• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Quite the conundrum.

Tri10

Smash Cadet
NNID
chambergojd
So I'm a dedicated Bowser main since day one, mainly following the hype after SDCC and sticking with the big guy. I'd say I have a good grasp on the character and can play him well. There's only one problem I have though, and that's no practice against anyone besides my brothers. I've never gone to a tournament since there's nothing near (believe me, I've tried), no competitive players where I live, and I have little to no matchup experience besides Ness who my brother mains to a decent level, but not good enough for practice. I seriously want to improve, and I've tried online. However the lag where I live is very bad because of some cheap connection. Can't get a Lan adapter either. I need help please.

Hitman JT

The Infinite One
NNID
JT.Hitman
3DS FC
1435-5432-6684
Venture out to wherever there IS a scene, or gather your brothers + some friends who might be interested and start one. Your only options, really.

Tri10

Smash Cadet
NNID
chambergojd
Hitman JT Hitman JT Just saying real quick, your Bowser is amazing. I've tried to possibly start a scene but either everyone's too busy or they just aren't interested. With the other, I should've mentioned but at the moment we have no means of transportation. I realize I might be being impatient right now, but should I just wait until a scene eventually comes close to where I live?

Hitman JT

The Infinite One
NNID
JT.Hitman
3DS FC
1435-5432-6684
Don't know what else to tell you then other than investing in better internet. How do you know there are no scenes nearby? Have you checked the regional forums already? Tried Facebook? Looked into scenes for other games to see if they'd have even the least bit of interest in Smash? Where do you live, anyway?

Also thanks :yeahboi:

Zapp Branniglenn

Smash Lord
I was fortunate enough to witness a Smash scene blossom in SoCal. Project M back in demo 2.0. Before then, people definitely played and had side tournaments to Brawl nights at the usual venues. But when enough of us were gathering on Facebook and other chatrooms, we quickly surpassed Brawl as the main event. Turning 20 entrant days to 40 entrants, to 70-100 for bi-weeklies. The attention PM was getting exploded throughout 2012, and I was just a high school senior making hour long drives to Super Arcade to play with friends. One point I want to make is that waiting for a scene to develop around you is not an option. Smash 4 is not going to get any more popular over time. Yes, it still gets updates, but people that play other fighting games already know how they feel about Smash 4. And they're not interested in joining the game unless they're convinced things have changed, or it's more interesting than they first thought.

So, my advice is get in touch with as many dedicated players as you can. Start a regional Facebook group, investigate your school for other players, look up whatever major tourney venues in your state have at least side tournaments for Smash. You might be surprised. If there's a Melee scene in your area, you may already be good in asking them to host Smash 4 on the side. I don't have any experience starting a tournament. But you can always use your own home as a venue for when things are still small. Definitely host smashfests for players to fight people other than siblings and usual friends. There's nothing more hype than seeing that one guy who's doing crazy things with Samus or Pac-Man that you've never seen. I've heard of people writing all kinds of guides on this site for tournaments and building a smash scene.

Tri10

Smash Cadet
NNID
chambergojd
Yeah, I live right on the border between NJ and PA, it's pretty empty here. The closest tournament to here was at Shots Fired from early this year. It was literally the next town over, a walk away and I missed it.

Hitman JT

The Infinite One
NNID
JT.Hitman
3DS FC
1435-5432-6684
Heh.......heh heh heh....

As someone who used to live in that same general vicinity I can definitely tell you that you aren't looking hard enough.

Cronoc

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Cronoc
From going to this link it looks like there are a lot of things going on in NJ and PA areas. If you can't drive, you may have to wait until that becomes an option. Otherwise you could see about upgrading your internet, getting on the closest facebook group and playing some local players online, along with smashladder.com and for glory.

Tri10

Smash Cadet
NNID
chambergojd
I'll see to it that I take all these suggestions and try harder. Thanks guys for the support, glad to be a part of this little section of the forum.
Heh.......heh heh heh.....
I laughed way harder at that then I should have XD

Top Bottom