ny3

Not the Mama
Me too, I'm still itching to get this consistently down too, but I haven't got it down yet:
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/6YqyRnFHlSQ&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/6YqyRnFHlSQ&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Milln

Smash Champion
Just to be argumentative. It's early morning, some of this may be taken in a condescending tone. Excuse me. It's meant as nonchalant.

and his edgeguarding/gimping ability. Yes, you can use F-air to destroy incoming arrows with your priority, but still be careful of Pit's good gimping, and you already know that Up-B is highly vulnerable to edgehogs.
No Lucario main that knows ExtremeSpeed will go for the ledge if you're near it. They'll go for the wall cling if the stage is applicable or they'll go for on stage, but pass near the ledge so that if you -don't- hog it, we'll snap to it anyway because of Lucario extremely large ledgesnap area. Gimping a Lucario's UpB is more the Lucario main making a poor decision rather than his opponent having superior gimping skills.

As for gimping: it's been a while since I actually did some testing but I don't remember much of Pit's moves being extraordinary enough that a Lucario can't use his brain and hit you first with fair or bair while you're trying to keep him offstage. Oh no, you're going to Bair me. Fast Fall Forward-Air to hit you first or get out of there, then jump+Uair or bair > Ledge.

And use Aura Sphere sparingly, especially when at 100%+, because if he reflects it during that time, when your Aura makes you stronger, you're pretty much done for. Note that Mirror Shield's reflecting allows the projectile being sent back to travel at a faster speed than the angel ring reflector does.
We know what Mirror Shield and Angel Ring do. Who cares? What the Lucario should do is, instead of not using one of his best moves simply because you might send it back at us, is shoot it with the assumption that you're going to react and reflect it. This means Reverse Double Teaming it or shielding. Or just carrying a Nearly Full Sphere/WaveguidingorwhateverIcalleditthatnooneevenremembersthetechniqueanymore to play with your head with all of its shenanigans. Or, alternatively, shoot in a situation where you cannot reflect (i.e. when you're teching) or when the reflection is of no consequence (i.e. you're offstage or the Lucario is changing his vertical placement) to the Luc player.

Browny

Smash Hater
Theres no way you can fire an FCAS, have it reflected and DT from close enough such that the DT will hit, you'll be hit before you can do anything. If you must do it from medium-close range, just brace for a massive shield hit or jump away, dodging is always too risky lol.

Also I'm sure an FCAS aimed at pit while hes landing, if you predict he will mirror shield while falling, will be able to hit him without getting reflected since you just chuck that massive hitbox below him and let his feet fall into it from above.

IceDX

Smash Ace
NNID
TheIceDX001
Theres no way you can fire an FCAS, have it reflected and DT from close enough such that the DT will hit, you'll be hit before you can do anything. If you must do it from medium-close range, just brace for a massive shield hit or jump away, dodging is always too risky lol.

Also I'm sure an FCAS aimed at pit while hes landing, if you predict he will mirror shield while falling, will be able to hit him without getting reflected since you just chuck that massive hitbox below him and let his feet fall into it from above.
i think Milln just mentioned what you could do if ur AS gets reflected, and the reverse DT isnt ment to hit is only to get closer or surprise pit....

Milln

Smash Champion
I think you're right. Either that or he'll super armor it and take the hit, but it won't be turned around.

i think Milln just mentioned what you could do if ur AS gets reflected, and the reverse DT isnt ment to hit is only to get closer or surprise pit....
Ice gets me. RDT is for surprise distance covering, never to hit the opponent.

hichez50

Smash Lord
NNID
Player-00
3DS FC
2122-6108-1245
We should remake the lucario playstyle theard. It would be a nice little project since we have the match-up done and nothing has changed drastically since.

phi1ny3

Not the Mama
Against MK:
Don't approach, unless you really have to.

Against people you do have to approach:
You're not spacing right/mixing it up enough, try some bair or empty Short hop stuff.

Fizzle_Boy

Smash Ace
Approaching with B-air? Do you mean fair>bair or a retreating SHbair. I'll admit both are situationally useful, but they can often be risky or ineffective. I prefer a retreating Bair (because Fair>Nair is a safer alternative to Fair>Bair), but using that isn't really approaching is it?

HyperEnergy

Smash Journeyman
Try landing behind him using an air dodge (to prevent getting hit by a grounded shuttle loop) or use Aura Sphere from mid range to make him approach you.

AuraMaster

Smash Rookie
When I play toon link all they do is stay at a 45 degree angle and throw bombs and its boomerang and it's really annoying. Can someone help me?

Top Bottom