• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

| | [Qld CoK Thread] - Smash Talking's etc | |

Status
Not open for further replies.

NG7

Smash Lord
Was a great day. Got to play lots of Brawl.

Not.

Kas do you even have your phone anymore?

Sloth

Smash Ace
Hey!

I have a question for Scrubs. What are you up to on the 2nd/3rd or 4th of May?
Cuz if your interested I think we should hook up (no kissing btw) and discuss forming a QLD ruleset/talk about starting biweeklies/triweeklies/next tournament or whatever else we want to kick start the QLD scene.

And the same goes anyone else who actually cares and wants to be a part in organizing the brawl scene.

Sirias

Smash Champion
They're implants!
... lulwaitwut?

Brawl for lose I'm over it again.
Michael is right, I have a love-hate relationship with Brawl. First I hate it for ages, then like it a tiny bit... then hate it for 50x longer than I did when I liked it. c:

Micky Mouse agrees with my implants~

NG7

Smash Lord
Alright guys.

It is time Queensland started smashing again.

If you remember Lansmash, i've been talking to one of the guys on their team about a few things.

First of all they told me about their next Lansmash, which is on the 24th/25th of may. JB said he'd love for us to be there. Now, this WON'T be as big as Lansmash: Arena, but the QLD scene's been too quiet lately, and i'm not about to let those Melbournef@gs go around claiming that they're the smash capital of AU without us trying. This'll be a good restart for our scene if we can make it. Who's free?

Now for the bigger news. JB also mentioned Gencon Oz. Here's some info about Gencon for those who haven't heard about it.

Gencon Website said:
Gen Con™ is many things to many people. Gen Con™ is a trade show, a social gathering, and place to learn about the latest releases. It s a place to learn new games systems, and even to partake in fierce competitions and tournaments. Mostly though, Gen Con™ is about having FUN! Gen Con™ is a gaming convention which started in the USA approximately 40 years ago in Lake Geneva as a meeting between friends to play games. Today there are Gen Con™ events run throughout the world in Indianapolis (USA), California (USA), Paris (France), and the United Kingdom. Gen Con™ conventions attract over 100,000 attendees world wide, and play host to a large array of events including:

* Anime
* Art Shows
* Board Games
* Celebrity Appearances
* Collectible Cards
* Collectible Miniatures Games
* Computer & Console Games
* Costume Competitions
* Live Action Role Playing
* Miniature War Games
* Seminars
* Tabletop Role Playing Games
* Tournaments
* Workshops

The convention's focus is on the trade show aspect of the gaming industry and allows a wide range of gaming and related companies to show their wares to those in the industry as well as to the general public. Gen Con™ Australia aims to bring a new look to the market of gaming in Australia and is encouraging friends, family, and gamers alike to come along and get involved in a new hobby which bridges the generation gap, and has the potential to bring families together in a fun and participative way.

But Gen Con™ Australia is not just about the industry. Its about bringing gamers both new and experienced together under the one roof to enjoy four days of the best gaming in the Oceanic region. As a result, the Gen Con™ Australia team take the programming of its events seriously by organising a large variety of events including "learn to play" sessions, large scale tournaments, and stand alone events.
More info here: http://www.genconoz.com/

JB has started talking with Gencon staff already, and also talking to gametraders for prizes, but he really needs us to run the tournament. I've already told him that i'm interested.

Gencon is being run from the 3rd to the 6th of July and i assume the tourney will only be for 1 day. I know it's ages away, but July is perfect timing. Right after AU Brawl release.

Really i wanna see everyone here. I don't care if you thing Brawl is gay or if you've quit smash, just f*cking come you d!ckheads. Who can help out with this?

Sloth

Smash Ace
Omigod. Everyone sucks at everything now!
Peoples melee skill has been destroyed by brawl.
Peoples brawl skill doesn't have a giant gap cuz we all suck. So anything can happen.

Will be wtf random tournament tomorrow! I just hope to win Melee Teams!

Mr.100

Smash Cadet
Good stuuf Toai, I'd be willing to help but due to grade 12 being demanding my help will be limited.

Good to see that things are getting moving.

Sirias

Smash Champion
I'll go, I think.
Sigh for Brawl.
Melee is still better imo.
Just needs Wolf and it will be god. K...

Hope you placed well in Teams/Do good in Brawl, Bryce.

And Toai is still into the scene, eh? I didn't expect that.
But I guess it's 'cuz you're always busy.
Or missing out. :c

King Kong

Smash Lord
I'll go, I think.
Sigh for Brawl.
Melee is still better imo.
Just needs Wolf and it will be god. K...

Hope you placed well in Teams/Do good in Brawl, Bryce.

And Toai is still into the scene, eh? I didn't expect that.
But I guess it's 'cuz you're always busy.
Or missing out. :c
Lol. Melee was only good cos it was gimped. Whoever could play the cheapest won. Brawl is waaaaay more mindgame oriented, which suits me fine, although i havnt really even tried implementing them into my game yet.

peace out

Darkwing SykeDuk

Smash Dankist
I gimp people in brawl with my mindgames. Doing it in melee with tech skill is much easier and quicker. Brawl is just too slow, like tekken. The combo's have been downgraded so much now that there are just a few that work 80-90% of the time, so when people work that out it will just be waiting for an oppurtunity to pull off said combo's. Therefore it's become nothing more than another stale 2d fighter like sf/gg or t6. Actually T6 is more a 3D fighter like DOA cause of sidestepping etc.

Get that Rat

Smash Lord
If by mindgames you mean shield, and by sheild you mean camp, and by camp you mean wait till the opponent messes up, and by wait till the opponent messes up you mean bat yourself off while waiting, then yes. Brawl is totally mindgame oriented.

Shukudai

Smash Apprentice
whoa, t6 is waaay faster than brawl. whiff punish launch into half-life juggle into wakeup game much?

i agree with DK though, brawl's alllllright. skill in melee = shffl'd awesome good safe moves, skill in brawl = dominance in mindgaming.

Shukudai

Smash Apprentice
o-kay, i never said that, and i don't know why you're trying to insult me, so i'll explain my opinion. as a disclaimer, i dig melee as well. but anyway - brawl has more reliance on mindgaming, is all. to illustrate with an example... okay, the ability to "combo" in brawl is largely a matter of reading your opponent's dodges, where successive hits is usually baiting the opponent to dodge wrongly and hitting him before or after their dodge repeatedly. in melee the increased hitstun allowed for more braindead combos that were far more reliable, and definitely uninterruptible (read: opponent had much less they could do about it - no airdodges, only SDI and DI)

e.g. in melee :

link shieldgrab hookshot, grab hit, dthrow, utilt

a) opponent DI's behind, so you react and go "oh okay", shffl bair, dash A
b) opponent DI's forward, so you react and go "oh okay", shffl nair, dash A

after those, you watch the opponent, then canned tech chase with sh boomerang, shffl fair, or whip out a bomb for pressure, blah blah. Five or so hits, pretty reliable at low to low-mid %, more on space animals.

... these sections of "combo state" that exist in melee where you momentarily turn your brain off and let your muscles do the work; they simply don't exist in brawl, where every single situation represents an opportunity to counter your opponent's actions (for better or worse). Tech skill matters less in brawl, as there are less ATs, which is why it would be silly to make a blanket statement like "skill in brawl = tech skill", and truer to say "skill in brawl (read: winning, for example) = dominance in mindgaming".

Alright? i thought you were tryin to get more players into the scene, kid. Keep your tongue in check.

edit: ****, and you made me break my "do not feed the trolls" NY resolution. Successful troll was too successful. :(

NG7

Smash Lord
i thought you were tryin to get more players into the scene, kid.
He's not actually.

All he does lately on smashboards is come in and randomly whine about brawl like a k@sshole.

You know there's an official complaints thread?

Shukudai

Smash Apprentice
haha ohhhh my bad. that completely voids any strength my argument held :p shoot, i thought this was a queensland thread on a forum for enthusiastic SSBB players!

oh, and while i still remember - those dates you gave were around july, right? i prolly won't be in the country, but if for some reason i am, i'll come and help out i suppose :)

Darkwing SykeDuk

Smash Dankist
Your right, there is no tech skill in brawl, it's merely a game of rock paper scissors with flashy graphics. You only like it because it's Nintendo's version of tekken. You can air dodge in melee if you recover quick enough, like me, your obviously too slow. Btw, this a Qld "smash" thread, for smash discussion, not Qld Brawl Fan Service Only Discussion GTFO otherwise!! As for your 'combos' if anyone can get shield-grabbed by link you need to rethink whether u should be playing.

NG7

Smash Lord
As you can see Zac's template for arguing is:

"{Insert bull****}. You suck."

I can't be stuffed lol

Shukudai

Smash Apprentice
zac, you're wrong on so many levels.

"Your right, there is no tech skill in brawl,"
Less, i'd say. Not none.

"... it's merely a game of rock paper scissors with flashy graphics. You only like it because it's Nintendo's version of tekken."

Conversely, i moved to SSBB because T6 had too much "combo state" and "rock paper scissors"ing going on, where one guess lead to either winning losing an entire round. The constant state of flux in SSBB's gameplay, with back-and-forth mindgaming is more appealling to me.

"... You can air dodge in melee if you recover quick enough, like me, your obviously too slow."

You can't airdodge if you're still in hitstun. recovering is a static property determined by the game system (what move you got hit with and what part of the move you got hit with), not of player skill. The player can only determine a portion of trajectory.

"... Btw, this a Qld "smash" thread, for smash discussion, not Qld Brawl Fan Service Only Discussion GTFO otherwise!!"

What? i'm fine with discussing smash, i like smash, melee AND brawl are fun, but i ain't the one saying omg your shiiiiiiiit. Your attitude is messed up, man. Work it out.

"... As for your 'combos' if anyone can get shield-grabbed by link you need to rethink whether u should be playing."

Link has big grab range, not unfeasible. The fact that I can shieldgrab my opponents says nothing about whether or not i should be playing either, so I'd say you misunderstood me. Incidentally... who the fűck do you think you are, judging whether or not people should be playing...?

Grow up. GTR knows where it's at 8-)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom