• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Queen of the Underworld: Vote for Medusa's Homecoming Party!

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
I'm surprised how underrated she is by the Smash Community. I mean: Medusa is part of the franchise since the first game and that's why we definitely have to put her on the same level as Palutena. However: As Medusa is the main antagonist of the first game and plays an important role even if not as main villain in Kid Icarus: Uprising. If we consider Palutena representative for Kid Icarus, we can't say Medusa wouldn't be as representative. Medusa would also add something new to the roster and would be the first female villain.
In my eyes Medusa is even more likely than Palutena. The fact the Smash Community has a different approach to this just underlines the point Sakurai could surprise a few of us by adding Medusa instead of Palutena. As the Kid Icarus franchise is a small one, I can't imagine more than two characters. If only two characters: Why not the protagonist and a villain with such an importance like Medusa?

So after all, I would be absolutely fine if Medusa were in SSB4.

Btw: As Medusa supporters we can't let this topic disappear somewhere on the last pages of the character discussion forum ;)
I actually agree with all points that you've mentioned. She would however be a DLC, or could be added to the main roster of SSB5 if Kid Icarus is worthy of having 3 reps since we all know that Palutena might be in before her due to being the "Zelda" of Kid Icarus. I'm basically one of the few Kid Icarus fans that actually liked her character and she could have many unique (albeit Sakurai'd) attacks like dark pulses, eye lasers, snakes hair, and possibly having a half snake transformation (similar to her anime) for her crouching attack. In the end, fans would prefer more popular, but non reoccurring characters like Hades and *groan* Magnus over her. Sad, but true.

majora_787

Smash Hero
I wish people would look at series importance a little more than "what was cool int he newest game". I die inside a little bit whenever I see people think Magnus would be a better character in smash bros. than Medusa.

Kon

Smash Journeyman
I actually agree with all points that you've mentioned. She would however be a DLC, or could be added to the main roster of SSB5 if Kid Icarus is worthy of having 3 reps since we all know that Palutena might be in before her due to being the "Zelda" of Kid Icarus. I'm basically one of the few Kid Icarus fans that actually liked her character and she could have many unique (albeit Sakurai'd) attacks like dark pulses, eye lasers, snakes hair, and possibly having a half snake transformation (similar to her anime) for her crouching attack. In the end, fans would prefer more popular, but non reoccurring characters like Hades and *groan* Magnus over her. Sad, but true.
The "Zelda" of Kid Icarus? Well Medusa is near to the "Ganondorf" of Kid Icarus if you want to discuss the topic on this level.

People compare a "small" franchise like Kid Icarus to Legend of Zelda? Really? I guess for a long time there won't be more than 2 representative characters for Kid Icarus and that said, I see it more likely to get protagonist and antagonist instead of protagonist and some kind of sidekick of the protagonist. As Sakurai said(at least I have something like that still in mind): He's not yet thinking of DLCs and therefore he would have the choice between Palutena(a character we really don't know much about her abilities) or Medusa. Also Palutena is part of Pits final smash and therefore less likely than Medusa. Until now no characters that were somehow part of the moveset of someone were later on introduced as characters. Medusa however isn't part of any moveset, would be very unique, first female villain and well known to the fans of the Kid Icarus series.

That's my point of vue, so I would be more surprised if Palutena were confirmed for SSB4 than Medusa.

majora_787

Smash Hero
I wouldn't use Zelda as an analogy for Pit, Palutena, Medusa, and Hades. I'd actually use Fire Emblem.

We've got our hero protagonist, the local female monarch who may or may not be skilled in the art of war, the endgame looming threat, and the evil sorcerer or whatever that revives them. Like Marth, his sister, Gharnef, and Medeus. Is Gharnef the main antagonist of the Archanea games because he revived the final boss? Not quite. Sure he's actually important, but not in that way.

Hades is more like an awkward case where the evil sorcerer is just stronger than the final boss they summoned. That doesn't actually make them more series-important,

Kon

Smash Journeyman
I wouldn't use Zelda as an analogy for Pit, Palutena, Medusa, and Hades. I'd actually use Fire Emblem.

We've got our hero protagonist, the local female monarch who may or may not be skilled in the art of war, the endgame looming threat, and the evil sorcerer or whatever that revives them. Like Marth, his sister, Gharnef, and Medeus. Is Gharnef the main antagonist of the Archanea games because he revived the final boss? Not quite. Sure he's actually important, but not in that way.

Hades is more like an awkward case where the evil sorcerer is just stronger than the final boss they summoned. That doesn't actually make them more series-important,
I guess Fire Emblem isn't a good case neither as Marth is the character that stands in some way for the series, but isn't necessarily in every Fire Emblem game. (Pit until now was always the protagonist in every game)
Hades is the antagonist of Kid Icarus:Uprising without a question, but Medusa after all is more relevant for the series and as already said the main ennemy of the classic Kid Icarus game.

majora_787

Smash Hero
I guess I didn't mean so much the entire Fire Emblem series as I did most of the given subseries in Fire Emblem, like the Archanea games or the Tellius games.

I don't know, I thought it felt closer to the Kid Icarus situation than The Legend of Zelda.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
The "Zelda" of Kid Icarus? Well Medusa is near to the "Ganondorf" of Kid Icarus if you want to discuss the topic on this level.

People compare a "small" franchise like Kid Icarus to Legend of Zelda? Really? I guess for a long time there won't be more than 2 representative characters for Kid Icarus and that said, I see it more likely to get protagonist and antagonist instead of protagonist and some kind of sidekick of the protagonist. As Sakurai said(at least I have something like that still in mind): He's not yet thinking of DLCs and therefore he would have the choice between Palutena(a character we really don't know much about her abilities) or Medusa. Also Palutena is part of Pits final smash and therefore less likely than Medusa. Until now no characters that were somehow part of the moveset of someone were later on introduced as characters. Medusa however isn't part of any moveset, would be very unique, first female villain and well known to the fans of the Kid Icarus series.

That's my point of vue, so I would be more surprised if Palutena were confirmed for SSB4 than Medusa.
My bad. What I mean with the Zelda analogy is the fact that her name is in the Japanese titles of the games (Kagami no Parutena). Should have explained further.

Kon

Smash Journeyman
@R.O.B.
Ah, I see. Thanks for explaining. However Palutena should still be part of Pits moveset(final smash) if Sakurai weren't to change this one.

And Medusa has really good arguments for her inclusion too:
- importance in the series(being in all games until now, being the main villain in the first game and having a key role in Kid Icarus:Uprising too)
- female ("we need more females" thing you probably have seen already about 100 times here in smashboards)
- villain ("we need more villains" thing that may be less present than the female argument but still would be a point)
- offers enough for a very unique moveset and beside that she also looks very unique
and of course she would fit perfectly in the Smash style.

majora_787

Smash Hero
@R.O.B.
Ah, I see. Thanks for explaining. However Palutena should still be part of Pits moveset(final smash) if Sakurai weren't to change this one.

And Medusa has really good arguments for her inclusion too:
- importance in the series(being in all games until now, being the main villain in the first game and having a key role in Kid Icarus:Uprising too)
- female ("we need more females" thing you probably have seen already about 100 times here in smashboards)
- villain ("we need more villains" thing that may be less present than the female argument but still would be a point)
- offers enough for a very unique moveset and beside that she also looks very unique
and of course she would fit perfectly in the Smash style.
And while people may throw some of these things under the bus as not actually contributing to Smash or not valued by Sakurai, being the series antagonist is plenty of a reason for Medusa to be in the game. This is a game about crossovers and fanservice, and for Pit to be able to take on his original recurring nemesis is exactly the kind of thing Smash Bros. tries to allow.

And Medusa offers plenty of unique options both mechanically and visually that Palutena doesn't. Developers and players alike could say "Palutena would be like / basically is like Zelda" or whatever. That's not really an issue Medusa has.

Wii Twerk Trainer

Smash Ace
NNID
Wiifitgaypride69
I love Medusa's new look it's freakin sweet and deadly at the same time! I was really sad that sakurai decided to make her life short in uprising. She's an original iconic villain from Nintendo. She deserves representation at least.

Seeing as how being female matters to sakurai. Medusa has one thing over other females. Being an important villain. What other Nintendo female has that? Maybe some but they are probably too obscure.

I mean I know Palutena is probably gonna be in smash it's quite obvious but kid Icarus could definetly get 3 reps. I mean it's not sakurai creation they are from another person who's dead already and it would be a tribute to include his characters in smash 4. I mean I could understand him over representing if it was Viridi, Magnus, dark pit, hades, etc but it's not.

Pit
Palutena
Medusa

This would be perfect and I'm sure many people would be ecstatic to have two goddesses join the brawl and a female villain would stir up so much interest! :)

majora_787

Smash Hero
The only things I see worth noting are, Pit, Palutena, and Medusa are the three characters from uprising who actually represent the series. Everyone else from Uprising is a one-game character who were made by Sakurai for Uprising. And Sakurai doesn't particularly seem to like fluffing the roster with his own characters. Which is frine. But then we've got Palutena and Medusa.

+ Palutena is the more popular character.
+ Palutena was in the one US-exclusive Kid Icarus game, who knows how much Sakurai even cares about that though.
- Palutena as a sort of "princess", "goddess", and "light-based magic user" is kind of redundant conceptually when we have Zelda and Rosalina. That IN AND OF ITSELF is not a problem, but when you put it together with everything else, it adds up pretty heavily.
- Palutena has a role in the series as Pit's final smash. As much as I don't like using this evidence as a Ridley supporter, Ridley has had different roles throughout the smash series and Palutena hasn't. You can disregard that if you will. But it's something to note.
- Palutena isn't the best option for a crossover fighter of this nature, which I'll elaborate on in a moment.

- Medusa isn't as popular of a choice. She also wasn't in the second Kid Icarus game starring Pit, Palutena, and... Orcos. Yep. BUT...
+ She would be a more "surprising" reveal. Sakurai seems to like characters who are valid for their purpose on the roster, but are still surprising to build hype or interest in the game.
+ Medusa IS, Myths and Monsters or not, the classic 1980's antagonist of the Kid Icarus series. And even if she gets moved to being the first arc boss of Uprising, her status isn't removed. If it worked that way, Ganondorf would be cut for sure after being shafted by Malladus, Bellum, Yuga, and Demise in the last several zelda games.
+ Medusa would be, of course, our first dark magic character and female villain on the roster. Ganondorf just kind of punches things. That isn't magic. And being based off of Medusa (Wow really) and considering how she is in combat, she is capable of an in-character bizarre stunning and trapping game with bizarre projectiles to force opponents to be where she wants them to rack up damage and compensate for weaker melee attacks.
+ It basically comes down to a choice. Sakurai can work harder to make Palutena unique from the other characters who edge into the same niche as her on the roster AND make a new final smash for Pit on top of the one for Palutena. Or, he could provide a surprising major character as a close alternative who would take less effort to make unique from the rest of the roster.

I mean, I'm not Sakurai. But if I were and I had the choice between two major characters, I would pick the one people would be surprised to see and make them so good that people are happy to play them... instead of picking the character people expected and are happy to see, but isn't as different or interesting as they could be.

And what I meant on the subject of options for a crossover. When it comes down to it, fights like Mario vs Peach, Link vs Zelda, and Pit vs Palutena aren't the kinds of grudge matches people want from a crossover. People want to see Bowser finally beat Mario by teaming up with Ganondorf, or maybe Wolf and Wario beating the tar out of each other. Villains are good for this sort of thing and are a good contribution to a crossover environment. Especially if they're a classic and mean a lot to an older series.

TL;DR, I feel like Medusa is competing a lot more with Palutena than people think. A lot closer. It could go either way, but I think we'll definitely see one of the two at the very least. Or maybe we'll just get all three. That'd be pretty amazing too.

Koopaul

Smash Champion
The problem with Medusa is her dress. They'd have to change it. I mean look at how drags on the floor and such. She'd be tripping all over that dress!

jaytalks

Smash Champion
NNID
jaytalks
The problem with Medusa is her dress. They'd have to change it. I mean look at how drags on the floor and such. She'd be tripping all over that dress!
Tripping? She'd fit right in if she was in Brawl!

Hades' status as the big bad in Uprising doesnt really change Medusa's chane. People seem to forget that Wolf is just a mid boss to the real deal that is Andross.

Many NES fans grew up fearing Medusa, the same way that fans feared Ganon. That quality is something Hades will never have. My bet is that the competition for the KI rep (if there is another one) is between Medusa and Palutena.

Starbound

Worlds Apart, But Still Together.
As an avid Palutena supporter, I do think that Medusa is a close competitor with Palutena than many people realize, regardless of if they support Palutena, Hades, Viridi, etc. I do firmly believe that she's number 3, after Pit and Palutena (and I say this unbiased, as Palutena has much more of a presence in both the Kid Icarus games [the only non-Pit character to appear in all three games] and Brawl).

So Medusa doesn't end up being the big bad in Uprising. She's still the villain from 26 years ago that people remember from the NES. Even if she was defeated in Chapter 9 in a 25 chapter game, the game still was set into motion because she was the big bad. When you think of a Kid Icarus villain, you don't think of Hades. You think of Medusa. Medusa has a very important role in the Kid Icarus games once you look beyond 2012 (or whatever year it was when Uprising came out). I secretly die a little inside whenever someone suggests Viridi, Hades, and especially Magnus before Medusa.

I personally would find it difficult to support her inclusion if she got a placement instead of Palutena (to me, it'd be having Ganondorf in Smash Bros. before Zelda), but if Palutena makes it in, I can easily support Medusa for a possible third Kid Icarus spot.

Also, I don't think Japan considers Myths and Monsters a real Kid Icarus game, considering they never got it until /after/ Uprising (and I don't recall it getting any mentions in both Brawl and Uprising), so that may factor a bit into Medusa's overall importance to the series, as she's one of three (Pit and Palutena being the others) characters to appear in both the NES game and Uprising.

Erotic&Heretic

Smash Master
I definitely support Medusa. Now that Zelda is back (it was obvious, but still), she is the character I want the most.

She is classy, there's the "female villain" thing, her look is unique, she have a great voice acting, and she have moveset potential.
I see her as a heavyweight character (close to Ganondorf weight, I suppose), that can deal some good knockback, yet having a tricky play style, causing conditions like poisoning and turning people into stone, and teleporting of course (I realise I really like characters that can teleport). And she need her famous "spoiler uppercut". And her final smash is really obvious too.

About her dress, I don't think it's really a problem. Maybe she can float? After all, we don't see her walk. And this would be a good occasion to finally see her feets :troll:

She, with Palutena, are the two "2nd KI rep" competitor to me. Palutena is a more obvious choice (as I said in the Palutena topic, she is the only "obvious newcommer" to me.), but Medusa have clearly more potential as a unique fighter.

Wii Twerk Trainer

Smash Ace
NNID
Wiifitgaypride69
Okay between us Gamers. Would you guys actually be mad if kid Icarus got 3 reps? Sakurais says he's paying a tribute to its Original creator and puts

Pit
Palutena
Medusa

All unique and not clones.

Personally I would be screaming to the point of me passing out! I love kid Icarus!

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
As an avid Palutena supporter, I do think that Medusa is a close competitor with Palutena than many people realize, regardless of if they support Palutena, Hades, Viridi, etc. I do firmly believe that she's number 3, after Pit and Palutena (and I say this unbiased, as Palutena has much more of a presence in both the Kid Icarus games [the only non-Pit character to appear in all three games] and Brawl).

So Medusa doesn't end up being the big bad in Uprising. She's still the villain from 26 years ago that people remember from the NES. Even if she was defeated in Chapter 9 in a 25 chapter game, the game still was set into motion because she was the big bad. When you think of a Kid Icarus villain, you don't think of Hades. You think of Medusa. Medusa has a very important role in the Kid Icarus games once you look beyond 2012 (or whatever year it was when Uprising came out). I secretly die a little inside whenever someone suggests Viridi, Hades, and especially Magnus before Medusa.

I personally would find it difficult to support her inclusion if she got a placement instead of Palutena (to me, it'd be having Ganondorf in Smash Bros. before Zelda), but if Palutena makes it in, I can easily support Medusa for a possible third Kid Icarus spot.

Also, I don't think Japan considers Myths and Monsters a real Kid Icarus game, considering they never got it until /after/ Uprising (and I don't recall it getting any mentions in both Brawl and Uprising), so that may factor a bit into Medusa's overall importance to the series, as she's one of three (Pit and Palutena being the others) characters to appear in both the NES game and Uprising.
Beautiful, just beautiful. This is exactly what I've been trying to tell the Hades fanboys after the launch of Uprising. Whether he's more popular in Uprising or not, Medusa would ALWAYS have more superiority over the likes of him. You couldn't make a Medusa fan like myself even happier.

Erotic&Heretic

Smash Master
Okay between us Gamers. Would you guys actually be mad if kid Icarus got 3 reps? Sakurais says he's paying a tribute to its Original creator and puts

Pit
Palutena
Medusa

Personally I would be screaming to the point of me passing out! I love kid Icarus!
I have absolutely no problem with that, as I like Pit and Palutena and love Medusa (well, before Uprising, I didn't really liked Pit, probably because of his side-B). If the 3 characters are unique - and they really can be unique - it's a good thing. And I don't really think there is such thing as "too much character for a serie". If Zelda had 10 characters and every other series only 1, ok, but for now, there is no such problem. 5 Mario characters isn't too much, and we got 3 Starfox rep, which is a good and well known, yet quite small serie.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593

Pit
Palutena
Medusa

Even if the chances of this happening is low because of Sakurai's modesty shtick, I would ****ing love this to happen since two of them are my most wanted Kid Icarus reps, especially Medusa.

majora_787

Smash Hero

Pit
Palutena
Medusa

Just like when I talk about cuts in Star Fox, of course I'd way prefer we get Medusa AND Palutena. If we get both, that's even better for a crossover scenario. While Medusa is better for a grudge match with Pit, Medusa versus Palutena would definitely be a battle people would want to see. And I guess who knows. I mean Kirby got a sudden two characters thrown on abruptly. It doesn't seem as likely for Kid Icarus, but Sakurai.

And if people saying Magnus over Medusa bothers you, you'd be happy to know there are a number of people on Gamefaqs who want Pit's black Brawl palette swap as a separate playable character over Medusa.

HylianHeroBigBoss

Smash Lord
NNID
HylianHeroSnake
Id enjoy seeing medusa in this, it would be a nice change from all the predictions we have floating around. And id love to see her lined up with all the other villains in a stand off with the heroes.

majora_787

Smash Hero
This may seem a little out there, but while my interest in Medusa being playable comes from seeing serious match offs against characters like Ganondorf or Pit, I think it would be pretty hilarious to see such a relatively serious villain fighting a character like Chibi-Robo.

The magic of crossovers. It's a beautiful thing.

EDIT: Don't want to double post, but I figured it is somewhat worth noting that even with Uprising, Medusa is the most prominent antagonist in the game behind Hades, taking up the first solid third of the entire game before it gets rotated between Hades, Viridi, the Aurum, and the Chaos Kin. And we even got the animation Medusa's Revenge.

While she may have been overshadowed in the latest game by Hades in the grand scheme of things, it's pretty obvious she's not being completely brushed aside either.

Last edited:

Erotic&Heretic

Smash Master
Can I bump this thread? Can I? :awesome:

Just to make post that isn't just a bump, I'd like to point out something.

According to the Kid Icarus AR card database, the infamous 405 card would be "Medusa (rare)", and the description would be:

Hades reconstructs Medusa from countless souls woven around a core of pure hatred for Palutena. Oblivious to the true cause of her resurrection, Medusa sets out to take revenge and conquer the three worlds completely.

And I find it really interesting. It may only refer to the final battle though. And this information has yet to be confirmed.

AncientTobacco

Smash Lord
Can I bump this thread? Can I? :awesome:

Just to make post that isn't just a bump, I'd like to point out something.

According to the Kid Icarus AR card database, the infamous 405 card would be "Medusa (rare)", and the description would be:

Hades reconstructs Medusa from countless souls woven around a core of pure hatred for Palutena. Oblivious to the true cause of her resurrection, Medusa sets out to take revenge and conquer the three worlds completely.

And I find it really interesting. It may only refer to the final battle though. And this information has yet to be confirmed.
That's basically what Hades said in the game, isn't it?

"Add a pinch of memories to a ton of souls. Put them in a blender, and hit frappé!"

Erotic&Heretic

Smash Master
That's basically what Hades said in the game, isn't it?

"Add a pinch of memories to a ton of souls. Put them in a blender, and hit frappé!"
This, yes, but the second sentence is interesting. "Oblivious to the true cause of her resurrection, Medusa sets out to take revenge and conquer the three worlds completely.", making her an enemy of Skyword, the Earth (well, it's already the case I guess) and even the Underworld... At least Hades.

Edit: Oh sorry, I thought "Oblivious" meant something else.
Well, this bring nothing new. Sorry again.

majora_787

Smash Hero
It certainly is interesting. Medusa just kind of "passes out" sometimes and wakes up not remembering what happened last night. And her immediate course of action is to take over the heavens and earth. Makes sense.

Erotic&Heretic

Smash Master
It certainly is interesting. Medusa just kind of "passes out" sometimes and wakes up not remembering what happened last night. And her immediate course of action is to take over the heavens and earth. Makes sense.
Well, it's clearly an exaggerated reaction. And it's awesome.

Erotic&Heretic

Smash Master
After a discussion within a french community, a lot a people seems to think Medusa is not relevant anymore, because she only speaks in 4 chapters (compared to Hades presence in the game).

But if we take a look, the chapters are:

Chapter 1-9: Medusa
Chapter 10: Hades and the Wish Seed
Chapter 11-14: Viridi
Chapter 15-17: Aurum's invasion
Chapter 18-22: The chaos Kin
Chapter 23-25: Hades

For an "irrelevant antagonist", her army manage to take more chapters than Viridi and Hades ones. Plus, I do love Hades (who doesn't?) but his abilities really fit more a boss battle in Smash (even if creating moveset is not a problem in Smash). Plus, having Hades as a character wouldn't allow him to speak a lot. And THIS wouldn't deserve Hades :troll:

And also, Medusa got a lot of movesthat can fit in smash in her boss battle.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I wish we could have all three: Pit, Palutena, and Medusa. The original trio!

Luigi#1

Smash Champion
I'm not sure about a 3rd Kid Icarus representative because they have like, 2 games. Maybe a second, but a 3rd is a bit much. Also she's huge. Yes, 5 Mario representatives is alot, but they have over 200 games. I see her as an AT more.

Erotic&Heretic

Smash Master
Well, 3 games for Kid Icarus. Like Earthbound, that had a lot of representation through Brawl (but two playable characters only)
About the size, Palutena is the proof that gods size doesn't matter at all (as she is shown huge and normal).

Last edited:
Top Bottom