• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A Quickplay and Battle Arena

StoicPhantom

Smash Ace
I am having a hard time with beating people online. I dont know why i keep losing but i am. I main ness. My gsp is low and i am embarrassed. I really want to play better so i can play elite smash and get into competitive. Can someone please help me become a better player? ive even watched youtube videos on how to play better but i need help still...
That really depends on what you are having trouble with. Online is different from offline to the point that some otherwise good players have difficulty playing online. But it also takes time and experience to become good, so you might a lose a lot at first if you are new. I lost quite a lot when I first started playing and it took a couple months before I started getting good.

That being said, I'd encourage you to study how to play Ness and watch high level Ness players like FOW. Even if he is playing well outside your league currently, you can still get an idea of what moves to use, when and where. Watching and trying to emulate top players of your character is the quickest path to getting good. Even if what they are doing seems tricky, look up how to do them and practice them in Training Mode.

Once you've got an idea of how to play your character and have practiced their moves and techniques to familiarity, then it really is a matter of gaining as much experience as you can. Gather as much information as you can about your character and tips on how to fight characters, but also gets lots of practical experience, so you can train yourself physically and mentally and get comfortable with working under pressure.

Earthboundfan1

Smash Rookie
That really depends on what you are having trouble with. Online is different from offline to the point that some otherwise good players have difficulty playing online. But it also takes time and experience to become good, so you might a lose a lot at first if you are new. I lost quite a lot when I first started playing and it took a couple months before I started getting good.

That being said, I'd encourage you to study how to play Ness and watch high level Ness players like FOW. Even if he is playing well outside your league currently, you can still get an idea of what moves to use, when and where. Watching and trying to emulate top players of your character is the quickest path to getting good. Even if what they are doing seems tricky, look up how to do them and practice them in Training Mode.

Once you've got an idea of how to play your character and have practiced their moves and techniques to familiarity, then it really is a matter of gaining as much experience as you can. Gather as much information as you can about your character and tips on how to fight characters, but also gets lots of practical experience, so you can train yourself physically and mentally and get comfortable with working under pressure.
Thank you! I think you are right. :)

Grimel

Smash Cadet
I am starting to kick everyone after one game from my arena now. No one rematches after they win a game doesn't matter if it's the first game or not. As soon as they win one they leave. I am not going to give anyone matchup practice if they aren't willing to do the same. I went from quickplay to arena in hope people would play more than one game. Guess I was wrong.

Last edited:

1FC0

Smash Lord
I am starting to kick everyone after one game from my arena now. No one rematches after they win a game doesn't matter if it's the first game or not. As soon as they win one they leave. I am not going to give anyone matchup practice if they aren't willing to do the same. I went from quickplay to arena in hope people would play more than one game. Guess I was wrong.
The salt is strong with this one.

Firox

Smash Master
To be fair, you do main Inkling. People can only take death by Splat roller so many times before they run away screaming. C'est la vie. /JK

Grimel

Smash Cadet
To be fair, you do main Inkling. People can only take death by Splat roller so many times before they run away screaming. C'est la vie. /JK
I know that my main might have something to do with it but a similar argument could be made for many other characters. I also play a couple of other characters online and it's mostly the same thing. I recently faced a Sonic and a Palutena who rage quit against my Byleth.

Last edited:

1FC0

Smash Lord
Besides R.O.B. there is not honest character in this game. R.O.B. has a bury but it's a really short one, not even enough to finish a single taunt. I guess it's a bit too honest.

Firox

Smash Master
I know that my main might have something to do with it but a similar argument could be made for many other characters. I also play a couple of other characters online and it's mostly the same thing. I recently faced a Sonic and a Palutena who rage quit against my Byleth.
I was just messing with you about the Inkling thing. To your point, a lot of people are just bad sports that hate to lose regardless of the circumstances. I think that's why you see so much rage quitting online in general. I personally see it less in Arena but I can understand if you're still seeing it there.

davidjdavid

Smash Rookie
I am been playing online battle arenas with some friends for awhile now and we each pick different stages. It has never picked the same stage twice until all of our stages have been played at least once. Sometimes it picks the same person's stages if they change the level. I know that if someone picks random for their stage selection it acts as though the person doesn't care and will pick a stage someone selected.

I am just really curious if it is totally random or if there is a way the game decides which stages to pick. Say if I keep changing the stage I selected after every round will it sometimes pick my stage choice back to back? What if two people pick the same stage will it default to that stage if a third person picks a different stage or will it just pick one person's stage randomly?

mjwgamer805

Smash Rookie
Can someone please tell me how the match making works works for QP?

I get up to decent gsp and lose like 8 straight matches (different opponents) getting matched with say 9.5 mil gsp players when I'm dropping (a LOT) down to like 9.0 or 8.9 mil. Are there really THAT few players online that I'm only matching up with people that are (no offense) online try hards? I understand location is a key determinate and I'm in CO, but like wtf? I often try to get different characters into Elite Smash only to play my first elite smash game against someone WAY 'better' and get kicked back down again...is it like this for everyone?

Nintendo does some awesome things but the online for this game is pretty much s*** if you ask me.

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
Can someone please tell me how the match making works works for QP?

I get up to decent gsp and lose like 8 straight matches (different opponents) getting matched with say 9.5 mil gsp players when I'm dropping (a LOT) down to like 9.0 or 8.9 mil. Are there really THAT few players online that I'm only matching up with people that are (no offense) online try hards? I understand location is a key determinate and I'm in CO, but like wtf? I often try to get different characters into Elite Smash only to play my first elite smash game against someone WAY 'better' and get kicked back down again...is it like this for everyone?

Nintendo does some awesome things but the online for this game is pretty much s*** if you ask me.
Location definitely plays a role in who you'll face in qp as does your preferred rules setting and your connection speed.

Mike 223

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW-1792-4156-5513
So, I Was Finally About To Get Steve In Elite, Just A Win Away (I Think), Then I Win The Battle, Annoncer Calls Game, The Game Lags (I'm Next To My Router It Is NOT Me), I Go To Home Menu But Don't Close Smash (If You Go To Home It Doesn't Disconnect The Battle, Then It Settles And I Don't Gain Nor Does My Opponent Lose GSP, What Happened Here?

Last edited:

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
So, I Was Finally About To Get Steve In Elite, Just A Win Away (I Think), Then I Win The Battle, Annoncer Calls Game, The Game Lags (I'm Next To My Router It Is NOT Me), I Go To Home Menu But Don't Close Smash (If You Go To Home It Doesn't Disconnect The Battle, Then It Settles And I Don't Gain Nor Does My Opponent Lose GSP, What Happened Here?
When a match disconnects even if you aren't the one responsible for dropping no GSP will be gained (or lost). Many times a losing player will rapidly disconnect to purposefully "jip" you of your GSP reward for beating them because bitter players are bitter.

Mike 223

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW-1792-4156-5513
When a match disconnects even if you aren't the one responsible for dropping no GSP will be gained (or lost). Many times a losing player will rapidly disconnect to purposefully "jip" you of your GSP reward for beating them because bitter players are bitter.
Yeah, I Was Suspecting They Disconnected After Game Was Called, But Hasn't Nintendo Made It To Where If You Disconnect You Lose GSP?

Last edited:

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
Yeah, I Was Suspecting They Disconnected After Game Was Called, But Hasn't Nintendo Made It To Where If You Disconnect You Lose GSP?
They lose it, yours stays the same. Since you won they're gonna lose GSP anyway so at least they can rob you of your rank increase. They also get a warning for unsportsmanlike conduct and if they do it too frequently they are temporarily banned.

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
Assholes. All of them.

Mike 223

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW-1792-4156-5513
They lose it, yours stays the same. Since you won they're gonna lose GSP anyway so at least they can rob you of your rank increase. They also get a warning for unsportsmanlike conduct and if they do it too frequently they are temporarily banned.
Well They Didn't Lose GSP

Mike 223

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW-1792-4156-5513
Lol, I Just Hopped Into Another Online Battle And I Was Against A Wolf Who Was Destroying Me At First, He Sent Me Offstage (Then Either I Went Full Power Or He Just Choked) My Character Was Really High Up, And Maybe He Thought I Would Go Low And He Did A Run-off Fair Or Back Air And Didn't Hit Me And Died, Then Later He Was Shielding And I Down Smashed And He Rolled Behind Me So I Thought "Ok He Rolled", Then, Later On, He Shielded Again And I Down Smashed And He Rolled AGAIN, So I Hit Him, I Ended Up Winning And Thought "That Was A Good First Match"

YossarianPaso

Smash Rookie
Folks!
First post here, please be patient with me.
I do have a few questions about the online modes, maybe you can help:
1) Is there any matchmaking in the 1 on 1 Online Tourney? Does it work like in the QP? The reason I ask this is because when I play with my main (6M GSP, I know I am not very good at this game) I get massacred, I lose at the 1st match of the bracket 9 out of 10 times; if I choose other characters that I don't use often and have abysmal GSP I feel the opponent is more manageable (I still lose because I am not familiar with the character)
2) Do good players mostly play in the 1vs1 Online Tourney? I am asking because in the 4 players Smash Tourneys I always have a chance, it feels like the opponents are way weaker than in the 1vs1
3) Has anyone noticed that the opponents skill also depend on the time of the day? I am in US, east coast. If I play 9-10PM I get destroyed in 1 minute in a flurry of combos. Sunday morning: it seems I am on par with anyone

Thanks!

Mike 223

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW-1792-4156-5513
I Can Answer 2 For You, Yeah Better Players Are More Likely To Play 1 On 1 Tourneys, Free For Alls With Items On A Time Battle Is To Chaotic For People Who Don't Just Play For Fun (Myself Included).

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
After every game, the screen reverts to a page with the stats of each fighter- number of KOs (to whom and by whom), damage, etc.
I like to look at these to see how I did, and what I can improve upon.

However, frequently the opponents tend to click through it so quickly, that I do not get a chance to see their stats before their section closes out.

Is there a way to view, beyond this?

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
After every game, the screen reverts to a page with the stats of each fighter- number of KOs (to whom and by whom), damage, etc.
I like to look at these to see how I did, and what I can improve upon.

However, frequently the opponents tend to click through it so quickly, that I do not get a chance to see their stats before their section closes out.

Is there a way to view, beyond this?
Have you tried recording it? I don't remember if the info shows on a saved match but with capture card /stream alternative you could rewatch that part in slow motion etc

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Have you tried recording it? I don't remember if the info shows on a saved match but with capture card /stream alternative you could rewatch that part in slow motion etc
I haven't... that is a lot to go through for every single match.

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
I haven't... that is a lot to go through for every single match.
Indeed. Unfortunately the easy solution doesn't exist. You cannot control another player's window and thus some players (like myself) mash a button throughout until the training room reappears.

Some players actually flash you by hitting a and b alternately so their window opens and closes rapidly.

Overall gsp is meaningless. But in case it's important to you here are some ranges to keep in mind:.

Beginner 10k to 2 million
Average basic understanding 2 mil to 4 mil
Good fundamental understanding and use of AT (advanced techniques) 4mil to 7 mil
Excellent understanding of fundamental and heavy use of AT 8mil+ includes elite)

Use them to learn the average threshold for a character gsp level entering elite.

Don't focus on GSP though. It's a good guage if you get your ruleset 80 to 90 percent of the time. Below that your losses will begin to result more from deficiency in your ability to handle unusual non-competitive obstacles. Battle Arena tends to eliminate this better than Background Match Making.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Indeed. Unfortunately the easy solution doesn't exist. You cannot control another player's window and thus some players (like myself) mash a button throughout until the training room reappears.

Some players actually flash you by hitting a and b alternately so their window opens and closes rapidly.

Overall gsp is meaningless. But in case it's important to you here are some ranges to keep in mind:.

Beginner 10k to 2 million
Average basic understanding 2 mil to 4 mil
Good fundamental understanding and use of AT (advanced techniques) 4mil to 7 mil
Excellent understanding of fundamental and heavy use of AT 8mil+ includes elite)

Use them to learn the average threshold for a character gsp level entering elite.

Don't focus on GSP though. It's a good guage if you get your ruleset 80 to 90 percent of the time. Below that your losses will begin to result more from deficiency in your ability to handle unusual non-competitive obstacles. Battle Arena tends to eliminate this better than Background Match Making.
THAT is a bummer. If another player flashes through, it isn't even possible to see if it was a close match.

Crazy Hand 2001

Banned via Warnings
NNID
ForGloryOnly2014
I thought you were supposed to have access to one of either beginner only or elite only arenas, but I cannot create an arena of either type using my friend’s account

what is up?

Last edited:

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
I thought you were supposed to have access to one of them, but I cannot create an arena of either type using my friend’s account

what is up?
I seem to remember there were some odd changes to battle arena recently but I don't know the specifics. When using your friend's account how are you actually doing it? Like did you make a new profile on your switch for them?

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
exactly what i did
I am not sure then I was going to suggest you do that but you did it already... So when you are in quickplay there's no characters in Elite mode yet right? Supposedly you can only Access beginner arenas if you haven't unlocked elite smash...

Crazy Hand 2001

Banned via Warnings
NNID
ForGloryOnly2014
I am not sure then I was going to suggest you do that but you did it already... So when you are in quickplay there's no characters in Elite mode yet right? Supposedly you can only Access beginner arenas if you haven't unlocked elite smash...
no characters are in elite smash, as far as I can tell

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
So has anyone else noticed quickplay has dried up compared to even just a couple months ago? I've only gotten like 2 team battles out of maybe 25 or so, they're all pretty much 1v1 or 3 way

Top Bottom