• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Question for Olimar mains

brawlerbrad91

Smash Journeyman
Who would you say are the hardest matchups for Olly? I use Pika, who seems to have a bit of trouble w/ Olimar, and Zelda who fares decently, but I'd like to have a good counter for him.

I'd guess someone w/ range and some way to get Pikmin off of him, but I don't know too much about him, so I'm asking you all.

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
try rob. the priority of his aerials is downright confusing.

shrinkray21

Smash Ace
Who would you say are the hardest matchups for Olly? I use Pika, who seems to have a bit of trouble w/ Olimar, and Zelda who fares decently, but I'd like to have a good counter for him.

I'd guess someone w/ range and some way to get Pikmin off of him, but I don't know too much about him, so I'm asking you all.
Check out True's advanced tactics thread, there is a matchup portion of it.

DarkStraw

Smash Apprentice
i have problems with pikachus downsmash.... i dont hardly ever get to play robs :0

most sonic's moves kill pikmin. i find it very hard to use pikmin toss when playing him.

Rapid_Assassin

Smash Master
Metaknight and Falco... I play against 2 different Robs a lot now, and the matchup seems slightly in his favor but not too bad. I still have trouble with Falco. And I've gotten the chance to play against a Metaknight that could consistently kill Olimar below 50%... yuck.

shrinkray21

Smash Ace
I like fighting ROB's...I get at least one spike per game against them with their up b...granted I don't play the best robs very often...I have trouble against MK, Snake, Marth, but none of these matchups are really over the top challenging...I think that a good link or Tink would really beat me up though.

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
yeh, mk's a beast. I'd say he's more broken than beasty... any character that can pull off a 10 hit combo in 3 seconds flat is a hard matchup for anyone. I seem to have a hard time against sheik though for some reason. I haven't found anyone who can address my issue with her...

Jarri

Smash Journeyman
yeh, mk's a beast. I'd say he's more broken than beasty... any character that can pull off a 10 hit combo in 3 seconds flat is a hard matchup for anyone. I seem to have a hard time against sheik though for some reason. I haven't found anyone who can address my issue with her...
I can. A Sheik can really be a pain in the you know what.

Hashire Kazemeijin

Smash Cadet
My hardest match-ups would Pit, Marth, or Wolf. The 2 former are annoying as hell and work as a counter to all of my charas, while the latter has a beastly F-Smash [Altho it can be negated with Olimar's U-Tilt].

Lucario.
How do you all deal with him?
I hate his Aura (thingies).
In my opinion, Lucario is weak to Olimar. He has a single, slow moving projectile which is easily dodged, shielded, whistle armored, or negated with D-Tilt. His smashes have a nasty start-up so Olimar's smashes will hit first if in melee range. Only time I see Lucario having an advantage is in the air due to priority issues. One thing I like doing is turning the tables on a Lucario who tries to gimp Olimar. Knock him away, drop off and immediately tether to the edge. Extremespeed deals no damage so unless he's close enough to direct it onto the stage, he'll swing, miss, and plummet to his doom.

Puddin

Smash Lord

Lol first of all I'd just like to say, everyone has a way of getting Pikmin off =\ all you have to do is attack. And I throw Pikmin on people just so they will attack and give me an opening to run in and grab them or whatever I may be running in for, this wont work every time, and it gets predictable really fast but whatever I can do for some damage eh? Anyways as for match ups I seem to have trouble with Lucario and Falco, well all the Star Fox characters are basically counters to him so meh =\ Also something I'd like to say to Hashire Kazemeijin's post "turning the tables on a Lucario who tries to gimp Olimar. Knock him away, drop off and immediately tether to the edge. " If your high enough in the air to knock Lucario away then there is really no need for some kind of Anti-Gimping strategy, it's when Lucario gets above you that your window of opportunity closes, ever seen a Lucario player spam their Down Air? It's beastly annoying lol

Sikarios

Smash Cadet
WOLF.

Seriously, Wolf is the only character to give my Olimar trouble yet. But I don't have experience fighting every character, keep in mind. On a side note, I don't have many problems fighting Snake and, since Snake seems to be in everyone's S-Tier these days, Oli seems to be a good counter to him.

gorgon.

Smash Ace
Olimar's hardest matchup is another Olimar. Sometimes it's hard to keep track of which Pikmin are yours.
You may have a great damage building weapon, but so does he. And it's as annoying as hell. If the other Olimar has the same strategy as you, you may be able to counter him, but if he plays differently you may have trouble. Not to mention I can't seem to shake to Pikmin off with my smashes, which leaves only a few options for getting rid of Pikmin while still trying to get your opponent.
I also have trouble with Snake, but only because he's definitely the best.

SKEET SHADY

Smash Journeyman
IMO the hardests matchups are MK and ROB. Since MK has so many god **** jumps, a real good MK player could gimp olimar easily=p, and every move ROB has pretty much destroys my precious pikmin=/

ne_Ziggy

Smash Cadet
Uhm, well, the matchups aren't really all that hard for me, but there are a couple characters with a few annoying moves though.

MK's neutral b. Haven't met a character that uses MK yet, but I've seen vids that abuse this move, devastating Olimar's game.

Pit's neutral b. OMG. My friend aims really well with Pit's arrows.

Wolf's forward b and f smash. Well I guess it's my fault for jumping a lot when I need to chuck Pikmin, and my friend gets me with a forward b, although it has yet to kill me. And yes, very much dislike the outranging of the f smash. Wolf's hard to approach for me.

ROB. Those aerials confuse me, because well timed, it seems like it overprioritizes nearly all of Olimar's aerials, plus his neutral b and side b can really catch you off guard.

Another Olimar... I mean, wtf. It becomes a forward b game, and both sides have the ability to shake off pikmin with nair, unless one person has a whole bunch of purples he can abuse to approach safely. On the other hand, the opponent might have that advantage too...

These matchups don't hinder me from 2-3 stocking my opponents anyway (except for the Olimar, which is the toughest battle for me), but I guess these moves can be used against me at better tournaments and such. Not cool.

BlackWaltzX

Smash Lord
My hardest would be... Wolf I guess? Just don't use latch or smashes against him unless 'comboing' and you are fine.

Everyone has their weakness, unless it's perfect like Wolf's Fsmash against anything but grabbing the wolf. Wait... You can grab his F'smash? Ok so maybe it's not as hard as we thought. If you hear him go 'yah', grab. If you hear a scoop noise, duck and upsmash.

For ness, get him off the edge and latch a pikmin to him.

But in the end.. I haven't fought a great rob yet, but he may be the hardest.

Newtwarrior

Smash Cadet
Wolf and Shiek. (Lol, laser and needle spam)
I'm told R.O.B. is hard, but I have yet to go against a serious ROB.

Still, Wolf more than any, his F->A has amazing range, and his laser kills any hopes of using the Pikmin throw

shrinkray21

Smash Ace
ROB is a hard matchup? Really - I've played a few good one (not too many mind you) but they haven't been any harder than most characters...

Rapid_Assassin

Smash Master
Pit isn't bad. Your dtilt > most of his moves. And powershielding > arrows.

Ness is really easy. Side b, Grab, mash a, ftilt. If you get the grab, and the side b was a white one, expect to do about 70+% in about 2 seconds. Get him off the edge, side b again. He's more pathetic off the stage than you are.

Wolf is weird.. If you aren't careful he could destroy your pikmin really quickly. Don't spam side b too much, that's just asking for him to kill them.

Metaknight = @#(*!!!! Seriously I don't know wtf to do vs. him yet...

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
v MK, he's got no approaches.watch for the tornado and the spin thing and shield it out when appropriate. this helped me a lot, though it's very basic.

BlackWaltzX

Smash Lord
v MK, he's got no approaches.watch for the tornado and the spin thing and shield it out when appropriate. this helped me a lot, though it's very basic.
The tornado is his weakness.
He becomes very vulnerable to your up+b. Also, you can hit him from above.

Top Bottom