• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Quest to Become the Best

Divinokage

Smash Legend
Don't lose your dreams you say, PP? Very good! =D

I hope that you haven't forgotten your RL dreams either because I believe the true dreams lies when you were a child since those dreams were untainted.

And I will say the dream when I was a child was being a strong warrior, my name Shadow came from when I was 4 years old, and then I named myself Kage because Melee only took 4 letters and I knew Kage meant Shadow in Japanese at that time. So now, I wonder why I created that name even before I knew english lol. That kind of dream will stay forever through out all my life.

I'm wondering if anyone else can remember a very important dream like that?? It's basically like what you see yourself as when you reach your full potential?

After childhood, I almost forgot this dream.. until an important friend reminded me that anything is possible in this world if you put your mind to it. He re-taught me how to live properly. Live a life with full of purpose.

Pi

Smash Hero
d/w kage
i'm training

oh here's something meaningful to the thread

the just **** them mindset doesn't work for everyone
though i get the backing for it
it's confidence

for me the best way to enter a match is completely and fully focused at exploiting every opportunity my opponent gives me, meanwhile making smart spacing/jumping/approaching/retreating decisions.

i've never won a said that i didn't expect to win
and i've never had an easy win with the just **** them mindset

my entire focus is between me and my opponent, what is he doing, how can i punish it safely, what can i exploit

Divinokage

Smash Legend
no wonder my life sucks

lmao
Life is always there, what you do with it is your choice.. I believe anyway. The hardest thing to do is not be a victim of your own mind. Even if we are so insignificant compared to the universe. How much are we missing, how much is out there really? I mean cmon..

P.C. Jona

Smash Master
kage it was a joke lol

didnt you read like the 4 posts above that one

ugh kage

lol

TunaCasserole

Smash Journeyman
TFS raiding this thread. Poor Jesiah.

Looks like I might be able to get a ride with the Albany kids, so maybe we'll play some more @ ROM Jesse :p

BBQ°

Smash Champion
hey guys, I'm thinking about making a thread "Battle for #1"

it'll basically be a compilation of all the players that TRULY WANT to become #1, and it will include a bio of them and perhaps some other stuff?

Thoughts/opinions/etc
thanks =D

JesiahTEG

Smash Master
BBQ- you can do it if you wan't but i wouldn't post in it, no offense at all. I want as little hype as possible until I start placing high enough to deserve it. Results :) Who cares about who wants to be #1, it's about who's close to getting there y'know...everyone wants to be the best haha it would get closed soon due to trolling it hink

JesiahTEG

Smash Master
Howtf is Ranmaru a warrior?
LMAO OMG kage is legitimately pissed off because you said that LMAO dude...people have said he's bad, i never said that but i said he wasn't a warrior and he still didn't get mad...but the moment you call someone else a warrior he freaks out lolll kage too funny dude

Divinokage

Smash Legend
LMAO OMG kage is legitimately pissed off because you said that LMAO dude...people have said he's bad, i never said that but i said he wasn't a warrior and he still didn't get mad...but the moment you call someone else a warrior he freaks out lolll kage too funny dude
Lol, I'm not pissed however I cannot have someone else become a warrior without passing by me first. =P I am THE warrior after all.

JesiahTEG

Smash Master
Ok, so if anyone can house me and some other people for ROM please let me know but we're leaving tomorrow and we have no housing because I'm a ******* and procrastinate and we def can't afford a hotel. Let me know if you see this haha, thanks

JesiahTEG

Smash Master
So much I want to say but I know it's gonna take like 5 hours to post lol so I'm gonna do it later. For now- ROM was awesome and I learned so much

huMps

Smash Ace
good job at rom jesse. We gotta play some time this week. Been putting in alot of work with my marth, gotta see how it pays off.

Hope you got some matches recorded

Palpi

Smash Hero
I hope you become the best Jesiah!!!!

Hopefully I visit RIT sometime. My two friends play smash up there, and I think they played ( got ***** ) by you. Names are alex (falcon, peach) and sam (samus, IC). If I visit them, I would really like to play you!

They are still learning...so don't beat them too bad Muahaha!

JesiahTEG

Smash Master
PeePee & Mango

Ok, finally have some time to write about ROM. What a crazy *** tournament. I might have learned more at this tournament than any other I’ve been to. Where to start…
First off congrats to my friend PeePee for taking home the gold. Not only was this man ON during grand finals, but he was playing to win. He lost to KirbyKaze beforehand, but came back to win a close set later on. This just goes to show, people ARE getting better. The metagame IS developing to new heights.

The question is, with PeePee’s first national under his belt, can he continue to win enough to the point where he becomes a top 5 elite player? Some people might say he is already, but some might not. Regardless, after talking to him I know he’s aiming for the top spot.

Also, I think I finally figured out Mango’s “Plan,” so to speak. I (and a lot of people in the community) used to be like, “Ugh, c’mon Mango, don’t sandbag in tournament” whenever he sandbags or just doesn’t care. It’s like, all that talent is being wasted. But, I don’t think he sees it that way.

First off, I’m confident when I say Mango is still the best player in the world. Hands down. I love PeePee and M2K and Hbox but I watched that man play, and even though I stayed with him for a week and watched all of his videos over and over, I’m still amazed at what he’s able to do. That being said, I think Mango’s ok with taking the backseat in regards to the “fame and glory” aspect of being the best. I think he wants other people, especially PeePee to have the spotlight now. However, watching him play other people including Hbox, it’s clear that Mango’s still the best, and whenever he decides to prove a point, he will do it…Hence, him beating Kage with Link and Marth. ( I love you Kage lol )

If Mango FEELS threatened by anyone, ever, I’m sure he’ll do whatever it takes to dominate them, whether it’s money matching them with a low tier, or entering a national to win. But, he has to feel threatened. If people start saying someone’s the best or they’re better than him, he’s not gonna care. Mango seems to live in his own little world when it comes to his perception of things haha. He will always call Hbox’s style gay, but at the same time you see him encouraging PeePee and betting on him to win. Mango doesn’t care what everyone else thinks, only what he thinks.
Another thing too. I think in order for Mango to actually stop entering/caring about tournaments, he wanted the # 1 spot to be passed down to someone he feels is worthy. Regardless of whether or not that’s fair or just, that’s just the way it is.

I could be completely wrong on all of this, btw, but whatever. Since we’re on the topic of Mango, I want to talk about what I learned from watching him play.

JesiahTEG

Smash Master
Mango's Playstyle

I believe Mango has the most efficient play style in Melee. What I mean by that is, I don’t see how it’s possible for anyone to become better than him. The first thing that Mango does differently from everyone else is that he ignores the rules of “staying safe” while pressuring. He doesn’t play in options or patterns. He’s just always in your face, forcing you to do something so he can capitalize. And if there’s any space between you and him, he closes it extremely fast and uses whatever space he has to feint or bait.

An example is Puff is floating off stage and he knows he can’t get there because she’s so far out. Instead of shooting lasers like most people would do, Mango will jump out there sometimes even using his double jump, and he gets as close as possible and the Puff will have to jump away or up to avoid getting hit. Every time she jumps though, she’s losing a jump. Mango’s not throwing out attacks either, he’s just forcing the Jiggs into a worse situation…But, the threat of a bair or nair is always there, and if the Jiggs doesn’t jump away because they don’t want to fall for the pressure, they always run the risk of getting attacked.

Here’s another example. His Marth vs Ganon. Whereas every other Marth dash dances, Mango just spaces his sword right in his opponent’s face, and every time he hits their shield with an attack, his next action is perfectly executed to beat whatever they do. It’s almost frustrating watching how good his close range game is, because I want that power so bad.
I think the main thing that separates Mango’s close range game from mine is, when I swing I miss. When he swings, he hits. I don’t know how to do that.

I try to attack where they’re going to be instead of where they are, but against the best players I end up guessing the wrong spot where they’re going to be. I have to figure it out. There are other great players out there that have different styles and methods they use in order to achieve victory. But on my quest to become the #1 player, I won’t settle for anything but the most efficient style.

Watching Mango, there’s no “being careful” or “waiting for the right opportunity.” It’s just action after action that constantly puts the opponent in a pressured situation, backed up by complete confidence as well as control of his character.

There is one thing I did notice though. His playstyle is not best suited for Marth, and you can tell sometimes when he plays vs. Fox. You can’t just do whatever you want with Marth vs Fox, but Mango doesn’t care and he does anyways. He usually wins still, but he ends up getting DD grabbed a lot and when he whiffs he gets punished.

Also, I’m not going to “steal” or “copy” Mango’s style…I probably couldn't if I tried...However, I do want a complete understanding of his play style, as well as the ability to practically apply it if I need to. I just want that power to be able to do whatever you want and always come out on top.

There’s too many situations in the neutral position that I’m bad at. I’m not able to completely control my opponent and make them do what I want. I end up guessing too much in an attempt to be a step ahead, and against good players a wrong guess equals death.

Top Bottom