• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

question to snkae players

misterbushido01

Smash Cadet
i been watching some vids of snake players and i see some of them approaching with nairs
i have been wondering is nair a good move to approach opponents?

-Ran

Smash Master
No. It's used to Punish. Approaching with Snake is mostly going to be done on the ground with F-Tilt. The nair is used to catch an opponent in a failed air dodge when they are recovering to get an easy off the side kill, or when they are on a platform or in cool down from an attack. Overall, Nair isn't used to pressure, since it's going to get you punished vs a Shield, or if they spot dodge forcing you into a laggy landing.

I iHAX I

Smash Rookie
Agreed IMO one of the best approaching moves with snake is his D-Air, and the best part is you dont need all four kicks to connect for it to be a finishing move. If someone has bout 80% or a bit more and you hit them with the last kick, its almost a guarantee finish!

Fizzi

Smash Ace
Slippi.gg
FIZZI#36
Agreed IMO one of the best approaching moves with snake is his D-Air, and the best part is you dont need all four kicks to connect for it to be a finishing move. If someone has bout 80% or a bit more and you hit them with the last kick, its almost a guarantee finish!
I admit I'm not a huge fan of this move, perhaps I just don't know how to use it effectively... but it just has so much landing lag, if they just like, move out of the way, you're going to get punished.

As far as nair goes I agree with the above - it's also decent to mix in when you're recovering, if you often air dodge attacks to get back on stage a nair can be good to catch an opponent off guard.

misterbushido01

Smash Cadet
ahh i c
ive seen so much snake players do nair as an approach in vids
im suprised they never get punished

AlAxe

Smash Journeyman
Nair can be a good approach if you know your opponent is going to jump/dodge. If they shield a lot I'd hold back from using it. A good trick is to quickly double jump and then nair. It looks almost like a normal nair so your opponent comes in to punish but when you land you have no lag whatsoever and can make a surprise attack.

Dair is not a good approach. It's really strong but pretty much just like nair with a smaller hitbox. Dair is useful for attacking through platforms though.

Everence

Smash Apprentice
in any case, snake has better approaches than nair and yeah, you generally want to approach on the ground where snake is at his strongest.

Dark_Flow

Smash Rookie
It can be pretty decent as long as you auto-cancel it.

Check out PC Chris vs Merc matches.

Shady Penguin

Smash Lord
I find a nair approach to be occasionally useful, but I don't think it should be used as a main apporaching method.

The nair can be a great approach on opponents who are in the air or on a platform (U-tilt is often a good choice in these situations as well).

Top Bottom