• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Questions to you: Smashboards your ego-boost?

MrPhox

Tamed Beast
NNID
Mr.Phox
3DS FC
0318-7803-7610
I really pose this question to the Toon Links out there who are on the top end of the spectrum.

The guys who are on the "cutting edge" of toon link fighting.

I can understand people who like the character and want to see others do well with him in tournaments. Usually those people are more casual and share because they know they aren't going to make it there themselves. Just the satisfaction of there fan-favorite will due.

But then there are people who pride themselves by their smash community reputation.
Sharing their information will make them look more important in the community.
Or make them seem like valid/good players.

Maybe somebody wants to establish themselves as a known authority on Toon Link.
Get some recognition.

"I've been playing toon link a long time, I think I would give those kids on the boards a run for their money!"

Those kinds of players have confidence in their play, and are probably relatively unknown/new to the forum.

What else does sharing tips do for you on the boards?

I guess it can keep you on top. Those who are feeding the advice imply that they are sharing some exclusive knowledge to those who have not discovered it yet.

It's a statement of class in itself.

I'm not attacking people with this claim, I'm just a human being like we all are. Just another self-ish yet surprisingly social individual.

I believe everything we do is in self-interest. I think we're wired that way, and to avoid it is to lie to yourself. I look at it from more of an evolutionary standpoint.

Anyway, I know there is an answer I'm missing here and it's: "They share because they want to help people."

But I honestly don't believe that is a truly common case.

Not saying that our sharing isn't helping people, and that helping people isn't involved in the intention itself.

But it doesn't just stop at helping people.
Helping people has always been a smart move for any person. Often if comes with rewards and benefits.

Now my question here is:

If you are one of the top Toon Links, why would you want to share with the community?

The lower toon link's rank on the tiers and tournament rankings, the better you look when you win with him.

The fewer the moves/information you give away, the more unique you seem as a player.

The more you write about toon link, the more the community begins to inherit your style. Thus, the more your enemies will fight against your ideas.

Is popularity enough of a driving force?
Even when the people are somewhat anonymous and detached.

Has a community come to mean this much to people?

Do people who desire public attention and respect on here want it because they lack it in the other quadrants of their life?

No offense to anybody. I'm not popular at all. I actually find that people DISLIKE me in some cases.

I just believe that I teeter on the edge of social and anti-social.

Don't say I would want that to change either.

Some part of me wants recognition, a self-esteem boost, power, prestige, acknowledgement and respect for my posting. But the other half says: "Why bother? What benefit will you REALLY get from helping the community?" And you know what, I think that's a valid question.

Because frankly I'm not interested in social networking with people at my school, let alone strangers on the internet.

I just think I can't comprehend those who come on here truly for the social aspect.
Which is what I frequently forget. I assume everybody on here wants to be the best there is. In my world, I couldn't possibly imagine being a casual player who comes on just for the community aspect.

Also, I might be completely misguided by the average age on here.
At first I assumed people are of a certain maturity level. I thought they were mostly serious hardcore smashers. I think I was mistaken though, there seems to be a lot of young people on here. And I'm sure that since they've had internet access and online video games since before puberty, this is just an average experience for that generation.

I don't consider myself old, but perhaps there isn't the presence that I thought my age bracket had.

I'm 21 btw.

This is kind of getting off topic, but thoughts of all kinds would be interesting.
And for the sake of survey, how old are you?

At a young age, people tend to be very black and white about their opinions. They tend to be more judgmental. Example: Youths are in favor of the death penalty at a higher rate than their older counterparts. They tend to be more zealous, but with it, also impetuous.
With philosophies and ideas that come more from popular culture than their actual living experiences. More routed in fairy-tale ideas of ethics and life expectations.

When I was in highschool I totally fit that bill. Not saying we all do 100%, but there is a reason why the word "maturity" exists.

As youths we all think when something bad happens to us, that it's the worst thing anybody has ever gone through. When we have a crush on a girl, we say that we will lover her forever, and willingly pledge years of promise at an age when we truly don't have any experience being an adult.

Adolescence is interesting because it's when the adult "wants" are present, but the adult experience is not.

And I truthfully do believe this effects the community experience here.
I would have to be honest and say that I don't like the idea of people who look on the smash community for what they miss from their own lives.

By saying that, I truthfully do understand that I could just be missing some understanding here.

So actually, the latter half of this thread is a question to the average gamer.

Ultimately the point I'm getting at in this long-winded post is: Are you here for an ego-boost?

I can't help but get that impression from the countless insulting and negative trolling that happens throughout the boards (and any online community for that matter).

The underachievement and underuse of rigorous mental energies.

As well as even the positive things that are the fundamental principles that allow this community to exist. Such as sharing, an act possibly charged with ego-boosting hope.

your thoughts would be appreciated.

Mr.Fakeman

Smash Journeyman
FINALY! I give you bonus points for making this thread! someone has stated the obvious which no one else had the guts to say! your the man! Now, enough with the praising and what I want to say is that I can more than agree than some people are like this. Not saying this is me, I'm not the best Captain Falcon player but I know what I talk about! I stopped reading half way and said to myself " This thread is not only for Toon Link players, but for every single person on the Boards!". The funny part is that people go indepth in techniques and then you have this disagreement with people who oppose that because they acutally think about it. Where as the people who just type this gibbersh just reply with a vauge, but a 'not going anywhere' sort of statment. I get what you mean mate, I really do! and thanks heaps for the thread! (I'll keep my eye on this one)

Rocann

Smash Lord
Come on... you joined in 2006. You know that the smash community is all about helping one another. That IS the real response 90% of the time. Plus, everybody pulls for their own character and helping others get good at that character will help the character do better. I wouldn't say very much of anything here at all is in self-interest with the exception of a few players.

Personally, I'm here to read tourney listings/results/meet cool people/keep up with new techniques so I can keep winning.

Sosuke

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
8132-9932-4710
I just add stuff to help our Toon Link users. I mean, how often do you see people want to leave because hes too much work? Or too hard to win with and stuff. Na, forget that. Toon Link's have to stand loud and proud. Inputting, to me, is just sorta a motivational boost to the community and a step in the right direction for helping Toon Link as a charterer overall. Give to the community, they give back. Helping the community is helping yourself in a sorta way too.

Like, lets say someone just discovered SHDA. They share the info. Everyones like "omg this is so cool! blah blah blah". So people go test it out and use it and stuff. Then we see people going like " hey guys! did you know you can pull out a bomb, then quickdraw all in a short hop?". And it just leads to more things. Having more minds thinking about the meta game is always a plus. People need to be informed, thats how your charecter advances. One guy can't just go out there and **** all the tourneys....well he can, but if he/she shares everything, theres a high chance that stuff he/she missed and that other members of the community can find out.

Toon Link's diverse enough for play-style similarities to not be as much of a problem as for other charecter boards. So I don't really care about that. When I see someone who plays like me, I just do more impractical things that other people think are stupid to do.

TLMSheikant

Smash Master
I just add stuff to help our Toon Link users. I mean, how often do you see people want to leave because hes too much work? Or too hard to win with and stuff. Na, forget that. Toon Link's have to stand loud and proud. Inputting, to me, is just sorta a motivational boost to the community and a step in the right direction for helping Toon Link as a charterer overall. Give to the community, they give back. Helping the community is helping yourself in a sorta way too.

Like, lets say someone just discovered SHDA. They share the info. Everyones like "omg this is so cool! blah blah blah". So people go test it out and use it and stuff. Then we see people going like " hey guys! did you know you can pull out a bomb, then quickdraw all in a short hop?". And it just leads to more things. Having more minds thinking about the meta game is always a plus. People need to be informed, thats how your charecter advances. One guy can't just go out there and **** all the tourneys....well he can, but if he/she shares everything, theres a high chance that stuff he/she missed and that other members of the community can find out.

Toon Link's diverse enough for play-style similarities to not be as much of a problem as for other charecter boards. So I don't really care about that. When I see someone who plays like me, I just do more impractical things that other people think are stupid to do.
Sasukes just summed it all up. My thoughts exactly.

urdailywater

Smash Hero

All I can really say was just summed up. I don't feel like reposting what he just said in different words.

I don't care about E-Rep or anything around that sort.

VietGeek

Smash Hero
The reputation from helping others simply strives us to further our cause.

As humans, we like to be rewarded, acknowledged, and praised for our contributions. Not from ourselves, but by others.

We are made to have a self-nurturing nature. Rarely does one help others simply for the sake of helping others, with no gain for themselves in some way or form.

At least that's what I think.

I will agree with you this generation's presence of the Internet has led to a lot more judgmental, seemingly forced opinions on the Internet. As part of this new generation, it has become apparent that hate, self-gratification, and all that sort has risen and typically the amount of 'idiocy' on large social networking sites (including the likes of Youtube and GameFAQs) comes from the younger spectrum of Internet users (typically the 13-15 age group, which I am part of).

Of course, the overall anonymity of the Internet has led to many 'abandoning' social formalities. We feel that we are not quite as responsible for our words or actions on the Internet as we are in real-life, as our identities are hidden behind a user name, which does not mean anymore than what you represent yourself as as an Internet persona. Proof of this is the trashtalking online in competitive communities, which rarely are taken up in person.

Pretty much all of us are a little detached formally on the Internet. You may see sides of people you'll otherwise never see a glimpse of. People open up more on the Internet ( both negatively/positively).

Cloud Cleaver

Smash Journeyman
I'm mainly here to learn. Just because I'm too broke/distant/lazy to compete doesn't mean I can't improve my game!

Personally, I hate all the Wiki articles about the smashers. If you want glory that badly, try a game that most people in society respect, at least. It's just unnecessary ego-driven BS, IMO. It adds nothing to the Wiki, the public knowledge base, or the value of Smash as a whole. Many people on SmashBoards are polite and helpful, but I've always detected a strong undercurrent of elitism.

Mota

"The snake, knowing itself, strikes swiftly"
You make an excellent point!

I believe there are people on the boards that do come here for an ego-boost, authority and recognition.

I'm 15 Btw and I come to the Toon Link boards because I want to learn more and improve my own Toon Link, then in return I try to input my knowledge where i see fit and help others. Sure, in a way I do feel good when I help others and I guess my ego does slightly increase lol but then doesnt everyone feel that way? We're only human.

Ok I'll try a stab at this...It's like a Doctor has the cure for a disease, lets say it's Cancer. Why would he share it with the world when he can just keep it for himself and charge people ridicoulous amounts of money$ for him too cure them?
Because its for the GREATER GOOD?! It would aid others and improve mankinds knowledge of Science leading too other wonderful and magical discoveries and techniques!...Meh screw it you get the picture...I hope xD

Ahh Snap i just read SasukeBowsers Post after typing that^....Yea what he said.

Lemon?

Smash Apprentice
I come here to read stuff about TL, because i want to get better with him.

I agree with pretty much everything you said, and thats exactly how i feel, i just couldn't be assed to make a thread about it, but i guess i wont have to anymore :p

Anyway, yeah, most people on these boards (not the TL board, i mean the general, tactical, etc) don't write those looooooooooong ass threads just because they felt like it.. most of them want recognition, they want to be popular on these boards, I mean, I've seen the same "informative" threads being posted over and over again on smashboards, threads (thesis) about spacing, AT's, whatever. Some threads you can see are posted just to help people, others are just a way of getting attention but people are just like that.

Now my question here is:

If you are one of the top Toon Links, why would you want to share with the community?
I'm not a top TL player but ill answer the question anyway. If i were to share something here, it would be just to help improve TL's game, i couldnt care less about my reputation here, it's my favorite character and id want people to be better with him, I guess im a nice guy? :p

Are you here for an ego-boost?
LOL hell no, im here to learn more about my character, some people here are though. But im not a top TL player so, i guess it doesn't really matter what i think.

I can't help but get that impression from the countless insulting and negative trolling that happens throughout the boards (and any online community for that matter).
Normal person + anonymity + audience = fuckwad

Plural said:
You're overthinking it. People help each other=greater results.
LOL, if only everyone thought that way.

Im 20 by the way

ImpactAR

Smash Ace
Well, I post my strategies and opinions because it'll help push TL game play as a whole. If many more TL players are testing it they may find something and share it later. So in essence, what sasukebowser said.

I do have a hidden agenda, though. Personally, I can't go to too many tournaments and the older I get the harder it is for me to find the time. So, hopefully, perhaps someone heeds my advice and find that it greatly helped them in tournaments and come back and let me know that. So it'll feel like a small victory to me.

If you look to the side, I've been here since 2004 yet I have very few posts for my time. It's not that I have any leave of absences. I tend not to post unless it is related smash. So I am active, but I won't post and bump up useless threads. My posts, majority of the time, will be on topics that relates to game play , rules, or a tournament.

I have to admit, I would like a little rep here not because I want people know who is knowledgeable and who is just guessing. But to me it's not a big deal because after all, it's the internet.

QUIVO

Smash Master
I'll be honest..

I come here to help out other TL's. I don't really experiment with new techniques anymore, but if i were to discover something neat, I'd tell people . I'd want the other TL's to do the same here. Helping out with character matchups are fun for me lol.

Also, I am a bit hesitant posting my videos up. I don't want everyone to copy my TL's playstyle. I'd rather be unique. I don't want people to start maining TL as much either. When I go to tournaments people watch me and are amazed. I always get worried everyones going to main him and it'll be nothing but Toon Link dittos.

Lobos

Smash Master
I use the boards for 3 things......find/share new things, find players around me, and find out about tournaments. I don't get an ego boost for posting things that help others, I get an ego boost from placing well in tournaments.

TLMarth

Smash Ace
Lol TL dittos.
Like Marth in Melee.
yay.

lol Lobos gets ego boost from winning tourneys not posting

Basically, we get back sometimes what we put in. We don't know everything.

EDIT
Also, I agree with VG
combo
that we are all in some way egotistical. Is there a way we can do something good without at least feeling good? We know we are doing the right thing, the necessary thing, in the case of donation, for example, and so we get an ego boost. Even anonymous donation.
So I think we cannot be completely unselfish.

MrPhox

Tamed Beast
NNID
Mr.Phox
3DS FC
0318-7803-7610
Lol TL dittos.
Like Marth in Melee.
yay.

lol Lobos gets ego boost from winning tourneys not posting

Basically, we get back sometimes what we put in. We don't know everything.

EDIT
Also, I agree with VG
combo
that we are all in some way egotistical. Is there a way we can do something good without at least feeling good? We know we are doing the right thing, the necessary thing, in the case of donation, for example, and so we get an ego boost. Even anonymous donation.
So I think we cannot be completely unselfish.

yeah, that's the kind of thing i'm talking about.

as human beings self-interest is always a factor.

i'm a firm believer in things being gray rather than black and white.
Which means that even the most charitable people have a small undercurrent of selfishness. While even the greediest selfish person may have at least a glimmer of care in them.

It's all about ratios after that. What is the major intention. I even think the selfish parts are unintentional many times.

As humans we polarize and separate things as two extreme choices to clarify the boundaries and round the edges of concepts so that we can create a rule system that applies to the masses.

Rather than a spectrum of individual variation. Which is hard to tell who your enemies are.

Mota

"The snake, knowing itself, strikes swiftly"
Now my question here is:

The lower toon link's rank on the tiers and tournament rankings, the better you look when you win with him.

The fewer the moves/information you give away, the more unique you seem as a player.

The more you write about toon link, the more the community begins to inherit your style. Thus, the more your enemies will fight against your ideas.

This is M2K all over.
He don't want anyone uploading vids of his MK or saying anything about it.
Keeping his playstyle a secret O__O

QUIVO

Smash Master
I do have a ton of self-interest, but I do want to help the community.
Like when people tell me what to do vs tlink, i'll tell them but I'll be a step ahead. I sometimes want them to know these things.

There's no denying everyone has self-interest.

TLMarth

Smash Ace
Do we play for money? This question is related in that: not sharing with community would seem according to TheChene to say that you win tourneys all the time.

Top Bottom