• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

question for snake users

foxypimp101

Smash Rookie
hi, i'm using a gamecube controller and i was wondering which you guys think is the better way to hold the controll and why,

do you hold it normally with your thumb on xyba or do you use the claw method?

~thanks

etecoon

Smash Hero
I never claw with snake, I tend to only use that a little with flying characters like MK and Kirby

Exia 00

Smash Champion
Hold it normally I guess. I've yet to see a Snake player that claws their controller. :laugh: It would be pretty awesome though.

:023:

xsephirot

Smash Apprentice
My friend plays claw style with his right hand but he's a sheik main since its near impossible getting sheik to DACUS with thumb only.

Tero.

Smash Champion
0.o

Claw method?

I guess I have never knew there were multiple ways to hold a controller o.o
That's probably because you've never played melee.
Switching up the way you hold your controller can simplify doing some things, mostly it's just a matter of preference tho.

That's probably because you've never played melee.
Switching up the way you hold your controller can simplify doing some things, mostly it's just a matter of preference tho.
That would be correct. I have never played melee for a competitive matter. One, I suck at trying to do the techs in it. It took me a month to get the timing of the SHDL for Falco in brawl down <_< (But I wasn't really trying the hardest, I might have tried for a few minutes in a day). Trying to incorporate wavedashing is one thing for occasional use, but to actually input commands after it to make it useful for spacing attacks and such would take me way to long. I typically make the mistake to input a wrong command. I do not know why that is, but it happens to me a lot, even with romeadial games. Another problem I have not that I have played brawl and Smash 64 is that the gravity is a pain, I cannot function offstage without doing some kind of SD some stock, but I suppose that comes from not playing melee enough for most of this.

The biggest problem though is that I never was able to find anyone to play against anyone. I was like 9-10 years old when I picked up melee and it wasn't till 5-6 years later I ever really looked into trying to play it, then brawl came out. Well, brawl has wifi and I can actually play against people, I'll take the game I can actually play against people. Also, there is an appeal factor that is not there. Different controls for both games, so if I play either game, it messes me up for the other and I have to take like an hour to get used to the controls again. Annoying transition each time you want to play the games.

But still, how does the claw method look like?

Sandst0rm

Smash Cadet
I haven't used the claw method for any character since Brawl introduced personalized button mapping. Whatever works for you though, dude. Everyone's got their own way of playing.

Black_Heretic

Smash Lord

Thats what Clawing looks like people who were wondering

and I only claw while playing Diddy or MK, it doesn't really help, I just do >.>

Ahh, I do that occasionally when I am holding the grenade with the B button instead of the X button. When holding with B, I have to use the index finger to hit jump xD

foxypimp101

Smash Rookie
ok thanks for all the input,
i do have another question tho, when i customized my buttons on my wii, i can DACUS with hitting a and then L, but when i try to do that on differen't wii's it doesn't work, can anyone explain why?

nevershootme

Smash Master
I just alterntate styles depending on situations

for peach and mk. i immediately get my finger to the jump and thumb on c-stick and alternate to do tilts and such.

for snake. i use my thumb for most things, and switch fingers around for quick aerials

Sandst0rm

Smash Cadet
Yeah, the settings are only saved on your Wii. You have to make a tag and change the controls on each Wii you play on.

Top Bottom