• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Questions on combos/punishment

:Tally Hoes

Banned via Administration
Do you combo for percent or damage(given a case where you have that said option like maybe sheik or roy are good cases) or do you just keep a fire under their a**. In a case where hit them into the air and cut their options off with projectiles to set up a trap. So that you are always in control.

Also say for falcon combos or the alike of tight combos, how do you do it is it pure prediction or what? I nearly always prepare to punish a sheild or cc instead of thinking i'm about to go combo train.

I know for some punishments there are character only habits you'll see all day like throwing falco near the edge he'll tech to you or in place sheild/shine/sh laser or ics will roll when you respawn nearly always.

Are there any jank dis or anything more common for some
characters?
:phone:

Captain Smuckers

Smash Journeyman
I had a little bit of difficulty understanding exactly what you were asking but I'll try to answer what I think your questions are. You have to remember that the point of the game is to take the other player's stocks, doing combos obviously helps you do that. Whether it be because you gain momentum, give them lots of damage or even just kill them, combos are just a way to get closer to your goal of taking all of the other player's stocks. As for what you were asking about the predictions like throwing a falco near the ledge, yeah, people often have habits that you can figure out as you play them. A very common one is like you said, if you throw a falco near the ledge, he'll often tech towards you because he is terrified to be near the ledge because of how easily he's gimped. Essentially you just have to play your opponent and focus on his habits, try to figure out what they do frequently and punish it.

Avalancer

Smash Journeyman
I try to not extend my combos too far (so they don't escape), and try to finish a combo with a killing move at about 70%-130% (depending on what character i'm fighting against). So I combo kinda for both.

Sorry if it was long winded, i'm disappointed into myself I was just reading a book on speeches on power briefs. Should've paid more attention.

I just figured out how to write up a good post base on that book.

Fuss

Smash Apprentice
I think people don't know when to let a combo go, going for flashiness gets people wrecked a lot of the time. If you -know- you can do something and get away with it sure but knowing when to back off and space yourself is more important. Why do you think Mango is so successful...

ShroudedOne

Smash Hero
Premium
I main Peach...so it's like, "What has Armada done that I can steal?"

Lol, I'm kidding.
Not really.

I combo mainly for the positional advantage and the percent (which is why most people do, I think). If I can get them offstage, that's good too, but I'm just focusing on putting them in a bad position with an extra 20-30 percent

I think people don't know when to let a combo go, going for flashiness gets people wrecked a lot of the time. If you -know- you can do something and get away with it sure but knowing when to back off and space yourself is more important. Why do you think Mango is so successful...
This is well stated and sort of where i'm wanting to go with this. My brain sometimes over flows when I think if I knee a sheild i'll gentlemen/grab or try to running grab a roll but if I hit did they cc I grab then I have the percent and di ito be aware and I feel like it'd be best to prepare for their defenses with my finger there to jab or grab.*

However I won't expect to hit them and i'll not have enough time to knee again so i'll go back to spacing with a poor punishment game.*

This is where I get lost unless i'm ice clinbers or link. For them I can throw out a safe projectile/nair/nana attack when i'm not sure if I can keep the combo going and always be rewarded somehow by space, cutting away options or hit/kill.*

Should I be in the mindset I'll hit or should I not even worry about a combo mindset?

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
I aim to kill people off the top with some kind of dair or up tilt into tipped up smash on the top platform of Battlefield.

My success in tournament largely hinges on my ability to kill the opponent off the top with up smash. If they let me do it, I'm good. If not, I get wrecked.

I'm clearly not you, but if you're talking about sheik I would aim for off the top based moreso on wieghting risk and reward of ending with a fair to edge guard vs if you can't sweetspot your up smash. Like would you prefer them off the edge or high up if your fair or up smah can't kill.

Top Bottom